http://www.desertrose-images.com
PMEmail PosterUsers WebsiteMy Photo Album               
Siobhan Blues 
Posted: 19-Aug-2005, 07:42 AM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian

Group: Celtic Nation
ZodiacOak

Realm: Pursuing happiness at 'The Shire' in western Georgia where hummingbirds buzz & horses graze

female

I tried starting the Galbadon book "Fiery Cross" but was offended by the Irish & beastiality jokes at the very beginning. How crude! That really derailed my interest in reading the book. I remember I didn't find the books before this one that interesting; only the original Outlander was very good, IMHO.

So I retreated into the safer world of Juvenile Fiction (my daughter the librarian chuckles at me here) and read 'The Magician's Nephew' this week. Its by CS Lewis, and is the first in his Narnia series. I had never read the whole thing, and enjoyed it quite a lot. Next comes 'The Lion The Witch and the Wardrobe' which I want to read before it comes out on film later this year.

Oh, and I did read a little book called 'A Year By The Sea' by Joan Anderson... its a very thought-provoking book for women who are within spitting distance of middle age. wink.gif

SB

--------------------
"All that is gold does not glitter, Not all those who wander are lost;
The old that is strong does not wither, Deep roots are not reached by the frost.
From the ashes a fire shall be woken, A light from the shadows shall spring;
Renewed shall be blade that was broken, The crownless again shall be king..."
user posted image

SGGardner Art

www.SouthernShireFarm.com
PMEmail PosterUsers Website               View My Space Profile.
Haldur 
Posted: 20-Aug-2005, 03:40 AM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian

ZodiacWillow

Realm: Grayson, KY

male

Been reading "How to Think like Leonardo da Vinci: Seven Steps to Genius Every Day" by Michael J. Gelb. Not to sound conceded or anything but I've already done/am currently doing some of the things outlined in the book. smile.gif

It includes: keeping a notebook (in which many writing prompts and ideas are included to spark creativity), drawing/painting, listening to music, and even cooking! I recommend it for any Renaissance man/woman!

--------------------
Haldr, Traveller of the Great Forest

"After all is said and done, a lot more will be said than done."

- Unknown

user posted image
PMEmail PosterUsers Website My Photo Album               
CelticCoalition 
Posted: 22-Aug-2005, 10:15 AM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian
Group Icon

Group: Ireland
ZodiacReed

male

Right now I'm reading the Serenity Falls series by James A. Moore. It's new horror series and I have to say he's a very good author.

--------------------
user posted imageuser posted imageuser posted image
May those who love us love us
And those who don't love us
May God turn their hearts,
And if He doesn't turn their hearts,
May He turn their ankles,
So we'll know them by their limping.
PMEmail Poster               
DesertRose 
Posted: 22-Aug-2005, 07:39 PM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian

ZodiacAlder

Realm: The desert of Arizona

female

QUOTE (Siobhan Blues @ 19-Aug-2005, 07:42 AM)
I tried starting the Galbadon book "Fiery Cross" but was offended by the Irish & beastiality jokes at the very beginning. How crude! That really derailed my interest in reading the book. I remember I didn't find the books before this one that interesting; only the original Outlander was very good, IMHO.

SB

SB! What are you talking about "crude Irish and beastiality jokes?" I don't remember those. unsure.gif Well Diana's books aren't for everyone and I guess they're not for you. tongue.gif wink.gif
Siobhan Blues 
Posted: 23-Aug-2005, 09:39 AM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian

ZodiacOak

Realm: Pursuing happiness at 'The Shire' in western Georgia where hummingbirds buzz & horses graze

female

Oh it is right at the beginning where Jamie has a bad dream about himself being crowned as an Irish king and part of the initiation involves him and a mare. It's just an offensive joke to me and I thought it unnecessary to the story... not a pleasant way to begin a novel. The Irish in me was offended.
Maybe I'm being too sensitive, but sometimes I can't help it... my emotions are barely under the surface and I react so quickly these days to the least thing.

