Posted: 29-Apr-2005, 05:44 PM
Quote Post

Guardian of Scotland :-)
Group Icon

Group: Scotland
ZodiacRowan

Realm: Isle of Skye

female

Bookwise I have to say - I've done it again. Just catching up on the latest history of .... yes ye guessed it wink.gif - Darkover. Have read Omnibus "To save a world" with "The World Wreckers" and "The Planet Savers" and a short story called "The Waterfall". And of course "Traitor 's sun" ... , brilliant , get it if ye like fantasy - such a wonderful plot with a thousand intrigues, treason and an interesting twist ...smile.gif

At the moment on "The Fall of Neskaya" ... Ye see, i do my "homework" laugh.gif angel_not.gif thumbs_up.gif

--------------------
Scottish in Heart :-))

In the darkest heart the pride of man will walk allone

's ged tha mi fada bhuat cha dhealaich sinn a chaoidh

Darkover RPG
PMEmail Poster               
Maddie 
Posted: 29-Apr-2005, 06:29 PM
Quote Post

Chieftain of the Clan

Group: Celtic Nation
ZodiacBirch

female

About to finish Traitor's Sun out of the Darkovan Series.

Well, then it's be Digital Fortress by Dan Brown. rolleyes.gif
PMEmail Poster               
gaberlunzie 
Posted: 29-Apr-2005, 06:42 PM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian

ZodiacVine

female

QUOTE (Faileas @ 29-Apr-2005, 06:44 PM)
Bookwise I have to say - I've done it again. Just catching up on the latest history of .... yes ye guessed it wink.gif - Darkover. Have read Omnibus "To save a world" with "The World Wreckers" and "The Planet Savers" and a short story called "The Waterfall". And of course "Traitor 's sun" ... , brilliant , get it if ye like fantasy - such a wonderful plot with a thousand intrigues, treason and an interesting twist ...smile.gif

At the moment on "The Fall of Neskaya" ... Ye see, i do my "homework" laugh.gif angel_not.gif thumbsup.gif

Faileas, I've read the whole Darkovian Series and I just loved it and still do! Have fun reading it! smile.gif

I just finished "Lady of Hay" by Barbara Erskine and enjoyed it immensly.
I have already read "Echoes" and "Daughter of Phoenix" but "Lady of Hay" is my favorite so far. thumbs_up.gif
I'm now looking out for "Kigdom of Shadows" which is dealing with Robert the Bruce...also by Barbara Erskine. smile.gif

--------------------
"Now here's my secret", said the fox, "it is very simple. It is only with ones heart that one can see clearly. What is essential is invisible to the eye."

("The Little Prince" by Antoine de Saint-Exupery)

"The soul would have no rainbow, if the eye had no tears."
(Native American Proverb)
PMEmail PosterMy Photo Album               
DesertRose 
Posted: 29-Apr-2005, 07:22 PM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian

ZodiacAlder

Realm: The desert of Arizona

female

Gabby! I have Kingdom of Shadows by Barbara Erskine! I have not read it yet. I want to get the other books you mentioned of hers first. I heard she was an excellent author.

--------------------
Fine art & photography by DESERT ROSE IMAGES
http://www.desertrose-images.com
PMEmail PosterUsers WebsiteMy Photo Album               
seadreamer 
  Posted: 01-May-2005, 02:00 PM
Quote Post

Peasant

ZodiacBirch

male

Hey everyone, Has anyone out there read Mark Haddon's book called "A Curious Incident of the Dog in the NIghtime"? Fantastic book absolutely about the differently abled. Book includes pictures along with text.

Seadreamer

--------------------
I will give you an example which I have often puzzled over. The spider dances her web without knowing there are flies who will get caught in it. The fly, dancing nonchalantly on a sunbeam, gets caught without knowing what lies in store. But through both of them "It" dances and inside and outside are united in this dance. So too, the Archer hits the target without having aimed - more I cannot say.

Zen in the Art of Archery
PMEmail Poster               
Deborah_MacGillivray 
Posted: 03-May-2005, 04:17 AM
Quote Post

Servant

ZodiacHazel

female

Okies, stop knocking romance writers, you have one lurking in your midsts and several dozen of my best friends are romance writers.

