Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )
   Mobile App

Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll

> Fear Of The Blank Page - Writer's Block, Etc., anyone got stories to share?
Bookmark and Share
Aaediwen 
Posted: 06-Jan-2004, 12:28 AM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian
Group Icon

Group: Super Moderator
ZodiacHolly

Realm: Kentucky

male

Working on my story =) revise, revise, revise

--------------------
Poet and seeker of knowledge

Mountain Legacy -- Born in the isles, raised in Appalachia
PMEmail Poster My Photo Album               View My Space Profile.
Annabelle 
Posted: 06-Jan-2004, 12:34 AM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian
Group Icon

Group: Scotland
ZodiacElder

Realm: Outer Space

For me writer's block and starting a new piece is just like when I begin painting an art piece. That white canvas is over whelming. I have the hardest time making that first stroke. I've actually worked myself up and made myself tense before the first stroke is placed on the canvas. After I get started everything comes together and I focus on blending and shading but the first stroke is emotional. Anyone like this too? I hope I'm not the only one.

A

--------------------
My heart will always be in the Highlands!

www.highlanderhouse.com
PMEmail Poster               
Aaediwen 
Posted: 06-Jan-2004, 12:52 AM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian
Group Icon

Group: Super Moderator
ZodiacHolly

Realm: Kentucky

male

a blank page is just plenty of room to write when I'm starting out =)
PMEmail Poster My Photo Album               View My Space Profile.
DesertRose 
Posted: 06-Jan-2004, 01:03 AM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian

Group: Celtic Nation
ZodiacAlder

Realm: The desert of Arizona

female

QUOTE (Elspeth @ Jan 5 2004, 10:25 PM)
OK, Christmas is over as is New Years. Who's started back to creating?

I have to confess, I have not. But I have been having some vivid dreams which is a good precurser to writing. And I am determined to attack the busniess side of it all with a vengence. I want to get something published in 2004.

Well, I kind of been working a little portrait....not much! didn't get anything done today as I was fighting with this computer!

Elspeth, I have been in the world of marketing and if I can try to help you in anyway, I would be glad to. That to me was the toughest part of the creative journey was the marketing. But you gotta do it if you want to be published and recognized for your work! Keep us posted!

--------------------
Fine art & photography by DESERT ROSE IMAGES
http://www.desertrose-images.com
PMEmail PosterUsers WebsiteMy Photo Album               
DesertRose 
Posted: 06-Jan-2004, 01:06 AM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian

ZodiacAlder

female

QUOTE (Annabelle @ Jan 6 2004, 12:34 AM)
For me writer's block and starting a new piece is just like when I begin painting an art piece. That white canvas is over whelming. I have the hardest time making that first stroke. I've actually worked myself up and made myself tense before the first stroke is placed on the canvas. After I get started everything comes together and I focus on blending and shading but the first stroke is emotional. Anyone like this too? I hope I'm not the only one.

A

oh Annabelle! I can relate to you totally! To me there is nothing worse than that blank canvas and the beginning of a painting with all the shading! Once I get beyond that, I am unstopable! LOL
Elspeth 
Posted: 06-Jan-2004, 09:08 AM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian

ZodiacReed

female

QUOTE (CelticRose @ Jan 6 2004, 01:03 AM)

Elspeth, I have been in the world of marketing and if I can try to help you in anyway, I would be glad to. That to me was the toughest part of the creative journey was the marketing. But you gotta do it if you want to be published and recognized for your work! Keep us posted!

Thanks Rose smile.gif

I just may call upon you some day. Right now I need to focus on getting myself an agent. From all I've read, that's the way to go. And that means the dreaded query letter. Making a 600 page novel irresistable in two paragraphs. I hate query letters. sad.gif

But, it is what must be done. Hopefully by Thursay or Friday I will have my other committments tamed enough to get started.

So, who is the portrait of?

--------------------
Compassion is the sometimes fatal capacity for feeling what it is like inside somebody else's skin. It is the knowledge that there can never really be any peace and joy for me until there is peace and joy finally for you too.
- Frederick Buechner

If society prospers at the expense of the intangibles,
how can it be called progress?

-LLP
PMEmail Poster My Photo Album               
RavenWing 
Posted: 06-Jan-2004, 11:38 AM
Quote Post

Dorkus Trollus Maximus

ZodiacHazel

Realm: Indiana, USA

female

I have found a little inspiration. We just moved about a month ago, and the walls are completely bare. I am going to have to do something (as well as my hubby who is an artist as well) to fill up the blank walls. Yay!

