LadyOfAvalon 
Posted: 20-Jan-2009, 10:14 AM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian
Group Icon

Group: Scotland
ZodiacVine

female

Oh!lschillinger what a cute little thing...she's so cute!!!! I like the little pink coat...

Pets are indeed men's best friends...they love unconditionnally!!!!
We had my inlaws greyhound for a week now she'll be leaving us tonight...what fun we had all week...here is Zelda and me outside!

LOA smile.gif

Attached Image. Works with IE only! (Click thumbnail to expand)
Attached Image (Works with IE Only)

--------------------
"Few men are brave:many become so through training and discipline."
Flavius Vegetius Renatus

"I think a hero is an ordinary individual who finds strenght to persevere and endure in spite of overwhelming obstacles."
Christopher Reeve
PM My Photo Album               
lschillinger 
Posted: 20-Jan-2009, 11:15 AM
Quote Post

Knight of the Round Table

Group: Celtic Nation
ZodiacHazel

Realm: The Heart of it All

female

LOL I love the booties LOA. I think my dog has a bigger wardrobe than I do!

We are thinking about getting some of those shoes for her as well, but I'm not sure how she'd tollerate those. She is really sensitive about having her feet/legs touched. We got her as a rescue because her original owner (a semi puppy mill breeder) was abusive and she had a broken front leg, you can see that it is a little deformed in the pic. She had to have a steal plate put in. But yesterday the snow was very wet and cold her and she came in the house holding her leg up yipping. I think her paws got a little frost nip.

--------------------
COURAGE GROWS STRONG AT THE WOUND

"Be happy while you're living, for you're a long time dead."

“Twelve highlanders and a bagpipe make a rebellion.”

user posted image
PMEmail PosterMy Photo Album               
Patch 
Posted: 20-Jan-2009, 12:04 PM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian
Group Icon

ZodiacIvy

Realm: America, Mid West

male

Mine is a Brittany Spaniel. He has been through several homes and was thought to be untrainable. After eating my glasses we went to war and some time later I became the Alpha dog. For the last 4 years he has been great. He guards the property when I am gone (saved my property during a burglery) and when I am home he tries to be a lap dog unless I appear to be mad. Then he too is mad. He is in the last half of his life now and I will miss him should I outlive him.

Slàinte,    

Patch     
PMEmail Poster               
jayhenson 
Posted: 20-Jan-2009, 06:31 PM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian

ZodiacHawthorn

Realm: Royse City, Texas USA

male

The Corgi is the Queen's dog (I believe she has 10 of them)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lW6aO3juPR0

The breed is a nice one.
http://www.wikifido.com/page/Pembroke+Welsh+Corgi

Personally I would love a Schipperkie but I am not really active enough for the breed. It is a very smart breed and like all smart ones, you MUST keep them occupied or they look for something to do....not a good thing.

The AKC webpage has pretty much all the basics on all recognized breeds ( http://www.akc.org/index.cfm ) and you can sorta read up on their temperments and whatnot. I do hope that you will go to the local animal shelter and see if a dog in need of a loving home can steal your heart.
You can also attend dog shows and see each breed at its best. Just be very aware that if you get a breed that is an active dog and you are not an active person, it will not be a pretty training session (Marley and Me). The best dog I have had as an adult or child was a large breed Chihuahua (think the Taco Bell dog). I can't even tell you how awesome that dog was. When it was time to mercifully put her down, I flew home on leave to do it, she was my dog and I wouldn't, couldn't have anyone else take her to the vet for the last time. I get teary eyed even now remembering it. The scene in Marley and Me when that happens (sorry for any spoilers) is exactly how it was except that I, the vet, and her teenage football jock assistant were all crying.
Wow, sorry it turned sad there for abit, but you already know how much your dog goes from family pet to family member. As you can guess, I am considering another one.

