talleyrand 
Posted: 31-Jan-2004, 05:47 PM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian

Group: Celtic Nation
ZodiacAlder

Realm: Kansas City, Missouri USA

male

For pleasure, I'm rereading The Silmarillion (Tolkien) in addition to rereading the Ender's Game series (Card). I'm not sure what I'll read next, maybe I'll pull some suggestions from this or the other book threads bouncing around on this forum.

I'm also reading the second edition of Learning Python for work-fun. I've been programming in it off and on for a few months now but the some of the topics covered in the first edition were a wee vague or didn't exist in the language at the time. After that, I'll be cracking the spine of a regular expression book. It'll be work-related too but not so much on the fun side.

--------------------
I don't think of myself as a lion. You might as well, though - I have a mighty roar.
Jubel Early
PMEmail PosterUsers WebsiteMy Photo Album               View My Space Profile.
DesertRose 
Posted: 31-Jan-2004, 06:11 PM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian

ZodiacAlder

Realm: The desert of Arizona

female

After I finish with the Diana Gabaldon books I am reading, I think I am going to read the LOTR series. Not sure if I should start with the Hobbit or the LOTR trilogy. Plus I have the Similrillion! Where do you all suggest I start?

--------------------
Fine art & photography by DESERT ROSE IMAGES
http://www.desertrose-images.com
PMEmail PosterUsers WebsiteMy Photo Album               
Cailiosa 
Posted: 31-Jan-2004, 08:42 PM
Quote Post

Braveheart Member

ZodiacHolly

Realm: Western Kentucky

female

QUOTE (CelticRose @ Jan 31 2004, 05:11 PM)
After I finish with the Diana Gabaldon books I am reading, I think I am going to read the LOTR series. Not sure if I should start with the Hobbit or the LOTR trilogy. Plus I have the Similrillion! Where do you all suggest I start?

While The Hobbit does provide some background knowledge as to where the Ring came from and who Gollum and Bilbo are, I don't think reading it is essential in order to understand The Lord of the Rings. As for The Silmarillion, I would probably wait and see if you really like the world of Middle Earth before you try to tackle it. I think it's a great work, but it can be a bit challenging at times, but definitely worth it if you really enjoy the world and characters Tolkien has created.
Happy reading! tongue.gif

--------------------
"For man He suffered and He died:
If man will take His word as guide
And leave all infamy,
Then we shall come to happiness
And blisses more than we can guess in Jesu's company."

Check out my journal
PMEmail Poster               
maggiemahone1 
Posted: 31-Jan-2004, 09:14 PM
Quote Post

High Queen of Ireland

ZodiacIvy

Realm: Southern West Virginia

female

Roisin-Teagan, I read Angelas Ashes a few years back and I thought it was wonderful. I think I'll read it over. biggrin.gif Do you ladies ever read your books more than once? Maybe twice! Am I the only one that does this? biggrin.gif

maggiemahone1
PMEmail PosterUsers Website                View My Space Profile.
talleyrand 
Posted: 31-Jan-2004, 09:21 PM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian

ZodiacAlder

Realm: Kansas City, Missouri USA

male

I'd say start with The Hobbit. It's light reading as others have mentioned. Then tackle The Lord Of The Rings, including the appendices. If after all that you still have a hunger for all things Middle Earth, then I'd suggest trying The Silmarillion. For those that don't know, it's the story of creation and the fall of ME, elves and such. In some places, it's great, other places it's rather Old Testament (Finwe begat Feanor, Fingon, Fingolfin, Finarfin...)
PMEmail PosterUsers WebsiteMy Photo Album               View My Space Profile.
DesertRose 
Posted: 31-Jan-2004, 09:29 PM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian

ZodiacAlder

female

Ooh! Tallyrand! Thank you for your advice. I was kind of thinking along those lines too but wasn't sure. Many thanks! thumbs_up.gif

