Patriot1776 
Posted: 15-Oct-2009, 07:50 AM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian

Group: Celtic Nation
ZodiacElder

Realm: North Carolina

male

This upcoming Sunday I have to drive back to Asheville and be at the Mission Sleep Center by 9:30 PM/21:30 for a sleep study to see if I have a sleeping disorder. This was ordered by my cardiologist as I've been gaining weight (20 lbs. since he last saw me) and I've been sleeping poorly for sometime, and I've been trying various things to improve it, but no success, and I still have to drink too much coffee to stay out of bed everyday.

Who in here has done this and knows how restricted you are when you're hooked up to the sensors in their bed?

--------------------
LP Vinyl Enthusiast - It really needs to be in LP vinyl format for me to most certainly get it. ^^

"Your brother brought me silver, and your sister warmed my soul, but now I laugh and pull so hard and see you swinging from the gallows pole!" - from the Led Zeppelin song "Gallows Pole", 'Led Zeppelin III' album.
PMEmail Poster               
Mailagnas maqqas Dunaidonas 
Posted: 15-Oct-2009, 09:02 AM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian

ZodiacOak

male

I had a sleep study in early 2007. Exact procedure no doubt varies from one center to another, but in my case once the sensors were all attached my movements were fairly restricted.
The results were fairly dramatic. I did not sleep more than 2 minutes before I stopped breathing and woke up. I was getting no REM sleep at all. After being hooked up to a CPAP, I immediately went into two hours of REM sleep.

--------------------
Síochán leat,
Mailagnas
Clan Donald USA
PMEmail Poster               
Patch 
Posted: 15-Oct-2009, 04:25 PM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian

ZodiacIvy

Realm: America, Mid West

male

Before I lost weight I had to use a BIPAP. (two pressure levels.) I still have the machine but have not used it since 2002.

My dog liked the sound of the machine running and would curl up around it. Also, he has digestive problems and would have a terrible gas problem at times.

I can not count the times I would wake up on the verge of throwing up as he had passed some really vile gas. The BIPAP picked it up and put it right into the mask. It is not possible to get the mask off fast enough!!

People I told that to thought it was a real hoot!

Slàinte,    

Patch    

PMEmail Poster               
Rindy 
Posted: 20-Oct-2009, 03:29 PM
Quote Post

Braveheart Member

ZodiacBirch

female

Patriot1776 how did your sleep study go? I am just now catching up. My sister had one done last week and what a ordeal. She said they had wires to her head, her eyes, a band around her waist, her legs and she had tubes in her nose.

She was able to get up and go down the hall to the bathroom down the hall. She was so embarrassed, you'd just have to know my sister she's one you don't see her without being dolled up. lol..

She said she did find out she has sleep apnea and they told her she was at a 69 and normal is in the 90's. She wasn't getting any REM sleep so she is now in the process of searching for a mask. She couldn't handle the oxygen tubes she would wake up tangled and it off her face.
I guess her legs were kicking like crazy and I guess that's your bodies way of waking you up to breath.

Very interesting stories here. Funny story Patch..lol. Mailagnas maqqas Dunaidonas are you using a mask? I just don't think I would be able to sleep with a camera and wires..I have to take a horse tranquilizer to sleep, well almost.

I will be anxious to hear how it went Patriot1776.

Slainte
PMEmail Poster               
Patriot1776 
Posted: 20-Oct-2009, 06:52 PM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian

ZodiacElder

male

Don't know yet what the results were. I had the wires on my head, face, bands on my waist and stomach, and my legs. I slept very lightly and didn't need the CPAP any during the night. I could tell I didn't get any REM sleep though. I did bring a high-quality mechanical alarm clock with me and they let me set it near the bed to help the ticking aid me in sleep.

Had problems with the heart sensors and one of the chin sensors since even after I shaved, still quite a bit of peach fuzz on my chin, and I'm almost as hairy as a gorilla on the rest of my body, but those things stayed put in long enough stretches I believe for them to get enough good data.

The hardest part of the whole thing was staying awake all day until the study without any caffeine from coffee, tea, or soda. I really thought several times I wasn't gonna make it, especially during the 2 hour drive up to Asheville. Thanks to a combination of Metallica, Megadeth, and radio-played bluegrass, I made it to the sleep center without cat napping any.

Taking the sensors off was the most painful part of it, specifically the heart sensors and leg sensors, again because of my hairy body, and the sleep tech didn't have a trimmer with him to shave off the areas to put those sensors.

Finally climbed into the bed at around 10:15 I think, and after 15 minutes of sensor checks with me moving the various parts of my body, the tech turned off the lights and I was free to sleep and study started. The good thing was I was able to sleep on my sides if I wanted to. I was glad of that.

Like I said, I slept pretty light I thought, no dreams/REM sleep, and before I knew it, after the couple times the aforementioned sensors had to be reattached, the tech woke me up at 5:45 saying it was over and time to take the sensors off and get my shower in to wash the goop outta my hair. I finally got dressed I guess 6:05 or so and after hunting down a phonebook, I called mom's hotel room from one of the hall phones in the center to come and pick me up.

They said it might take up to three weeks for them to call me with the results. I hope it ain't that long. I really want to get back to sleeping normally so I can have the energy to really exercise and do the things I was enjoying before the chemo treatments started.
PMEmail Poster               
Patch 
Posted: 20-Oct-2009, 07:31 PM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian

ZodiacIvy

male

Mine started at 11 PM and by 2:30 AM they woke me up and told me I needed a BIPAP. They hooked me up to theirs and I slept till 8:30 AM. That afternoon I got the machine and used it for two years.

Without it I would not have lived two years.

