Posted: 19-Aug-2004, 11:31 PM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian

Group: Celtic Nation
ZodiacWillow

Realm: Beaches of North Carolina & Mountains of Kentucky

female

O'siyo,
Of course I have to say my favourite period of history is the history of the Native Americans and their conflicts with the 'others' unsure.gif I absolutely love reading Allan W. Eckert's books...I have 5, 3 which are signed rolleyes.gif Not only does the sufferage, conflicts and hardships bring me closer to my heritage/culture but, it allows me to 'see' what the 'others' had to endure from the Native Americans..I mean, my people weren't going to make it easy on anyone wink.gif ..I believe, tis my opinion only, that when there is a great deal of despair, and negativity in any particular part/era of history we are naturally drawn to it and before one knows it, it becomes our favourite part of history book.gif
~~May this day and eve find all with much peace and many blessings~~
~Sty-U red_bandana.gif

--------------------
I always knew one day I would travel this road;I just did not know that today would be the day....

'Each man is good in his sight. It is not necessary for eagles to be crows' --Sitting Bull

'Why do you take by force what you could obtain by love?'
--Powhatan

'HeartAches mend, HeartBreaks are everlasting'-- my own quote, seeker
PMEmail Poster               
DesertRose 
Posted: 19-Aug-2004, 11:43 PM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian

ZodiacAlder

Realm: The desert of Arizona

female

Freekenney! This may seem babyhood to you but my favorite book on Native American history is Dee Brown's, Bury My Heart at Wounded Knee. I always refer to that book when I am in need of good history of the People. Perhaps you can refer me to other books that are good as well. Thanks! smile.gif

--------------------
Fine art & photography by DESERT ROSE IMAGES
http://www.desertrose-images.com
PMEmail PosterUsers WebsiteMy Photo Album               
freekenny 
Posted: 20-Aug-2004, 12:27 AM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian

