Bookmark and Share
Mailagnas maqqas Dunaidonas 
Posted: 10-Dec-2003, 09:40 PM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian

Group: Celtic Nation
ZodiacOak

male

QUOTE (maggiemahone1 @ Dec 10 2003, 08:54 PM)
So I can do whatever in this life and have a relative from the Mormon church pray that I go to heaven after I die. Is that what it amounts to? Someone tell me if I'm wrong.

You have it right. I've been rather amazed at some of the folks I've seem in the Mormon records who have been "sealed." to their descendants.

--------------------
Síochán leat,
Mailagnas
Clan Donald USA
PMEmail Poster               
AShruleEgan 
Posted: 10-Dec-2003, 09:44 PM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian
Group Icon

Group: Ireland
ZodiacRowan

Realm: Winston-Salem, North Carolina

male

CelticRose, I have had the most success on Ancestry.com (rootsweb.com is the same thing, just labeled different) but I use http://www.cousinconnect.com/ and http://clanegan.org/ (just because I'm an Egan), plus Shrule.com because that is where my relatives are from. I try to cover every possibility available. I have received information through every one of these pages, simply because I posted on the pages and let everyone know what I was looking for.
I understand the frustration of not finding anything but someday, someone will contact you that has some kind of connection or little tidbit of info that you are looking for.
I have read various postings and said to myself, that sounds familiar and sure enough, two people are looking for the same thing and I have put them in touch with each other. They just never took the time to read each others postings. So, do yourself a favor, read EVERYTHING, it just may have what your looking for.
Go on your search and type the name of the person you are looking for, in quotes, such as "CelticRose". Then go through the list. You should be able to pick out rather easy, wheather it has to do with a genealogy listing, a public record, a passenger list or a high school student personal page. It's time consuming but it works. I use my imagination and try everything that I can think of that may get me info.
Since you have seen my family tree, it proves persistence pays off. It has taken about 5 years to get to were we are now. And we will keep looking for more. I still have to many holes to fill.
PMEmail Poster               
DesertRose 
Posted: 10-Dec-2003, 10:08 PM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian

ZodiacAlder

Realm: The desert of Arizona

female

QUOTE (maggiemahone1 @ Dec 10 2003, 08:54 PM)
So I can do whatever in this life and have a relative from the Mormon church pray that I go to heaven after I die. Is that what it amounts to? Someone tell me if I'm wrong.

maggiemahone1

Maggie, I hope this article will help explain it to you.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/religion/religions/mo...tismdead.shtmle

I wish I knew how to post a site or article on something without having to type out the whole URL so they can just click directly on that. Can anybody tell me how to do this? Thanks! smile.gif

--------------------
Fine art & photography by DESERT ROSE IMAGES
http://www.desertrose-images.com
PMEmail PosterUsers WebsiteMy Photo Album               
DesertRose 
Posted: 10-Dec-2003, 10:22 PM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian

ZodiacAlder

female

Well boo hoo! That URL didn't work when I clicked on it and tried to bring it up. Then when I typed in http://www.bbc.co.uk you would have to do a search for Mormon proxy baptism. but I liked it cause it was short and to the point. Sorry, I will keep looking for you Maggie. Although Mailagnus answered your question already, I just thought you might to look at something in writing as well. smile.gif

Shrule! I am doing most of my search on ancestry and rootsweb too. I added the cousinnet.com you gave me. I will try that too. I will do what you suggest and post messages on the message board. I have done that once and that was how I got a hold of one distant cousin. I also need to get the Family tree software but am hoping I get that for Christmas. wink.gif I want to have it all outlined like you have yours. Thanks for the tips! smile.gif

DesertRose 
Posted: 10-Dec-2003, 10:35 PM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian

ZodiacAlder

female

Maggie I am going to try this again and see if it works. unsure.gif

[URL=http://www.bbc.co.uk/religion/religions/mormon/customs/baptismdead.shtml]Mormon proxy baptism[URL]
DesertRose 
Posted: 10-Dec-2003, 10:37 PM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian

ZodiacAlder

female

I give up. I know there is a way but I can't figure out how to do it! sad.gif
AShruleEgan 
Posted: 10-Dec-2003, 11:15 PM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian
Group Icon

ZodiacRowan

Realm: Winston-Salem, North Carolina

male

Right click on the URL, then click on copy in the window that opens up. Take your cursor to the point were you want the URL to be copied to, left click to get your position and then right click and then click on paste in the window that opens. That should work for you.
PMEmail Poster               
DesertRose 
Posted: 11-Dec-2003, 06:39 PM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian

ZodiacAlder

female

http://www.bbc.co.uk/religion/religions/mo...ptismdead.shtml

Okay, I tried this again! Hope it works. Thanks Egan! I am computer dummy here!

I also checked out the cousinnet site last night. Very cool! Thanks! thumbs_up.gif
maggiemahone1 
Posted: 11-Dec-2003, 07:35 PM
Quote Post

High Queen of Ireland

ZodiacIvy

Realm: Southern West Virginia

female

Oh MY gosh! Thanks Mailagnus, CelticRose and Shrule. Now I understand why the LDS church has the largest genealogy records.

