Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll

> Tell Congress: We Will Remember In Nov!
Bookmark and Share
stoirmeil 
Posted: 22-Mar-2010, 04:13 PM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian

Group: Celtic Nation
ZodiacBirch

Realm: New York

[T]he "Baby killer!" furor highlights a far more serious, long-term political dilemma for the Republicans: how to appear to be a respectable party capable of governing while also providing political shelter for the highly motivated, though vocally disruptive, protest wing of the party associated with the Tea Party movement.

. . .

[O]ne prominent conservative commentator—former Bush speechwriter David Frum—argues that last night's vote was an enormous political reversal for Republicans. Saying that the Republicans went for "all the marbles" by unanimously opposing the bill and refusing to compromise in any way—fueling activist fury at the same time—he writes:

"So today's defeat for free-market economics and Republican values is a huge win for the conservative entertainment industry. Their listeners and viewers will now be even more enraged, even more frustrated, even more disappointed in everybody except the responsibility-free talkers on television and radio. For them, it's mission accomplished. For the cause they purport to represent, it's Waterloo all right: ours."

. . .

In many ways, the dilemma faced by modern Republicans is similar to the one Democrats faced in the '60s and '70s with the Vietnam-era anti-war movement. While the confrontation-minded (and media-friendly) activists garnered headlines and caused widespread disruption, the Democrats succumbed to damaging leadership divisions on the war—and in the process, allowed Republicans to tag them with sinister hippie and New Left leanings ever since. The challenge for Republicans going forward is to avoid the same undertow from their activist base—to establish majorities in Washington and not let the unsavory aspects of the fringe haunt them for decades to come.

(full article here:
http://news.yahoo.com/s/ynews/ynews_ts1298 )

As a formerly very young, loudly committed, guitar-toting, long-haired 1960s total pain in the a$$ protester, I offer my two cents, for what they are worth:

It did not work. It was a lot of momentarily impressive but quickly dissipated heat, that shed no light at all, and incidentally caused hurt among our men in the military that took a long time to heal. For some, it has never healed. You do not even reckon on whom your activism today may injure -- you think it is pure and noble, and that it is surely of such inspired benefit to all that it justifies any means whatsoever.

If all you manage to do is shoot yourselves in the foot as individual lobbies or as a party, you may, I have to admit, have less to answer for than some of us did. A little ignominious, that, but maybe better in the long run. To the extent that you believe you are reframing and reenacting the founding revolutionary myth of this nation --
no.gif
PMEmail Poster               
Jillian 
Posted: 22-Mar-2010, 05:25 PM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian
Group Icon

Group: Brittany
ZodiacOak

Realm: Pennsylvania

female

As a formerly very young, loudly committed, guitar-toting, long-haired 1960s total pain in the a$$ protester, I offer my two cents, for what they are worth:

It did not work. It was a lot of momentarily impressive but quickly dissipated heat, that shed no light at all, and incidentally caused hurt among our men in the military that took a long time to heal. For some, it has never healed. You do not even reckon on whom your activism today may injure -- you think it is pure and noble, and that it is surely of such inspired benefit to all that it justifies any means whatsoever.

If all you manage to do is shoot yourselves in the foot as individual lobbies or as a party, you may, I have to admit, have less to answer for than some of us did. A little ignominious, that, but maybe better in the long run. To the extent that you believe you are reframing and reenacting the founding revolutionary myth of this nation -- Stoirmeil

At least from my point of view (not Republican but Independent), I believe the comparison to be a bit different in that the 60's peace movement didn't want the war at all, whereas most opponents of this healthcare bill do want health reform.

I can't speak for all but I personally don't like the approach nor the implications set forth in this bill. I will now have a chance to really see what is in the bill--beyond the partisan speak from both sides. I think the other comparison that the activism today may injure (comparing the mental grief caused to Vietnam veterans vs. injuring the uninsured) is also too different to compare.

Considering who is being "injured" should be top priority when a bill is passed or not. The message in today's movements against this healthcare bill aren't attacking the uninsured or demonizing them such as what took place against the Vietnam veterans....the activism is an attempt to stop what I think is an act of using the uninsured as a gimmick to run a bill through that ultimately represents ulterior motives that aim to move our government into a position to control more of the people's daily business. This isn't something that started with just the Obama administration, this is something that George Bush did as well. Too much spending and government interference--that both parties tell us "we need" because things are so bad. If they hadn't mismanaged the financial sector in the first place with such unthwarted goverment book cooking, half of our financial woes would never have happened. Let's face it, aside from the most recent disatrous mortgage crisis --our politicians have been raiding the SS till for years.

I think sometimes we all tend to categorize Dems and R's like their beliefs are mutually exclusive...I just don't think that is so. I would bet that a bunch of regular thoughtful intelligent folks could've come up with a healthcare bill that would have satisfied both sides' needs---why? Because the polital lobbies of interference would not have played the central role. Regular folks just want health reform not any other agenda.

But that's just my 2 pence.......what I would've liked to see is a healthcare bill that addressed all citizens...including Congress and the President. When they are receiving the same healthcare we are, then I'll know they are trying their best.

Jillian

--------------------

"Disappointments are inevitable. Discouragement is a choice."
PMEmail PosterMy Photo Album               
stoirmeil 
Posted: 22-Mar-2010, 07:13 PM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian

Group: Celtic Nation
ZodiacBirch

Realm: New York

I'm not addressing the Republican party, but the loud activist segment who are now and have been for a long time trying to drown out reasonable discourse, no matter where it comes from, and represent themselves as a majority. The author of the article is correct -- it has spread from the fringes to the legislating body as a mode of communication. That was the whole point of the article: what should have been a source of energy to be used as long as it could be controlled has become an out of control embarrassment that now marks the mainstream. And I agree with you, when the main body of the people need healthcare reform, this is a ridiculous and damaging way to conduct the necessary inquiries about need and delivery. As far as the comparability of emotionally-driven protest behaviour and its potential, even its professed intention, to do harm, between the 1960s and now -- my comment is not about the issue content of the protest, nor about who is supporting the issues, but about the manner in which it is conducted and what it intends to do: grind down, drown out, undermine, and above all misrepresent public opinion in an overly emotionalized and repetitive way. When I say it does not work, I mean two things -- in the long run, it cannot be shown to accomplish what the special interest group wants it to; but more fundamentally, it does not accomplish what the people need: in this case, provision of health care with reasonable access for any citizen (and, yes, non-citizen worker who does a job here legally for the citizens' benefit).

PMEmail Poster               
0 User(s) are reading this topic (0 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll

Celtic RadioTM broadcasts through Live365.com and StreamLicensing.com which are officially licensed under SoundExchange, ASCAP, BMI, SESAC and SOCAN.
©2014 Celtic Radio Network, Highlander Radio, Celtic Moon, Celtic Dance, Ye O' Celtic Pub and Celt-Rock-Radio.
All rights and trademarks reserved. Read our Privacy Policy.
Celtic Graphics ©2014, Cari Buziak

Link to CelticRadio.net!
Link to CelticRadio.net
View Broadcast Status and Statistics!

Best Viewed With IE 8.0 (1680 x 1050 Resolution), Javascript & Cookies Enabled.

[Home] [Top]

Celtic Hearts Gallery | Celtic Mates Dating | My Celtic Friends | Celtic Music Radio | Family Heraldry | Medival Kingdom | Top Celtic Sites | Web Celt Blog | Video Celt