--------------------
May all your up's and down's be under the sheets!

Religion is for those who are afraid of going to Hell. Spirituality is for those who have already been there.
- Anonymous
PMEmail Poster               
barddas 
Posted: 06-Jan-2004, 11:47 AM
Quote Post

Offical sacrifice to the guitar gods-Play til you bleed

ZodiacWillow

Realm: second star to the right, straight until morning

male

I started on something last night about midnight. Right now it's just some random chord progressions, and thoughts. No words yet. But, I might be able to incorperate my Bflat whistle for the melody line.... I hope unsure.gif

I need to get my mini tape recorder some new tapes so I can record randon ideas that run through my head while I'm out and about....

--------------------
BARDDAS BLOG/WEB SITE

Co Founder/Member of the KDC

Music is holy, art is sacred, and creativity is power

Everyday is EARTH DAY to a farmer

"Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much."
Oscar Wilde

Some men are drawn to oceans, they cannot breathe unless the air is scented with a salty mist. Others are drawn to land that is flat, and the air is sullen and is leaden as August. My people were drawn to mountains- Earl Hamner Jr.

PMEmail Poster                
oldraven 
Posted: 06-Jan-2004, 11:57 AM
Quote Post

The Protector of the Unknown
Group Icon

Group: Scotland
ZodiacHazel

Realm: Guysborough Co., Nova Scotia

male

I wrote an article for my newsletter last night. biggrin.gif First thing I've written since I got sacked back in June. With everyone harrasing me for more articles, I guess I just needed the Detroit Auto Show to get me going again.

king.gif

--------------------
Caw

"I am a Canadian by birth, but I am a Highlander by blood and feel under an obligation to do all I can for the sake of the Highlanders and their literature.... I have never yet spoken a word of English to any of my children. They can speak as much English as they like to others, but when they talk to me they have to talk in Gaelic."

-Alexander Maclean Sinclair of Goshen (protector of Gaelic Culture)

We need more Stan Rogers.

jams
PMEmail PosterUsers Website               
Siobhan Blues 
Posted: 06-Jan-2004, 02:12 PM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian

ZodiacOak

Realm: Pursuing happiness at 'The Shire' in western Georgia where hummingbirds buzz & horses graze

female

QUOTE (Annabelle @ Jan 6 2004, 12:34 AM)
That white canvas is over whelming. I have the hardest time making that first stroke. I've actually worked myself up and made myself tense before the first stroke is placed on the canvas.

Me too!! That's why when I started working with soft pastels, I began using tinted paper - not a bit of white to be seen, and the color of the paper seems like its almost started the drawing for me. A mid-tone gives you a jump-start, so you can have fun deciding what highs and lows you need!

--------------------
"All that is gold does not glitter, Not all those who wander are lost;
The old that is strong does not wither, Deep roots are not reached by the frost.
From the ashes a fire shall be woken, A light from the shadows shall spring;
Renewed shall be blade that was broken, The crownless again shall be king..."
user posted image

SGGardner Art

www.SouthernShireFarm.com
PMEmail PosterUsers Website               View My Space Profile.
DesertRose 
Posted: 09-Jan-2004, 01:32 AM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian

ZodiacAlder

female

QUOTE (Elspeth @ Jan 6 2004, 09:08 AM)
Thanks Rose smile.gif

I just may call upon you some day. Right now I need to focus on getting myself an agent. From all I've read, that's the way to go. And that means the dreaded query letter. Making a 600 page novel irresistable in two paragraphs. I hate query letters. sad.gif

But, it is what must be done. Hopefully by Thursay or Friday I will have my other committments tamed enough to get started.

So, who is the portrait of?

Elspeth! That's what my author sister-in-law says is the first thing is to get an agent. And they care of the marketing part as well. I did everything myself and it was hard work!

Siobhan Blues 
Posted: 19-Jan-2004, 12:49 PM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian

ZodiacOak

Realm: Pursuing happiness at 'The Shire' in western Georgia where hummingbirds buzz & horses graze

female

For all you writers, may I ask a question?

No, wait - I am going to start a new thread about this. What I'm wondering is, if I wanted to get into publishing anything I wrote, how would you suggest that I start. I have an area on my web page that addresses the kinds of things I'm writing about...

