Swanny 
Posted: 21-Feb-2009, 08:59 PM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian

Group: Celtic Nation
ZodiacBirch

Realm: Two Rivers, Alaska

male

I wasn't sure whether to post this here, or in the trail sign category, so being indecisive I figured I'd put it on both.

Yesterday I took a team of 8 out, pulling my 19th century reproduction toboggan. Since the dogs were in a modern "Nome hitch", it is the type of rig that was common on the trails of the North West Territories and Alaska in the 1880s and 1890s. You can see video of our run on YouTube at http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qhjGySyOP90

Swanny

--------------------
user posted image "You can't run with the big dogs if you still pee like a puppy".

Stardancer Historical Freight Dogs, Two Rivers, Alaska.

"Aut pax, aut bellum" (Clan Gunn)
PMEmail Poster               
flora 
Posted: 22-Feb-2009, 09:36 AM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian

ZodiacAsh

Realm: Tangerine, Florida

female

Thank you for sharing with us Swanny. You could tell the dogs really were enjoying the run. Your video really brought to life the actual size of the sled itself and just how fast you travel. I enjoyed seeing the trail also. You are really fortunate to be able to do this.
Our friends in Canada just might need you to help them because of all the snow everyone is experiencing.

Flora

--------------------
"Nature always wears the colors of the spirit." -
Ralph Waldo Emerson

Forget not that the earth delights to feel your bare feet and the winds long to play with your hair.
K. Gibran

In every walk with nature one receives far more than he seeks.
John Muir

"Climb the mountains and get their good tidings. Nature's peace will flow into you as sunshine flows into trees. The winds will blow their own freshness into you, and the storms their energy, while cares will drop off like autumn leaves."
John Muir
PMEmail Poster               
Rindy 
Posted: 22-Feb-2009, 10:41 AM
Quote Post

Peasant

ZodiacBirch

female

Hi Swanny. This is a fantastic video. I watched it in full screen and you can really get an idea of what it's like on the back of a sled. I enjoyed the music as well. I have a question if you wouldn't mind answering. What do you dog do if a deer runs across the path or is off to the sides. Do your dogs go after them or not? This looks like a lot of fun. Love the trail.
Thanks for posting this.

Slainte
PMEmail Poster               
Swanny 
Posted: 22-Feb-2009, 01:05 PM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian

ZodiacBirch

male

QUOTE (Rindy @ 22-Feb-2009, 06:41 AM)
I have a question if you wouldn't mind answering. What do you dog do if a deer runs across the path or is off to the sides. Do your dogs go after them or not?

Although there aren't any small species of deer in this part of Alaska, we do have lots and lots of moose, the largest of the deer family. Encounters are relatively common and very dangerous.

The sled is equipped with a brake, but it has limited effectiveness as it's basically just two long, steel prongs that drag in the snow. I also have a pair of "snow hooks" on the sled (the blue hardware you see me messing with at the start of the video). The snow hook is basically a steel claw that digs into the snow to anchor the team. The combination of the brake and snow hooks is usually plenty to keep the team in place.

If worse comes to worse, I almost always carry a firearm of sufficient caliber to dispatch a moose while running my dogs.

During fall and late spring, grizzly bears can also create a hazard for dog teams and mushers.

PMEmail Poster               
Rindy 
Posted: 22-Feb-2009, 01:31 PM
Quote Post

Peasant

ZodiacBirch

female

Thanks for the answer Swanny. That's interesting. The bears would make me a bit nervous. I'd be yelling "mush mush dogs mush!" lol. If I came across the moose, it would make me nervous as well. I've never ran across an Alaskan moose but the moose around here can be rather mean.

What a great video Swanny thanks again.

