ImmortalAvalon 
Posted: 07-May-2005, 09:29 PM
Quote Post

Chieftain of the Clan

Group: Celtic Nation
ZodiacAlder

Realm: North Carolina

female

Who picks the titles of the books, the publisher? I just assumed the author did!

Actually, I read on Sara Donati's web site that she wanted to call the third book Hidden Wolf, but that the marketing people didn't like that, so she came up with some others that she would find acceptable. They chose Lake in the Clouds.

They see Braveheart and love Scotland and think they can portray it accurately.

I've never been to Scotland, either, but I've read enough historical non-fiction stuff about that period so that parts of Braveheart made me laugh (such as his relationship with Isabelle of France).

I hate it when writers make little mistakes like that, having absolutely nothing to do with artistic liscience.

A few years ago, I read a book about Anne Boleyn. Supposedly, she kept a diary, and left it for Elizabeth. Well, we are reading this journal along with Elizabeth, and it is accompanied with bits and pieces of her romance with Robert Dudley. Now, the whole story is bent and twisted, but most of that can be somewhat forgiven because it makes a good story, but I didn't know whether to laugh or swear when the author got the name of the Spanish ambassador wrong. That part of the book was about Elizabeth's travails under her sister, Mary, and the author mentioned the ambassador, de Quandra. Now, to begin with, the name is, de Quadra (he was a bishop, BTW), and he didn't become the ambassador until after Elizabeth became the Queen. During that part of Mary's reign, the ambassador was de Feria (he was a count). LOL.

Oh, BTW, I have a bit of a riff with Gabaldon's Outlander series....about that paper Roger found about the death of Jamie and Claire.....I know the snake thing was suspposed to be poignant, but with that foreknowledge, it came off being melodramatic to me.
PMEmail PosterUsers Website               
DesertRose 
Posted: 07-May-2005, 10:03 PM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian

ZodiacAlder

Realm: The desert of Arizona

female

Hi Immortal Avalon! Thanks for telling us about Sara Donati's titleing of the books. Actually, I am reading Lake in the Clouds right now and so far most of it has taken place outside of Lake in the Clouds so not sure why they named it even that! Most of it is about Hannah and while I like Hannah, I miss Elizabeth and Nathaniel and getting tired of reading about Hannah's days at the hospital! That's my gripe for the night! rolleyes.gif

Oh about Outlander. Now I don't remember anything about a snake. It's been a year since I read those books. So can you refresh my memory on the snake part? As much as I love the Outlander series, there are a few scenes in the books that do come off a little melodramatic to me too. Not sure which book you're reading so don't want to spoil it for you.

I bought a new Scottish romance book yesterday called Daring the Highlander by Lauren Wittig. Never heard of the author but saw the book in the grocery store and of course I had to buy it! rolleyes.gif

--------------------
Fine art & photography by DESERT ROSE IMAGES
http://www.desertrose-images.com
PMEmail PosterUsers WebsiteMy Photo Album               
ImmortalAvalon 
Posted: 08-May-2005, 04:53 AM
Quote Post

Chieftain of the Clan

ZodiacAlder

female

Hi, CelticRose!

Oh, the snake part is in The Fiery Cross, I've read all of them that are currently out.

I don't know why it was called Lake in the Clouds, either, or Hidden Wolf, for that matter. I finished it last night, and I'm waiting to get the next one from my mother. (She went through my library books one day and made off with a few, lol).

Oh, wait a moment, now that I think about it, I think I might have an idea why, but that comes at the end, so I won't spoil it for everyone.

Tonight, I've taken a bit of a break from romance (sort of) and read an Anne McCaffrey novella called No One Noticed the Cat. I think it's kind of cute.

Oh, the term Regency, when referring to romances, anyway, refers to any book that takes place between 1810 and 1830, give or take a few years, set in Britain (most times in London for the Season). Julia Quinn's Bridgerton novels are Regencies (I just LOVE Lady Whistledown!), as are Stephanie Laurens's Cynster and Bastion Club series.
ImmortalAvalon 
Posted: 08-May-2005, 06:22 PM
Quote Post

Chieftain of the Clan

ZodiacAlder

female

Okay, I've just finished reading Beyond the Highland Mist by Karen Marie Moning, and have a question.....how does one write a novel taking place in Scotland in the summer and fall of 1513 and NOT even mention the Battle of Flodden Field (September 9, 1513)???????