Slàinte,    

Patch    
PMEmail Poster               
Mailagnas maqqas Dunaidonas 
Posted: 20-Oct-2009, 08:51 PM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian

ZodiacOak

male

I use a nasal pillow mask with my CPAP. It basically just covers my upper lip and directs the air into my nose. It's considerably less obtrusive than the mask that covers your nose and mouth.
PMEmail Poster               
Rindy 
Posted: 21-Oct-2009, 08:11 PM
Quote Post

Braveheart Member

ZodiacBirch

female

Patriot1776 Ouch, removing the sensors sounds awful. I am glad you made it through the entire test. I hope you get the results quicker than 3 weeks. I think that's what they told my sister as well. She is anxious to feel better. They told her not to expect it right away. I am anxious to see how she does. Let us know how things are going. I hope it helps.

Patch this must make a big difference sounds like right away. That's great. I am so glad you had this test done. We can take our sleep for granted. Good for you on losing the weight.

My sister was saying that the doctor told her a lot of football players have sleep apnea as they have thick necks. Guess she grabbed her neck and said "Do I have a thick neck?" lol. She no way has a thick neck. She is very petite. They came in and woke her up at 3:00 A.M. she almost had to do the test again at another time. She was very happy to finish the test that night.

Mailagnas maqqas Dunaidonas thanks now this one I might be able to handle. The mask thing scares me into a panic. *can't breath* even though it's blowing oxygen. lol.. This one sounds much better to me.

I applaud all of you for going through this test and sharing the experiences.

Slainte
PMEmail Poster               
Patch 
Posted: 22-Oct-2009, 05:42 AM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian

ZodiacIvy

male

I had to add a Humidifier to the machine as the air dried out the airways. The air went from the machine to a small container of water and then to me. Also, I had to use the mask as I had developed the habit of breathing through my mouth. As I lost weight that stopped. I lost well over 160 lb but it took just 50 lb to cut the need for the BIPAP. Some need it due to problems with the nervous system and that is for life.

Slàinte,    

Patch    
PMEmail Poster               
Camac
Posted: 22-Oct-2009, 08:23 AM
Quote Post

Main: Registration
Questions: Help
Important: Rules

Zodiac

Because of extensive nerve and muscle damage in my left leg I have to take up to three (some times 4) Tylenol 3 at night to get to sleep depending on how bad the leg is aching. Other than that I rate my sleep as a 1,2,or 3 P sleep. Depending on how often I have to get up to use the potty. Even though I am a heavy smoker I have not yet had trouble breathing at night but I know that's coming.

Camac.

Rindy 
Posted: 23-Oct-2009, 07:26 PM
Quote Post

Braveheart Member

ZodiacBirch

female

Patch my dad had the water in the machine and when it was low it would beep. Oh, I don't know how one would stand the air blowing without the humidity. Good for you in losing that much weight wow.

Camac, Bless you. I really hope you never need to use the oxygen. I am not going to say "quit smoking" being a former smoker you already know you should and it's annoying when people tell you that.

The more I am reading the more I am thinking I should do this sleep study. But then again I don't find myself sleeping in the day time. I never could. I guess I just don't need as much sleep as I think I do.

Slainte
PMEmail Poster               
Patriot1776 
Posted: 07-Nov-2009, 07:56 PM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian

ZodiacElder

male

Sorry I never got back with everybody, but the sleep study results came back saying I do really have sleep apnea and I do snore. I sleapt for six hours during the study, and during that time, my brain woke up 41 times to get me to breathing right again. I'm going back to the sleep center tomorrow night, but this time it will be to find my CPAP settings.
PMEmail Poster               
Patch 
Posted: 09-Nov-2009, 09:47 AM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian

ZodiacIvy

male

Rindy:

After the first week I had nose bleeds. The humidity took care of that. Were it not for my dog It would have been ok. However he would curl up around the machine which had to be near the floor because of condensation. It made soft swishing and humming sounds which he seemed to like. Unfortunately I had not yet solved his "gas" problem and that woke me up numerous times a night as the machine gathered it all and put it in the face mask.

Slàinte,   

Patch    
PMEmail Poster               
Patriot1776 
Posted: 27-Nov-2009, 06:21 PM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian

ZodiacElder

male

I now have my CPAP machine, a Respironics REMstar Pro M Series, with ramp-up and C-Flex, and humidifier with 6 intensity levels, 0-5. I took a nap earlier with it to give it a first spin and noticed I was more refreshed afterwards than normal, but even with the humidifier on 2 my throat and airway was still too dry for my liking, so I'm going to give setting 3 a shot when I head off to bed for the night.

Machine pressure is set for 8 cm/water, the ramp-up dropping it to 4 cm/water and gradually ramping it up to 8 cm/water over the course of 40 minutes to give me a gentler start of it to help me fall asleep.

I'm starting out with a normal, medium-size nasal mask and am glad I can easily lay on my side even with the mask on. Will update here as my first month with it goes.
PMEmail Poster               
Rindy 
Posted: 29-Nov-2009, 05:36 PM
Quote Post

Braveheart Member

ZodiacBirch

female

OMG Patch that is not good about your dog. That is so funny, but it isn't. Will warn my sister..lol.. laugh.gif wink.gif

Patriot1776 I hope you get the humidity level figured. I am glad you found a mask that you feel comfortable with. Oh, I just don't think I could get use to one. I look forward to your up dates.

Slainte
PMEmail Poster               
0 User(s) are reading this topic (0 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Reply to this topic Quick ReplyStart new topicStart Poll

© Celtic Radio Network
Celtic Radio is a TorontoCast radio station that is based in Canada.
TorontoCast provides music license coverage through SOCAN.
All rights and trademarks reserved. Read our Privacy Policy.

[Home] [Top]