SB
DesertRose 
Posted: 23-Aug-2005, 03:53 PM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian

ZodiacAlder

female

Ok, now I remember! It's been a year since I read that novel and I just couldn't remember what you were talking about. Thanks! FC wasn't one of my favorite books in the series. It took me a long time to get through that one. There was a lot of things in that book that I thought could have been left out and just got on with the story. Not that anything offended me, it was just some things went on and on and I thought enough already. Let's get on with it! laugh.gif Thanks, SB!
Haldur 
Posted: 01-Sep-2005, 08:14 PM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian

ZodiacWillow

male

Currently reading "Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep?" by Philip K. Dick. It is the piece of literature that inspired Blade Runner and countless other films I'm sure. He's also the same guy that wrote "Minority Report" which Speilberg made into a flick, also. Dick wrote a lot of stories following a peculiar encounter with a delivery woman wearing a pisces necklace that supposedly made Dick see many visions of Ancient Rome, Christ, and apocalyptic occurrences.

All in all, this is a wonderful book, a step up from most sci-fi of today.
Siobhan Blues 
Posted: 06-Sep-2005, 09:28 AM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian

ZodiacOak

female

Those are two of my favorite movies: Blade Runner and Minority Report! (And no, Rose, not just because they have Harrison Ford and Tom Cruise starring in them. tongue.gif )

The stories are just so unusual, quite creative & unique...
ghost 
Posted: 06-Sep-2005, 10:10 AM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian

ZodiacBirch

I was introduced to Tolkien's Lord of the Rings from a close friend a couple of years before the movie version was created. Since the movie release I've fallen into the habit of reading the books this time of year and so last night I've started once again on that epic journey... Prologue 1. Concerning Hobbits...
PMEmail Poster               
stoirmeil 
Posted: 06-Sep-2005, 10:14 AM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian

ZodiacBirch

Realm: New York

smile.gif That's a nice habit to get into. I read them every spring for about 15 years when I was younger.

I really have to get started on the Narnia books unsure.gif . Probably this week.
PMEmail Poster               
Rindy 
Posted: 09-Sep-2005, 10:00 PM
Quote Post

Peasant

ZodiacBirch

female

QUOTE (Siobhan Blues @ 06-Sep-2005, 08:28 AM)
Those are two of my favorite movies: Blade Runner and Minority Report! (And no, Rose, not just because they have Harrison Ford and Tom Cruise starring in them. tongue.gif )

The stories are just so unusual, quite creative & unique...

SB is Minority Report good? I loved the movie....

Slainte smile.gif
PMEmail Poster               
DesertRose 
Posted: 10-Sep-2005, 01:01 AM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian

ZodiacAlder

female

Well been reading books about the culture and dress of the folks of the 18 c. Very fascinating indeed. Now I am back to reading and finishing the book about the brave women of the Scottish women of the 45 called "Damn Rebel Bitches, The women of the 45." Fascinating and very good book
WizardofOwls 
Posted: 18-Sep-2005, 09:40 AM
Quote Post

Wanderer and Vagabond

ZodiacVine

Realm: Wytheville, Virginia

male

I'm reading Wolf Moon by Charles de Lint, one of my favoirte authors. Excellent book by an excellent author. I highly recommend him.

--------------------
Sln agus beannachd,
Allen R. Alderman

'S i Alba tr mo chridhe. 'S i Gidhlig cnan m' anama.
Scotland is the land of my heart. Gaelic is the language of my soul.
PMEmail PosterMy Photo Album               
Haldur 
Posted: 18-Sep-2005, 07:56 PM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian

ZodiacWillow

male

I haven't read "Minority Report" yet but "Electric Sheep [Blade Runner]" was interesting. Nothing like "Blade Runner" of course, but very inventive and hilarious.

Currently been brushing up on my drawing/painting skills so I've borrowed a book on figure drawing from the local lib. Gonna add to the collection, hopefully get some work posted here on Highlander!

Cead Mile Failte!

smile.gif
0 User(s) are reading this topic (0 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll

Celtic RadioTM broadcasts through Live365.com and StreamLicensing.com which are officially licensed under SoundExchange, ASCAP, BMI, SESAC and SOCAN.
2014 Celtic Radio Network, Highlander Radio, Celtic Moon, Celtic Dance, Ye O' Celtic Pub and Celt-Rock-Radio.
All rights and trademarks reserved. Read our Privacy Policy.
Celtic Graphics 2014, Cari Buziak

Link to CelticRadio.net!
Link to CelticRadio.net
View Broadcast Status and Statistics!

Best Viewed With IE 8.0 (1680 x 1050 Resolution), Javascript & Cookies Enabled.

[Home] [Top]

Celtic Hearts Gallery | Celtic Mates Dating | My Celtic Friends | Celtic Music Radio | Family Heraldry | Medival Kingdom | Top Celtic Sites | Web Celt Blog | Video Celt