Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )
   Mobile App

Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll

> Surnames, Does it really reveal your heritage?
Bookmark and Share
AShruleEgan 
Posted: 04-Jul-2004, 12:03 AM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian
Group Icon

Group: Ireland
ZodiacRowan

Realm: Winston-Salem, North Carolina

male

QUOTE (ladymagikwolf @ 03-Jul-2004, 11:23 AM)
again thank you very much i will be sure to check out anything i find on the one...i am really glad my husband found this site you guys seem really nice and actually do discuss stuff.....plus theres many interesting things here..

Blessed Be Dottie

Dottie, go to the last post on this thread and it gives a list of sites that may help you find what you need to know. http://www.celticradio.net/php/forums/inde...?showtopic=2524 .

Also, it will be time consuming but try to read through all the genealogy threads that we have posted. You can pick up some good tips on doing your research and that may save you a lot of time and headaches. Those who have been posting on this thread, know what you are going through right now. If you get stuck, ask a question and someone may be able to steer you in the right direction.

Happy hunting!!
PMEmail Poster               
Annabelle 
Posted: 12-Jul-2004, 09:26 AM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian
Group Icon

Group: Scotland
ZodiacElder

Realm: Outer Space

It would be helpful to others if you have a clan site here to list the surnames under each clan. Just a suggestion.

A

--------------------
My heart will always be in the Highlands!

www.highlanderhouse.com
PMEmail Poster               
Gordon 
Posted: 12-Jul-2004, 04:05 PM
Quote Post

Chieftain of the Clan

Group: Celtic Nation
ZodiacWillow

Realm: Texas

male

Surnames really don't reveal much in the way of ancestry. Such holds especially true for an immigrant to the United States back when Ellis Island was a primary stop before taking the oath of citizenship, etc. Back then, if the registering person had trouble with an immigrants name, such as spelling, they tended to shorten it for the paperwork and from that time forward, the immigrant went by the new surname. I'm sure nowadays that has changed but, it has had an effect already and the way the world is today being more accessible for moving from one country to another, etc., it has created surnames which in time will be able to be considered of other nationalities once those surnames are carried for many generations in that country. Ack, I'm even confusing myself now. laugh.gif

--------------------
Lay you down in green meadows amongst the heather for it is there the music calls to your soul and beckons you home.
PMEmail Poster               
Kamchak 
Posted: 12-Jul-2004, 10:07 PM
Quote Post

Master At Arms
Group Icon

ZodiacHazel

Realm: Southern U.S.

male

I found the site that Gordon sent me, to be very helpful in my case, perhaps it will help others! http://www.tartans.com/

--------------------
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ![SIZE=7][COLOR=green][CENTER]
PMEmail Poster               
DesertRose 
Posted: 13-Jul-2004, 06:08 PM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian

ZodiacAlder

Realm: The desert of Arizona

female

QUOTE (Gordon @ 12-Jul-2004, 04:05 PM)
Surnames really don't reveal much in the way of ancestry. Such holds especially true for an immigrant to the United States back when Ellis Island was a primary stop before taking the oath of citizenship, etc. Back then, if the registering person had trouble with an immigrants name, such as spelling, they tended to shorten it for the paperwork and from that time forward, the immigrant went by the new surname. I'm sure nowadays that has changed but, it has had an effect already and the way the world is today being more accessible for moving from one country to another, etc., it has created surnames which in time will be able to be considered of other nationalities once those surnames are carried for many generations in that country. Ack, I'm even confusing myself now. laugh.gif

Gordon! Thank you very much for mentioning this. I came across this with my Italian side of the family. They had a very long Italian surname when they came over to Ellis Island back in the 20th century even. Well their name got shortened. I just wonder how accurate all the surnames of my ancestors who came over from Great Britian are? That has been my concern in my research.

