Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )
   Mobile App

Forum Rules Enter at own risk!

The Philosophy, Science & Religion forum has been created as an unmoderated forum. The issues discussed here can and will get very intense. Please show respect and appreciation to alternative views posted here. We appreciate your consideration.

Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll

> Are We By Nature Good Or Evil?
Bookmark and Share
JaneyMae 
  Posted: 27-Dec-2003, 11:58 AM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian

Group: Celtic Nation
ZodiacAsh

Realm: Idaho, USA

female

QUOTE (maisky @ Dec 27 2003, 06:35 AM)
If I'm so wise, how come I'm not rich, so we can just go fishing? Ah Well, I must build more fortune in my life. smile.gif

Keep up the builing part, sire. While you are at it you need to win the lottery too. cool.gif Let's go fishing in style lol.gif

--------------------
JaneyMae

Tangle Goblinwitch: She is only seen in the enchanted moment between sleep and waking

"Never miss a chance to shut up." Will Rogers

Leprechauns, castles, good luck and laughter.
Lullabies, dreams and love ever after.
A thousand welcomes when anyone comes...
That's the Irish for You!
PMEmail Poster               View My Space Profile.
Highlander 
Posted: 02-Jan-2004, 01:04 PM
Quote Post

Braveheart Member

ZodiacHazel

Realm: New York, USA

male

Just MHO:

Mankind is basically evil, that in my opinion is preposterous. In ancient history going back to the proverbial ?caveman? there was a tendency to congregate into groups, not only for survival but for companionship. This tendency throughout history grew and grew. It grew into Greece, Rome, Egypt, and from there, modern times and ?modern? civilizations.

So if mankind was of a truly evil nature would this have happened? If everyone was evil why would we wish to congregate into a single societal entity? Throughout history and time and time again there have been evil men and women that where alone or in small groups, but they where always the outcastes that society joined together to defeat.

If we are all evil, would we have wished to defeat these outcastes in order to remain safe and secure in our chosen environment? The laws of society today and in the past where instituted to protect us from evil, not from the good, so this ?theory? can only IMHO be classified as BUNK?

--------------------
Highlander, 2004

"Fortune favors the Daring"
Neither draw me without cause, nor return me without honour
Clan MacKinnon
PMEmail PosterUsers Website               
maisky 
Posted: 16-Jan-2004, 08:32 PM
Quote Post

King of CelticRadio.net Jesters
Group Icon

Group: Founder
ZodiacVine

Realm: Easton, PA

male

QUOTE (Highlander @ Jan 2 2004, 01:04 PM)
Just MHO:

Mankind is basically evil, that in my opinion is preposterous. In ancient history going back to the proverbial ?caveman? there was a tendency to congregate into groups, not only for survival but for companionship. This tendency throughout history grew and grew. It grew into Greece, Rome, Egypt, and from there, modern times and ?modern? civilizations.

So if mankind was of a truly evil nature would this have happened? If everyone was evil why would we wish to congregate into a single societal entity? Throughout history and time and time again there have been evil men and women that where alone or in small groups, but they where always the outcastes that society joined together to defeat.

If we are all evil, would we have wished to defeat these outcastes in order to remain safe and secure in our chosen environment? The laws of society today and in the past where instituted to protect us from evil, not from the good, so this ?theory? can only IMHO be classified as BUNK?

Good and evil exist together. This dichotomy is inevitable. What is important is that each of us deal with our own good and evil natures in such a way that we develop the good and resist the evil from within (at least most of the time biggrin.gif )
From a Buddhist perspective, each of us is a potentially an enlightened human being. king.gif The trick is to awaken the Buddha nature and keep the devilish functions at bay. thumbs_up.gif

--------------------
"If you want to make an apple pie from scratch, you must first create the universe."
Carl Sagan
skye 
Posted: 17-Jan-2004, 08:04 AM
Quote Post

