ArizonaAmy9 
Posted: 16-Jul-2005, 11:49 PM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian

Group: Celtic Nation
ZodiacVine

Realm: Tempe, Arizona USA

female

Well...I confess to being completely addicted to romance novels...particularly of scottish/historic nature. I just started a series by Stephanie Laurens...the first book - The Devil's Bride...I'll let you know what I think when done but I believe there are like 7 books in her wee series so...if it is good, there is something to look forward to until September when A Breath of Snow And Ashes hits our bookshelves and our greedy hands!!

Ta...
amy smile.gif

--------------------
[email protected]
PMEmail PosterMy Photo Album               
ImmortalAvalon 
Posted: 17-Jul-2005, 10:55 AM
Quote Post

Chieftain of the Clan

ZodiacAlder

Realm: North Carolina

female

Hi, Amy.

I've read most of those, and there are, currently, 12 books in the Cynster series, plus a special volume about Devil's parents. As far as I know, there are 3 more in the works.
PMEmail PosterUsers Website               
ArizonaAmy9 
Posted: 17-Jul-2005, 12:42 PM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian

ZodiacVine

female

Ahhh thanks ImmortalAvalon...I am nearly done after reading quite a bit last night. Needed some way to relax after helping with wedding reception stuff all day!! I must admit I am a sucker for a strong minded man...and an equally strong minded woman so...The Devil's Bride is pretty good. I think I'll shoot over to Stephanie Lauren's website real quick since it seems there is more to look forward to!

Happy reading!
amy smile.gif
Monarchs Own 
Posted: 17-Jul-2005, 05:44 PM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian

ZodiacElder

Realm: Phenix City, AL - back in the good ole USA

female

Well, yesterday I got my second shipment of books from my husband for our anniversary.

This time arrived:

Brides of the Bloodstone # 2 - Tamed by your desire by Jen Hollings
Hot & Heavy by Sandra Hill
Legendary Warrior by Donna Fletcher
Tess and the Highlander by May McGoldrick
The Princess Masquerade by Lois Greiman

Still to come

Brides of the Bloodstone # 3 - Captured by your Kiss

I got a lot of reading to do.

Happy Pageturning biggrin.gif

--------------------
user posted image
PMEmail PosterMy Photo Album               View My Space Profile.
Monarchs Own 
Posted: 21-Jul-2005, 07:49 PM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian

ZodiacElder

female

Finally got my last book!

Now I have plenty to read. biggrin.gif

I guess my husband wanted to make sure that I am kept busy while he is gone unsure.gif wonder why?

I am still working my way through the Dark Series of Christine Feehan. So far so good.

After that back to Scotland - just haven't decided which book to read. wink.gif

Hope you are all well.

Happy pageturning!
ArizonaAmy9 
Posted: 25-Jul-2005, 11:38 AM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian

ZodiacVine

female

biggrin.gif Hi all...well...I did finish reading The Devil's Bride while at the hospital with my daughter. (That is another long story...) but I really did enjoy this story and it is even better since I know there are several more to come involving the brothers of this character. I'll be heading over to my local used bookstore (Bookmen's) and try to find several of the other books in this series. While I wait for September to get here!

BTW - I also am a huge fan of Karen Marie Moning....she is wonderful...and has a lot of spice in her stories. So looking forward to her new one as well....

Happy reading all...
amy smile.gif
DesertRose 
Posted: 25-Jul-2005, 06:13 PM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian

ZodiacAlder

Realm: The desert of Arizona

female

Hey Amy! Bookman's is where I buy all my books if I can! I usually go to the one in Tucson though. However, I pre-ordered Moning's new book through Amazon. I couldna wait!

who is the author of the last book you read? I never heard that series before. unsure.gif

--------------------
Fine art & photography by DESERT ROSE IMAGES
http://www.desertrose-images.com
PMEmail PosterUsers WebsiteMy Photo Album               
Monarchs Own 
Posted: 28-Jul-2005, 09:09 PM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian

ZodiacElder

female

Well I got Karen Marie Moning Immortal Highlander (in Paperback the other day).

Also got me a new series - it's not Historical Romance but pretty good!

