maggiemahone1 
  Posted: 04-Apr-2002, 07:13 PM
Quote Post

High Queen of Ireland

Group: Celtic Nation
ZodiacIvy

Realm: Southern West Virginia

female

I'm sure most of you have watched the movie, "The Titanic".  Here is just a little bit of info I picked up.

The Titanic was built in Belfast Ireland shipyard, alongside her sister ship, the Olympic. Newspapers in Belfast during 1911, carried reports of the progress of the ships construction, including the arrival of the largest anchor in the world at the shipyard for the installation in the Titanic.  The ship was launched from Belfast on 31 May 1911 and completed sea trials successfully  in Belfast Lough during 1912.

The Titanic sailed from Queenstown, County Cork, on 11 April 1912 with many Irish passengers and crew aboard.  Most passengers were going to America to make a new life. On 14 April 1912, the ship collided with an iceburg and sank with a loss of over 1000 lives.  This ship was deemed, "unsinkable".

The city of Belfast was in shock and mourned deeply for the loss of the Irish lives that were lost and also the unknown.  The shipyard remains in Belfast, and recently Harland and Wolff released for sale copies of the Titanic construction plans.

maggiemahone1
PMEmail Poster                View My Space Profile.
scottish2 
Posted: 04-Apr-2002, 08:09 PM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian

ZodiacBirch

Not sure what the status of this is but heard the other night they are supposedly building an exact duplicate of the Titanic to supposedly set sail this year. Unsure if this is actually happening or if it was scraped but was on a show on the Titanic.
PMEmail Poster               
Cabbagehome 
  Posted: 05-Apr-2002, 04:25 AM
Quote Post

Viking Queen of the Fair Isles

ZodiacBirch

Realm: Howell, Michigan USA

I wonder if they will finish it as the plans called for.  It was a great ship, pride is what killed all of the people that died.  Thinking it unsinkable, they left off 1/2 the life boats, and didn't fill what they had.  
It could not be the same, the cost of inteior would be prohibative.  They would have to make do with cheeper copies.  They could not crowd as many below decks.  I do not feel they could keep the lower fare paying coustomers below decks now.  They may make a proft from the people who want the romance of the movie, but I would rather see a return of dirgables.
Strange, as I'm writing this the song from Titanic came on.
PMEmail Poster               
kylassie 
Posted: 05-Apr-2002, 06:14 AM
Quote Post

1st Queen of Scotland

ZodiacBirch

Realm: Kentucky

Cabbagehome,

I think that the super-wealthy will pay to ride aboard an exact copy of the Titanic! After all, a ship has recently been built as a floating city - it looks just like a floating skyscaper! Supposedly everything one would need to live a life of luxury has been included in the ship - it has one whole deck of nothing but shops - like a mall. People buy their suite of rooms - just like a condo!

So it goes without saying that there is a market out there, a market of a few extremely rich people, who sail on the Titanic, merely as a "status" symbol.

Frankly, I would never sail on a ship modeled after the Titanic - nothing could make me set sail on her, not even if they hired Leonardo DiCaprio as a cabin boy!!!!   :D

--------------------
Slainte,

Janet

aka Kentucky Lassie

aka Janet, Queen of Scots :p
PMEmail Poster               
Aon_Daonna 
Posted: 08-Apr-2002, 09:35 AM
Quote Post

The Wolf Lady

ZodiacIvy

Realm: Fife, Scotland

female

Everytime I think of the Titanic I think of something a friend from the Buchan area once said to me:

The day after the Titanic sunk there was only a small article in the local Aberdeen Newspaper: "Worries about a man from Aberdeen - it is likely that he perished at sea."

But I think it's a sad story. One of my ancestors had a ticket for the Titanic but he never went. Lucky that he didn't because if he did I probably wouldn't live now. :(

About the new "copied" Titanic I can only say that I'd love to sail with her over the atlantic. Must be great to be on such a famous ship and to be out on the sea...

I still think she's a beauty

--------------------
Moderator: The Playground (RPG)

Carpe Jugulum
Carved with a twisted smile
An epitaph for sorrow
Sethian - Epitaph

If anybody wants a costum signature, pm me!
PMEmail Poster               
maggiemahone1 
  Posted: 08-Apr-2002, 02:14 PM
Quote Post

High Queen of Ireland

ZodiacIvy

female

Aon Daonna! Wouldn't it be something if that ticket was still in possesion of someone in your family.  What a piece of history.

As for taking a ride on the Titanic, leave me out!  

maggiemahone1
CelticRadio 
Posted: 08-Apr-2002, 02:18 PM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian
Group Icon

Group: Administrator
ZodiacOak

Realm: Toronto, CAN

male

Medieval Kingdom
Rank #74
198,451 Gold!

I can remember when I was quite small my grandmother telling me to pray for all the ?poor people? that went down with the Titanic. She was in her 20?s when the ship went down and I am sure was effected by this tragic event. Titanic is definitely one of my choices for best movies of all time and my kids have taking a keen interest to reading about the ship and all of the stories about the people on board.