Peace

Jay
PMEmail PosterMy Photo Album               View My Space Profile.
Camac
Posted: 20-Jan-2009, 09:01 PM
Quote Post

Main: Registration
Questions: Help
Important: Rules

Zodiac

Jay Henson;

A young couple in my building last year had a Chihuahua named Henry. He was the best pocket dog I ever came across. Didn't bark or yip, friendly as all get out and damned if he didn't use the Kitty Litter Box..

Camac.

jayhenson 
Posted: 20-Jan-2009, 10:40 PM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian

ZodiacHawthorn

Realm: Royse City, Texas USA

male

I have so many good and funny memories of 'Poco" (real original name for a chihuahua). I am sure she could have been trained to a kitty box but she would let us know when she needed to go out. One of the coolest things about her was when we would wrestle. She would get all snarly and mean and all teeth and terror, but her bites were never hard enough to even dent the skin and all I had to do was say "ok" and instantly she was all cuddles and cute. Another funny thing was how I could get her all worked up. We had a storage shed in the back yard and there were feral cats living under it. She was not really happy about that. So we could be sitting watching TV and I could lean down and whisper to her, "Poco...where's that cat?" and boom like a shot, she is at the back door just quivering with righteous indignation at the mere possibility that one of those cats may show a whisker. If you said it to her again, she would almost pee herself waiting for you to open the door, and when you did WHOOOF!!! Out the door she went, so fast papers would rustle on the table, barking and raising hell just as fast as her legs would take her, right to the hole where they go in. She would bark a couple of times and if there was no immediate threat to her domain she would trot back like the hero she was.
I know there will never be another 'Poco', but I really hope I can find one close.

Slàinte

Jay
PMEmail PosterMy Photo Album               View My Space Profile.
Camac
Posted: 21-Jan-2009, 08:42 AM
Quote Post

Main: Registration
Questions: Help
Important: Rules

Zodiac

When I had my Collie, Robbie, my ex had five cats and when she would curl up on the couch to watch TV all the cats would climb up and cuddle in with her. A scene of really domestic peace. I on the other hand would be sitting in my chair with Robbie beside me half asleep. Well being the Imp that I am I would quietly whisper to Robbie "Get the cat" and all hell would break loose with cats flying in every direction. I though it was funny, ex. didn't.

Camac.

LadyOfAvalon 
Posted: 21-Jan-2009, 04:03 PM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian
Group Icon

ZodiacVine

female

QUOTE (lschillinger @ 20-Jan-2009, 11:15 AM)
LOL I love the booties LOA.  I think my dog has a bigger wardrobe than I do! 

We are thinking about getting some of those shoes for her as well, but I'm not sure how she'd tollerate those.  She is really sensitive about having her feet/legs touched.  We got her as a rescue because her original owner (a semi puppy mill breeder) was abusive and she had a broken front leg, you can see that it is a little deformed in the pic.  She had to have a steal plate put in.  But yesterday the snow was very wet and cold her and she came in the house holding her leg up yipping.  I think her paws got a little frost nip.

Yes! Aren't they nice and all made of leather and wool...imagine some people don't even have that on their feet...

But still the poor thing doesn't have any choice to put them on when it's minus 20degrees celsius outside and she has to wear a coat as well all lined with wool otherwise minutes outside and she a frozen popsicle...she's skin and bone and muscles that's pretty much it...no fur for protection against the cold weather.

But she's back home now with her mama she left last night...I miss her already.
I'm a crazy nut when it comes to animals...I just love them like they love us.
Unconditionnally!!!!

