Toasted Pecans with Honey Chipotle Coating
These little make ahead appetizers are an addictive combination of sweet and spicy. My advice is to always make more than you think you'll need-- they go quickly! If you don't have or can't fine chipotle powder, you can sub regular chili powder. You won't get that same distinctive, smokey taste, but they'll still be wonderful.
This make ahead appetizers recipe makes 2 cups of nuts and can be prepared up to a week ahead of time. Store in a sealed container.
2 tbsp. honey
1 1/2 tsp. dried chipotle powder
3/4 tsp. ground cinnamon
2 C. pecan halves (choose the nicest-looking ones!)
2 tbsp. granulated sugar (or golden brown sugar)
3/4 tsp. salt
Instructions: 1. Preheat the oven to 325 degrees F.
2. In a medium microwave safe mixing bowl, combine the honey, chipotle powder, and ground cinnamon. Warm through. (You can also do this on the stove. Use a skillet over low heat.)
3. Stir nuts into warmed honey mixture. Still well to coat.
4. On a parchment paper-lined baking sheet, spread honey-coated nuts in a single layer.
5. Bake until toasted and fragrant, about 15 minutes.
6. Remove from oven and allow to cool only slightly (no more than a minute or two-- you want them to still be sticky.)
7. In a clean, medium sized mixing bowl, combine the sugar and salt.
8. Dump the hot, coated nuts in the bowl and toss to combine.
9. Spread nuts on cold waxed or parchment paper and let dry. It's best if they don't touch each other.
10. Serve or store until ready to eat.