Slainte
PMEmail Poster               
Harlot 
Posted: 22-Feb-2009, 01:39 PM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian

ZodiacIvy

Realm: Southern Michiagn USA

female

Swanny, I real enjoy watching your video's you post for us. I too have a couple questions. Frist what are your dogs doing when they look like they are licking up some snow, are they thirsty? And second question what do you do if one of them has to take a potty break? I know when I get cold that is the frist thing I have too do. hehe

--------------------
user posted image
Hopes are towers in the skies Dreams are wings taking flight

The Boundaries which divide Life from Death are at best Shadowy and vague. Who shall say where one ends and the other begins

Photobucket

SLAINTE
PMEmail PosterMy Photo Album               View My Space Profile.
Swanny 
Posted: 22-Feb-2009, 05:18 PM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian

ZodiacBirch

male

QUOTE (Harlot @ 22-Feb-2009, 09:39 AM)
Swanny, I real enjoy watching your video's you post for us. I too have a couple questions. Frist what are your dogs doing when they look like they are licking up some snow, are they thirsty? And second question what do you do if one of them has to take a potty break? I know when I get cold that is the frist thing I have too do. hehe

Sled dogs will dip snow for one of three reasons. Studies done by Ray Coppinger back in the day when he was mushing dogs found that dogs that are hot will dip snow in order to cool their brains and ward off heat stress or heat exhaustion. Since the temperature was about 20 degrees above 0 Fahrenheit (about -6 C) that's most likely why Sheenjek and Seamus were dipping. They are very large for sled dogs, so tend to get hot very easily.

Dogs will dip snow because they are thirsty, but that's unlikely in this run. Dogs get about 75 to 80% of the daily water needs from moisture in food (assuming it's available in the food). Obviously they won't get much if they are fed strictly dry kibble. Since my team was watered about 2 hours before our run, it isn't likely they were thirsty.

Some dogs will dip snow out of boredom or as a displacement behavior (something to do instead of what they want to do). IN the video, the smaller dog at wheel (closest to the sled) can be seen dipping. She usually runs in either swing (right behind the leaders) or lead, but the last few runs she has been wanting to scotch at her running mate. I intentionally put her beside Sheenjek because he won't tolerate that behavior. Rather than trying to pick on a dog that is 1/3 again larger and 3 times shorter tempered than she, she chose to dip snow. That was a good decision on her part.

Sled dogs learn to urinate or defecate while running. Since they are running in a team, if they try to stop the other dogs just shove them along. After a few times they figure out that can "poop on the run", especially with encouragement from their team mates and their musher. It makes for some very messy equipment at times, but with 8 dogs on the line, each one needing to "go" at a different time, if we didn't train dogs to do it on the move we'd be stopped more than moving.

Swanny
PMEmail Poster               
Harlot 
Posted: 23-Feb-2009, 12:48 PM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian

ZodiacIvy

Realm: Southern Michiagn USA

female

Thank you for the answers most helpful to know since I like seeing your dogs. Funny thing is I thought you train them like kids ...go before and then no stopping til you get back.

I live in a apartment so no pets and I have always had a dog,so miss the kisses you get from them. Fish are just so boring.

Can't wait till you take them out again!
PMEmail PosterMy Photo Album               View My Space Profile.
0 User(s) are reading this topic (0 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll

Celtic RadioTM broadcasts through Live365.com and StreamLicensing.com which are officially licensed under SoundExchange, ASCAP, BMI, SESAC and SOCAN.
2014 Celtic Radio Network, Highlander Radio, Celtic Moon, Celtic Dance, Ye O' Celtic Pub and Celt-Rock-Radio.
All rights and trademarks reserved. Read our Privacy Policy.
Celtic Graphics 2014, Cari Buziak

Link to CelticRadio.net!
Link to CelticRadio.net
View Broadcast Status and Statistics!

Best Viewed With IE 8.0 (1680 x 1050 Resolution), Javascript & Cookies Enabled.

[Home] [Top]

Celtic Hearts Gallery | Celtic Mates Dating | My Celtic Friends | Celtic Music Radio | Family Heraldry | Medival Kingdom | Top Celtic Sites | Web Celt Blog | Video Celt