> Favorite Authors?
Bookmark and Share
j Padraig moore 
Posted: 19-Jul-2007, 06:38 AM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian

Group: Celtic Nation
ZodiacBirch

I scrolled thru this entire topic and cannot believe I had not posted a reply to it yet. My list of favorites,as of today...
Tolkien
Bernard Cornwell
Larry McMurtry
...for now
PMEmail Poster               
jime307 
Posted: 13-Nov-2007, 11:41 PM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian

ZodiacReed

Realm: Jackson Hole, Wyoming USA

male

I have a few that I like, but none so much as T.A. Barron, he's a great writer, and always puts a neat nature twinge in his books. Such as in The Great Tree of Avalon, and The Lost Years of Merlin, series'.

--------------------

St. Patrick's Day countdown banner
PMEmail PosterUsers WebsiteMy Photo Album               View My Space Profile.
Lil 
Posted: 30-Nov-2007, 07:08 AM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian
Group Icon

Group: Wales
ZodiacHolly

Realm: Spring Hill, Florida, USA

female

I'm a bibliophile myself, and our oldest daughter is one as well. Her favorites are V.C. Andrews and Jude Deveraux. I used to read V.C. as well, but kind of grew out of them.

I like historicals and paranormals, as well as scifi and fantasy.

I read

David Eddings, (all of the series he has done so far, but the Belgariad and Malloreon are favorites by far!)

Terry Brooks

Mercedes Lackey

Piers Anthony

Jude Deveraux (old stuff, none of the recent one in the last couple of years)

Julie Garwood, also mostly old stuff, but I like some of the suspense ones as well

Karen Marie Moning~ I haven't gotten to the new series yet, but I love the Highlanders/Druids series, I think Adam's story is my favorite.

Christina Skye for me, as well, I love Draycott Abbey, it's very funny in places and has a lot of heart.

Sherrilyn Kenyon/Kinley MacGregor ~(The newest KM just hit the shelves this week and last month were two by SK)

J.R. Ward ~(If you haven't read these you are missing a LOT! Modern era vampires, definitely romance, but with a lot of action that guys seem to like as well. By far my favorite paranormal author!!!)

Stephen King~ I love love love The Stand, so much I have 3 copies of it so far, lol, one original, and two expanded, one in hardback with illustrations and I watch it every time it's on Sci Fi. (I will fight about that one with the hubby, lol)
I have heard The Mist, but I haven't read it or seen the movie yet, though I do want to.

Dean Koontz~ I used to love him, but for a long time I couldn't read him, one of his novels scared me too much. Specifically I love the Frankenstein series and I want the third one!!!!!

I'm doing a paper for my college course about 16th century literature and discovering there is so much more to it that just Shakespeare, Christopher Marlowe is very interesting.
PMEmail Poster               
pretentiouswombat 
  Posted: 30-Nov-2007, 03:43 PM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian

ZodiacHolly

Realm: Georgia

female

This year at Dragon*Con, I was lucky enough to meet several of my favourite authors, including:

Terry Brooks

Peter David

Kevin J. Anderson and his wife, Rebecca Moesta

They are all just the nicest people. Peter David has quite the sense of humour - he likes Eddie Izzard and threw out a joke of his which few people in the audience "got" - I was one of the few. I really enjoy his humourous books - the Sir Apropos of Nothing series has a parody of Lord of the Rings as the first chapter in the second book (The Woad to Wuin) and it is a hoot.

Terry Brooks has a beautiful way with words. I love to read him after finishing some other author's work with less-than-stellar verbiage. His Magic Kingdom series is one of my faves - I haven't been able to put aside enough time to submerse myself in the Shannara series.

I'm rereading the Outlander series these days in addition to lots of non-fiction. One book I would highly recommend is "The New Feminine Brain" by Mona Lisa Schulz, M.D., Ph.D. It is definitely enlightening.

Now to peruse some of the older posts on this topic to note some of the books I'm going to have to add to my reading list.