--------------------
Fine art & photography by DESERT ROSE IMAGES
http://www.desertrose-images.com
PMEmail PosterUsers WebsiteMy Photo Album               
Gordon 
Posted: 13-Jul-2004, 08:33 PM
Quote Post

Chieftain of the Clan

ZodiacWillow

Realm: Texas

male

QUOTE (CelticRose @ 13-Jul-2004, 06:08 PM)
Gordon! Thank you very much for mentioning this. I came across this with my Italian side of the family. They had a very long Italian surname when they came over to Ellis Island back in the 20th century even. Well their name got shortened. I just wonder how accurate all the surnames of my ancestors who came over from Great Britian are? That has been my concern in my research.

Celticrose,
No thanks needed. I felt it was something worth pointing out in hopes that it may help those in the U.S., or even abroad for that matter, when they hit roadblocks. I know that I almost ended my search a few times when I hit this type of roadblock. It takes more patience to investigate it but, is well worth the extra effort since it may opens lines that beforehand seemed to be unrelated.
PMEmail Poster               
DesertRose 
Posted: 14-Jul-2004, 02:47 PM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian

ZodiacAlder

Realm: The desert of Arizona

female

Thanks again, Gordon! That really helps me to be more aggressive in my search.
PMEmail PosterUsers WebsiteMy Photo Album               
Ciarda Lili 
Posted: 15-Jul-2004, 12:49 PM
Quote Post

Child of the Dark Lily
Group Icon

ZodiacRowan

Realm: NorthEastern Pennsylvania, US

female

My maternal grandmother has researched my grandfather's ancestory back to a Sir Francis Brooke from Wales. He came over on a ship right after the Mayflower hit in Plymouth.

Any further back then that would of course require a trip to England to one of the libraries where the birth, death and marriages records are kept for knights.

I know when my children finally graduate from high school I will be traveling to several different locations for research purposes.

--------------------
Ciarda Lili

Always live for today.

Growing old is mandatory -- Growing up is optional.
PMEmail Poster               
Aragorn 
Posted: 15-Jul-2004, 02:10 PM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian

ZodiacIvy

Realm: Middle Earth

male

I would be pretty interested in finding out more about my ancestry, On my father's side of the family we have a Code of Arms and on my mother's side of the family we have a castle in the black forest in Germany. So, it sounds like we have a very colorful history. I need to learn more.

--------------------
What lies behind us and what lies before us are small matters compared to what lies within us.
--Ralph Waldo Emerson

Don't judge each day by the harvest you reap, but by the seeds you plant.
--Robert Louis Stevenson
PMEmail Poster               
Lyra Luminara 
Posted: 18-Jul-2004, 08:35 PM
Quote Post

Braveheart Member

ZodiacVine

Realm: Éire (okay fine, it's really PA, USA but that's just boring.)

female

Oooo a castle. You must be of nobel blood. haha. but foreal though that's really awesome I wish I could find out some cool stuff but I've yet again given up on my searches

--------------------
If we could just stand here, without the words, would that be enough? ..Look at the sky now. What color is it? Or the way a hawk flies. Or you wake up and your ribs are bruised thinking so hard on somebody. What do you call that?

"Don't cross the street if you can't get out of the kitchen"
PMEmail PosterUsers Website               
Kamchak 
Posted: 18-Jul-2004, 11:00 PM
Quote Post

Master At Arms
Group Icon

ZodiacHazel

Realm: Southern U.S.

male

Never give up or give in!
PMEmail Poster               
celticwoodsman 
Posted: 14-Sep-2004, 10:57 AM
Quote Post

Honored Clan Member

ZodiacWillow

Realm: NY, USA

male

So with the surname Brady, it is an Irish surname, but at the same time members of my family are members of McDonald of the Isles, so I know that means that I am celtic for lack of better words....but if a person asks if I am Scottish or Irish, I usually said with a smile "both" I guess with all this information I am right

--------------------
You will not go hungry until I starve, you shall not go thirsty as I have drink, you shall have my bed and be warm, you shall sit on my right as we feast in the great halls of our ancestors, and for when we die, and go to the great battle of valhalla....we shall stand together and fight ....at the end we shall look upon each other strewn with the blood of OUR enemies, and then....I shall call you FRIEND
PMEmail Poster                
Balachasen 
Posted: 02-Oct-2004, 10:45 AM
Quote Post