Monarchs Own 
Posted: 08-May-2005, 09:00 PM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian

ZodiacElder

Realm: Phenix City, AL - back in the good ole USA

female

Hey it's been a few days since I have been here.

I have to say that I don't really pay attention to the historical background in the books, since I know a lot of writers (not all of them) don't do their research properly. Some mention in the end of the book, that they changed things because of fitting better in the story but that's okay.

I mean these are romance novels and if I want to learn about the history I grab a history book. But some details should better be taken care of, like for example the light in the summer issue.

But if there are battles not mentioned and so - I think I can live with it.

I rather get the real facts from a history book than from a romance novel. I actually got so mixed up in the Queens and Kings of England that I got me a book from the library to check up on them and get them straight. Made the whole understanding a lot easier, since I also could put a face to each name.

Yes I like Susan King also. Have also quite some books of her and also of Sue-Ellen Wellenfonder. But mostly I like to read the romance novels out of pure enjoyment - and because the hero is either a hunky scot in a kilt, or a knight in shining armor. Of course life in those times probably never haven been so nice looking as described in most of these books.

Did anyone get the new Book of Janet Chapman? The Dangerous Protector. I hope it's good. Have to get to read it in the next few days but at least it's already in my bookshelf.

--------------------
user posted image
PMEmail PosterMy Photo Album               View My Space Profile.
gwenlee 
Posted: 09-May-2005, 08:24 AM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian
Group Icon

Group: Founder
ZodiacAlder

female

Hey everyone;

I have to agree with Monarchs Own. I'm not looking for a history lesson when I read a romance novel, even if it is historical novel.
PMEmail PosterMy Photo Album               
DesertRose 
Posted: 09-May-2005, 07:22 PM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian

ZodiacAlder

female

Hey all! Very interesting discussion here! Actually it was the romance novels set in Scotland that got me into buying actual history books on Scotland. I read all these books for entertainment as well, but at first I was believing the historicity in the books too until I started talking to Scots who know their history and that set me to doing some research of my own. Now I know to separate the two. The hard part is when..........like the blackness at midnight in summer part. My sister-in-law is a published author and we were talking about this very issue yesterday. She feels that if an author is going to call herself a "historical romance writer" than she needs to have the details and facts accurate as well.

I agree totally with what Monarch said about the characters are fun to read about as they were really not that way back then. From what I understand, the actual Highlanders of that day were a pretty grimey lot with bad teeth, hardly bathed, wore tattered clothes! These books of hunky and braw Highlanders we read give us a way of escape into another world of fantasy and fun.

And I had to do the same thing, Monarch! I had to buy two history books on the Kings and Queens of both England and Scotland to get it all straight.

ImmortalAvalon! I don't remember the snake in Fiery Cross! Remind me of what happened there again and I will comment on it. Did you like Lake in the Clouds? I am still working on it. At least I am back at Hidden Wolf. I love Lil Lilly and Daniel. They are so cute, but they are in big time trouble now!

Monarch, I have not gotten the new Janet Chapman book yet. Waiting on that to come out in paperback first. wink.gif
Monarchs Own 
Posted: 10-May-2005, 04:19 PM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian

ZodiacElder

female

QUOTE (CelticRose @ 09-May-2005, 09:22 PM)

Monarch, I have not gotten the new Janet Chapman book yet. Waiting on that to come out in paperback first. wink.gif

It's already out in paperback. I don't think she does hardcovers. It was supposed to come out in May. I just bought it at Wal-Mart for $4.88.

So go shopping LOL.

DesertRose 
Posted: 10-May-2005, 04:40 PM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian

ZodiacAlder

female

QUOTE (Monarchs Own @ 10-May-2005, 05:19 PM)
QUOTE (CelticRose @ 09-May-2005, 09:22 PM)

Monarch, I have not gotten the new Janet Chapman book yet. Waiting on that to come out in paperback first.  wink.gif

It's already out in paperback. I don't think she does hardcovers. It was supposed to come out in May. I just bought it at Wal-Mart for $4.88.

