Posted: 28-Jan-2008, 09:40 PM
Quote Post

Madman with a box
Group Icon

Group: Scotland
ZodiacAlder

Realm: Midlothian, IL

male

Dundee, I took your suggestion and read "Devil In The White City". Very good nonfiction book.

If they ever make a movie based on that, Vince Vaughn would be my pick to play H.H. Holmes.

Now, I'm reading cookbooks looking for good seafood recipes. With Lent coming up, I need some :.

--------------------
Mike F.

May the Irish hills caress you.
May her lakes and rivers bless you.
May the luck of the Irish enfold you.
May the blessings of Saint Patrick behold you.

user posted image
PMEmail PosterMy Photo Album               
gcw57 
  Posted: 28-Jan-2008, 11:01 PM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian

Group: Celtic Nation
ZodiacReed

Realm: British Columbia

male

Currently I only have two on the go - "Irish Cream" by Andrew M Greeley and "Murder at the Watergate" by Margaret Truman. Both authors have many titles to choose from: Truman's are all "Murder at the...", while Greeley has a very interesting list of books to his name. He has the "Irish..." series, "The Bishop and the ..." series, plus a number of small series and stand alone titles that I have found quite interesting.

I know many people critisize Andrew M Greeley because he is a member of the Catholic Church, his characters are often intertwined from one book to another or series to another, he writes love scenes that far exceed a prude's notion of what a Bishop (?) should know and there is no great value to his books.

Personally, I don't care what the man's religion is, I like that I run across characters from one book in another in lesser prominence, his love scenes are not graphic at all and any book that entertains has value!

--------------------
Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting
PMEmail Poster               
pretentiouswombat 
Posted: 30-Jan-2008, 10:32 AM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian

ZodiacHolly

Realm: Georgia

female

It just dawned on me that y'all might be interested in a book swap group that I'm involved in. It's called PaperBackSwap and the web page is:

http://www.paperbackswap.com/index.php

I have a collection of paperbacks that my neighbor gave me and I didn't want to just take them to the Goodwill if I could actually contribute to a group that wants them. The way it works is that you list the books you want to swap and other people list theirs. If you want a book and someone has it, they send it to you or vice versa. Then, when you're finished reading it, just relist it and send it on to someone else. Check it out. I know it's saved me money.

BTW, I listened to The Devil in White City on cd a couple of years ago and also found it fascinating.

--------------------
Check out my new blog at www.dilettantesdilemma.blogspot.com
Patti, The Celtic Pretentious Wombat

Feel the Teal! The year is 1599, and a new musical sensation is sweeping the youth of England! Dude! Life is Good! Visit The Lost Boys Online
PMEmail PosterUsers Website               View My Space Profile.
DesertRose 
Posted: 30-Jan-2008, 01:14 PM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian

ZodiacAlder

Realm: The desert of Arizona

female

QUOTE (pretentiouswombat @ 30-Jan-2008, 10:32 AM)
It just dawned on me that y'all might be interested in a book swap group that I'm involved in. It's called PaperBackSwap and the web page is:

http://www.paperbackswap.com/index.php

I have a collection of paperbacks that my neighbor gave me and I didn't want to just take them to the Goodwill if I could actually contribute to a group that wants them. The way it works is that you list the books you want to swap and other people list theirs. If you want a book and someone has it, they send it to you or vice versa. Then, when you're finished reading it, just relist it and send it on to someone else. Check it out. I know it's saved me money.

BTW, I listened to The Devil in White City on cd a couple of years ago and also found it fascinating.

Hey pretentiouswombat,

On page 2 on this forum, there is a thread to a book swap like your talking about.

http://www.celticradio.net/php/forums/inde...?showtopic=9025

We may want to start a new thread for yours to better let everyone know about it. How about that? I can do it or you can. wink.gif smile.gif

--------------------
Fine art & photography by DESERT ROSE IMAGES
http://www.desertrose-images.com
PMEmail PosterUsers WebsiteMy Photo Album               
gaberlunzie 
Posted: 31-Jan-2008, 07:27 AM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian

ZodiacVine

female

I read a fascinating book recently called "The Chemistry of Death" by Simon Beckett. Wooooow...