Maggie! Yes I do read my books more than once! I bought the book "Angela's Ashes" but have yet to read it. Seen the move many times though. So loved the movie, even though it was very sad.
Cailiosa 
Posted: 01-Feb-2004, 12:16 AM
Quote Post

Braveheart Member

ZodiacHolly

Realm: Western Kentucky

female

QUOTE (maggiemahone1 @ Jan 31 2004, 08:14 PM)
Roisin-Teagan, I read Angelas Ashes a few years back and I thought it was wonderful. I think I'll read it over. biggrin.gif Do you ladies ever read your books more than once? Maybe twice! Am I the only one that does this? biggrin.gif

maggiemahone1

Certainly not, Maggie! If I find a good book I find it hard to give up. Most of the books in my collection I have read at least twice, even more if I really enjoy it. I think I've read Return of the King at least five or six times . . . tongue.gif
PMEmail Poster               
Elly 
Posted: 01-Feb-2004, 05:20 AM
Quote Post

Honored Clan Member

ZodiacReed

female

Aye I read a lot of books more than once Maggie, I usually get recommended books if I can from the library and if I really like them, go and buy them for my collection.

Angela`s Ashes is a great book, haven`t read the second one yet `Tis` I think it`s called. wink.gif
PMEmail PosterUsers Website               
gaberlunzie 
Posted: 01-Feb-2004, 06:21 AM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian

ZodiacVine

female

I do not know how often I reread the books I love...and I love almost all the books I have smile.gif .
And I've got some books I'm regularly coming back to to look up things as my history books and others about special interests.
Books are like good friends...you have to meet them more than once... smile.gif

--------------------
"Now here's my secret", said the fox, "it is very simple. It is only with ones heart that one can see clearly. What is essential is invisible to the eye."

("The Little Prince" by Antoine de Saint-Exupery)

"The soul would have no rainbow, if the eye had no tears."
(Native American Proverb)
PMEmail PosterMy Photo Album               
Roisin-Teagan 
Posted: 01-Feb-2004, 06:35 AM
Quote Post

a ragamuffin of Eireann
Group Icon

Group: Ireland
ZodiacElder

Realm: South Louisiana

female

QUOTE (gaberlunzie @ Feb 1 2004, 05:21 AM)
I do not know how often I reread the books I love...and I love almost all the books I have smile.gif .
And I've got some books I'm regularly coming back to to look up things as my history books and others about special interests.
Books are like good friends...you have to meet them more than once... smile.gif

Hear, Hear! I'll second that!

I always read a book more than once that I love. In fact I cherish it and savor our next encounter. wink.gif

--------------------
Roisin-Teagan

"There, in that hand, on that shoulder under that chin---all of its lightness delicately balanced and its strings skillfully bowed---it becomes a voice."---Rich Mullins

"At 18, if you have oversized aspirations, the whole world sees you as a dreamer. At 40, you get the reputation for being a visionary." ---Rich Mullins

"God gives the gifts where He finds the vessel empty enough to receive them."---C.S. Lewis

Éire go Brách!
PMEmail Poster               
DesertRose 
Posted: 02-Feb-2004, 03:27 AM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian

ZodiacAlder

female

QUOTE (Roisin-Teagan @ Jan 31 2004, 12:37 PM)
Hey Rosemary, No I didn't see the thread on "The Ragamuffin Gospel." I'll go check it out. It is a very different book from your run of the mill books on the Grace of God. Singing Artists Michael W. Smith, Rich Mullins, and Michael Card highly recommended it. M.W. Smith and Rich Mullins even wrote forwards for the book explaining how it impacted their lives. Here are some others: Max Lucado, author of God came near, and Eugene Peterson, author of the Message.