So go shopping LOL.

What????????? I didn't know that! I have to go to Wal-mart this week cause I have a gc for there to shop with. Ooh! I will look for it then. Thanks so much, Monarch! biggrin.gif
Monarchs Own 
Posted: 10-May-2005, 05:25 PM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian

ZodiacElder

female

You are more than welcome CR
Monarchs Own 
Posted: 12-May-2005, 01:41 PM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian

ZodiacElder

female

Well I was yesterday at one of my local bookstores (Books-A-Million) and they had a clearance sale.

Hardcovers for $5.00 a piece. Well no wonder I walked out there with my arm full.

Got me

The Bridemaker by Rexanne Becnel
The Heartbreaker by Rexanne Becnel
One Night of Passion by Elizabeth Boyle
Brides of the Bloodstone: Tempted by your Touch - by Jen Holling
Lone Arrow's Pride by Karen Kay
The Husband Hunt by Jillian Hunter
To Kiss a Spy by Jane Feather (that one was only $3.00 - because it was a library book but in really good condition).

Also I got me

Wet and Wild by Sandra Hill - Paperback (Time Traveling Vikings mmmmmhhhhh)
His Bonnie Bride by Hannah Howell

The last two were not on sale - wish they would have been. Well at least I will be happy for a few days until I am done reading those. biggrin.gif
DesertRose 
Posted: 13-May-2005, 07:14 PM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian

ZodiacAlder

female

Wow! Monarch! You got some good deals there! I have not heard of any of those authors, except for Hannah Howell and I have that book you bought. Those books should keep you busy for awhile. What are you doing with all your books when you finish them? do you have room to store them? I am running out of room is why I asked. rolleyes.gif

Oh, and went to Wal-mart yesterday and got Janet Chapman's latest book, Dangerous Protector. I just need to get "The Seductive Imposter" and I will have all her books. smile.gif

Give us recaps on your books as you read them, ok?
Monarchs Own 
Posted: 14-May-2005, 09:26 PM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian

ZodiacElder

female

Yeah I got all Janet Chapman books and I sure will give you a recap on all the books when I get through.

Been almost through with the Hannah Howell book though.

So far so good - like all her books

DesertRose 
Posted: 18-May-2005, 02:24 AM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian

ZodiacAlder

female

Thanks Monarch! I have nearly all of Hannah Howell's books but have never read any of hers........yet. Very anxious to though. Hope you are doing well!
Monarchs Own 
Posted: 18-May-2005, 07:11 PM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian

ZodiacElder

female

Yeah I finished Hannah Howell and my Sandra Hill book and can say - these are great.

So far so good - now on to the next ones biggrin.gif

But tonight I have a major task ahead of me. My husband surprised me with a new computer he ordered for me from Iraq. So now I am sitting here and setting this thing up and listen to Highlander Radio with my new surround system that came with the computer.

Ahhhh my husband spoils me so badly.

Well, I guess I keep in going and get it done with.
0 User(s) are reading this topic (0 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll

Celtic RadioTM broadcasts through Live365.com and StreamLicensing.com which are officially licensed under SoundExchange, ASCAP, BMI, SESAC and SOCAN.
2014 Celtic Radio Network, Highlander Radio, Celtic Moon, Celtic Dance, Ye O' Celtic Pub and Celt-Rock-Radio.
All rights and trademarks reserved. Read our Privacy Policy.
Celtic Graphics 2014, Cari Buziak

Link to CelticRadio.net!
Link to CelticRadio.net
View Broadcast Status and Statistics!

Best Viewed With IE 8.0 (1680 x 1050 Resolution), Javascript & Cookies Enabled.

[Home] [Top]

Celtic Hearts Gallery | Celtic Mates Dating | My Celtic Friends | Celtic Music Radio | Family Heraldry | Medival Kingdom | Top Celtic Sites | Web Celt Blog | Video Celt