DesertRose 
Posted: 28-Jan-2004, 02:47 PM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian

Group: Celtic Nation
ZodiacAlder

Realm: The desert of Arizona

female

I am reading The Fiery Cross by Diana Gabaldon. It is the fifth book of her series. Although she is mistakenly put in the category of "romance" writer and I have her in the Historical romance thread. She is really a fiction writer who writes about historical events and puts a fictional love story within the books. I know in her first book she was not very accurate in her dealings with Scottish history, having never stepped foot in Scotland before she wrote her first book, Outlander. She actually wrote the novel for fun and never intended for it to take off like it did! She was a researcher at the University of Arizona for many years has since been to Scotland and has done a lot of research since and even wrote several books to the Outlander series. The main characters have left Scotland after the battle of Culloden and have been in the states dealing with other matters, such as the Revolutionary War. I am particularly interested in this period as my 3rd great-grandfather and some great uncles of mine fought in this war.

So what about you?

--------------------
Fine art & photography by DESERT ROSE IMAGES
http://www.desertrose-images.com
PMEmail PosterUsers WebsiteMy Photo Album               
Aon_Daonna 
Posted: 28-Jan-2004, 03:02 PM
Quote Post

The Wolf Lady

ZodiacIvy

Realm: Fife, Scotland

female

tongue.gif historical romance is fiction isn't it? I would definitly put her into the historical romances, simply because she does mix things up with a good portion of "schmalz" and mythology.

Right now I'm re-reading Kushiel's Dart, which I simply love. hopefully by next week I should have Kushiel's Chosen as well.
On my bedside table is Lord of Snow and Shadows by Sarah Ash (I think). It's alright but it's not really overly good. I might go to Stirling in a weeks time and give it away to that bookshop and buy some new books for myself.
I think next week I'll also buy the new book of David & Leigh Eddings, the Elder Gods. So please, don't tell me how it is...

--------------------
Moderator: The Playground (RPG)

Carpe Jugulum
Carved with a twisted smile
An epitaph for sorrow
Sethian - Epitaph

If anybody wants a costum signature, pm me!
PMEmail Poster               
Elspeth 
Posted: 28-Jan-2004, 03:17 PM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian

ZodiacReed

female

I am reading Tender is the Night by F. Scott Fitzgerald. Can't say I am particularly blown away by it, but it is interesting to read of the post-WWI time period by one who was living it, not in retrospect. Also, the writing itself makes it worth the time to read.

The thing I find interesting about reading pre-visual media books is the vast difference in the level of description between them and what is published now. I'm assuming that is because we have mental immages of so many things that didn't exist 80 years ago. There is no reason to describe a pineapple now, but 80 years ago, how many people had actually seen one?

And, we have TV movies of the week that have covered so many topics that almost nothing is taboo. So, to read books written in times where so much was never discussed or even mentioned is interesting. What was scandalous then may not even raise an eyebrow now. And yet, human nature remains consistent.

After this, I'm going for something lighter. May have to see if there is Dick Francis novel I missed.

--------------------
Compassion is the sometimes fatal capacity for feeling what it is like inside somebody else's skin. It is the knowledge that there can never really be any peace and joy for me until there is peace and joy finally for you too.
- Frederick Buechner

If society prospers at the expense of the intangibles,
how can it be called progress?

-LLP
PMEmail Poster My Photo Album               
DesertRose 
Posted: 28-Jan-2004, 03:32 PM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian

ZodiacAlder

female

QUOTE (Aon_Daonna @ Jan 28 2004, 03:02 PM)
tongue.gif historical romance is fiction isn't it? I would definitly put her into the historical romances, simply because she does mix things up with a good portion of "schmalz" and mythology.

Right now I'm re-reading Kushiel's Dart, which I simply love. hopefully by next week I should have Kushiel's Chosen as well.
On my bedside table is Lord of Snow and Shadows by Sarah Ash (I think). It's alright but it's not really overly good. I might go to Stirling in a weeks time and give it away to that bookshop and buy some new books for myself.
I think next week I'll also buy the new book of David & Leigh Eddings, the Elder Gods. So please, don't tell me how it is...

That's why I have DG in the historical romance fiction thread! tongue.gif biggrin.gif
MDF3530 
  Posted: 28-Jan-2004, 06:51 PM
Quote Post

Madman with a box
Group Icon

Group: Scotland
ZodiacAlder

Realm: Midlothian, IL

male

On my nightstand right now, for the umpteenth time, is The Tommyknockers by Stephen King.

