Bookmark and Share
Elspeth 
Posted: 28-Jan-2004, 10:13 PM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian

Group: Celtic Nation
ZodiacReed

female

We like to read mystery novels. Some of our favorites are Dick Francis, Sue Grafton, Martha Grimes and of course Agatha Christy. When my third child was born I decided to read all 52 Agatha Christy books in our library. I can't keep one plot separated from another, I read them all so fast, one right after another. biggrin.gif

So who are your favorites?

--------------------
Compassion is the sometimes fatal capacity for feeling what it is like inside somebody else's skin. It is the knowledge that there can never really be any peace and joy for me until there is peace and joy finally for you too.
- Frederick Buechner

If society prospers at the expense of the intangibles,
how can it be called progress?

-LLP
PMEmail Poster My Photo Album               
Aon_Daonna 
Posted: 29-Jan-2004, 04:01 PM
Quote Post

The Wolf Lady

ZodiacIvy

Realm: Fife, Scotland

female

hehe, I started on Agatha Christy when I was just 12 or so... (just devoured them all.. I think it's her fault that I love crime fiction by now!)

I have to say I love Martha Grimes, Kathy Reichs and Ian Rankin (the Cardenden boy!) best.

The funny thing about Ian Rankin is I only got to know him through my BF's aunt who lived next door when he was a little boy (my BF is a Cardenden boy as well) and she told me about how an american friend called her after having seen an interview with him on telly and he said he comes from Cardenden...
I really like his books.

I'm about to order the next Kathy Reichs book Bare Bones.

--------------------
Moderator: The Playground (RPG)

Carpe Jugulum
Carved with a twisted smile
An epitaph for sorrow
Sethian - Epitaph

If anybody wants a costum signature, pm me!
PMEmail Poster               
Elly 
Posted: 01-Feb-2004, 05:41 AM
Quote Post

Honored Clan Member

ZodiacReed

female

I enjoy Ian Rankin`s books as well. Lately I`ve been reading Minette Walters` books, she is a really good mystery writer too. another author I`ve just discovered is Anne Perry, seemingly she`s written heaps of mystery books, she reminds me a lot of Agatha Christie type of book. enjoyed what I have read so far. biggrin.gif thumbs_up.gif
PMEmail PosterUsers Website               
celtica 
Posted: 23-Feb-2004, 04:22 PM
Quote Post

Lady of the mists
Group Icon

Group: Brittany
ZodiacOak

Realm: Brest - Brittany

female

Of course I read all the Agatha Christie's, quite all Conan Doyle, some Marie Higgins Clark and Ellery Queen. I love Maurice Leblanc and Gaston Leroux too (but I'm afraid these old french authors are not well known in america ! wink.gif ). I've read 5 or 6 books from Anne Perry too, they are very interesting but I have to stop for the moment because the victorian's society she describes annoys me more than I can bear...
But my favorite mystery author is probably Caleb Carr : I think "The alienist" is a pure chef-d'oeuvre.

--------------------
Que restera-t-il de notre sang mêlé au sel, sans trace dans les mémoires ? Une ultime navigation, trompeuse. Et des souvenirs, illuminés d'embruns. Mais condamnés au silence de la mer... Loïc Finaz.
user posted image
Sylvanus 
Posted: 15-Mar-2004, 06:07 PM
Quote Post

Servant

ZodiacIvy

Realm: east central Pennsylvania

male

Of course Sir Arthur Conan Doyle is high on the list... I hesitate to mention Franklin W Dixon & Carolyn Keene (Hardy Boys & Nancy Drew) (I used to read those a lot - just the classic ones - not the trashy paperbacks...) I've read a few Agatha Christie's...

And I've read some Dorothy Sayers - Lord Peter Whimsey... very good with characters and such - and associated with the Inklings (Lewis, Tolkien, et al)

--------------------
There is a King. Believing is Seeing. Seek the King!
Raven 
Posted: 07-Apr-2004, 05:00 PM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian

ZodiacHolly

Realm: Indianapolis, IN

male

Many of the first books that I read as a child were mysteries. The first that I can remember were "The Happy Hollister Series" about 25 books, Trixie Belden, Nancy Drew, The Hardy Boys, Danny Dunn which I remember to be sort of a non alien type Sci-Fi mystery series for kids.

Of course I have also read Sir Arthur Conan Doyle, Ellery Queen, Agatha Christie (mostly through my teen years)

I currently enjoy JA Jance, and Sue Grafton

--------------------
He is no fool who gives up that which he can not keep to gain that which he cannot loose

www.arminta.net
PMEmail PosterUsers Website               View My Space Profile.
Raven 
Posted: 30-Apr-2004, 09:21 AM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian

ZodiacHolly

Realm: Indianapolis, IN

male

QUOTE (Catriona @ Apr 30 2004, 08:17 AM)
Denise MINA is a Scottish writer of 'whodunnits'. Her Garnethill trilogy is well worth a read. I've put details about her style in the Scotland forum under the 'Fiction' thread.

Is her work on Amazon Catriona?

Peace

Mikel
PMEmail PosterUsers Website               View My Space Profile.
faolin 
Posted: 03-May-2004, 03:34 PM
Quote Post

Knight of the Round Table

ZodiacBirch

female

I'm also a big dorothy Sayers (Lord Peter Whimsey) fan. I've read all of her books, and I got the bbc dvd production of her books starring Ian Carhmicheal (sp?). I love the british banter that goes on in the books, but of course the reason I read them is for Lord Peter biggrin.gif .