"Finding refuge in a quiet rural backwater, Dr David Hunter hoped he might at last have put the past behind him. But then they found what was left of Sally Palmer... Once he'd been a high-profile forensic anthropologist and all too familiar with the many faces of death, before tragedy made him abandon this previous life. Now the police want his help. But to become involved will stir up memories he's long tried to forget. Then a second woman disappears, plunging the close-knit community into a maelstrom of fear and paranoia. And no one, not even Hunter, is exempt from suspicion. Gruesome and gripping, this startling new British crime thriller has an unnerving and original twist. "

I really couldn't put it down; you should give it a try!
The second book of the "David Hunter" series is out, it's called "Written in Bone" and you can bet your ...well, whatever you prefer ...that I will get this one, too! wink.gif

--------------------
"Now here's my secret", said the fox, "it is very simple. It is only with ones heart that one can see clearly. What is essential is invisible to the eye."

("The Little Prince" by Antoine de Saint-Exupery)

"The soul would have no rainbow, if the eye had no tears."
(Native American Proverb)
PMEmail PosterMy Photo Album               
pretentiouswombat 
Posted: 31-Jan-2008, 03:11 PM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian

ZodiacHolly

female

CelticRose - I think it would be a good idea to start this paperback swap idea as a new thread - just a little reminder . I'll let you take it and run with it.

Thanks!
Gwynhwyvar 
Posted: 02-Feb-2008, 07:44 AM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian

ZodiacVine

Realm: Smyrna, Georgia

female

Wombat, the bookswap sounds like a great idea - the only problem I see with it is that I love books too much to want to give them up - that's why I am running out of room at my house. You take a love of books and multiply that by me, hubby, daughter and son - and you see what I mean! We don't like to give up our books. cool.gif

I just finished reading an interesting book called "This is your brain on music" and am now reading Oliver Sacks book "Musicophilia". This is a fascinating book about the brain and music (the nutshell version).

--------------------
"He who dwells in the shelter of the Most High will rest in the shadow of the Almighty.
I will say of the Lord, "He is my refuge and my fortress, my God, in whom I trust.""
Psalm 91:1-2

"Be what you would seem to be--or, if you'd like it put more simply--Never imagine yourself not to be otherwise than what it might appear to others that what you were or might have been was not otherwise than what you had been would have appeared to them to be otherwise." from "Alice in Wonderland"
PMEmail Poster               
DesertRose 
Posted: 02-Feb-2008, 05:56 PM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian

ZodiacAlder

female

QUOTE (pretentiouswombat @ 31-Jan-2008, 03:11 PM)
CelticRose - I think it would be a good idea to start this paperback swap idea as a new thread - just a little reminder . I'll let you take it and run with it.

Thanks!

Ok, will do, prentiouswomabat. Just thought it would get more notice if it had it's own thread. I will just simply cut and paste your mentioning of it and go from there. wink.gif
jime307 
Posted: 03-Feb-2008, 11:33 PM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian

ZodiacReed

Realm: Jackson Hole, Wyoming USA

male

Right now I'm reading a few books, The first is Atherton: The house of Power by Patrick Carman, WOW It is an incredibly good book, I'm not sure if its a series yet because I havent finished it, it pretty neat and has a bit of a sci-fi twinge to it. heres a pic of the Cover, eye catching I'm telling you! user posted image
It might be a bit kiddish to some of you but I'm 13 so heck its interesting to me. I'm also reading 1776 by David Mcculough, it is probably the most amazing book about the American Revolution ever its Packed with info right down to what the king was wearing at the exact date in some cases! The third book is Called "The Time Machine" and if you havent read it already I highly reccomend you read it, its a classic Sci-fi

--------------------

St. Patrick's Day countdown banner
PMEmail PosterUsers WebsiteMy Photo Album               View My Space Profile.
DesertRose 
Posted: 03-Feb-2008, 11:59 PM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian

ZodiacAlder

female

Hey there, Jime? Your 13?! Well welcome! Sounds like your reading some really great stuff in regards to history!

