Bookmark and Share
Elly 
Posted: 26-Feb-2004, 03:21 AM
Quote Post

Honored Clan Member

Group: Celtic Nation
ZodiacReed

female

I have just started a Alison Weir book that a friend sent me in the post, Mary, Queen of Scots - and the Murder of Lord Darnley, so far so good biggrin.gif
PMEmail PosterUsers Website               
AShruleEgan 
Posted: 26-Feb-2004, 05:21 PM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian
Group Icon

Group: Ireland
ZodiacRowan

Realm: Winston-Salem, North Carolina

male

Reading a book called "The Coffee Trader" by David Liss.

Supposed to be about a guy in the 1600's in Amsterdam who takes part in commodities trading. He comes across this new commodity that is just starting to sweep across Europe, coffee.
I've only read to page 12, so far (reading room material). So, that's all the plot I know of. But, it is interesting. Seems like the author did some research on the way the commodities market worked back then.

PMEmail Poster               
kelaorqu 
Posted: 28-Feb-2004, 11:04 AM
Quote Post

Servant

ZodiacHawthorn

female

I'm reading "The In-between World of Vikram Lall" by MJ Vassanji. Its about a boy from India growing up in Kenya during the years of the Mau Mau and after. Very interesting so far. I also just finished reading "La Dame aux Camelias", my first real French novel! cool.gif

--------------------
Christ with me,
Christ before me,
Christ hehind me,
Christ in me,
Christ beneath me,
Christ above me,
Christ on my right,
Christ on my left,
Christ when I lie down,
Christ when I sit down,
Christ when I arise,
Christ in quiet,
Christ in danger,
Christ in the heart of every man who think of me,
Christ in the mouth os everyone who speaks of me,
Christ in every eye that sees me,
Christ in every ear that hears me.
~ St. Patrick
PMEmail Poster               
Richard Bercot 
Posted: 02-Mar-2004, 01:07 AM
Quote Post

House of Hardy
Group Icon

ZodiacAsh

male

clap.gif I have just finished "The Return of the King" last night and I was going to read the "Hobbit" next but after 5 months of reading the Trilogy I am going to switch subjects for a little bit.

Tonight I am going to start "Dancing at the Harvest Moon" by K.C. McKinnon. I bought it for my Wife but she hasn't started it yet, she is still on "Warrior Woman". I don't know anything about it yet, but if it is any good, I will let you know. wink.gif

--------------------
May your days be filled with Merriment and May you walk in Balance with Creator.

"For every day you fish, you live another day"
PMEmail Poster                
ChuckDenton 
Posted: 02-Mar-2004, 11:47 AM
Quote Post

Clan Member

ZodiacHazel

Realm: Lee's Summit, Missouri USA

male

I've just started reading "1916." It's about the Irish Easter uprising which was a fight for ownership and personal destiny which was denied the Irish people for centuries.
"[FONT=Arial]we hereby proclaim the Irish Republic as a Sovereign Independent Sate, and we pledge our lives and the lives of our comrades to the cause of its freedom, of its welfare, and of its exaltation among the nations ??
This is a fictional presentation to help the reader to understand what was going on before during and after the fight. This uprising brought Padraig Pearse, a ppoet and schoolmaster to the forefront of Irish History.

I really appreciated this thought about what I am reading: History tells what happened, literature tells how it felt as it was happening.

--------------------
[FONT=Geneva][SIZE=7][COLOR=gray]
Slainte'
[color=green]Slainte'/color]
PMEmail Poster                
Arianrhod 
Posted: 02-Mar-2004, 12:44 PM
Quote Post

Lady of Starlight and Petal

ZodiacVine

Realm: Barony-Marche of the Debatable Lands

female

I just started The Secrect Life of Bees..
so far, its disturbing...

In Service to the Dream,
Paula

--------------------
Proud member of Clan Mac Roni , CEO of The KDC

The curve is mightier than the sword ...

"He's twitching, because ,
mah axe is embedded in
his nervious system " !
LOTR
PMEmail Poster               
Richard Bercot 
Posted: 02-Mar-2004, 02:26 PM
Quote Post

House of Hardy
Group Icon

ZodiacAsh

male

After reading the first 2 chapters of "Dancing at the Harvest Moon" by K.C. McKinnon. I have come to realize that this is not a book for me. no.gif

All it is, is a Glorified Hardcover Romance Novel. About a Woman who has just gone through a Divorce after 25 years of Marriage. And now she is seeking her past at the Harvest Moon which is an old dance hall and bar up in the backwoods of Ontario, Canada. And that is all I am going to tell you. Mainly because that is all I know about it. I quit it before I got any farther.

I am going back to reading "Quill Gordon" by John McDonald. This is more my speed. wink.gif And Yes, it is about Fly Fishing. tongue.gif
PMEmail Poster                
frozenrose97 
Posted: 02-Mar-2004, 05:40 PM
Quote Post

Servant

ZodiacHolly

female

I'm reading "Gone With The Wind" right now. It's a great book so far.

