Bookmark and Share
gaberlunzie 
Posted: 14-Feb-2004, 03:44 PM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian

Group: Celtic Nation
ZodiacVine

female

It's annoying in a certain way, I'm with you, celtica - personnally I hate to wait sooo long although I know that it takes 2-3 years to complete a book like DG's from the "Outlander" series...
You read the second part of the "Fiery Cross"??? I'm a bit confused, is there already a series out where you live?

CelticRose, which new book did you buy as you mentioned in "History Books!???

--------------------
"Now here's my secret", said the fox, "it is very simple. It is only with ones heart that one can see clearly. What is essential is invisible to the eye."

("The Little Prince" by Antoine de Saint-Exupery)

"The soul would have no rainbow, if the eye had no tears."
(Native American Proverb)
PMEmail PosterMy Photo Album               
DesertRose 
Posted: 14-Feb-2004, 03:46 PM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian

ZodiacAlder

Realm: The desert of Arizona

female

Celtica! I know what you mean. I have all 5 of Diana Gabaldon's books and bought them all at the same time so I was able to continue with the story. I am on the 5th book now, The Fiery Cross. She is coming out with the next one in the series the end of this year so I have kind of been taking my time reading this current book.

I get to meet the author in a couple of weeks. She is going to be the Highland games I am attending and a group of us hope to take her out to lunch too. We're still working on the details.

--------------------
Fine art & photography by DESERT ROSE IMAGES
http://www.desertrose-images.com
PMEmail PosterUsers WebsiteMy Photo Album               
DesertRose 
Posted: 14-Feb-2004, 03:50 PM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian

ZodiacAlder

female

Gaberlunzie! I was a bit confused too about the "second part to Fiery Cross" cause there is none. Not yet. That book is tentatively called "A Breath of Snow and Ashes" and won't be released by Diana G until around December of this year.

I bought a new romance novel yesterday called "Highlander Unbound" by Julia Brown. biggrin.gif
gaberlunzie 
Posted: 14-Feb-2004, 04:41 PM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian

ZodiacVine

female

QUOTE (CelticRose @ Feb 14 2004, 03:50 PM)
Gaberlunzie! I was a bit confused too about the "second part to Fiery Cross" cause there is none. Not yet. That book is tentatively called "A Breath of Snow and Ashes" and won't be released by Diana G until around December of this year.

I bought a new romance novel yesterday called "Highlander Unbound" by Julia Brown. biggrin.gif

Oh well...we have to wait...can we wait...we have to wait... unsure.gif

You have to tell me about your meeting with Diana Gabaldon ... I think everyone who's interested in her and who read her homepage has a certain idea how she will be like. Personally I like her sense and kind of humor very much.
Have a lot of fun and joy and don't forget to tell us afterwards! smile.gif

The title of your new-bought book sounds promising!
PMEmail PosterMy Photo Album               
DesertRose 
Posted: 14-Feb-2004, 05:18 PM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian

ZodiacAlder

female

Yeah, I am hoping I can get a picture with her too! We'll just have to see.

Yeah, the new book does sound promising. Will be awhile before I get around to reading it though.
Aon_Daonna 
Posted: 14-Feb-2004, 06:30 PM
Quote Post

The Wolf Lady

ZodiacIvy

Realm: Fife, Scotland

female

I have to say, I rather liked the Jean M Auel books biggrin.gif
(*thinks she's naughty noo*) but over here they usually stand in the same shelf as fantasy books unsure.gif

--------------------
Moderator: The Playground (RPG)

Carpe Jugulum
Carved with a twisted smile
An epitaph for sorrow
Sethian - Epitaph

If anybody wants a costum signature, pm me!
PMEmail Poster               
celtica 
Posted: 16-Feb-2004, 02:41 PM
Quote Post

Lady of the mists
Group Icon

Group: Brittany
ZodiacOak

Realm: Brest - Brittany

female

I'm a bit confused too... unsure.gif
I guess it's because in France there is two books for "The fiery cross" : the first one is called "The fiery cross" and the second "The time of the dreams". I read both. A friend of mine who lives in Quebec said to me there is new book from DG there wich is called something like "Lord John Grey", have you ever read it ? It's not yet available here...

Think I'll have to wait again and again sad.gif

Please Celtic Rose tell us more about your meeting with DG dribble.gif !!!

--------------------
Que restera-t-il de notre sang mêlé au sel, sans trace dans les mémoires ? Une ultime navigation, trompeuse. Et des souvenirs, illuminés d'embruns. Mais condamnés au silence de la mer... Loïc Finaz.
user posted image
PMEmail PosterUsers Website               
DesertRose 
Posted: 16-Feb-2004, 04:41 PM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian

ZodiacAlder

female

Celtica! When Diana Gabaldon wrote Outlander (aka Crossstitch), she did absolutely no research whatsoever and she admits this. She was just writing a fictional novel. She did not want to be put into the "romance" genre, but got put in there. However, the publisher really liked Outlander and signed her on for more books to the series. That's when she went to Scotland and did her research. A little after the fact, but she just wrote the first novel for fun and from her heart. With the success of Outlander, she knew she had better get serious and do her homework. Four books later! Then she wrote Lord John Grey! He is a character out of the Outlander series. I have the book but have yet to read it cause I am still reading the 5th book, The Fiery Cross. I know nothing about this other book you have mentioned, The Time of Dreams. I will have to check into that one! I know that The Fiery Cross was so big of a novel that the publisher made her cut it short and write another book, which will be released the end of this year called "A Breath of Snow and Ashes."