Undead and Unwed
Undead and Unemployed

both by Mary Janice Davidson. She writes with a lot of humor - like Katie MacAllister!

Here is a short - what these books are about.

Undead and Unwed!

It's been a helluva week for Betsy Taylor. First, she loses her job. Then, to top things off, she's killed in a car accident. But what really bites (besides waking up in the morgue dressed in a pink suit and cheap shoes courtesy of her stepmother) is that she can't seem to stay dead. Every night she rises, with a horrible craving for blood. She's not taking to well to a liquid diet.

Worst of all, her new friends have the rediculous idea that Betsy is the prophesied vampire queen, and they want her help in overthrowing the most obnoxious, power-hungry vampier in five centuries - a badly dressed Bela Lugosi wannabe, natch. Frankly, Betsy couldn't care less about vamp politics, but they have a powerful weapon of persuasion: designer shoes. How can any self-respecting girl say no? But a collection of Ferragamos isn't the only temptation for Betsy. It's a lot safer than the scrumptious Sinclair - a seductive bloodsucker whose sexy gaze seems as dangerous as a stake through the heart...

Undead and Unemployed!

Nothing can make Betsy Taylor give up her shoe fetish - even dying and rising as the new Queen of the Vampires. Being royally undead isn't all it's cracked up to be - ther are still bills to be paid. And Betsy is determined to live as normally as possible, even if it means getting a job. A "feet" she accomplishes with panache. landing her dream job selling designer shoes at Macy's.

Things couldn't be better - except for her new friends, who keep pestering her while she's on the clock. As if she has tome to socialize when there are deliciously sinful shoes to try on - and buy at a discount. It seems that vampires are being murdered in St. Paul, and they're all clamoring for Betsy to do something about it. The worst part is she's going to have to enlist the help of the one vamp who makes her blood boil: the oh-so-sexy Sinclair. Now, she's really treading on dangerous ground - high heels and all.....

Happy Reading and pageturning! king.gif
ArizonaAmy9 
Posted: 28-Jul-2005, 10:15 PM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian

ZodiacVine

female

Hi Celticrose...

The author is Stephanie Laurens...and this seems like a good little series to read after my kids are all in bed! Me & my Mom used to shop Bookmen's in Flag and now I shop at the one here in Mesa....love them! I also have good luck at Half-Price books in Mesa. Not sure if you have one down there Tuscon way...

Talk soon...
amy smile.gif
DesertRose 
Posted: 30-Jul-2005, 04:29 AM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian

ZodiacAlder

female

Hey there gals! I am reading a Scottish historical book right now. If I gave you the name of it, I would get a tos violation. This book deals with the women of the Jacobite rising of the 45 and really excellent.

Can't wait till both Diana Gabaldon and Karen Marie Moning' s books come out in the next couple months.

I really should be finishing up with Sara Donati's Fire Along the Sky, but I just can't resist this book on women of Scottish history right now.

Amy, I wrote down Stephanie Laurens book title for future read. I have shopped at the Mesa Bookman's used book store many many times! We probably ran into each other and didn't know it! laugh.gif What more do we have in common?!

Monarch! You have not read The Immortal Highlander yet? Oh wow! Are you ever in for a big surprise! wink.gif Your new book sounds really good!

Happy reading, y'all!
ArizonaAmy9 
Posted: 01-Aug-2005, 04:02 PM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian

ZodiacVine

female

biggrin.gif I happen to have a copy of Karen Marie Moning's The Immortal Highlander right now...and am glad to have something to occupy my time before ABOSAA comes out. Not that it will take me more than a few days to finish it but...I love her books...verra zesty!! Waiting for her new one as well...
Monarchs Own 
Posted: 02-Aug-2005, 09:19 AM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian

ZodiacElder

female

QUOTE (CelticRose @ 30-Jul-2005, 05:29 AM)
Monarch! You have not read The Immortal Highlander yet? Oh wow! Are you ever in for a big surprise! wink.gif Your new book sounds really good!

CR - I have read the Immortal Highlander before - twice but I got the book from the library since I wanted to wait for it to come out in Paperback. Much easier to move with Paperbacks than with Hardcovers.