My son especially is interested in the Titanic. Although his interest for this subject caused a stir in church this past Sunday. The Reverend was giving a children?s sermon and had all of the children gathered on the floor in the front. I forget exactly what the point he was trying to explain, but he was asking kids to name off different types of boats and specifically ones that go underwater. The answer he was looking was for a submarine. So my son raises his hand in response to the Rev. question ?Does anyone know what type of boat goes underwater?, and my son proudly stands up and proclaims, ?Yes, the Titanic!.?

--------------------
Celtic Radio DJ
http://www.CelticRadio.net
Celtic Radio Music Network
PMEmail PosterUsers Website My Photo Album               View my Facebook Profile.View my Linked-In Profile.View my Google plus Profile.View my Twitter Profile.View My Space Profile.View my YouTube Profile.
Falachaidh 
  Posted: 15-Apr-2002, 12:44 PM
Quote Post

Knight of the Round Table

ZodiacBirch

Realm: North Central Florida

I am so glad none of my family was aboard. All of us was already in the US.
I remember when they first filmed the underwater discovery of the Titanic in her watery grave. I also remember then hotly debating whether it should be raised or not. I remember the outcome being there was so much wildlife that made Titanic their home, to raise it would be like cutting a portion of the Great Barrier Reef.
That shadowy vision of coming up over the bow, very eerie.
The chandalier still hangs in the great hall, the doors still on their hinges to the grand dining hall.. i bet it's haunted.
especially if mostly Irish died.
Anyone see "The Others"?

--------------------
Dance Life to the Fullest.
PMEmail Poster               
maggiemahone1 
Posted: 17-Jun-2002, 09:27 AM
Quote Post

High Queen of Ireland

ZodiacIvy

female

Here is an article that I found very interesting.  It gives you a better insight of the lives of the people that sailed on The Titanic.

http://www.connaughttelegraph.net/historical.php?

Scroll down and click onto: The Titanic Years

maggiemahone1
maggiemahone1 
Posted: 10-Nov-2002, 07:50 PM
Quote Post

High Queen of Ireland

ZodiacIvy

female

I got this off of BBC..

Scientist in Canada using DNA testing have identified the remains of a baby boy who was one of the Titanic disaster.

The young boy was found dead floating in the icy waters of the North Atlanctic six days after the disaster.  He was buried in a grave in Halafax, Nova Scotia which was dedicated to the 'unknown child.'

The boy was identified as 13 month old Eino Panula and his DNA has been matched to living members in Finland.  His  remains was returned to his resting place in Halafax.

maggiemahone1
Knightly Knight 
Posted: 10-Nov-2002, 08:01 PM
Quote Post

King of the Kowboys
Group Icon

Group: Scotland
ZodiacRowan

Realm: Saint Louis, Missouri

male

Maggie I saw this same story. It mentioned the family came to see the grave and decided to leave the resting place alone since in had been cared for long by the community. A very touching story.

--------------------
If Jimmy cracked corn and no one cares, Why is there a song about it?
PMEmail Poster               
maggiemahone1 
Posted: 21-Nov-2002, 01:38 PM
Quote Post

High Queen of Ireland

ZodiacIvy

female

After reading the story of the DNA testing for the unknown child, I happened to be flipping channels last night and seen the story on our public broadcasting station.  Very interesting.  It took 4 years to do the DNA testing and to find out who was in this paticular grave in Nova Scotia.  Two families were dissapointed because they were hoping the child was a member of their family.  It was very touching when members of the young child's family was able to come and visit his grave.  

http://www.pbs.org

If anyone is interested and would like to read more on this...go to the above link and click Secrets of the Dead

maggiemahone1
CelticRadio 
Posted: 21-Nov-2002, 10:47 PM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian
Group Icon

Group: Administrator
ZodiacOak

Realm: Toronto, CAN

male

Medieval Kingdom
Rank #74
198,451 Gold!

Wow, this is such an interesting and touching story. I have always been interested in the Titantic.

A few years back at the Church I go to the theme was the Titantic. It is amazing all of the related songs and poetry that has been created or associated with this tradgic event.
PMEmail PosterUsers Website My Photo Album               View my Facebook Profile.View my Linked-In Profile.View my Google plus Profile.View my Twitter Profile.View My Space Profile.View my YouTube Profile.
blackcountraye 
Posted: 12-Dec-2005, 04:18 PM
Quote Post

Peasant

ZodiacOak

male

arr doe live far from where the anchor was built, in the black countraye!!!

PMEmail Poster               
blackcountraye 
Posted: 12-Dec-2005, 04:30 PM
Quote Post

Peasant

ZodiacOak

male

http://perso.wanadoo.fr/titanic/images/anc...ncre2.jpg", WIDTH=150, HEIGHT=250 CONTROLS=TRUE>

titanics anchor lying outside noah hingleys yard in netherton near dudley!!!!
PMEmail Poster               
0 User(s) are reading this topic (0 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Reply to this topic Quick ReplyStart new topicStart Poll

© Celtic Radio Network
Celtic Radio is a TorontoCast radio station that is based in Canada.
TorontoCast provides music license coverage through SOCAN.
All rights and trademarks reserved. Read our Privacy Policy.

[Home] [Top]