maggiemahone1 
Posted: 09-Mar-2004, 07:22 PM
Quote Post

High Queen of Ireland

Group: Celtic Nation
ZodiacIvy

Realm: Southern West Virginia

female

QUOTE (CelticRose @ Feb 29 2004, 02:50 AM)
Maggie, I had noticed one time as you mentioning Catherine Coulter as one of your favorite authors! I really love her too, but a lot of romance readers I know don't like her. sad.gif But I really do!

I enjoy reading Catherine Coulter! She has a unique style of writing. I would say she is one of my favorite's.

maggiemahone1
PMEmail PosterUsers Website                View My Space Profile.
DesertRose 
Posted: 09-Mar-2004, 07:30 PM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian

ZodiacAlder

Realm: The desert of Arizona

female

Notice how some writers just don't flow for you? Well Catherine Coulter does for me. Now I have only read one of her novels called, The Scottish Bride, and I loved that novel. I have many of her other novels but have yet to read them. rolleyes.gif What all have you read from her?

--------------------
Fine art & photography by DESERT ROSE IMAGES
http://www.desertrose-images.com
PMEmail PosterUsers WebsiteMy Photo Album               
maggiemahone1 
Posted: 09-Mar-2004, 08:04 PM
Quote Post

High Queen of Ireland

ZodiacIvy

Realm: Southern West Virginia

female

CelticRose, Here's a few right off hand! Very good reading! For me it's hard to put one of her books down once I start reading.

The Scottish Bride
Fire Song
Lord of Raven's Peak
Midnight Star
PMEmail PosterUsers Website                View My Space Profile.
DesertRose 
Posted: 09-Mar-2004, 08:34 PM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian

ZodiacAlder

female

The only book that we have in common is The Scottish Bride! I loved it! What did you think? I had so many people tell me they did not like that book. sad.gif
BonnieJean 
Posted: 25-Mar-2004, 07:30 PM
Quote Post

Peasant

ZodiacHazel

Realm: Canada

female

angel_not.gif Well I have read, in the past while, Linda Hilton's Desires Slave, Patricia Pellicane's Desire's Glory, Catherine Coulter's Night Storm, Ann Lawrence's Lord of the Keep, Johanna Lindsey's 1987 novel Secret Fire, Danice Allen's Arms of a Stranger. And I am currently reading The Heather and the Thistle by Kathleen Morgan. It is bassed out of Grampion Region, Scotland- January 1568. It's pretty good. But since I am just beginning my research on Scotland, I can't say what is supposingly true or not. But dare I say it is verra, verra interesting...lol Hmm I like these historical romances so much, I am beginning to think it might not be a good idea to find out if all these books or parts of them, were actually true or not. lol

--------------------
The eagle can see extraordinarily well, is very strong willed, and graceful. Eagle people are great observers, have great intuition and creativity. They try to bring things together and better them through creative actions.
PMEmail Poster               
DesertRose 
Posted: 25-Mar-2004, 11:19 PM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian

ZodiacAlder

female

Hi BonnieJean! So great to have you here. Well take a lot of these historical novels with a grain of salt. What it all boils down to is the authors interpretation and their story surrounding it.............but I STILL love reading them. If I want to know the real truth of Scottish history then I get on the net or read a good historical book. However, having said that, it is these so-called "historical romance novels" that have gotten me to research the "real thing" about the history, so I figure some good comes out of it. In the meantime, I really truly love the genre and my favorite author is Diana Gabaldon! Who is your favorite author? I do love Catherine Coulter.

I am readiing the Fiery Cross from Diana Gabaldon now. What are you reading now?
BonnieJean 
Posted: 26-Mar-2004, 05:41 PM
Quote Post

Peasant

ZodiacHazel

Realm: Canada

female

angel_not.gif Hi there CelticRose,

I am currently reading ~The Heather and the Thistle~ by Kathleen Morgan. It is based in the Grampion Region, Scotland-Janary 1568. It has to do with the rescue plot of Mary, Queen of Scots, from Lochleven Castle. The author does have a note in the back (which does not really spoil the ending for me) that the events are depicted almost exactly as she has written them. Of course the only fictional part is the romance of the main characters Heather Gordon and Duncan MacKenzie. It is a well written book. Like I said, since I am only beginning my research on Scotland, I cannot say one way or another what is actually believeable or not. At any rate, reading historical romances is a huge passion of mine. I have been to many a places throughout the world within the pages of these books. LOL My twin sister is also a huge fan of historical romances. I do believe that with some will power within herself, she could also be a great writer.

Anyways, I am also looking for recommended HR books, so if you have any that you really liked, please let me know and I can do the same.

The only other writer I will say that I had read almost every book of, is Johanna Lindsey. With the exception of those books that have the -into-the-future-themes. I am not into the far future, but the far past. But that's just me.

Anyways, Catherine Coulter's Night Storm was also very intriging. The setting begins in December 1814-Crrick Grange, Northumberland, England. It's a good read. IMO

Any more books to recommend? Please do tell....

BonnieJean

PMEmail Poster               
DesertRose 
Posted: 31-Mar-2004, 01:45 AM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian

ZodiacAlder

female

Hi BonnieJean! Sorry just now responding but I have been out of town the past several days!

I saw that book The Heather and The Thistle and wondered then if I shouldn't have gotten it! I saw it in Target which is an hour and a half from me. Now when I go back, I will need to get it! Boo hoo! Stupid me knew I should have gotten it. So it is pretty good, eh?

I am reading a series by Diana Gabaldon called the Outlander series. She has five books in the series and I am currently on the fifth. She is coming out with the sixth book the end of this year. It starts out in Scotland and then ends up in the colonies of America in the 1700's. Very interesting history surrounded by a love story. That's the thing I love about historical romance novels!