Happy Pageturning!
DesertRose 
Posted: 04-Aug-2005, 05:46 PM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian

ZodiacAlder

female

Oh that's right, Monarch! I think you told me that and I just forgot. Hardbacks are indeed more difficult to manage.
ArizonaAmy9 
Posted: 05-Aug-2005, 12:09 PM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian

ZodiacVine

female

hi again fellow romance readers...I just was looking at my book self, well dusting it, but anyway...thought I'd chime in with names of some more authors I really like. So if any of you share same or have others to suggest...I'd like to share talk and such...

Mary Balough
Marsha Canham
Elaine Coffman
Shannon Drake
Christine Feehan
Kathleen Givens
Hannah Howell
Karen Marie Moning
Amanda Scott
Christina Skye

Most of these authors write only about Scotland but I really enjoy the vampire series by Christine Feehan and Shannon Drake. Mary Balough (as well as Stephanie Laurens) have many stories set in England but they are good as well. So...if any of you have other authors to suggest, I'd love to hear from you. Always looking for another good book! Or if you just want to talk about fav books...I'm open to that too....so what are some of your favs???

happy reading!
amy smile.gif
stoirmeil 
Posted: 05-Aug-2005, 01:28 PM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian

ZodiacBirch

Realm: New York

My goodness, this thread is an education! It sound like some of you could actually make a nice little light lecture series out of it for a continuing ed program somewhere. I'm sure it would be attended well. smile.gif

I am not a very big consumer of this genre, but I wanted to mention two authors that I liked when I was a kid (their books were lying around the house -- we're talking 50's - 60's childhood - and you know how precocious readers will pick up anythint and devour it at that age). One I'm sure you've heard of, she's kind of a classic --Anya Seton (Katherine, The Winthrop Woman, Dragonwyk, Green Darkness, The Turquoise). I think Katherine is the central one from her -- the story of Katherine Swynford, a real woman who was the mistress of John of Gaunt, Duke of Lancaster and had a bunch of children by him, who later were legitimized and ultimately entered into the royal lineage. (The minor character of Geoffrey Chaucer, who was married to her sister, is beautifully drawn in this book too.)

And Frank Yerby, though he doesn't pass post-feminist muster for a lot of reasons wink.gif is still a great read. My favorite was called The Saracen Blade. The Golden Hawk and Pride's Castle were two other favorites. He has a predictable frame, with male protagonists who fall deeply in love with two women, who have very different qualities (kind of "one madonna, one whore", in a subtle way, although they are very complex and invariably courageous characters, and not really stereotypical) and then finally ends up with one of them after more or less tragically losing the other. Plenty to analyze there. laugh.gif But historically, for detail and writing level, he is not unlike Anya Seton. And they are ripping good stories.

CelticRose, I didn't know you were an OB-GYN nurse. You might want to read another old novel, The Cry and the Covenant, by Morton Thompson. It is a beautiful and at the same time hair-raising novelization of the life of Ignaz Semmelweis, the man who figured out why the women were dying of childbed fever in Vienna in the 1880's and then burned himself out trying to make the medical profession believe him. This is a good piece on the book and on him:

http://www.doyletics.com/arj/tcatcrvw.htm
PMEmail Poster               
0 User(s) are reading this topic (0 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll

Celtic RadioTM broadcasts through Live365.com and StreamLicensing.com which are officially licensed under SoundExchange, ASCAP, BMI, SESAC and SOCAN.
2014 Celtic Radio Network, Highlander Radio, Celtic Moon, Celtic Dance, Ye O' Celtic Pub and Celt-Rock-Radio.
All rights and trademarks reserved. Read our Privacy Policy.
Celtic Graphics 2014, Cari Buziak

Link to CelticRadio.net!
Link to CelticRadio.net
View Broadcast Status and Statistics!

Best Viewed With IE 8.0 (1680 x 1050 Resolution), Javascript & Cookies Enabled.

[Home] [Top]

Celtic Hearts Gallery | Celtic Mates Dating | My Celtic Friends | Celtic Music Radio | Family Heraldry | Medival Kingdom | Top Celtic Sites | Web Celt Blog | Video Celt