LOA smile.gif
PM My Photo Album               
WallaceGal 
Posted: 21-Jan-2009, 04:08 PM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian
Group Icon

Group: Founder
ZodiacAsh

Realm: Highland MI

female

LOA, at least when you get the dog dressed, she still goes OUT to go potty, rather than getting her all dressed then having to undress her again so she can go laugh.gif

--------------------
user posted image
Glamis Castle, Forfar, Scotland

Quando omni flunkus, moritati

Slàinte!
PMEmail Poster                
LadyOfAvalon 
Posted: 21-Jan-2009, 04:12 PM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian
Group Icon

ZodiacVine

female

Yeah WallaceGal that's the pratical side of it...I don't have to undress her thumbs_up.gif

LOA smile.gif
PM My Photo Album               
lschillinger 
Posted: 21-Jan-2009, 05:48 PM
Quote Post

Knight of the Round Table

ZodiacHazel

Realm: The Heart of it All

female

Mine is a Brittany Spaniel. He has been through several homes and was thought to be untrainable. After eating my glasses we went to war and some time later I became the Alpha dog.

Patch:

I too had a puppy chew the heck out of my glasses. When I took them in to get the frames repaired and order new lenses the eye care folks told me that the coating they use to make glasses scratch resistant is actually very tasty to dogs. Apparently something like "dog candy" they said. I didn't think it was very amusing either!
PMEmail PosterMy Photo Album               
Leelee 
Posted: 21-Jan-2009, 09:18 PM
Quote Post

Lady Leleanda - Mystic Dreamer
Group Icon

Group: Fellowship of the Ring
ZodiacIvy

Realm: Alberta, Canada

female

Congratulation Shenanigans !!!! Happy house hunting thumbs_up.gif And a potential new addition to the household, Lovely smile.gif

When I was about five years old we owned a Chihuahau named Tiny. Unfortunately she didn't last...she got into the dandelion pesticide next door after the neighbors sprayed sad.gif My mom also had another dog, a Maltese; her name was Bobbie. The poor girl was blind & deaf when she left us.

Since then we had Abbey, a Black & Tan Doberman rescued from abuse; she was defending her puppies, they weren't even weaned yet when the former owner was selling them and beat her upon her defense. It took her some time to adjust to us and get through the grieving process (losing her pups so soon and all). Abbey was with us for 10 years of her life. I believe she was 13 when she passed.

Then we had Duchess, a Tanned Doberman that we also rescued. "Rig Pigs" lived next door to my Brother and they left her tied to the back screen door with no food or water for days. Of course my Brother & his family tended to her. You know they didn't even realize she was gone when they returned from work....imbiciles. She was with us for 12 years.

Now I have my own Pupper. We rescued Lucky from the ASPCA; another unfortunate soul that was abused. Lucky is a Border Collie/Black Lab Cross and just turned three years old this month smile.gif She is a joy to behold and has brought life into this household. Lucky is supremely smart, is good with toddlers, children, pets (cats & dogs) and is a socialite with pretty much everyone she meets. Lucky very rarely barks unless there is a good reason. I plan to spend many tender years with her. It can be a lot of work, but it is truely worth it biggrin.gif

Attached Image. Works with IE only! (Click thumbnail to expand)
Attached Image (Works with IE Only)

--------------------
Slàinte!

Truth in our hearts. Strength in our hands. Consistency in our tongues.

Beauty is not just all around us, but within us....

"Mo nighean donn," he whispered, "Mo chridhe. My brown lass, my heart. Come to me. Cover me. Shelter me, a bhean, heal me. Burn with me, as I burn for you."(Fiery Cross Quote)
PMEmail PosterUsers WebsiteMy Photo Album               
stoirmeil 
Posted: 22-Jan-2009, 05:16 PM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian

ZodiacBirch

Realm: New York

QUOTE (Camac @ 21-Jan-2009, 08:42 AM)
When I had my Collie, Robbie, my ex had five cats and when she would curl up on the couch to watch TV all the cats would climb up and cuddle in with her. A scene of really domestic peace. I on the other hand would be sitting in my chair with Robbie beside me half asleep. Well being the Imp that I am I would quietly whisper to Robbie "Get the cat" and all hell would break loose with cats flying in every direction. I though it was funny, ex. didn't.