Well Roisin! I was wrong again! didn't know the author of the Ragamuffin Gospel was Brandon Manning...........I stand corrected and glad you found the thread! smile.gif
Roisin-Teagan 
Posted: 02-Feb-2004, 10:23 AM
Quote Post

a ragamuffin of Eireann
Group Icon

ZodiacElder

Realm: South Louisiana

female

No problem...Rose! I've been wrong before and I'll be wrong again! wink.gif tongue.gif

PMEmail Poster               
Eamon 
Posted: 02-Feb-2004, 11:37 AM
Quote Post

Captain of the Prydwen
Group Icon

ZodiacReed

male

Rose, if I may be so bold as to suggest that you read the Hobbit, first, then the trilogy. It sets the stage, and is a fun book. As for the Silmarillion, it is fantastic, but a commitment. Those on the thread that compared it to the Old Testament are dead on. When Tolkien describes an army of Balrogs taking on the Elven city of Gondolin it is amazing, but chewing through some of the other chapters is a bit daunting. Go for it, but not first. The Hobbit is where you want to start.

As for what I am reading? "Nutmeg of Consolation" by Patrick O'Brian. It is the 14th book of the "Master and Commander" series and is an excellent read. Wonderful books that paint vivid pictures of the turn of the century.

Eamon

--------------------
"I care not whether I die tomorrow or next year, if only my deeds live after me." -Cuchullain

"Bíodh roinnt de sin agat!"
PMEmail Poster               
DesertRose 
Posted: 02-Feb-2004, 03:46 PM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian

ZodiacAlder

female

Thanks Eamon for your recommendation! thumbs_up.gif I am going to have to buy another book case to fill all these books I am buying! unsure.gif
birddog20002001 
Posted: 03-Feb-2004, 11:40 AM
Quote Post

No Dude, It's the Isle of Dude, Dude.
Group Icon

Group: Isle of Man
ZodiacRowan

Realm: North Carolina

male

Right now i am reading "Enemy at the Gates" it is the fully documented account of the German attempt to conquer Stalingrad during WWII. The book is what the movie was based on but the movie really only told the story of Vasilli Zietsev and Maj. Kroening's sniper war. the movie was close on most counts but the Russian politick Officer wasn't killed just shot through the shoulder and that wasn't when Kroening was killed, Tania wasn't courted by the RPO and Zietseiv married another after the war, but she did kill 80 German's in 3 months. The book speaks of the atrocities of war; 2 German's ripping an infant in half in front of a mother and a Russian Soldier hiding in the woods he killed German's for pleasure once blowing up a barracks he counted 360 legs before he lost interest. Men dropping dead of starvation and freezing solid. Russian green hats whose job was to kill other Russians that were retreating. 200,000 German's surrounded by Russians. At the beginning 10,000 dying per day, 40,000 on the first day. After months 500 per day (We just reached 500 in Iraq) this story is so sad the tragedy of those dying for naught. I don't want to under sell 911 both were tragedies but this is a whole other scale. This should be remembered.

--------------------
"when a person is prepared to die for a cause, and indeed to glory in such a death, it impossible to supress him or the cause it represents." Jawaharlal Nehru

"Only the suppressed word is dangerous." Ludwig Borne

"All of our freedoms are a single bundle, all must be secure if any is to be preserved." Dwight David Eisenhower

"All men's souls are immortal, but the souls of the righteous are both immortal and divine." Socrates
PMEmail Poster               
0 User(s) are reading this topic (0 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll

Celtic RadioTM broadcasts through Live365.com and StreamLicensing.com which are officially licensed under SoundExchange, ASCAP, BMI, SESAC and SOCAN.
©2014 Celtic Radio Network, Highlander Radio, Celtic Moon, Celtic Dance, Ye O' Celtic Pub and Celt-Rock-Radio.
All rights and trademarks reserved. Read our Privacy Policy.
Celtic Graphics ©2014, Cari Buziak

Link to CelticRadio.net!
Link to CelticRadio.net
View Broadcast Status and Statistics!

Best Viewed With IE 8.0 (1680 x 1050 Resolution), Javascript & Cookies Enabled.

[Home] [Top]

Celtic Hearts Gallery | Celtic Mates Dating | My Celtic Friends | Celtic Music Radio | Family Heraldry | Medival Kingdom | Top Celtic Sites | Web Celt Blog | Video Celt