--------------------
Mike F.

May the Irish hills caress you.
May her lakes and rivers bless you.
May the luck of the Irish enfold you.
May the blessings of Saint Patrick behold you.

user posted image
PMEmail PosterMy Photo Album               
silverdragon 
Posted: 30-Jan-2004, 12:39 AM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian
Group Icon

Group: Scotland
ZodiacHolly

Realm: Tarzana, CA

female

Re-reading Lord of the Rings. Don't ask me how many times I've read it -- far too many to count. book.gif

--------------------
Where now the horse and the rider? Where is the horn that was blowing?
Where is the helm and the hauberk, and the bright hair flowing?
Where is the hand on the harpstring, and the red fire glowing?
Where is the spring and the harvest and the tall corn growing?
They have passed like rain on the mountain, like a wind in the meadow
The days have gone down in the West behind the hills into shadow
Who shall gather the smoke of the dead wood burning
Or behold the flowing years from the Sea returning?

~ J.R.R. Tolkien

My blog: Almost, but not quite, entirely unrelated to filmmaking
PMEmail PosterUsers Website                
jaynebylak 
Posted: 30-Jan-2004, 12:44 PM
Quote Post

Honored Clan Member

ZodiacElder

Realm: North Carolina

female

I am rereading the series of Dara Joy in preparation for the 4 one in series to be released this year. I am reading

Knight of a Trillion Stars...then Rejar then High Intensity. Cant wait till her next one gets here.
Jayne book.gif
PMEmail Poster               
Roisin-Teagan 
Posted: 31-Jan-2004, 01:22 AM
Quote Post

a ragamuffin of Eireann
Group Icon

Group: Ireland
ZodiacElder

Realm: South Louisiana

female

Here are the books I've recently finished reading: "Absalom, Absalom!" by William Faulkner (A hard but good read)
"Angela's Ashes" by Frank McCourt A Memoir---Winner of the Pulitzer Prize (Wonderful)
"No Compromise--The Life Story of Keith Green" by Melody Green (Very moving)

Right now, I'm reading "The Ragamuffin Gospel" by Brennan Manning (So far, so good)
What I want to read next is "A Star Called Henry" by Roddy Doyle--The National Bestseller; "Jane Eyre" for the 3rd time by Charlotte Bronte and "Wuthering Heights" by Emily Bronte for the second time. I love the classics!

I too love books that weave a love story into historical events. But I want the action to out weigh the love story. One book that I love that does a very good job of this is Leon Uris' "Trinity" This particular book really affected me as a teen. The author took a period in Irish History during the struggles and troubles before the Easter Uprising and created a character that you watched grow from a child into a hero/martyr. Uris is a wonderful writer and "Trinity" is an Awesome Novel!

Just my three pence worth!
Roisin
angel_not.gif

--------------------
Roisin-Teagan

"There, in that hand, on that shoulder under that chin---all of its lightness delicately balanced and its strings skillfully bowed---it becomes a voice."---Rich Mullins

"At 18, if you have oversized aspirations, the whole world sees you as a dreamer. At 40, you get the reputation for being a visionary." ---Rich Mullins

"God gives the gifts where He finds the vessel empty enough to receive them."---C.S. Lewis

Éire go Brách!
PMEmail Poster               
Roisin-Teagan 
Posted: 31-Jan-2004, 01:28 AM
Quote Post

a ragamuffin of Eireann
Group Icon

ZodiacElder

female

QUOTE (MDF3530 @ Jan 28 2004, 05:51 PM)
On my nightstand right now, for the umpteenth time, is The Tommyknockers by Stephen King.

I've never read a Stephen King novel before.

Mike, what book would you recommend for a novice King reader? I've seen many of the movies made from his many novels, but never had the nerve to read them for myself...I think I'm ready now? unsure.gif

I see Tommyknockers is your favorite, but where should I start? rolleyes.gif
PMEmail Poster               
DesertRose 
Posted: 31-Jan-2004, 01:50 AM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian

ZodiacAlder

female

Roisin did you see the thread about the Ragamuffin Gospel in the forum here? You would be in good company! smile.gif

I just bought another new book today called "The Purpose Driven Life" by Rick Warren! I hear this is a fantastic book and hope to learn some valueable things in it! wink.gif smile.gif
Elspeth 
Posted: 31-Jan-2004, 05:59 AM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian

