Posted: 18-Apr-2011, 07:36 PM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian
Group Icon

Group: Scotland
ZodiacIvy

Realm: America, Mid West

male

COLUMBUS, Ohio — Spring is in the air, and that means an unpleasant smell for one greenhouse at Ohio State University.

An 8-foot-tall rain forest plant that's known as a "corpse flower" because it smells like rotting flesh is getting ready to bloom.

The Columbus Dispatch reports greenhouse coordinator Joan Leonard has been growing the flowers since 2001, and this would be the first of five to bloom.

Leonard says smelling the Amorphophallus titanium for the first time will be the culmination of a decade of work. But it will be a quick experience because the flower withers after a day or two.

She expects the bloom to open in May, revealing its umbrella-sized "petals." When that happens, the university will have visiting hours to give people a peek at the rare plant.

My wifes grandmother had one of these that she kept in a spare bedroom. It does smell like rotting flesh when it blooms and it is pollinated by flies and other insects attracted to carrion. After her husband died she gave it to a botanical garden in Chicago. I had never seen one before or since. Fortunately it did not bloom every year.

Slàinte,    

Patch    
PMEmail Poster               
0 User(s) are reading this topic (0 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll

Celtic RadioTM broadcasts through Live365.com and StreamLicensing.com which are officially licensed under SoundExchange, ASCAP, BMI, SESAC and SOCAN.
©2014 Celtic Radio Network, Highlander Radio, Celtic Moon, Celtic Dance, Ye O' Celtic Pub and Celt-Rock-Radio.
All rights and trademarks reserved. Read our Privacy Policy.
Celtic Graphics ©2014, Cari Buziak

Link to CelticRadio.net!
Link to CelticRadio.net
View Broadcast Status and Statistics!

Best Viewed With IE 8.0 (1680 x 1050 Resolution), Javascript & Cookies Enabled.

[Home] [Top]

Celtic Hearts Gallery | Celtic Mates Dating | My Celtic Friends | Celtic Music Radio | Family Heraldry | Medival Kingdom | Top Celtic Sites | Web Celt Blog | Video Celt