I am going to the Highland games in two weeks in which Diana G will be there with author, Ian Rankin from Edinburgh, and they both will be doing book signings. We, the Arizona chapter of ladies of Lallybroch, hope to take her and Ian Rankin out to lunch, but nothing has been confirmed yet and may not even be possible. Oh well. I will still get to meet her and have her sign my books regardless.

Will keep you all posted! thumbs_up.gif
Catriona 
Posted: 16-Feb-2004, 06:12 PM
Quote Post

Banned Member

ZodiacBirch

As you know, CR - I'm not at all keen on DG books..... but ..... Ian Rankin? Now, you're talking!

I love his books - they are so true to life - when you read them, you could almost be walking round the city of Edinburgh.... I even drink in some of the same pubs as his characters!

Sorrry - promise I won't interrupt this thread again! cool.gif
PMEmail Poster               
Aon_Daonna 
Posted: 16-Feb-2004, 06:34 PM
Quote Post

The Wolf Lady

ZodiacIvy

female

Ian Rankin! Now you got my attention! forget DG! biggrin.gif get me an autograph of that man!
PMEmail Poster               
Aon_Daonna 
Posted: 16-Feb-2004, 06:35 PM
Quote Post

The Wolf Lady

ZodiacIvy

female

hehe Cat.. great minds think alike eh? biggrin.gif
PMEmail Poster               
Catriona 
Posted: 16-Feb-2004, 06:38 PM
Quote Post

Banned Member

ZodiacBirch

AD
I've got his autograph in 5 or 6 of his books! My husband has made a point of queuing up at book signings - he even queued up at Menzies in Waverley Station!

I have also seen IR in his fave bar.... the Oxford Bar.... so, if you're star-struck, huckle Craig ootra door, and intae the Oxy..... biggrin.gif
PMEmail Poster               
Aon_Daonna 
Posted: 16-Feb-2004, 07:06 PM
Quote Post

The Wolf Lady

ZodiacIvy

female

hehe I'm not star struck.. usually they can stumble over me (or I over them for that matter) and I won't even recognise them. But I like having dedications or autographs in my books. I have a few of my favourite writers (apart from the long dead ones) and alot of dedications from German authors especially Walter Moers (who is a GENIUS! in my eyes) and I've been to so many of his readings he started recognising me after a while asking why I was always hanging about on his readings. We got talking and he sent me a signed and dedicated copy of "die 13 1/2 Leben des Käpt'n Blaubär" (the thirteen and a half lives of captain bluebear, I think it was translated and published over here) which is my absolute favourite of his books.
PMEmail Poster               
DesertRose 
Posted: 17-Feb-2004, 11:52 PM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian

ZodiacAlder

female

QUOTE (Catriona @ Feb 16 2004, 06:12 PM)
Sorrry - promise I won't interrupt this thread again! cool.gif

Cat you are too funny! wink.gif biggrin.gif

Anyway, you know about Ian Rankin? Should have known! Wow! Now which book of his should I start out with? Someone else from Scotland just told me about him and so I was thinking maybe I should get one of his books to start off with.

Aon, are you serious? Do you want me to get an autographed book of his for you? I'd be happy to. Just let me know which book you want. thumbs_up.gif
Catriona 
Posted: 18-Feb-2004, 04:20 AM
Quote Post

Banned Member

ZodiacBirch

CR
That is sweet of you, but I'm only joking!!! I've got all his books! I only really like his Inspector Rebus series, though.... He has written a few 'spy' genre books, but I didn't enjoy the two I started to read (and have to admit, never finished!)
Have a look at the Scottish Fiction thread on the Scotland Forum.... I've listed a few Scots authors there - but he's far and away my favourite. biggrin.gif

He has a very dry, laconic humour which I think is typically Scots cool.gif The landlord of the Oxford Bar is immortalised in Rankin's books by sharing the same name as the pathologist in his novels!

I put the URL for the Oxford Bar in a thread on Scottish restaurants and pubs (which I've now 'pinned' in the Scotland forum) - go and have a look .... it's a real working man's pub - but is popular with lots of people. The food, however, leaves a lot to be desired... I think 'basic' covers it!
PMEmail Poster               
0 User(s) are reading this topic (0 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll

Celtic RadioTM broadcasts through Live365.com and StreamLicensing.com which are officially licensed under SoundExchange, ASCAP, BMI, SESAC and SOCAN.
©2014 Celtic Radio Network, Highlander Radio, Celtic Moon, Celtic Dance, Ye O' Celtic Pub and Celt-Rock-Radio.
All rights and trademarks reserved. Read our Privacy Policy.
Celtic Graphics ©2014, Cari Buziak

Link to CelticRadio.net!
Link to CelticRadio.net
View Broadcast Status and Statistics!

Best Viewed With IE 8.0 (1680 x 1050 Resolution), Javascript & Cookies Enabled.

[Home] [Top]

Celtic Hearts Gallery | Celtic Mates Dating | My Celtic Friends | Celtic Music Radio | Family Heraldry | Medival Kingdom | Top Celtic Sites | Web Celt Blog | Video Celt