Bookmark and Share
Damosel 
Posted: 04-Feb-2004, 09:42 PM
Quote Post

Peasant

Group: Celtic Nation
ZodiacVine

female

Right now I'm reading Sir Thomas Malory's "Le Morte D'Arthur". I've read dozens of Arthurian novels over the past few years but somehow only now have delved into 'the source'. It's slow going, like reading the King James Bible because of the language structure.

I agree with Roisin when she said "I too love books that weave a love story into historical events." My favorite in that regard is Joan Wolf's "Road to Avalon" - guaranteed for a tissue grab at the end.

I love hearing about all the different books people are reading. My Amazon list will get bigger and bigger!

Karen
PMEmail Poster               
DesertRose 
Posted: 04-Feb-2004, 11:41 PM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian

ZodiacAlder

Realm: The desert of Arizona

female

Well now I am reading three books at the same time! biggrin.gif I just got a new Scottish historical book in the mail.........finally.........called Culloden by John Prebble. The only way I can do this is read one chapter a night! All three books are too good to put down!

--------------------
Fine art & photography by DESERT ROSE IMAGES
http://www.desertrose-images.com
PMEmail PosterUsers WebsiteMy Photo Album               
Catriona 
Posted: 05-Feb-2004, 06:49 AM
Quote Post

Banned Member

ZodiacBirch

I'm still ploughing my way through a book by Tom Devine...

But for light relief I am reading the latest Quentin Jardine novel. He is a Scottish author who writes detective novels about a senior police officer in Edinburgh called Skinner.

I read a lot of detective and mystery type novels as light relief from the heavy going non-fiction stuff!

I'm not keen on romantic novels (wherever/whenever they are set!!!) - I like a mystery and like to try to work out 'whodunnit'. biggrin.gif
PMEmail Poster               
celtica 
Posted: 06-Feb-2004, 11:22 AM
Quote Post

Lady of the mists
Group Icon

Group: Brittany
ZodiacOak

Realm: Brest - Brittany

female

I'm reading "Last report about miracles at Little No Horse" by Louise Erdrich.
The style is brilliant. I loved the beguinning of the book but 200 pages after, I'm a bit disappointed. sad.gif

--------------------
Que restera-t-il de notre sang mêlé au sel, sans trace dans les mémoires ? Une ultime navigation, trompeuse. Et des souvenirs, illuminés d'embruns. Mais condamnés au silence de la mer... Loïc Finaz.
user posted image
PMEmail PosterUsers Website               
Elspeth 
Posted: 07-Feb-2004, 12:28 PM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian

ZodiacReed

female

I finished Tender is the Night by F. Scott Fitzgerald and found it to be, after the first couple of chapters, a fascinating book.

I didn?t make it to the library to pick up something more in the fast read line, so I started As I Lay Dying by William Faulkner. I am crippled by the fact I am horrible at remembering names and Mr. Faulkner has introduced what seems like a small city to me in a few pages in a very off handed way.

--------------------
Compassion is the sometimes fatal capacity for feeling what it is like inside somebody else's skin. It is the knowledge that there can never really be any peace and joy for me until there is peace and joy finally for you too.
- Frederick Buechner

If society prospers at the expense of the intangibles,
how can it be called progress?

-LLP
PMEmail Poster My Photo Album               
Aon_Daonna 
Posted: 07-Feb-2004, 06:41 PM
Quote Post

The Wolf Lady

ZodiacIvy

Realm: Fife, Scotland

female

bought & finished the elder gods yesterday... and discovered to my dismay it's the start of a series..

--------------------
Moderator: The Playground (RPG)

Carpe Jugulum
Carved with a twisted smile
An epitaph for sorrow
Sethian - Epitaph

If anybody wants a costum signature, pm me!
PMEmail Poster               
Catriona 
Posted: 07-Feb-2004, 07:33 PM
Quote Post

Banned Member

ZodiacBirch

I've normally got about three books on the go at one time - a couple of fiction and one heavier book!

Just finished The Murder Room by P D James (I love her writing style), and Playing with Fire by Peter Robinson.

Just about to start Quintin Jardine's latest in paperback.... Fallen Gods...
PMEmail Poster               
Bodhranai 
  Posted: 08-Feb-2004, 05:25 PM
Quote Post

Peasant

ZodiacHolly

Realm: Eugene, OR.

male

I've just finished SNOW CRASH by Neil Stevenson and am starting STIFF by Mary Roach thumbs_up.gif

--------------------
BOOMTapataCHING!
Vash ;-)~
The Bodhranai
http://www.bodhranai.jackalpress.com
PMEmail PosterUsers Website               
Nefariel 
Posted: 08-Feb-2004, 06:29 PM
Quote Post

Honored Clan Member

ZodiacAsh

female

I just finished reading The Silmarillion, which was nice. I finally sat down and just read it, after postponing it for so many years. It was refreshing, too. I really enjoyed it. Before that, I read A Tale of Two Cities, also one I've always wanted to read. And also a good book. I like the way Dickens uses description (but sometimes, I admit, I skimmed over some of that).

Now, I'm so excited, my friend is letting me borrow The DaVinci Code, and man o man, it's going to be so good! Has anyone read it yet?