I'll call the new topic 'Where to Start: Getting Published' and I'll look for all ya'll there!
PMEmail PosterUsers Website               View My Space Profile.
gettin-away 
Posted: 19-Jan-2004, 02:29 PM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian

ZodiacOak

Realm: Flushing Michigan USA

male

OK where do I begin?

Hello all

I'm new to this forum, but maybe someone here could help me. I found this site while searching for an internet celtic station. Today while enjoying a day off from work, I was reading the the different threads here and.......

To begin with I am not a writer, but at the request of many people I have written about the last twenty-two years of my life. To give you an quick overview, in 1981 my daughter was born three months premature. My wife was diabetic and for the first several weeks they were both in ICU units in the hospital. My wife got stronger and came home, but it was a full three months before my daughter was able to join us. Just two and a half weeks later my wife died in her sleep. At twenty-one I became a single father of a premature child. Test were run and my daughter was diagnosed as having cerebral palsy and possible mental impairments. When she was three I was told she would never finish school. She started classes at a school for children with severe disabilities. She stayed here one year before I pulled her out and mainstreamed her in the public schools... Now fast forward to the fall of 1999. She is starting her senior year of high school and is in the top ten percent of her class academically. She is also crowned homecoming queen by her peers. The first time a girl with a disability is given this honor at her school. She is now in college and soon she will graduate as a special education teacher at the top of her college class.
I have written our story and I present it from my viewpoint as a father who is struggling himself. I have sent it of to several agents....some tell me it is an incredible story but, they don't handle this type of material, while others have told me there is great potential but it needs to be stronger. It's been suggested that I find someone who could pull it into a publishable story.

How do I find someone who can help me??? None of the agents I have talked with have been much help along these lines. I have been told to check around my area for someone nearby to help me. Where do I begin to look???? How do I begin to look?? What I have is a 63,000 word manuscript that needs to be tightened up and made a little stronger.

Does anyone have any suggestions or know of someone who could possible help me out?

Thanks
gettin-away

--------------------
Paradox...Dirty socks...Glacier Rocks...Goldilocks

user posted image
PMEmail PosterMy Photo Album               
Elspeth 
Posted: 19-Jan-2004, 02:47 PM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian

ZodiacReed

female

That is a very powerful story gettin-away. One that would make a very moving book.

I have some questions. Are you looking for a book doctor who will make it more publishable or a writer who will take your story and re-write it? Is it presented as a novel or non-fiction?

63,000 words is on the short side. Did any of the people you talked to mention making it longer?

I have written two novels. Two unpublished as of yet novels. And I have an aunt with Cerebral Palsy, however as she was born in 1938 her story is very different than your daughter's.

I would be willing to discuss this further if you wish. Just send me a PM. You can see an example of my writing style on page 3 of Celtic Hearts. The novel was my first attempt at writing. The short story - The Escape of Jane Beaty is a recent story.

If you'd like to go more locally, I suggest talking to the English Dept. at your local university. There may be someone on staff, or a student who would fit your need.

Good luck gettin-away, it is a story worth telling.

Elspeth
PMEmail Poster My Photo Album               
gettin-away 
Posted: 19-Jan-2004, 03:08 PM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian

ZodiacOak

Realm: Flushing Michigan USA

male

Elspeth

Thank you for your reply. I will be sending a PM with the answers to your questions.

gettin-away
PMEmail PosterMy Photo Album               
0 User(s) are reading this topic (0 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll

Celtic RadioTM broadcasts through Live365.com and StreamLicensing.com which are officially licensed under SoundExchange, ASCAP, BMI, SESAC and SOCAN.
2014 Celtic Radio Network, Highlander Radio, Celtic Moon, Celtic Dance, Ye O' Celtic Pub and Celt-Rock-Radio.
All rights and trademarks reserved. Read our Privacy Policy.
Celtic Graphics 2014, Cari Buziak

Link to CelticRadio.net!
Link to CelticRadio.net
View Broadcast Status and Statistics!

Best Viewed With IE 8.0 (1680 x 1050 Resolution), Javascript & Cookies Enabled.

[Home] [Top]

Celtic Hearts Gallery | Celtic Mates Dating | My Celtic Friends | Celtic Music Radio | Family Heraldry | Medival Kingdom | Top Celtic Sites | Web Celt Blog | Video Celt