ZodiacWillow

Realm: Beaches of North Carolina & Mountains of Kentucky

female

O'siyo CelticRose,
Nothing is 'babyhood' to me when someone is inquiring/learning about my culture wink.gif 'Bury My Heart at Wounded Knee' is a wonderful book and if you enjoyed reading it then here are some 'history' books that you also may enjoy rolleyes.gif I enjoy reading books that take you step by step or 'breaks down' the events that led up to a particular event..General information on the Native Americans is also rewarding to read about book.gif Hope these suggestions are helpful but, most of all, enjoyable and enlightening~
~THROUGH DAKOTA EYES: NARRATIVE ACCOUNTS OF THE MINNESOTA INDIAN WAR OF 1862. Gary Anderson and Alan Woolworth
~WHAT DOES THIS AWL MEAN? FEMINIST ARCHAEOLOGY AT A WAHPETON DAKOTA VILLAGE, Janet D. Spector
~IN THE SPIRIT OF CRAZY HORSE, Peter Matthiessen
~HOUSE MADE OF DAWN, by N. Scott Momaday
~BLACK ELK SPEAKS: BEING THE LIFE STORY OF A HOLY MAN OF THE OGLALA SIOUX, as told through John G. Neihardt
~WALLEYE WARRIORS: AN EFFECTIVE ALLIANCE AGAINST RACISM AND FOR THE EARTH, Rick Whaley and Walter Bresette
~SPIDER WOMAN'S GRANDDAUGHTERS: TRADITIONAL TALES AND CONTEMPORARY WRITING BY NATIVE AMERICAN WOMEN, ed. Paula Gunn Allen
~ THE SACRED: WAYS OF KNOWLEDGE, SOURCES OF LIFE, Anna Lee Walters,
~~~~Sty-U red_bandana.gif
PMEmail Poster               
DesertRose 
Posted: 20-Aug-2004, 12:42 AM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian

ZodiacAlder

female

Whoa! Wonderful suggestions, Freekenney! Thank you so much. I have actually seen the book, Native American Women, but never bought it..........shame on me. It looked like such a wonderful book too. Thanks again! smile.gif I will put all these books on my Amazon wish list!
MacAibhistin 
Posted: 22-Aug-2004, 12:19 AM
Quote Post

Knight of the Round Table

ZodiacOak

Realm: northern Canada - somewhere between the treeline and civilisation

male

I really enjoy colonial North American history. It is fascinating to me to learn about the early settlers and how their "old world" culture evolved into something new. The American Revolution fascinates me as does the War of 1812 (the only war ever foght between Canada and the US and won by Canada!!!)
I also enjoy learning Native North American history.

I'd like to read more early Celtic history if anyone can recommend a book to me. I have read a bit about the period of the Roman pullout of Britain - in the time just preceeding King Arthur. I'd also like to read a book on Boudicca - she fascinates me.

The Highland Clearances are quite fascinating as well. John Prebble's account is well written.

Thanks,
Rory
PMEmail Poster               
Annham 
  Posted: 03-Sep-2004, 04:59 PM
Quote Post

Seeker of Harmony
Group Icon

Group: Founder
ZodiacHazel

female

I like reading most history. My favorites are: Irish & Scottish history, mostly biographical histories about characters such as William Wallace, etc... I like archaeology and like reading about any new finds such as the Bog mummies, or the Ice-man.
I like reading about the South American & Mexican Indians and Conquistadors etc...And Egyptian history and archaeology too.
Some American Indian history, I like reading about their culture & way of life, but what the settlers and the Indians did to each other is sometimes a little hard to read, too horrible.
Anne
happy.gif

--------------------
“This is my simple religion. There is no need for temples; no need for complicated philosophy. Our own brain, our own heart is our temple; the philosophy is kindness.”

~ Dalai Lama
21st century spiritual and political leader of Tibet and Nobel Peace Prize winner (1989)
PMEmail Poster               
DesertRose 
Posted: 03-Sep-2004, 06:17 PM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian

ZodiacAlder

female

Hi Anne! Over the years I have read a lot of Native American history books too. I paint portraits of them so thought I should do my research! It is really hard to read all that, isn't it? What was done to the Native American people. My favorite history book regarding the people is by Dee Brown, Bury My Heart at Wounded Knee. Have you read that book.
Annham 
  Posted: 03-Sep-2004, 06:40 PM
Quote Post

Seeker of Harmony
Group Icon

ZodiacHazel

female

Hi Celticrose,
Thank you for the reply - I haven't read Bury My Heart at Wounded Knee, but I will check it out.
I agree that we really treated the Indians badly, some of that stuff is just unbearable to read. I don't remember the name of the book, but it was about the history of settlement of Ohio and there was a really graphic description of how some of the settlers were torchured and it was so bad that I couldn't read any more.
Anne
book.gif
PMEmail Poster               
greenldydragon 
Posted: 06-Sep-2004, 12:17 PM
Quote Post

Mistress of Dragons
Group Icon

Group: Wales
ZodiacHazel

female

I think my favorite type of history to read (or write at times..) about would have to be Ancient Egypt. I'm not sure what else I've said in here about the time periods.... I'm more interested in chinese and asian history than European or American (especially) since I already know a lot of history about those places. Their still good to read in books, but I don't really know that much about Chinese history next to some things about the Song Dynasty. Does anyone know any good books about Egypt or China?

--------------------
DRAGON BLESSING

May dragons bring you wealth
and guard your treasures
May they banish darkness and enlighten you
May female dragons grant you inner power
May the Dragon Queen
neutralize your enemies
May Dragon Spirits
give you power over Elementals
May weather dragons
bring rain at your request
May Ti'amat effect the changes you command
May Ishtar grant you Dragon Power
May Ishtar grant you Dragon Power
PMEmail Poster               
DesertRose 
Posted: 06-Sep-2004, 06:02 PM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian

ZodiacAlder

female

QUOTE (ANNHAM @ 03-Sep-2004, 06:40 PM)
Hi Celticrose,
Thank you for the reply - I haven't read Bury My Heart at Wounded Knee, but I will check it out.
I agree that we really treated the Indians badly, some of that stuff is just unbearable to read. I don't remember the name of the book, but it was about the history of settlement of Ohio and there was a really graphic description of how some of the settlers were torchured and it was so bad that I couldn't read any more.
Anne
book.gif

Yes, Anne! You are right about the terrible atrocities on both sides. There were many horrible things done in all of our history of all peoples. Check out the book, Bury My Heart At Wounded Knee. A must read for anything interested in Native American history. It is an old book, but still wonderful to this day! wink.gif smile.gif
MacAibhistin 
Posted: 06-Sep-2004, 07:48 PM
Quote Post

ZodiacOak

male

It is good to see so many interested in the history of North American Native people. They are a forgotten people in our popular culture. I think if we were to look closely, there are a lot of similarities between early celtic culture and the culture of pre-contact Natives.

Also, along the lines of Wounded Knee, and other watershed events in Native history, a very close parallel can be drawn between the virtual genocide carried out by the US government during the mid - late 1800s on the western Natives and the policies of the English government against the Highland Scots following the last Jacobite rebellion of 1745-6. Has anyone else noticed this?

Humanity is capable of so much good, and so much horror.

Rory
PMEmail Poster               
Annham 
Posted: 08-Sep-2004, 06:00 PM
Quote Post

Seeker of Harmony
Group Icon

ZodiacHazel

female

Yes, Anne! You are right about the terrible atrocities on both sides. There were many horrible things done in all of our history of all peoples. Check out the book, Bury My Heart At Wounded Knee. A must read for anything interested in Native American history. It is an old book, but still wonderful to this day! 

Hi Celticrose,
I went to the bookstore this weekend and got Bury my Heart... I agree it is very good so far, and no gorey details wink.gif Do you know anything about the author, Dee Brown?
Thanks,
Anne
PMEmail Poster               
Annham 
Posted: 08-Sep-2004, 06:04 PM
Quote Post

Seeker of Harmony
Group Icon

ZodiacHazel

female

policies of the English government against the Highland Scots following the last Jacobite rebellion of 1745-6. Has anyone else noticed this?

Rory, Yes, I have notice this too... I hate hearing about some of these things.. It is hard to comprehend how one group of people could be so cruel to another, but I guess it has happened in all cultures at some point.. Hopefully it is not as bad these days as it was in the past, but sometimes, I wonder.
Anne sad.gif
PMEmail Poster               
MacAibhistin 
Posted: 08-Sep-2004, 09:28 PM
Quote Post

ZodiacOak

male

Yes, Anne, I wonder too. Hopefully, it doesn't happen as often as in the past, but it does happen. Just look at the crisis in Sudan. It is horrific and no great armies are coming to stop it. Look at the terrorism in Chechnya last week sad.gif .
Some people feel the situation in Iraq is also an example of one country cruelly oppressing another. I am not trying to open a debate, but it simply points out that atrocities are indeed still out there.

Sometimes it seems like stories of hope never make it to our popular media. There are lots of peaceful resolutions to conflict, but we seldom hear about it.

As Anne Murray used to sing, "I sure could use, a little good news today."
Let's hope things change. smile.gif

Rory
PMEmail Poster               
DesertRose 
Posted: 09-Sep-2004, 04:55 PM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian

ZodiacAlder

female

QUOTE (MacAibhistin @ 06-Sep-2004, 07:48 PM)
It is good to see so many interested in the history of North American Native people. They are a forgotten people in our popular culture. I think if we were to look closely, there are a lot of similarities between early celtic culture and the culture of pre-contact Natives.

Also, along the lines of Wounded Knee, and other watershed events in Native history, a very close parallel can be drawn between the virtual genocide carried out by the US government during the mid - late 1800s on the western Natives and the policies of the English government against the Highland Scots following the last Jacobite rebellion of 1745-6. Has anyone else noticed this?

Humanity is capable of so much good, and so much horror.

Rory

Yes! Rory! I read a lot of ..............well historical romance novels set in the Highlands of Scotland...........ahem! rolleyes.gif Supposedly these authors do their research and if indeed they do, I see many similarities between both the Highland Scots and the Native American culture of the 19th century and before with their culture and battles. It is amazing. And from what little I have read about the Celts, there are those same similarities with the Native people here as well.
0 User(s) are reading this topic (0 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll

Celtic RadioTM broadcasts through Live365.com and StreamLicensing.com which are officially licensed under SoundExchange, ASCAP, BMI, SESAC and SOCAN.
©2014 Celtic Radio Network, Highlander Radio, Celtic Moon, Celtic Dance, Ye O' Celtic Pub and Celt-Rock-Radio.
All rights and trademarks reserved. Read our Privacy Policy.
Celtic Graphics ©2014, Cari Buziak

Link to CelticRadio.net!
Link to CelticRadio.net
View Broadcast Status and Statistics!

Best Viewed With IE 8.0 (1680 x 1050 Resolution), Javascript & Cookies Enabled.

[Home] [Top]

Celtic Hearts Gallery | Celtic Mates Dating | My Celtic Friends | Celtic Music Radio | Family Heraldry | Medival Kingdom | Top Celtic Sites | Web Celt Blog | Video Celt