Patch 
Posted: 01-Jul-2009, 08:31 AM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian

Group: Celtic Nation
ZodiacIvy

Realm: America, Mid West

male

I am looking to start a new "guard dog" and a local breeder has a large litter of Mastiff puppies. I would be interested in learning more about them from anyone who has or has had one.

These pups should get large as both parents are near 200 lb. (the female is 180 lb and the male 195) The lady called them goliaths.

Thanks.

Slàinte,    

Patch    

PMEmail Poster               
stoirmeil 
Posted: 01-Jul-2009, 08:03 PM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian

ZodiacBirch

Realm: New York

It sure makes an impressive guard dog, but I think the first thing you want to ask about is the health record for the breed and for the parents in particular -- these really outsized breeds have generally shorter life spans and are more prone to all kinds of health problems, and the vet bills as they age (far too soon) can far outweigh the food bills, which are massive enough.

http://www.bigpawsonly.com/Mastiff-Dog-breed.htm

These puppies are very attractive now, I'm sure, but if she isn't ready to settle down with a new pup yet anyway, why would you not consider a large-ish mid-sized dog like a shepherd?
PMEmail Poster               
Patch 
Posted: 02-Jul-2009, 04:08 AM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian

ZodiacIvy

Realm: America, Mid West

male

What drew my interest initially was that she has had trouble selling them and is open to offers. She may have to take them to the "pound" if she can not find buyers for them. I know that they are prone to hip dysplasia as are most large breeds but have been unable to talk to my brother (a Vet.) yet. I have read a bit about their temperament but that is my biggest concern. If the info is correct that is the kind of dog I am looking for. Shepherds and Labs can be good but there is a lot of variance in temperaments. I have seen some "mean" Shepherds and I am not looking for that. I was lucky as my dog now is "protective" and territorial with a strong pack instinct. I would like to start another one with the same temperament.

Thanks for the link. It is a bit more informative than I have read so far.

Slàinte,    

Patch    
PMEmail Poster               
stoirmeil 
Posted: 04-Jul-2009, 11:09 PM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian

ZodiacBirch

Realm: New York

QUOTE (Patch @ 02-Jul-2009, 04:08 AM)
What drew my interest initially was that she has had trouble selling them and is open to offers. She may have to take them to the "pound" if she can not find buyers for them. I know that they are prone to hip dysplasia as are most large breeds but have been unable to talk to my brother (a Vet.) yet. I have read a bit about their temperament but that is my biggest concern. If the info is correct that is the kind of dog I am looking for. Shepherds and Labs can be good but there is a lot of variance in temperaments. I have seen some "mean" Shepherds and I am not looking for that. I was lucky as my dog now is "protective" and territorial with a strong pack instinct. I would like to start another one with the same temperament.

Thanks for the link. It is a bit more informative than I have read so far.

Slàinte,

Patch

I've known one or two of these mastiffs, and they are really big slobs with a sweet manner, and especially good with kids. You are right about that -- a shepherd can be more edgy. I would think the main deal is the cost of feeding, and then any medical issues.

If she has had trouble selling them, it would be good to find out if it's mainly the size and the feeding that puts people off, or something else that is harder to foresee. If she will tell you. I know you have a kind heart, but I hope she is not telling you she will have to bring them to the pound to push you into taking one. smile.gif
PMEmail Poster               
0 User(s) are reading this topic (0 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll

Celtic RadioTM broadcasts through Live365.com and StreamLicensing.com which are officially licensed under SoundExchange, ASCAP, BMI, SESAC and SOCAN.
©2014 Celtic Radio Network, Highlander Radio, Celtic Moon, Celtic Dance, Ye O' Celtic Pub and Celt-Rock-Radio.
All rights and trademarks reserved. Read our Privacy Policy.
Celtic Graphics ©2014, Cari Buziak

Link to CelticRadio.net!
Link to CelticRadio.net
View Broadcast Status and Statistics!

Best Viewed With IE 8.0 (1680 x 1050 Resolution), Javascript & Cookies Enabled.

[Home] [Top]

Celtic Hearts Gallery | Celtic Mates Dating | My Celtic Friends | Celtic Music Radio | Family Heraldry | Medival Kingdom | Top Celtic Sites | Web Celt Blog | Video Celt