Original Spooner Arms
The original Spooner arms, which bear a silver boar's head on blue background, were issued to Thomas Spooner of Henwood Hall, in the Parish of Solihull, Warwickshire, England. Although Henwood Hall is no longer there, Solihull still exists as a busy suburb of Birmingham. The arms were awarded to Thomas by Rob Cooke, Clarencoux, King of Arms on November 29 1589, the 32nd year of Queen Elizabeth's reign. They were confirmed at The Visitation of Warwickshire, 1682-1683 and recorded on page 148 of the Harleian Script that documents that trip by the heralds.
The Arms were amended in 1797. Abraham Spooner, Esquire, eldest surviving son of Isaac Spooner, changed his last name to Lillingston, became the Lillingston heir, and in the process altered the Spooner crest. This was done to protect the property of his wife, Elizabeth Mary Agnes Lillingston, the only child and heiress of Luke Lillingston and Willielma Joanna Dottin. The new Arms are a combination of Spooner and Lillingston, commonly reffered to as a marriage coat of Arms. The arms are described in A Genealogical and Heraldic History of The Commoners of Great Britain and Ireland, Vol. I., by John Burke as: "Quarterly, first and fourth, for Lillingston, a bugle, stringed, between three crescents; second and third, for Spooner, az. a boar's head in bend ar. armed or. couped. gutted Sang."Who Can Bear the Arms Today?
Who has the right to bear the original Spooner Arms? The answer is not obvious. The Lillingston fanily is now in Scotland, where several of Abraham's children settled. According to the College of Arms in England, no other Spooner has applied for rights to bear the original Spooner Coat of Arms.
It would seem, since Abraham was the last survivor of his branch of the family, that the original Spooner Arms are not correctly bourne by anyone. If, however, someone out there knows differently, please post the information. The above is taken from www.spoonergen.com/crest.html
Attached Image. Works with IE only! (Click thumbnail to expand)