I have yet to read the book "1776" by David McCullough. Hear it is the absolute best in regards to that period of history.

I just bought his most recent book, "John Adams" in preparation for the 7 part miniseries on HBO in March. Hope you can watch the series.

Thanks for sharing and happy reading! smile.gif
pretentiouswombat 
Posted: 04-Feb-2008, 11:26 AM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian

ZodiacHolly

female

I have lots of ideas for new books to read now. My SO and I read lots of young adult novels so I'm going to check out Atherton. Jime, have you read the Pendragon series? They're great. And classic sci-fi is what we've been having my 16-year-old son read. Classic Asimov and Wells. Don't forget Hitchhiker's Guide, too.

Gwynhwyvar, I have skimmed those music-related books, also, and was intrigued. I have several on starting a classic CD collection and I love having the classics playing in the background while we have our school time.

Celtic Rose, I basically have a library in my house and I don't even make any requests on the book swap thing. Instead, I ask for books for my daughter who doesn't have much money right now and is a voracious reader. I still have a big ol' bag of books available to send out and I'm just glad to get them to someone who wants them through the swap. It really is a good idea for people on a tight budget. Cheaper than the used bookstore prices most of the time, too.
jime307 
Posted: 04-Feb-2008, 11:34 PM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian

ZodiacReed

Realm: Jackson Hole, Wyoming USA

male

I joined the Book Swap site, its pretty neat I'm ready to start swapping some books too. I finished Atherton earlier today, and it was Incredible! It leaves without a lot of info though There's defianatly going to be a series but as of yet I'm not sure when he'll release the 2nd. I finally picked up "The Mists of Avalon" which I got for Christmas, I dont know If I can get into it but I'm gonna try a bit harder.
PMEmail PosterUsers WebsiteMy Photo Album               View My Space Profile.
Rindy 
Posted: 11-Feb-2008, 07:15 PM
Quote Post

Peasant

ZodiacBirch

female

I finally finished Drums of Autumn by Diana Gabaldon...now for the big red book The Fiery Cross..that is one big book in every way...scary....haha unsure.gif

Slainte
PMEmail Poster               
maggiemahone1 
Posted: 11-Feb-2008, 10:12 PM
Quote Post

High Queen of Ireland

ZodiacIvy

Realm: Southern West Virginia

female

I'm reading... Knight in my Bed by Sue-Ellen Welfonder...Yes, you guessed it right, it's a Historical Romance angel_not.gif
PMEmail PosterUsers Website                View My Space Profile.
DesertRose 
Posted: 11-Feb-2008, 10:50 PM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian

ZodiacAlder

female

I have read that book myself! Sue Ellen Wellfonder is a really great author! Hope yer enjoying the book!
0 User(s) are reading this topic (0 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll

Celtic RadioTM broadcasts through Live365.com and StreamLicensing.com which are officially licensed under SoundExchange, ASCAP, BMI, SESAC and SOCAN.
2014 Celtic Radio Network, Highlander Radio, Celtic Moon, Celtic Dance, Ye O' Celtic Pub and Celt-Rock-Radio.
All rights and trademarks reserved. Read our Privacy Policy.
Celtic Graphics 2014, Cari Buziak

Link to CelticRadio.net!
Link to CelticRadio.net
View Broadcast Status and Statistics!

Best Viewed With IE 8.0 (1680 x 1050 Resolution), Javascript & Cookies Enabled.

[Home] [Top]

Celtic Hearts Gallery | Celtic Mates Dating | My Celtic Friends | Celtic Music Radio | Family Heraldry | Medival Kingdom | Top Celtic Sites | Web Celt Blog | Video Celt