--------------------
Check out my new blog at www.dilettantesdilemma.blogspot.com
Patti, The Celtic Pretentious Wombat

Feel the Teal! The year is 1599, and a new musical sensation is sweeping the youth of England! Dude! Life is Good! Visit The Lost Boys Online
PMEmail PosterUsers Website               View My Space Profile.
mainopsman 
Posted: 23-Feb-2008, 08:33 PM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian
Group Icon

Group: Founder
ZodiacBirch

Realm: Dundalk, Maryland

male

My book interests a wide and varied, this is alist of some of the authors I enjoy for a relaxing read:

Tom Clancy
Edgar Allen Poe
Jack London
H. G. Wells
Mark Twain
Isaac Asimov
Jules Verne
Edgar Rice Burroughs (his mars series is great)
Fredrick Forsyth
Kathleen and Michael Gear (a fantastic series)
Ben Bova
All Biographies, and History

This just a few, but I'm an addicted reader, even read the oatmeal box over and over at breakfast.

--------------------
Dedicate some of your life to others. Your dedication will not be a sacrifice. It will be an exhilarating experience because it is intense effort applied toward a meaningful end. Dr. Thomas Dooley
PMEmail Poster               
ranger 
Posted: 20-Aug-2008, 02:41 PM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian

ZodiacElder

Realm: Western Kentucky

male

Without a doubt, my favorite has to be Tolkien. I don't believe that anyone will ever again create the intricate and encompassing world that he created, down to the languages!!! I guess their is not enough that can be said about him that hasn't already been covered in the last 60 years.

Another fave is Terry Brooks. Pretentiouswombat, if you do get the time to read the Shannara series...do it! It is well worth it. It is another one that you won't be able to put down until the whole series is read. I would suggest going to his website and checking out the order that they go in, because when I started it, he had not written the "prelude" yet. It's not a must, but it does help when you get to the "Sword" series.

--------------------
"...so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."

'The Lord of the Rings' - Book one
PMEmail Poster               
Leelee 
Posted: 21-Aug-2008, 02:25 PM
Quote Post

Lady Leleanda - Mystic Dreamer
Group Icon

Group: Fellowship of the Ring
ZodiacIvy

Realm: Alberta, Canada

female

Diana Gabaldon, David Eddings, J.R.R. Tolkien, Stephen King (The Stand was the best), Dean Koontz, Robert Ludlum, J.K. Rowling etc. etc. etc. book.gif

--------------------
Slàinte!

Truth in our hearts. Strength in our hands. Consistency in our tongues.

Beauty is not just all around us, but within us....

"Mo nighean donn," he whispered, "Mo chridhe. My brown lass, my heart. Come to me. Cover me. Shelter me, a bhean, heal me. Burn with me, as I burn for you."(Fiery Cross Quote)
PMEmail PosterUsers WebsiteMy Photo Album               
Skeleman 
Posted: 21-Aug-2008, 03:14 PM
Quote Post

Honored Clan Member

ZodiacHolly

Realm: North Carolina

male

J.R.R. Tolkien, Michael Crichton, Timothy Zahn, Kevin J. Anderson, and Brad Meltzer. That's the first few that come to mind.

--------------------
"Of all tyrannies a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive." - C. S. Lewis

"The Enrichment Center promises to always provide a safe testing environment. In dangerous testing environments, the Enrichment Center promises to always provide useful advice. For instance, the floor here will kill you. Try to avoid it." - GlaDOS - Portal
PMEmail Poster                
Harlot 
Posted: 21-Aug-2008, 06:09 PM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian

ZodiacIvy

Realm: Southern Michiagn USA

female

Diana Gabaldon,Karen Marie Moning, and Jane Auston {Pride and Prejudice and Emma all time favorites} book.gif

--------------------
user posted image
Hopes are towers in the skies Dreams are wings taking flight

The Boundaries which divide Life from Death are at best Shadowy and vague. Who shall say where one ends and the other begins

