Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll

> Brennan Manning, Have you read any of his books?
Bookmark and Share
Siobhan Blues 
Posted: 27-Jan-2004, 01:14 PM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian

Group: Celtic Nation
ZodiacOak

Realm: Pursuing happiness at 'The Shire' in western Georgia where hummingbirds buzz & horses graze

female

Not long ago I discovered writer Brennan Manning and his book "The Ragamuffin Gospel". which explores our perception of God and what 'grace' actually is. I found the book to be quite thought-provoking!

Has anyone else read it, or 'Ruthless Trust' which I've just begun to read?

--------------------
"All that is gold does not glitter, Not all those who wander are lost;
The old that is strong does not wither, Deep roots are not reached by the frost.
From the ashes a fire shall be woken, A light from the shadows shall spring;
Renewed shall be blade that was broken, The crownless again shall be king..."
user posted image

SGGardner Art

www.SouthernShireFarm.com
PMEmail PosterUsers Website               View My Space Profile.
Roisin-Teagan 
Posted: 31-Jan-2004, 12:50 PM
Quote Post

a ragamuffin of Eireann
Group Icon

Group: Ireland
ZodiacElder

Realm: South Louisiana

female

Hey Siusaidh,

I'm reading "The Ragamuffin Gospel" right now. I'm really enjoying it. Like you said this book is thought provoking, but I'm only on chapter four, because I've been so busy. (Need to read more!)
I discovered Brennan Manning through Rich Mullins. Another book of Manning's just came out entitled, "The Heart of the Rabbi" a devotional book. I'm going to buy this one next.

Let me know how you like "Ruthless Trust." I haven't heard of this one. BTW: Manning lives in my hometown of N.O. He and Rich Mullins became very good friends in the early 90s. Well, you probably already know this.

Roisin
angel_not.gif

--------------------
Roisin-Teagan

"There, in that hand, on that shoulder under that chin---all of its lightness delicately balanced and its strings skillfully bowed---it becomes a voice."---Rich Mullins

"At 18, if you have oversized aspirations, the whole world sees you as a dreamer. At 40, you get the reputation for being a visionary." ---Rich Mullins

"God gives the gifts where He finds the vessel empty enough to receive them."---C.S. Lewis

Éire go Brách!
PMEmail Poster               
Siobhan Blues 
Posted: 03-Feb-2004, 02:57 PM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian

ZodiacOak

Realm: Pursuing happiness at 'The Shire' in western Georgia where hummingbirds buzz & horses graze

female

Hi! Glad to see you've posted here!!

Yes, I knew that they were acquainted from reading some bios about them. I suspect they related well, with their rather unique ways of looking at traditional religion vs. a spirituality that really comes from the heart! I am fascinated with Brennan's decisions to leave some traditional church teachings behind and how he's found such a bigger sense of God in the world.

God's a whole lot bigger than I thought, too! biggrin.gif
In a very very good, awesome way...
Roisin-Teagan 
Posted: 03-Feb-2004, 06:01 PM
Quote Post

a ragamuffin of Eireann
Group Icon

ZodiacElder

female

I totally agree---God is Way bigger than we imagine and His love is a whole lot bigger too!
PMEmail Poster               
Siobhan Blues 
Posted: 17-Feb-2004, 10:05 AM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian

ZodiacOak

female

Here's something from chapter five of "The Ragamuffin Gospel" that I underlined, and feel that it expresses my sentiments quite accurately. I am someone who daily finds delight in the natural world around me but I see that many people spend each day unaware of the wonders just outside the office window... I was truck by Brennan's statements:

"Our world has lost its sense of wonder. We have grown up. We no longer catch our breath at the sight of a rainbow or the scent of a rose, as we once did...There was a time in the not too distant past when a thunderstorm caused grown men to shudder and feel small. But God is being edged out of His world by science. The more we know about meteorology, the less inclined we are to pray during a thunderstorm...
Our world is saturated with grace, and the lurking presence of God is revealed not only in spirit but in matter... God intended for us to discover His loving presence in the world around us."
Roisin-Teagan 
Posted: 18-Feb-2004, 03:58 AM
Quote Post

a ragamuffin of Eireann
Group Icon

ZodiacElder

female

That is a very profound passage and all so true. I too underlined statements and passages from the book that struck me deep. I'll post a few later on.

angel_not.gif
PMEmail Poster               
Siobhan Blues 
Posted: 18-Feb-2004, 09:08 AM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian

ZodiacOak

female

Please do! I'd love to see what passages meant the most to you.