Gabaldon is quick to say she is not a historical romance writer, but I notice she is not quick to turn away romance readers money!! Since 50-65% of all books are sold is romance, romance nearly floats the publishing industry. So no rotten tomatoes tossed at romance, please!!

I am a book reviewer as well as a writer so I carry a heavy load of reading.

To the person who had not read Stephan King asking where would be a good point to start in his works? Try Robert McCammon instead!! Seriously. Anyone who like King will love [B]Swan Song
by McCammon. It is along the lines of King, but such a beautiful writing. Everyone I have recommended this book to always comes back and thanks me.

As for the romance readers lurking about, I would recommend Sue-Ellen Welfonder's A Wedding for a Knight, her newest tale. She is a marvellous writer and actually visits Scotland several times a year, so she is not one of these writers that writes about how dark the night is during the Summer in Scotland!! hehehe It's her best book yet.

For a simply fun tale, Kate Angell's Drive Me Crazy or Crazy for You are really great book just for a smile.

What I am currently finished is a Suspense novel by the Resident Genius of Romance, Anne Stuart, called Black Ice. The males in my family steal her books from me!

As for Lord of the Rings, I just finished with the 13 CD set BBC dramatization, starring Ian Holm. Rings fans HAVE to check this out. It's not the books being read, but a full radio dramatazition. Quite amazing!

[/B]

--------------------

Slàinte Ṃhr,

Slàinte Ṃr,

DeborahAnne

DeborahAnne MacGillivray
http://deborahmacgillivray.co.uk
A Restless Knight, Kensington July 2006
Ravenhawke, Kensington October 2006
Invasion of Falgannon Isle, Dorchester 2006
Riding the Thunder, Dorchester tba
Bad Cat, Highland Press 2006
Getting It in the End, Highland Press 2006
Paganheart, Highland press 2006

Aithnichear an leomhann air sgriod de ionga.
(The Lion is kenned by the scratch of his claw)
PMEmail PosterUsers Website               
DesertRose 
Posted: 03-May-2005, 03:28 PM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian

ZodiacAlder

female

Thanks Deborah so much for your opinions! Yeah, romance novels get slapped around. I laugh at the covers too, but still enjoy reading the books! A good escape and entertainment for me! I didn't know Welfonder has come out with a new book. I really need to get on her website and check out all what she has out now. I haven't done that in a long time as I have been reading so many other books on my TBR list! I would love to read your novels, especially if they are romance. Are they set in Scotland? Have you been published yet? If they are let us know the titles and how we can get a hold of them. Please! Thanks! smile.gif

My sister-in-law is a Christian romance author. A little different. She has been published and has an agent, but I am prejudiced in the fact that the books I read have to be set in Scotland or have some Scottish connection. The series of books I am reading now are not set in Scotland, but in the wilderness in the 1800s. One of the lead protagonist is of Scottish heritage and they actually do go back to Scotland in one book, but return to the colonies. The author is Sara Donati and gives a good account of American history. I would recommend her books to you if you are interested. wink.gif Thanks again, Deborah! smile.gif
Deborah_MacGillivray 
Posted: 04-May-2005, 06:28 AM
Quote Post

Servant

ZodiacHazel

female

My novels are not in print yet. My agent is negotiating the contract right now (that noise you hear in the background is me biting my nails!!). This one is a the first in a series of seven. She is also looking for a home for my Scottish Historical set in the 13th Century loosely based on my ancestors' life during that period. The Contemporary/Paranormal Romance set in Scotland so that will pass your line. My agent is also a writer, under the pen name of Kate Angell, but alas, her books - while great fun to read - aren't set in Scotland.

Sue-Ellen's newest book is A Wedding for a Knight, and I feel it's her best book yet. She will also have a new novel in the series out in August: Only for a Knight. She is off to the Shetlands for a two week vacation the middle of this month, so I am sure we shall see that as a setting in one of her books soon!

Nansaidh 
Posted: 04-May-2005, 10:12 AM
Quote Post

Peasant

ZodiacReed

Realm: Bakersfield, CA

female

I'm currently reading for the second time The Sevenwaters Trilogy by Juliet Marillier (sp). It's romance, historical, and druidic. Very good. If anyone else has read them, I'd like to know what you think of them. If you haven't read them, I highly suggest them.
PMEmail Poster               
DesertRose 
Posted: 04-May-2005, 06:18 PM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian

ZodiacAlder

female

Ooh, Deborah! Let me know when you are published. I would love to read your books! Sound very interesting!