Peasant

ZodiacWillow

Realm: Australia

female

Evil and Good is a must for balance in this world of ours. Many learn Evil is around in order to appreciate and or see what Good is.. If there were all good, then theres no example for us to better ourselves to become a better human being.. If we were all bad, well why even try to be good.
Just my humble 2 cents worth smile.gif

--------------------
"Those who walk in Love and Truth will grow in Honor and Strength"
PMEmail Poster               
Aon_Daonna 
Posted: 17-Jan-2004, 05:02 PM
Quote Post

The Wolf Lady

ZodiacIvy

Realm: Fife, Scotland

female

I am a supporter of the "tabula rasa" theory, the mind is blank, we are neither good nor evil at birth but our surroundings shape us.

--------------------
Moderator: The Playground (RPG)

Carpe Jugulum
Carved with a twisted smile
An epitaph for sorrow
Sethian - Epitaph

If anybody wants a costum signature, pm me!
PMEmail Poster               
kevsen 
Posted: 24-Jan-2004, 10:52 PM
Quote Post

Peasant

ZodiacHazel

Realm: USA

male

QUOTE (maryellen @ Oct 20 2003, 04:49 PM)
The title explains most of it: are humans by nature good or evil.  if we don't have laws that make us conduct ourselves nicely, then what would happen.  Or if religion never existed or found out to be a big sham, what would happen?

"Lord of the Flies" by William Golding suggests we are evil by nature.  Its a great book if you haven't read it.

I think Matthew 29:17 explains it:

And he[Jesus] said unto him[the rich, young ruler], Why callest thou me good?  there is none good but one, that is, God....

--------------------
"Come forth!" they cried. "Let the Lord of the Black Land come forth! Justice shall be done upon him. For wrongfully he has made war upon Gondor and wrested its lands. Therefore the King of Gondor demands that he should atone for his evils, and depart then for ever. Come forth!"
kevsen 
Posted: 24-Jan-2004, 11:04 PM
Quote Post

Peasant

ZodiacHazel

male

QUOTE (Derfel @ Nov 29 2003, 11:45 AM)
Even the bible is not the one and only truth.
Is a book, not more and less, written by a lot of men and
censored by a lot of men.
Think about it!

Sláinte!  beer_mug.gif

Derfel

John 17:17 Sanctify them through thy truth: thy word is truth.

Jesus seems to be disagreeing with you.
Aon_Daonna 
Posted: 25-Jan-2004, 11:33 AM
Quote Post

The Wolf Lady

ZodiacIvy

female

Jesus was disagreeing with alot of people, but it doesn't give him the absolute truth.. I think alot of religions would disagree with that. Muslims see Jesus as a great prophet, Jews as a Rabbi.
Don't you think the truth lies in the eye of the beholder?
PMEmail Poster               
Raven 
Posted: 26-Jan-2004, 12:37 PM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian

ZodiacHolly

Realm: Indianapolis, IN

male

What ever happened to Mary Ellen?

By the way...I personally am evil by nature unsure.gif

--------------------
He is no fool who gives up that which he can not keep to gain that which he cannot loose

www.arminta.net
PMEmail PosterUsers Website               View My Space Profile.
kevsen 
Posted: 26-Jan-2004, 12:41 PM
Quote Post

Peasant

ZodiacHazel

male

QUOTE (Aon_Daonna @ Jan 25 2004, 11:33 AM)
Jesus was disagreeing with alot of people, but it doesn't give him the absolute truth.. I think alot of religions would disagree with that. Muslims see Jesus as a great prophet, Jews as a Rabbi.
Don't you think the truth lies in the eye of the beholder?

No, I utterly reject that the "truth lies in the eyes of the Beholder."

Jesus said "I am the way, the truth, and the life; no man cometh unto the Father, but by me." (John 14:6)

There is absolute truth, and that truth is Christ. To say there is no absolute truth would mean that the Holocaust was not "wrong" in any important sense of the word.