Here's another of my underlined highlights:
"Jesus's tenderness is not in any way determined by how we pray or what we are or do. In order to free us for compassion towards others, Jesus calls us to accept His compassion in our own lives, to become gentle, caring, compassionate and forgiving towards ourselves in our failure and need...
The way we see other people is usually the way we see ourselves. If we have made peace with our flawed humanity and embraced our ragamuffin identity, we are able to tolerate in others what was previously unacceptable in ourselves."
(ch. 8. The Ragamuffin Gospel)
Roisin-Teagan 
Posted: 18-Feb-2004, 11:36 AM
Quote Post

a ragamuffin of Eireann
Group Icon

ZodiacElder

female

QUOTE (Siobhan Blues @ Feb 18 2004, 08:08 AM)
Please do! I'd love to see what passages meant the most to you.

Here's another of my underlined highlights:
"Jesus's tenderness is not in any way determined by how we pray or what we are or do. In order to free us for compassion towards others, Jesus calls us to accept His compassion in our own lives, to become gentle, caring, compassionate and forgiving towards ourselves in our failure and need...
The way we see other people is usually the way we see ourselves. If we have made peace with our flawed humanity and embraced our ragamuffin identity, we are able to tolerate in others what was previously unacceptable in ourselves."
(ch. 8. The Ragamuffin Gospel)

The one you posted is one of them!

Here is another:

"'Often I have been asked, "Brennan, how is it possible that you became an alcolholic after you got saved?'" It is possible because I got battered and bruised by loneliness and failure, because I got discouraged, uncertain, guilt-ridden, and took my eyes off of Jesus. Because the Christ-encounter did not transfigure me into an angel. Because justification by grace through faith means I have been set in right relationship with God, not made the equivalent of a patient etherized on a table."

There are many others, but this particular passage speaks to me of God's Extravagant Grace. We can often fail, but as the Word says..."Where sin abounds, grace much more abounds." Without His grace where would I be?

Speaking of grace...Have you heard about the Mel Gibson Film, "The Passion of the Christ?"
It is opening across the nation on Feb 25. I'm going on opening day. I can't wait! I've been waiting for this film since I heard Gibson was filming in Italy in the fall of 2002. If your interested check out the website...www.thepassionofthechrist.com. You can check there to see if it's showing in your neck of the woods. The film has already sold out for opening day in the four different multi-plexs in the New Orleans metro area. I'll probably be standing in line for about two hours to ensure my son and I get a good seat. From the reviews I've read, minus the New York (Lies) Times it is more than a moive it is an experience. It is not anti-sematic, it is a story about sacrafice, love, grace, forgiveness and triumphant glory.

Cheers!
Roisin
angel_not.gif
PMEmail Poster               
Siobhan Blues 
Posted: 23-Feb-2004, 01:30 PM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian

ZodiacOak

female

QUOTE (Roisin-Teagan @ Feb 18 2004, 11:36 AM)
Speaking of grace...Have you heard about the Mel Gibson Film, "The Passion of the Christ?"...

Darlin', I am so excited about seeing this film! When I first heard about it being made, I was concerned that it wouldn't be an accurate portrayal of what the scriptures say happened during those last 12 hours. So I've been paying attention to interviews with Mel Gibson to see what sources he based the screenplay on. To my relief he sounds committed to being true to the gospel accounts.

I am counting the days til the movie comes to the theater near me!
Roisin-Teagan 
Posted: 24-Feb-2004, 06:23 AM
Quote Post

a ragamuffin of Eireann
Group Icon

ZodiacElder

female

QUOTE (Siobhan Blues @ Feb 23 2004, 12:30 PM)
Darlin', I am so excited about seeing this film! When I first heard about it being made, I was concerned that it wouldn't be an accurate portrayal of what the scriptures say happened during those last 12 hours. So I've been paying attention to interviews with Mel Gibson to see what sources he based the screenplay on. To my relief he sounds committed to being true to the gospel accounts.

