DesertRose 
Posted: 03-Dec-2003, 03:14 PM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian

Group: Celtic Nation
ZodiacAlder

Realm: The desert of Arizona

female

Well, I am so excited because I spent the wee hours of the morning researching my mother's mother side of the family and found all kinds of stuff! I was able to trace my grandmother's side all the way back to 1701 to Grindleton, York, England! Now that I am in England, not sure where to go from here! unsure.gif

All my grandfathers married Scots women and one of them was even an indentured servant for a wealthy British family in North Carolina! Also discovered one grandfather who was in the Revolutionary war and two great uncles were killed fighting in the civil war on the confederate side! So this has been fun!

Thanks to the help of all of you! smile.gif

--------------------
Fine art & photography by DESERT ROSE IMAGES
http://www.desertrose-images.com
PMEmail PosterUsers WebsiteMy Photo Album               
Cailiosa 
Posted: 03-Dec-2003, 05:26 PM
Quote Post

Braveheart Member

ZodiacHolly

Realm: Western Kentucky

female

QUOTE (CelticRose @ Dec 3 2003, 03:14 PM)
Well, I am so excited because I spent the wee hours of the morning researching my mother's mother side of the family and found all kinds of stuff! I was able to trace my grandmother's side all the way back to 1701 to Grindleton, York, England! Now that I am in England, not sure where to go from here! unsure.gif

All my grandfathers married Scots women and one of them was even an indentured servant for a wealthy British family in North Carolina! Also discovered one grandfather who was in the Revolutionary war and two great uncles were killed fighting in the civil war on the confederate side! So this has been fun!

Thanks to the help of all of you! smile.gif

Congrats on your successes! biggrin.gif

--------------------
"For man He suffered and He died:
If man will take His word as guide
And leave all infamy,
Then we shall come to happiness
And blisses more than we can guess in Jesu's company."

Check out my journal
PMEmail Poster               
maggiemahone1 
Posted: 03-Dec-2003, 07:22 PM
Quote Post

High Queen of Ireland

ZodiacIvy

Realm: Southern West Virginia

female

CelticRose, I believe you have been bit by the "genealogy bug." Isn't it soooo exciting when you begin to find info on your ancestors! It's like finding a gold mine! biggrin.gif I was in Ashe Co. NC at the old courthouse when I found the original copy of my great grandparents marriage license. I was able to get a copy of it, and it was wonderful seeing the original document.

In one of your post you mentioned a great grandmother whose maiden name was Taylor. One of my ggrandmother's maiden name was Taylor and lived in Ashe County, NC. That is not too far from Buncombe Co. Who knows we may be distant kin. biggrin.gif

maggiemahone1
PMEmail PosterUsers Website                View My Space Profile.
Therasa 
Posted: 03-Dec-2003, 07:27 PM
Quote Post

Chieftain of the Clan

ZodiacOak

female

clap.gif YEAH!!!

That is great Rose! Isn't if fun actually finding what you're looking for? Goodluck on the continuing search.

Take care

--------------------
Therasa

Sweet kisses after death, are remembered
Sweet smiles after death, are recalled
Sweet voices after death, are silent
Sweet love after death, after all.

PMEmail Poster               
DesertRose 
Posted: 03-Dec-2003, 09:40 PM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian

ZodiacAlder

female

Hi Maggie and Therasa! I have been hit by the genealogy bug bad! The problem is is that I don't have a clue what I am doing! laugh.gif I just happened to run into all this stuff on rootsweb last night that one of my cousins had put together. So that was really exciting. But that was all on my grandmother's (Whitaker) side. The Sutton side I cannot find ANYTHING on the web about, not even in the LDS site, except for one of my uncles who died about 10 years ago! So that was frustrating! I know these people exhist because one of my cousins went as far as 1800 North Carolina,but she has one of the genealogy kits that you do on your computer, so the info is not on the web! I want to put it on there in hopes of finding others, but don't know how to do that too. I wonder if you find out more information by using the paid sites, than you do the free sites. And are they expensive?

Clueless! unsure.gif

Maggie, my great....grandmother was a S. Rhoda Taylor in North Carolina. They think in Buncombe county. Couldn't find her on that site though. Would be funny if we were kin! wink.gif smile.gif
Mailagnas maqqas Dunaidonas 
Posted: 03-Dec-2003, 10:27 PM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian

ZodiacOak

male

Way to go, Celtic Rose!
It appears that at least three of us have Taylor ancestors. Mine is Elizabeth Taylor, b. arount 1707. Unfortunately, the only thing I know about her is that she married Captain Peter Hog, who emigrated from Scotland to Virginia in the early 1700's.
It seems to me knowing who your ancestors were really brings history to life.
Good luck on your continuing research. (I know from personal experience how hard it is to stop looking once you get a few hits.)

--------------------
Síochán leat,
Mailagnas
Clan Donald USA
PMEmail Poster               
DesertRose 
Posted: 03-Dec-2003, 10:41 PM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian

ZodiacAlder

female

Well, Mailagnus! I love history so this is all very fascinating to me! I just wish I didn't wait so long to seriously try to do it. But I was doing other things in life when younger! rolleyes.gif

My grandmother, Rhoda Taylor, was born in the 1700s too! thumbs_up.gif
Annabelle 
Posted: 04-Dec-2003, 12:18 AM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian
Group Icon

Group: Scotland
ZodiacElder

Realm: Outer Space

When my dear friend who's in charge of the DAR chapter here in Ga started helping me get started in Geneology she said you always follow your father's family since that is the name you come down with.

But I really wanted a complete picture of my family so I explored every generation and it is sometimes too much to understand and gets confusing.

Good luck in your search...I love geneology cause it's like finding another piece of the puzzle...

Annabelle

--------------------
My heart will always be in the Highlands!

www.highlanderhouse.com
PMEmail Poster               
0 User(s) are reading this topic (0 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll

Celtic RadioTM broadcasts through Live365.com and StreamLicensing.com which are officially licensed under SoundExchange, ASCAP, BMI, SESAC and SOCAN.
©2014 Celtic Radio Network, Highlander Radio, Celtic Moon, Celtic Dance, Ye O' Celtic Pub and Celt-Rock-Radio.
All rights and trademarks reserved. Read our Privacy Policy.
Celtic Graphics ©2014, Cari Buziak

Link to CelticRadio.net!
Link to CelticRadio.net
View Broadcast Status and Statistics!

Best Viewed With IE 8.0 (1680 x 1050 Resolution), Javascript & Cookies Enabled.

[Home] [Top]

Celtic Hearts Gallery | Celtic Mates Dating | My Celtic Friends | Celtic Music Radio | Family Heraldry | Medival Kingdom | Top Celtic Sites | Web Celt Blog | Video Celt