I have a whole list of other authors if you are interested too! biggrin.gif
tialaws 
  Posted: 30-Apr-2004, 01:17 PM
Quote Post

Peasant

ZodiacRowan

Realm: alabama,usa

female

celtic rose..looked up a web site interview with diana gabaldon, nov 2003, she said she would have 2 more jamie and claire books after "fiery cross". she said the series should end in the 1800's. you seem an avid fan of her books like myself, i thought i would let you know if you didn't already
PMEmail Poster               
tialaws 
Posted: 30-Apr-2004, 01:25 PM
Quote Post

Peasant

ZodiacRowan

Realm: alabama,usa

female

a pretty good author that i have just picked up on is linda howard..Son Of The Morning is what i've finished..a little time travel with a scottish highlander, templar knights and the myster of the holy grail, the shroud etc. murder,mystery and mayhem! a definately fun and interesting read
PMEmail Poster               
emerald-eyedwanderer 
  Posted: 30-Apr-2004, 04:41 PM
Quote Post

The Gypsy Artist
Group Icon

Group: Celtic Princess
ZodiacHawthorn

Realm: Wherever life takes me.

female

I have been reading some of Philippa Gregory's books. She is a very interesting author. My favourite of her's is The Other Boleyn Girl. It's about Anne Boleyn's sister and the life in court to Henry the Eighth. A def thumbs_up.gif, (even though I'm sure a lot of it was pure entertainment) it is an interesting point of view not usually heard.

-Em

--------------------
Peace cannot be achieved through violence, it can only be attained through understanding. ~Ralph Waldo Emerson

If you judge people you have no time to love them. ~Mother Teresa

Help Out

user posted image
PMEmail PosterUsers Website My Photo Album               View My Space Profile.
DesertRose 
Posted: 01-May-2004, 06:32 PM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian

ZodiacAlder

female

QUOTE (tialaws @ Apr 30 2004, 01:17 PM)
celtic rose..looked up a web site interview with diana gabaldon, nov 2003, she said she would have 2 more jamie and claire books after "fiery cross". she said the series should end in the 1800's. you seem an avid fan of her books like myself, i thought i would let you know if you didn't already

Hi Tialaws! Yes, I have indeed read that about Diana Gabaldon. That there is supposed to be two more books! Then she is coming out with a book on Jamie's parents too! Yippee! Right now she is working on a mystery novel that is set here not from where I live.

If you like Diana Gabaldon, I hear that Sara Donati's books are wonderful too. She even mentions Jamie, Claire and Ian in her books! There is a series on three in this set and another one due out in August. They are set in the Americas in the 1800s. Sounds like you are reading some interesting books too!
DesertRose 
Posted: 01-May-2004, 06:36 PM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian

ZodiacAlder

female

BonnieJean! If you are still around! I bought the book, The Thistle and the Rose by Jean Plaidy. It is set around the time of Princess Margaret Tudor! Just thought I would share.
Lyra Luminara 
Posted: 30-May-2004, 02:26 PM
Quote Post

Braveheart Member

ZodiacVine

Realm: Éire (okay fine, it's really PA, USA but that's just boring.)

female

I just find their covers funny....but there was this one 'Viking' series which looked hilarious...titles like 'my fair viking' and 'truly madly viking'. Then there was another that was pirate based called 'master of seduction' and one called 'master of the highlands' or something...something having to do with cheesy romance in the highlands haha. Sorry, but come on, the harlequin covers are just hilarious.

--------------------
If we could just stand here, without the words, would that be enough? ..Look at the sky now. What color is it? Or the way a hawk flies. Or you wake up and your ribs are bruised thinking so hard on somebody. What do you call that?

"Don't cross the street if you can't get out of the kitchen"
PMEmail PosterUsers Website               
DesertRose 
Posted: 30-May-2004, 08:09 PM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian

ZodiacAlder

female

QUOTE (Lyra Luminara @ 30-May-2004, 02:26 PM)
I just find their covers funny....but there was this one 'Viking' series which looked hilarious...titles like 'my fair viking' and 'truly madly viking'. Then there was another that was pirate based called 'master of seduction' and one called 'master of the highlands' or something...something having to do with cheesy romance in the highlands haha. Sorry, but come on, the harlequin covers are just hilarious.

Lyra! You are right! The romance novels do have these cheesy covers. some of the men on there are pretty handsome, but most are so pretty I would call them "pie faces." I know that real Highlanders weren't really that pretty! But it is all fantasy and fun for some of us! That is why I like the so-called historical romance novels cause the author has taken a bit o' history and put a love story within it. I am not saying they are always accurate, but it gets you interested in reading the real history though. I have never read a Harlequin in my life! LOL hey! I never thought I would be caught dead reading these books I do read! biggrin.gif But I picked up The Scottish Bride by Catherine Coulter and it went from there!
0 User(s) are reading this topic (0 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll

Celtic RadioTM broadcasts through Live365.com and StreamLicensing.com which are officially licensed under SoundExchange, ASCAP, BMI, SESAC and SOCAN.
©2014 Celtic Radio Network, Highlander Radio, Celtic Moon, Celtic Dance, Ye O' Celtic Pub and Celt-Rock-Radio.
All rights and trademarks reserved. Read our Privacy Policy.
Celtic Graphics ©2014, Cari Buziak

Link to CelticRadio.net!
Link to CelticRadio.net
View Broadcast Status and Statistics!

Best Viewed With IE 8.0 (1680 x 1050 Resolution), Javascript & Cookies Enabled.

[Home] [Top]

Celtic Hearts Gallery | Celtic Mates Dating | My Celtic Friends | Celtic Music Radio | Family Heraldry | Medival Kingdom | Top Celtic Sites | Web Celt Blog | Video Celt