How exciting about Welfonder in the Shetland Islands! My dogs, Shetland Sheepdogs, were orginally bred there and I would like to learn some history of the area. So looking forward to that book too! Thanks so much again! wink.gif

Hi Nansaidh! Your books sound good too. Never heard of them. I will have to add them to my list too. Sheesh! Not enough hours in the day! Thanks for sharing! smile.gif
MKOC19 
Posted: 04-May-2005, 09:57 PM
Quote Post

Clan Member

ZodiacElder

female

I have been reading a few books under the author of Karen Moning. The recent series that I have been reading is the Highlander series. They have been quite entertaining and I have been trying to keep up on the series. Its been lots of fun.

bye1.gif
PMEmail Poster                
DesertRose 
Posted: 05-May-2005, 06:47 PM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian

ZodiacAlder

female

QUOTE (MKOC19 @ 04-May-2005, 10:57 PM)
I have been reading a few books under the author of Karen Moning. The recent series that I have been reading is the Highlander series. They have been quite entertaining and I have been trying to keep up on the series. Its been lots of fun.

bye1.gif

Hi MKOC19! Don't think we have met. Nice to have you here on the site and in the book forum! I LOVE Karen Marie Moning's books. I have read the whole series and anxiously awaiting her new book out in August.....The Spell of the Highlander. I love reading about the Sidhe how the author encorporates the mythology into her love story and then set in Scotland! Which book are you reading now? My faves in the series were the last three, but I loved them all. smile.gif
pkalexander 
Posted: 07-May-2005, 07:48 PM
Quote Post

Peasant
Group Icon

Group: Founder
ZodiacRowan

Realm: Denver, CO

male

Just finished The Kite Runner by Kahled Hosseini. Powerful!
PMEmail Poster               
DesertRose 
Posted: 13-May-2005, 07:17 PM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian

ZodiacAlder

female

Well I am still reading "Lake in the Clouds" by Sara Donati, but I have recently bought a ton of books on Scottish history. thought it was time to read those too. One of them I have had for a year that I am currently reading is Culloden by John Prebble. What a very very sad book about a horrible tragedy in Scottish history. sad.gif
Eiric 
Posted: 17-May-2005, 08:17 AM
Quote Post

Son of the Seven Seas and Keeper of the Holy Key
Group Icon

Group: Scotland
ZodiacAlder

Realm: Sweden, but me heart's in Scotland - An t-Suain, ach tha mo chridhe às ann Alba

male

I am reading a book that Alan Temperley has written called Harry and the... something Canna rembemer the name, and another book called Drachenreiter by Cornelia Funke. Books for teenagers/kids, I know, but they're really good...

--------------------
Anam Ceilteach

About Indigenous Peoples
If you ever needed a Gàidhlig dictionary

If you think you can hold me down
I beg to differ
If you think you can twist my words
I'll sing forever

Tha gach uile dhuine air a bhreth saor agus co-ionnan ann an urram 's ann an c̣irichean. Tha iad air am breth le reusan is le cogais agus mar sin bu cḥir dhaibh a bhith bẹ nam measg fhein ann an spiorad bràthaireil

If you think you can hold me down
I beg to differ
If you think you can twist my words
I'll sing forever
0 User(s) are reading this topic (0 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll

Celtic RadioTM broadcasts through Live365.com and StreamLicensing.com which are officially licensed under SoundExchange, ASCAP, BMI, SESAC and SOCAN.
©2014 Celtic Radio Network, Highlander Radio, Celtic Moon, Celtic Dance, Ye O' Celtic Pub and Celt-Rock-Radio.
All rights and trademarks reserved. Read our Privacy Policy.
Celtic Graphics ©2014, Cari Buziak

Link to CelticRadio.net!
Link to CelticRadio.net
View Broadcast Status and Statistics!

Best Viewed With IE 8.0 (1680 x 1050 Resolution), Javascript & Cookies Enabled.

[Home] [Top]

Celtic Hearts Gallery | Celtic Mates Dating | My Celtic Friends | Celtic Music Radio | Family Heraldry | Medival Kingdom | Top Celtic Sites | Web Celt Blog | Video Celt