~Neffie

--------------------
Aragorn What do you fear, my lady?
Eowyn A cage. To stay behind bars until use and old age accept them, and all chance of valor has gone beyond recall or desire.
PMEmail Poster               
Irish Stepper 
Posted: 09-Feb-2004, 09:42 AM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian

ZodiacOak

Realm: Maryland

female

I just got done with "Ice Station" by Matt Reilly. Talk about non-stop action!!! I wasn't able to put it down. Found out there's 2 more books after it. I can't wait to get to the library and check 'em out. biggrin.gif thumbs_up.gif

--------------------

user posted image
PMEmail Poster My Photo Album               
RavenWing 
Posted: 09-Feb-2004, 11:27 AM
Quote Post

Dorkus Trollus Maximus

ZodiacHazel

Realm: Indiana, USA

female

I am reading my National Geodraphic. After that, who knows? I need something new. Maybe I will go read One Hundred Years of Solitude

--------------------
May all your up's and down's be under the sheets!

Religion is for those who are afraid of going to Hell. Spirituality is for those who have already been there.
- Anonymous
PMEmail Poster               
birddog20002001 
Posted: 11-Feb-2004, 10:50 AM
Quote Post

No Dude, It's the Isle of Dude, Dude.
Group Icon

Group: Isle of Man
ZodiacRowan

Realm: North Carolina

male

Last night I finished reading Peter Brimelow's Alien Nation, common sense about America's immigration disaster. A very interesting read this is the book the diverted the heat from The Bell Curve in 95. Brimelow is an English immigrant and his thoughts on the needed changes in American immigration policy are quite contriversial to the typical American, but he does back up his words with hard facts. There has been only one proven error in the first edition of this book and this was actually not very significant error in my opinion. His ideas on immigration include removing the 1965 immigration law that has been abused and also proposes a clarification of the 14th ammendment (stating that all that are born in the US are natural citizens, this ammendment was written in order to support the idea that the freed slaves are in fact citizens) His book actually just attempts to push America to adjust their immigration laws to ones that are more similar to the rest of the world. For instance giving a limit on low/no skill workers and a priority to high skill workers. Low/no skill workers bring down the net value of the US and significantly higher rates end up in prision or on welfare again lowering the efforts of others. Another policy is the family reunification immigration policy, if they want to reunite let them do that in their native lands. His writing style is self-described as a sledghammer but it does make you think, and isn't that the purpose of books.

--------------------
"when a person is prepared to die for a cause, and indeed to glory in such a death, it impossible to supress him or the cause it represents." Jawaharlal Nehru

"Only the suppressed word is dangerous." Ludwig Borne

"All of our freedoms are a single bundle, all must be secure if any is to be preserved." Dwight David Eisenhower

"All men's souls are immortal, but the souls of the righteous are both immortal and divine." Socrates
PMEmail Poster               
Aon_Daonna 
Posted: 11-Feb-2004, 01:10 PM
Quote Post

The Wolf Lady

ZodiacIvy

Realm: Fife, Scotland

female

thru with Kushiels Avatar (in one evening yesterday.. just couldn't stop), thru with the Tarma & Kethry short stories, thru with the owl-trilogy of mercedes lackey, thru with the Kings Dragon by .. eh.. forgot her name, thru with the Elder Gods and currently reading A trust betrayed, a medieval murder mystery.

Told you I'm a bookworm! tongue.gif
PMEmail Poster               
gaberlunzie 
Posted: 11-Feb-2004, 02:55 PM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian

ZodiacVine

female

Read in another thread about the following books and gave them a try - I'm hooked on them.
Finished "Kushiel's Dart" and now I'm in the middle of Kushiel's Chosen". I've already ordered" Kushiel's Avatar" which isn't out yet but coming soon.
Thank you for recommending them, Aon - they are brilliant! smile.gif

--------------------
"Now here's my secret", said the fox, "it is very simple. It is only with ones heart that one can see clearly. What is essential is invisible to the eye."

("The Little Prince" by Antoine de Saint-Exupery)

"The soul would have no rainbow, if the eye had no tears."
(Native American Proverb)
PMEmail PosterMy Photo Album               
MDF3530 
  Posted: 11-Feb-2004, 05:02 PM
Quote Post

Madman with a box
Group Icon

Group: Scotland
ZodiacAlder

Realm: Midlothian, IL

male

I finished The Tommyknockers by Stephen King the other night. Now, I'm rereading Lies & The Lying Liars Who Tell Them by Al Franken.

--------------------
Mike F.

May the Irish hills caress you.
May her lakes and rivers bless you.
May the luck of the Irish enfold you.
May the blessings of Saint Patrick behold you.

user posted image
PMEmail PosterMy Photo Album               
0 User(s) are reading this topic (0 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll

Celtic RadioTM broadcasts through Live365.com and StreamLicensing.com which are officially licensed under SoundExchange, ASCAP, BMI, SESAC and SOCAN.
©2014 Celtic Radio Network, Highlander Radio, Celtic Moon, Celtic Dance, Ye O' Celtic Pub and Celt-Rock-Radio.
All rights and trademarks reserved. Read our Privacy Policy.
Celtic Graphics ©2014, Cari Buziak

Link to CelticRadio.net!
Link to CelticRadio.net
View Broadcast Status and Statistics!

Best Viewed With IE 8.0 (1680 x 1050 Resolution), Javascript & Cookies Enabled.

[Home] [Top]

Celtic Hearts Gallery | Celtic Mates Dating | My Celtic Friends | Celtic Music Radio | Family Heraldry | Medival Kingdom | Top Celtic Sites | Web Celt Blog | Video Celt