Peasant

ZodiacBirch

male

Maideann mhath,

Baring in mind we all have about a million ancestors if we go back 25 generations,
I think researching genealogy is important to get a picture of your recent ancestors, and the bulk of your ancestors.....
the funny thing is that your great-great grandmother could have been Japanese for all you know, yet by the time intermarriage has occured over 5 or so generations, her characteristics will likely be consumed by your recent ancestors.....
Instinct is always a useful rule of thumb when dealing with ancestry - it can lead you better than conventional genealogy at times.

Slainte mhath,
Mar sin leibh an drasda

Balachasen
PMEmail Poster               
Anharyd 
Posted: 11-Oct-2004, 04:08 PM
Quote Post

Peasant

ZodiacHolly

female

To almost everyone coming to America, it was The Land Of Beginning Again. For many this meant a total new persona, as perhaps they were wanted in the old country, were "transported" as criminals, sometimes into the "white slavery" of indentured servants (especially in the South). As a result, many changed their names entirely, many names were changed for them by immigration officials who heard and spelled them phonetically. My friend's father for instance was Philip Hadjipopoulous. The immigration officer said " Haji wha?? " Then stated," From now on your Philips -Phil Philips". And so it has been . I don't know if there are any Greeks legitimately named Philips, but that has been their surname ever since. My grandmother's family name was Younger (later changed to Young), but she is mostly Mic Mac Indian (Algonquian Nation) and her husband was a Scot from Clyde. My father's name was Brown in England, but was origionally Braun in Germany. But those Brauns were origially from Denmark! And who knows but what they came from elsewhere before that? And who knows where the Algonquian Indians came from. Indian tribes can be so different across the nation that I think their ancestors probably cam from several different places, just as we Americans since the 1500s do. The only way I know of to be sure what nationality or racial makeup you are is to have a modern blood test done. With today's breakdowns of DNA, they can tell pretty much exactly what your heritage is. For instance, they know that the Apache Indians are related to the Athapascans of Canada and Alaska, while the Navaho are related to the Indians of Peru! Me? I'm just another of your average American Mutts... Scottish, Englaish Irish, Danish, French and Mic Mac Indian. Vive la Differance! thumbs_up.gif
PMEmail Poster               
Anharyd 
Posted: 11-Oct-2004, 04:19 PM
Quote Post

Peasant

ZodiacHolly

female

For those researching United Kingdom Ancestry (Ireland, Scotland, Britain, Welsh). which often leads back to German, Scandinavian , Russian, etc., a wonderful web site is Genes Reunited. com. Try it free, then if you like it, it's only about $14.00 a YEAR. unlike ripsoffs such as Ancestry. Com. I enjoy it thouroughly and have learned much from it, though I still cannot find my grandfather William MacLachlan, born in Paisley in about 1870. Who knows! Maybe he was hiding out and changed his name. Black sheep perhaps??
PMEmail Poster               
0 User(s) are reading this topic (0 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll

Celtic RadioTM broadcasts through Live365.com and StreamLicensing.com which are officially licensed under SoundExchange, ASCAP, BMI, SESAC and SOCAN.
©2014 Celtic Radio Network, Highlander Radio, Celtic Moon, Celtic Dance, Ye O' Celtic Pub and Celt-Rock-Radio.
All rights and trademarks reserved. Read our Privacy Policy.
Celtic Graphics ©2014, Cari Buziak

Link to CelticRadio.net!
Link to CelticRadio.net
View Broadcast Status and Statistics!

Best Viewed With IE 8.0 (1680 x 1050 Resolution), Javascript & Cookies Enabled.

[Home] [Top]

Celtic Hearts Gallery | Celtic Mates Dating | My Celtic Friends | Celtic Music Radio | Family Heraldry | Medival Kingdom | Top Celtic Sites | Web Celt Blog | Video Celt