I am counting the days til the movie comes to the theater near me!

Me too...Darlin'. I had the same concerns at first. To my relief, Gibson seems to have done his homework on this particular film. It's going to be Awesome!!!! and Powerful!!!!
PMEmail Poster               
Siobhan Blues 
Posted: 24-Feb-2004, 11:59 AM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian

ZodiacOak

female

During my pre-java haze this morning, I did manage to comprehend a little interview Diane Sawyer did with the actor who portrays Christ... he was telling how his first meeting about being in the movie was a bit unusual. He said he thought he had an appointment with a man representing Gibson to talk about a surfer movie and that Gibson showed up & began to talk about 'passion' movies of the past that dealt with the suffering of Christ...

Cazievel said he blurted out 'You want ME to portray Christ, don't you??' and with a hard drag on his cigarette & a twinkle in his eyes, Gibson growled "YES!"
Funny!

Roisin-Teagan 
Posted: 24-Feb-2004, 02:18 PM
Quote Post

a ragamuffin of Eireann
Group Icon

ZodiacElder

female

Gibson is a lively character and he seems to have a wonderful funny personality. Those blue eyes draw you into every word he says. I bet Jim C. was taken in right away.

Another thing I heard Jim C. say is that he told Gibson right after that, "By the way, my initials are J.C. and I'm 33 years old," and Mel said, "Man your freaking me out!" Very weird in a good way, huh Siobhan?

Oh, by the way why did you change the first name of your username? Just curious?
Bye!

Roisin angel_not.gif
PMEmail Poster               
Siobhan Blues 
Posted: 12-Apr-2004, 09:52 AM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian

ZodiacOak

female

QUOTE (Roisin-Teagan @ Feb 24 2004, 02:18 PM)
Another thing I heard Jim C. say is that he told Gibson right after that, "By the way, my initials are J.C. and I'm 33 years old," and Mel said, "Man your freaking me out!"  Very weird in a good way, huh Siobhan?

Oh, by the way why did you change the first name of your username? Just curious?
Bye!

Roisin  angel_not.gif

Yep, I did change my username... just felt like being a bit more Irish since I don't have any Scot blood and 'Siusaidh' is a Scottish name. I found on a web site that Siobhan is the Irish version of my real name. Plus, an Irish friend's sister is named Siobhan & says its a traditional name and I like that... also, I like the way the name doesn't sound like it looks cool.gif

Oh oh, I saw that interview too where Jim C. tells the 'man you're freaking me out' story. It was hilarious! I like both of these guys. On the news this morning they said the Passion movie topped the charts again this weekend - surprise surprise - and that's nice. I still haven't seen it, believe it or not! But I may wait til it comes out on dvd...

I do know how the movie ends wink.gif

SB
Roisin-Teagan 
Posted: 13-Apr-2004, 04:04 AM
Quote Post

a ragamuffin of Eireann
Group Icon

ZodiacElder

female

I did too, but I wanted to see it on the big screen just the same. cool.gif
PMEmail Poster               
0 User(s) are reading this topic (0 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll

Celtic RadioTM broadcasts through Live365.com and StreamLicensing.com which are officially licensed under SoundExchange, ASCAP, BMI, SESAC and SOCAN.
©2014 Celtic Radio Network, Highlander Radio, Celtic Moon, Celtic Dance, Ye O' Celtic Pub and Celt-Rock-Radio.
All rights and trademarks reserved. Read our Privacy Policy.
Celtic Graphics ©2014, Cari Buziak

Link to CelticRadio.net!
Link to CelticRadio.net
View Broadcast Status and Statistics!

Best Viewed With IE 8.0 (1680 x 1050 Resolution), Javascript & Cookies Enabled.

[Home] [Top]

Celtic Hearts Gallery | Celtic Mates Dating | My Celtic Friends | Celtic Music Radio | Family Heraldry | Medival Kingdom | Top Celtic Sites | Web Celt Blog | Video Celt