Photobucket

SLAINTE
PMEmail PosterMy Photo Album               View My Space Profile.
DianneAscroft 
Posted: 09-Sep-2008, 09:20 AM
Quote Post

Peasant

ZodiacBirch

female

Diana Gabaldon, Alice Taylor, Maeve Binchy and Michael McLaverty will always be at the top of my reading list. But I've also been discovering some local writers (I live in Co Fermanagh, N Ireland) lately who write very vividly about their experiences growing up in this area in the 1940s & '50s. I am really enjoying their work - especially Sean McElgunn (Charleyhorse Rider, Pandora's Box, World Without Women), Bryan Gallagher (Barefoot in Mullyneeny) and John Reihill (Where's My Begonia, Rose?). It is a delight to find such talented writers in my own area. I write about the same period as historical fiction while they write about it from memory - an interesting contrast. I often finish their books and wish I could step back into the world they grew up in.

Dianne

--------------------
www.geocities.com/dianne_ascroft
PMEmail PosterUsers Website               
DesertRose 
Posted: 16-Sep-2008, 01:53 AM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian

ZodiacAlder

Realm: The desert of Arizona

female

Hey Dianne! Thanks for sharing your avid interests. As an Irish woman, I was wondering what you thought of Irish author, Nuala O'Faolain. Personally, I find her books a wee bit hard to get into. Just interested in your take on her writing, etc.

Thanks!

--------------------
Fine art & photography by DESERT ROSE IMAGES
http://www.desertrose-images.com
DianneAscroft 
Posted: 17-Sep-2008, 02:43 AM
Quote Post

Peasant

ZodiacBirch

female

I haven't actually read anything by Nuala O'Faolain, DesertRose. I've picked up her books and browsed through them in shops but they didn't really grab me and I put them back again. She writes more non-fiction than fiction (though I know she did eventually get into fiction) and I was looking for fiction. I'm not sure what I would think if I did read one. Guess I should put her on my list of books to read...one day...

Dianne
PMEmail PosterUsers Website               
DesertRose 
Posted: 19-Sep-2008, 12:41 AM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian

ZodiacAlder

Realm: The desert of Arizona

female

hey Dianne! I more than understand. Either a book/author grabs your attention, or it does not!

Would be interested in your recommendations.

smile.gif
Donajhi 
Posted: 03-Mar-2009, 11:17 AM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian

ZodiacBirch

Realm: Fae Hillfort

female

Karen Marie Moning. From the Highlander series to the Fae series.
Not only is she a wonderful author, but to continue writing and meet
deadlines with the devastating illness she is fighting. That is my kind
of lady. She truly has the heart of a warrior........ Royal02.gif

thumbup.gif thumbup.gif

--------------------
CHECK MY SITE: BEYOND THE VEIL http://www.gmadventures.com

"I DID NOT, IT WAS THE FAIRY FOLK!"

Scottish by the grace of God

Fairy Day countdown banner

DIOGENES HAS PASSED ME THE LANTERN, STILL LOOKING.....
PMEmail PosterUsers Website My Photo Album               View My Space Profile.
0 User(s) are reading this topic (0 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll

Celtic RadioTM broadcasts through Live365.com and StreamLicensing.com which are officially licensed under SoundExchange, ASCAP, BMI, SESAC and SOCAN.
©2014 Celtic Radio Network, Highlander Radio, Celtic Moon, Celtic Dance, Ye O' Celtic Pub and Celt-Rock-Radio.
All rights and trademarks reserved. Read our Privacy Policy.
Celtic Graphics ©2014, Cari Buziak

Link to CelticRadio.net!
Link to CelticRadio.net
View Broadcast Status and Statistics!

Best Viewed With IE 8.0 (1680 x 1050 Resolution), Javascript & Cookies Enabled.

[Home] [Top]

Celtic Hearts Gallery | Celtic Mates Dating | My Celtic Friends | Celtic Music Radio | Family Heraldry | Medival Kingdom | Top Celtic Sites | Web Celt Blog | Video Celt