Camac.

Oh, this reminds me of a trick my brother and I played on my Dad once -- he was napping on the couch with the cat draped over his head, both of them zonked out sleeping, and we walked past them and were just standing there looking at them, and then my brother whispered "Let's go run the can opener." smile.gif And we did. WHOOOOO!

The greatest dogs are those medium-sized mixes, collie/lab, or collie/shepherd, with the longish silky fur and black-and-tan markings. People often call them things like "Shep" or "Buddy." Their whole soul is in their eyes. They are fantastic companions, intelligent and sensitive to your mood, not too barky, but protective and fine watchdogs, patient with babies and small kids. Big enough to feel like a dog, but small enough to curl up with you on the couch while you read. When I'm in a place where I can have a dog again, I will be looking for one of these.
PMEmail Poster               
flora 
Posted: 22-Jan-2009, 05:36 PM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian

ZodiacAsh

Realm: Tangerine, Florida

female

Gosh we have had all kinds. From Great danes, irish setters, dobermans, beagles, irish wolfhound and Boston bulldogs. But I think the smartest are dogs of mixed breeds. Right now we have a german shepherd-rotweiler and a chocolate lab-german shorthair. It seems funny but the only danger we have from the german shepherd mutt is if you get in his way while he is running away from something. He is a big baby and great with the grandchildren. Where as the lab mix can get too excited and might bite a stranger. Both weight about 80 pounds but when you try to give them a bath they both become dead weight and it takes both my husband and myself to lift them into a tub.

There is nothing like coming home to such a loving animal though. Good luck in your search.

Flora

--------------------
"Nature always wears the colors of the spirit." -
Ralph Waldo Emerson

Forget not that the earth delights to feel your bare feet and the winds long to play with your hair.
K. Gibran

In every walk with nature one receives far more than he seeks.
John Muir

"Climb the mountains and get their good tidings. Nature's peace will flow into you as sunshine flows into trees. The winds will blow their own freshness into you, and the storms their energy, while cares will drop off like autumn leaves."
John Muir
PMEmail Poster               
Shenaniganz247 
Posted: 25-Jan-2009, 02:24 AM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian

ZodiacAsh

Realm: Wise, VA

male

Everyone has some amazing and beautiful dogs that that have posted and some excellent stories. I am quite set in my ways about the dog i want. After seeing one of these lil guys in person and then reading up about their temperment and attitude i don't think I could not get one. Plus the breeder is probably just going to give me one instead of me having to pay for it which is even better.

I'm hoping the house will be done with the remodeling in early March and I can go get another look at it and decide if I want to take it. I"m wanting an inside dog and this dog fits the bill. The house is close to the road so i'm not wanting an outside dog but I have a small yard I can still take the lil guy out and play with and make sure he doesn't get hit by a car.

Keep the stories and pictures coming everyone, you can never get enough of dogs, they are man's best friend after all smile.gif

--------------------
ALBA GU BRATH
PMEmail Poster               
0 User(s) are reading this topic (0 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll

Celtic RadioTM broadcasts through Live365.com and StreamLicensing.com which are officially licensed under SoundExchange, ASCAP, BMI, SESAC and SOCAN.
©2014 Celtic Radio Network, Highlander Radio, Celtic Moon, Celtic Dance, Ye O' Celtic Pub and Celt-Rock-Radio.
All rights and trademarks reserved. Read our Privacy Policy.
Celtic Graphics ©2014, Cari Buziak

Link to CelticRadio.net!
Link to CelticRadio.net
View Broadcast Status and Statistics!

Best Viewed With IE 8.0 (1680 x 1050 Resolution), Javascript & Cookies Enabled.

[Home] [Top]

Celtic Hearts Gallery | Celtic Mates Dating | My Celtic Friends | Celtic Music Radio | Family Heraldry | Medival Kingdom | Top Celtic Sites | Web Celt Blog | Video Celt