ZodiacReed

female

QUOTE (CelticRose @ Jan 31 2004, 01:50 AM)
I just bought another new book today called "The Purpose Driven Life" by Rick Warren! I hear this is a fantastic book and hope to learn some valueable things in it! wink.gif smile.gif

If you read that one, let me know, I'd love to hear what you think of it. I tried to read it and had a horrific reaction to it. Had to stop before I tossed it across the room. Every other paragraph I found myself scribbling notes to debate the author. rolleyes.gif
PMEmail Poster My Photo Album               
Roisin-Teagan 
Posted: 31-Jan-2004, 12:37 PM
Quote Post

a ragamuffin of Eireann
Group Icon

ZodiacElder

female

Hey Rosemary, No I didn't see the thread on "The Ragamuffin Gospel." I'll go check it out. It is a very different book from your run of the mill books on the Grace of God. Singing Artists Michael W. Smith, Rich Mullins, and Michael Card highly recommended it. M.W. Smith and Rich Mullins even wrote forwards for the book explaining how it impacted their lives. Here are some others: Max Lucado, author of God came near, and Eugene Peterson, author of the Message.

I've never read "The Purpose Driven Life" by Rich Warren. So you and Elspeth have sparked my curiosity. One book that will challenge you (not to throw it across the room, but grab a box of tissues) is a book entitled, "The God Chasers: My Soul Follows Hard After Thee" by Tommy Tenney. Tenney's book was so successful that he has written a series of different kinds of God Chasers books. Here is one review---"The God Chasers is not for the fainthearted but for those who, in pursuit of God, are willing to die in the process." Ken Gott, Revival Now!, Sunderland, United Kingdom.

angel_not.gif
PMEmail Poster               
DesertRose 
Posted: 31-Jan-2004, 03:33 PM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian

ZodiacAlder

female

Roisin, I goofed! I thought that Siusaidh has started a thread on "The Ragamuffin Gospel" but instead it was Brennan Manning! Sorry about that. I think she is the one who told me she was reading the same book as you but I got confused.......as usual.

I haven't started reading The Purpose Driven Life yet. I keep hearing about it from everyone and how good it is, so I bought it. At this age in my life, I still would like to know what my purpose is! Hopefully I will find out and will let you gals know how I am liking the book.

For some reason I have never cared from Max Lucado's books. I have tried to read them. I don't know why or how to explain it , but it is his writing style I don't like.

Cailiosa 
Posted: 31-Jan-2004, 05:07 PM
Quote Post

Braveheart Member

ZodiacHolly

Realm: Western Kentucky

female

Currently, I am reading The Hobbit, by J.R.R. Tolkien. I just recently finished The Fellowship of the Ring. It's so weird swithching between the two, since they were written in two very distinct styles. The Fellowship and the rest of the trilogy are so detailed and mature and The Hobbit is so whimsical -- it's so easy to see how Tolkien's children would have enjoyed it as a bedtime story when they were young. biggrin.gif

--------------------
"For man He suffered and He died:
If man will take His word as guide
And leave all infamy,
Then we shall come to happiness
And blisses more than we can guess in Jesu's company."

Check out my journal
PMEmail Poster               
Cailiosa 
Posted: 31-Jan-2004, 05:14 PM
Quote Post

Braveheart Member

ZodiacHolly

Realm: Western Kentucky

female

Oh, I'll also be reading The God You Can Know (not sure who it's by) for a Bible study whenever the books arrive. Have to let you all know how it is.
I know a lot of people and churches that studied The Purpose Driven Life recently and really enjoyed it. How it goes well for you, Rose. biggrin.gif
PMEmail Poster               
0 User(s) are reading this topic (0 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll

Celtic RadioTM broadcasts through Live365.com and StreamLicensing.com which are officially licensed under SoundExchange, ASCAP, BMI, SESAC and SOCAN.
©2014 Celtic Radio Network, Highlander Radio, Celtic Moon, Celtic Dance, Ye O' Celtic Pub and Celt-Rock-Radio.
All rights and trademarks reserved. Read our Privacy Policy.
Celtic Graphics ©2014, Cari Buziak

Link to CelticRadio.net!
Link to CelticRadio.net
View Broadcast Status and Statistics!

Best Viewed With IE 8.0 (1680 x 1050 Resolution), Javascript & Cookies Enabled.

[Home] [Top]

Celtic Hearts Gallery | Celtic Mates Dating | My Celtic Friends | Celtic Music Radio | Family Heraldry | Medival Kingdom | Top Celtic Sites | Web Celt Blog | Video Celt