Murder, lying, thievery, adultery, fornication, and the like are all wrong because they are in opposition to the laws that God has put into effect in this world.
andylucy 
Posted: 26-Jan-2004, 05:56 PM
Quote Post

High Chief Of The Dartboard
Group Icon

Group: Ireland
ZodiacOak

Realm: Western Kentucky

male

QUOTE (Raven @ Jan 26 2004, 11:37 AM)

I have been wondering that myself. I could usually count on her to watch my back during these religious discussions. biggrin.gif

Kevsen, I totally agree with you about relative truth and morality. There has to be an absolute or else, what's the bloody point? Everyone does whatever they please (including rape, murder and the like) because THEY see nothing wrong with it. I have used the term natural moral law here before, and most scoffed and told me that it didn't exist. But it does. Truth and morality doesn't rest with an individual's conscience; it comes from God.

Just my tuppence.

Andy

--------------------
Just my tuppence.

Andy

Never drink to excess; you might shoot at a tax collector and miss. - Robert A. Heinlein

Quis custodiet ipsos custodes.

TANSTAAFL

If a person doesn't believe in something, he'll soon believe in anything. - G. K. Chesterton

9-1-1: state sponsored Dial-A-Prayer
PMEmail Poster               
maisky 
Posted: 26-Jan-2004, 06:51 PM
Quote Post

King of CelticRadio.net Jesters
Group Icon

Group: Founder
ZodiacVine

Realm: Easton, PA

male

QUOTE (andylucy @ Jan 26 2004, 05:56 PM)

I have been wondering that myself. I could usually count on her to watch my back during these religious discussions. biggrin.gif

Kevsen, I totally agree with you about relative truth and morality. There has to be an absolute or else, what's the bloody point? Everyone does whatever they please (including rape, murder and the like) because THEY see nothing wrong with it. I have used the term natural moral law here before, and most scoffed and told me that it didn't exist. But it does. Truth and morality doesn't rest with an individual's conscience; it comes from God.

Just my tuppence.

Andy

Of couse there are other opinions about the source of good and evil. biggrin.gif
kevsen 
Posted: 26-Jan-2004, 11:34 PM
Quote Post

Peasant

ZodiacHazel

male

Just my tuppence.

Andy

Thanks for throwing in your tuppence andy, I appreciate it. thumbs_up.gif
kevsen 
Posted: 26-Jan-2004, 11:36 PM
Quote Post

Peasant

ZodiacHazel

male

QUOTE (maisky @ Jan 26 2004, 06:51 PM)

Just my tuppence.

Andy

Of couse there are other opinions about the source of good and evil. biggrin.gif

Well, that's true. Most everyone does have an opinion or two on this subject. biggrin.gif
Aon_Daonna 
Posted: 27-Jan-2004, 04:15 PM
Quote Post

The Wolf Lady

ZodiacIvy

female

somewhere Andy and I had a very interesting discussion on God/Jesus etc...
I leave ppl their oppinions as long as they don't try to preach me that they HAVE to be mine as well..
PMEmail Poster               
0 User(s) are reading this topic (0 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll

Celtic RadioTM broadcasts through Live365.com and StreamLicensing.com which are officially licensed under SoundExchange, ASCAP, BMI, SESAC and SOCAN.
©2014 Celtic Radio Network, Highlander Radio, Celtic Moon, Celtic Dance, Ye O' Celtic Pub and Celt-Rock-Radio.
All rights and trademarks reserved. Read our Privacy Policy.
Celtic Graphics ©2014, Cari Buziak

Link to CelticRadio.net!
Link to CelticRadio.net
View Broadcast Status and Statistics!

Best Viewed With IE 8.0 (1680 x 1050 Resolution), Javascript & Cookies Enabled.

[Home] [Top]

Celtic Hearts Gallery | Celtic Mates Dating | My Celtic Friends | Celtic Music Radio | Family Heraldry | Medival Kingdom | Top Celtic Sites | Web Celt Blog | Video Celt