I also quite like the Laurie R King books with Mary russell and Sherlock Holmes. Though the premise sounded a bit hooky at first (young woman meets a retired Sherlock Holmes and becomes his protege), King is a very talented writer and treats the books with the proper respect (and also makes them very enjoyable to read tongue.gif ). She's just come out with a new one called "The Game" which is set in India and ties in "Kim" from Rudyard Kipling's classic book of the same name. I think it's my favorite so far, but for all you newbies I suggest you start with "The Beekeeper's Apprentice". Enjoy!

--------------------
Bitheadh e mar sin
PMEmail Poster               
gtrplr 
Posted: 10-May-2004, 11:59 AM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian

ZodiacBirch

Realm: Nashville, TN

male

I don't read too many mysteries, but I do like Sue Grafton's novels. Also Isaac Asimov's "Black Widowers" series.

--------------------
Randal Smith alias Smitty the Kid
Wielder of the Six-String Claymore!

"We have enough Youth, how about a Fountain of Smart?"
"When the going gets tough, the smart go fishing!"

BluegrassLady 
Posted: 15-Jun-2004, 02:29 PM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian

ZodiacVine

Realm: south central Kentucky

female

My all time favorite mystery writer is Dick Francis. I have read all his books and they kept me guessing right up to the end. They all are connected somehow to horses, which I love.

--------------------
With God............all things are possible
PMEmail Poster               
Ceciliastar1 
Posted: 15-Jun-2004, 02:37 PM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian

ZodiacAlder

Realm: Ohio.

female

I do have to admit that I like Agatha Christie a lot, especially her Parot (sp?) series. But my all time favorite mystery author has to be Sir Arthur Conan Doyle and his Sherlock Holmes books, it's elementary I tell you!

usaflag.gif

--------------------
There's a dear little plant that grows in our Isle
Twas St . Patrick himself, sure, that set it;
And the sun of his labour with pleasure did smile,
And with dew from his eye often wet it.
It grows through the bog, through the brake, through the
Mireland, and they call it the dear little shamrock of Ireland.
PMEmail PosterUsers Website My Photo Album               View My Space Profile.
krmsmax 
Posted: 02-Jul-2004, 11:23 AM
Quote Post

Servant

ZodiacAsh

Realm: Memphis, Tennessee

female

I like Sue Grafton but also enjoy Patterson and Patricia Cornwell. I also started on mysteries with Agatha Christie. She's a very easy read.

--------------------
Karen Maxwell
curebox.gotdns.com
PMEmail Poster               
Eilidh 
Posted: 20-Jul-2004, 11:10 PM
Quote Post

Peasant

ZodiacReed

female

Raven, I read Trixie Belden when I was growing up but never hear that anyone else did so it's great to find that someone else liked those books as well.
Now I read Patricia Cornwell and Kathy Reichs. I have a lot of them but those two are my favorites.
PMEmail Poster               
BluegrassLady 
Posted: 20-Jul-2004, 11:32 PM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian

ZodiacVine

Realm: south central Kentucky

female

QUOTE (Eilidh @ 21-Jul-2004, 12:10 AM)
Raven, I read Trixie Belden when I was growing up but never hear that anyone else did so it's great to find that someone else liked those books as well.

I am another who enjoyed Trixie Beldon when I was a youngster. Also the Bobbsey Twins. smile.gif I still have quite a few of these books and it pleases me now that my 10 year old granddaughter is now enjoying them.

PMEmail Poster               
Ladybug1258 
Posted: 30-Jul-2004, 01:57 PM
Quote Post

Peasant

ZodiacBirch

Realm: USA

female

I am seriously into mysteries and am never without a book over my face and eyes. Some of the cusotmers I have as regulars tell me they know me as the one with her nose in a book (CONSTANTLY), so there's a strong possibility I'm obsessed with books! I recently found Nelson DeMille's books fun reads. The one I have right now is "Plum Island" and find it to be very entertaining. I also love John Grisham, Kathy Reichs, Patricia Cornwell and have read every single one of their books up to the most recently released titles except for "Monday Mourning" which I currently have on my library's requested list. "Trace" comes out in September by Patricia Cornwell, and I'll hunt that one down when it's here as well. I also like Nora Roberts-a bit of a departure, but fun- as a fluff read that doesn't require too many brain cells to get engrossed in. I also like Dan Brown and finally get to read "Deception Point", but am still waiting for "Angels & Demons" by him. I love forensic science mystories, obviously and hope to be able to get into a similar field in a couple of years when I've completed a field of study with a local CC in Biotechnology with a side in Anthropology. Only a distantly related side field of that, but still fascinating.
PMEmail Poster                
0 User(s) are reading this topic (0 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll

Celtic RadioTM broadcasts through Live365.com and StreamLicensing.com which are officially licensed under SoundExchange, ASCAP, BMI, SESAC and SOCAN.
©2014 Celtic Radio Network, Highlander Radio, Celtic Moon, Celtic Dance, Ye O' Celtic Pub and Celt-Rock-Radio.
All rights and trademarks reserved. Read our Privacy Policy.
Celtic Graphics ©2014, Cari Buziak

Link to CelticRadio.net!
Link to CelticRadio.net
View Broadcast Status and Statistics!

Best Viewed With IE 8.0 (1680 x 1050 Resolution), Javascript & Cookies Enabled.

[Home] [Top]

Celtic Hearts Gallery | Celtic Mates Dating | My Celtic Friends | Celtic Music Radio | Family Heraldry | Medival Kingdom | Top Celtic Sites | Web Celt Blog | Video Celt