When you start searching your family roots you may find things hidden in the closet! unsure.gif When my husband was doing his Mother's side of the family tree, he was asking her questions and she informed him, "it's not any of your business." That didn't stop him, later we found out why she was so opposed to him searching for any family info. My hubby found out he had an aunt he didn't know about. biggrin.gif

Happy hunting!

maggiemahone1
PMEmail PosterUsers Website                View My Space Profile.
DesertRose 
Posted: 11-Dec-2003, 08:25 PM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian

ZodiacAlder

female

Yeah, I am already finding conflicting stories in my family history. One source says that My great.....grandfather converted Pocahontas to Christianity and baptized her and married her to John Smith or JOhn Rolfe. Another source says that's not true at all! unsure.gif laugh.gif
JaneyMae 
Posted: 12-Dec-2003, 09:47 AM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian

ZodiacAsh

Realm: Idaho, USA

female

QUOTE (maggiemahone1 @ Dec 11 2003, 06:35 PM)
Oh MY gosh!  Thanks Mailagnus, CelticRose and Shrule.  Now I understand why the LDS church has the largest genealogy records. 

Happy hunting!

maggiemahone1

The LDS church has been know to purchase names of the deceased from other faiths. They also offer to put their birth etc. record on film and get names that way. They then baptize kids for the dead adding all names to the list. One year after a family member dies who has been baptized, they to the baptisim for the dead thing and then all their family can be together on their planet for eternity, but only if they want. I come from a large mormon family. I'm the black sheep biggrin.gif

It does give them a great base for their geneology work. tongue.gif

--------------------
JaneyMae

Tangle Goblinwitch: She is only seen in the enchanted moment between sleep and waking

"Never miss a chance to shut up." Will Rogers

Leprechauns, castles, good luck and laughter.
Lullabies, dreams and love ever after.
A thousand welcomes when anyone comes...
That's the Irish for You!
PMEmail Poster               View My Space Profile.
Roisin-Teagan 
Posted: 12-Dec-2003, 01:22 PM
Quote Post

a ragamuffin of Eireann
Group Icon

ZodiacElder

Realm: South Louisiana

female

My hat is off to Macfive for getting this Genealogy Forum up and running. We really needed this resourse.
Rosemary, thank you for being the moderator---I know you'll do a great job! angel_not.gif

--------------------
Roisin-Teagan

"There, in that hand, on that shoulder under that chin---all of its lightness delicately balanced and its strings skillfully bowed---it becomes a voice."---Rich Mullins

"At 18, if you have oversized aspirations, the whole world sees you as a dreamer. At 40, you get the reputation for being a visionary." ---Rich Mullins

"God gives the gifts where He finds the vessel empty enough to receive them."---C.S. Lewis

Éire go Brách!
PMEmail Poster               
DesertRose 
Posted: 12-Dec-2003, 01:24 PM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian

ZodiacAlder

female

Thanks JaneyMae! It is good to hear from a Mormon, even though a "black sheep" as you say, who can tell us firsthand of the practice. wink.gif smile.gif
DesertRose 
Posted: 12-Dec-2003, 01:26 PM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian

ZodiacAlder

female

QUOTE (Roisin-Teagan @ Dec 12 2003, 01:22 PM)
My hat is off to Macfive for getting this Genealogy Forum up and running. We really needed this resourse.
Rosemary, thank you for being the moderator---I know you'll do a great job! angel_not.gif

Thanks Roisin. I appreciate Paul starting this forum too. However, me being the moderator? I am the dumb one here, but learning a lot from everybody who has participated. thumbs_up.gif
DesertRose 
Posted: 21-Dec-2003, 02:43 AM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian

ZodiacAlder

female

Hey! Just had to share! I was checking out the www.gencircles.com site and I was actually able to get some more information! I got as far back as 1675 where both my 8th grandfather was born in Yorkshire, England and my grandmother he married was born then too but in Ballyhaken, Ireland! So I have a wee bit of Irish blood too! Cool thumbs_up.gif
0 User(s) are reading this topic (0 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll

Celtic RadioTM broadcasts through Live365.com and StreamLicensing.com which are officially licensed under SoundExchange, ASCAP, BMI, SESAC and SOCAN.
©2014 Celtic Radio Network, Highlander Radio, Celtic Moon, Celtic Dance, Ye O' Celtic Pub and Celt-Rock-Radio.
All rights and trademarks reserved. Read our Privacy Policy.
Celtic Graphics ©2014, Cari Buziak

Link to CelticRadio.net!
Link to CelticRadio.net
View Broadcast Status and Statistics!

Best Viewed With IE 8.0 (1680 x 1050 Resolution), Javascript & Cookies Enabled.

[Home] [Top]

Celtic Hearts Gallery | Celtic Mates Dating | My Celtic Friends | Celtic Music Radio | Family Heraldry | Medival Kingdom | Top Celtic Sites | Web Celt Blog | Video Celt