--------------------
let your spirit fly and live your life the way you want to. You are yourelf and let it stay that way.
Live life to it's fullest.
PMEmail Poster                
DesertRose 
Posted: 02-Mar-2004, 08:52 PM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian

ZodiacAlder

Realm: The desert of Arizona

female

QUOTE (frozenrose97 @ Mar 2 2004, 05:40 PM)
I'm reading "Gone With The Wind" right now. It's a great book so far.

Wow! What a great book, Frozenrose! Such a classic in southern history and culture!

--------------------
Fine art & photography by DESERT ROSE IMAGES
http://www.desertrose-images.com
PMEmail PosterUsers WebsiteMy Photo Album               
maggiemahone1 
Posted: 02-Mar-2004, 09:22 PM
Quote Post

High Queen of Ireland

ZodiacIvy

Realm: Southern West Virginia

female

I luved the movie. Haven't read the book. I wonder if it is so different from the movie? Alot of times books are better than the movies.

"Frankly Scarlet, I don't give a dam-."

maggiemahone1
PMEmail PosterUsers Website                View My Space Profile.
kelaorqu 
Posted: 02-Mar-2004, 09:36 PM
Quote Post

Servant

ZodiacHawthorn

female

I just thought I'd share with all of you my favourite quote about literature. It comes from "The Left Hand of Darkness" and is beautiful:
"Open your eyes; listen, listen. That is what the novelist say. But they don't tell you what you will see and hear. All they can tell you is what they have seen and heard, in their time in this world, a third of it spent in sleep and dreaming, another third of it spent in telling lies.
... Fiction writers, at least in their braver moments, do desire the truth: to know it, speak it, serve it. But they go about it in a peculiar and devious way, which consists in inventing persons, places, and events which never did and never will exist or occur, and telling about these fictions in detail and at length and with a great deal of emotion, and then when they are done writing down this pack of lies, they say, There! That's the truth!
... In reading a novel, any novel, we have to know perfectly well that the whole thing is nonsense, and then, while reading, believe every word of it. Finally, when we're done with it, we may find that we're a bit different from what we were before we read it, that we have been changed a little... crossed a street we never crossed before. But it's very hard to say just what we learned, how we were changed.
The artist deals with what cannot be said in words.
The artist whose medium is fiction does this in words. The novelist says in words what cannot be said in words."
PMEmail Poster               
maggiemahone1 
Posted: 02-Mar-2004, 09:42 PM
Quote Post

High Queen of Ireland

ZodiacIvy

Realm: Southern West Virginia

female

I like your signature, kelaorqu! St. Patrick is my favorite.

maggiemahone1
PMEmail PosterUsers Website                View My Space Profile.
Richard Bercot 
Posted: 07-Mar-2004, 10:09 PM
Quote Post

House of Hardy
Group Icon

ZodiacAsh

male

QUOTE (Richard Bercot @ Mar 2 2004, 02:26 PM)
After reading the first 2 chapters of "Dancing at the Harvest Moon" by K.C. McKinnon.  I have come to realize that this is not a book for me.  no.gif

Well guess what. I went ahead and read the book. It was still a Romance Novel but it was not that bad. It was very easy reading compared to what I have been reading.

I did pick up a used hardcovered book today called; "The Horse Whisperer" by Nicholas Evans. If I remember right, this is going to be another one of the Romance Novels, but I think I will suffer through it. wink.gif
PMEmail Poster                
DesertRose 
Posted: 08-Mar-2004, 02:08 PM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian

ZodiacAlder

Realm: The desert of Arizona

female

Richard, you keep that up and you'll be joining us in the romance novel thread! laugh.gif
PMEmail PosterUsers WebsiteMy Photo Album               
Richard Bercot 
Posted: 08-Mar-2004, 05:07 PM
Quote Post

House of Hardy
Group Icon

ZodiacAsh

male

QUOTE (CelticRose @ Mar 8 2004, 02:08 PM)
Richard, you keep that up and you'll be joining us in the romance novel thread! laugh.gif

That's quite OK, Celtic Rose. I am just about finished with "The Essence of Flycasting" Just to keep my feet on the ground. tongue.gif Next comes "The Horse Whisperer" and "Quill Gordon". Yes, I am still working on "Quill Gordon", just to keep my educational reading up.
PMEmail Poster                
0 User(s) are reading this topic (0 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll

Celtic RadioTM broadcasts through Live365.com and StreamLicensing.com which are officially licensed under SoundExchange, ASCAP, BMI, SESAC and SOCAN.
2014 Celtic Radio Network, Highlander Radio, Celtic Moon, Celtic Dance, Ye O' Celtic Pub and Celt-Rock-Radio.
All rights and trademarks reserved. Read our Privacy Policy.
Celtic Graphics 2014, Cari Buziak

Link to CelticRadio.net!
Link to CelticRadio.net
View Broadcast Status and Statistics!

Best Viewed With IE 8.0 (1680 x 1050 Resolution), Javascript & Cookies Enabled.

[Home] [Top]

Celtic Hearts Gallery | Celtic Mates Dating | My Celtic Friends | Celtic Music Radio | Family Heraldry | Medival Kingdom | Top Celtic Sites | Web Celt Blog | Video Celt