> Carmina Gadelica, Collection of old folk tales online
Bookmark and Share
Ross 
Posted: 21-Nov-2008, 10:28 PM
Quote Post

Servant

Group: Celtic Nation
ZodiacReed

Iím sorry. I hope Iím not insulting your intelligence by pointing out things that are, in all likelihood, apparent.
PMEmail Poster               
jayhenson 
Posted: 21-Nov-2008, 11:00 PM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian

ZodiacHawthorn

Realm: Royse City, Texas USA

male

I will be the first to stand up and admit it is not apparent to me. I do not speak gaidhlig and I don't have enough experience in literature study to catch the nuances that you are pointing out. I do read a lot, I was a very early reader and have always scored very high in reading comprehension. I find the things you are pointing out very fascinating and i thank you for pointing it out even if you feel you may be dumbing it down or pointing out the obvious. I see that the way you approach this whole subject is way beyond me (hurts a bit to admit it since I do love to read so much). But, even though I do not seem to have the learning that would allow me to be as adept at seeing the intricacies of what the writings may mean or what they may have originally intended versus what the translation turns out to be, I am able to follow along (mostly) with what you see and how you are able to explain it.

Thank you for your patience

Jay
PMEmail PosterMy Photo Album               View My Space Profile.
Ross 
Posted: 22-Nov-2008, 04:28 PM
Quote Post

Servant

ZodiacReed

Jay,

Iíve been a technical analyst for thirty years, so thatís what I tend to gravitate to. My habitual response is to explain it allÖ a bit overbearing perhaps.

Iíd be interested in your impressions of this set of verse. Is it pagan? Is it Christian? I think itís spoken in the innocence of traditional and cultural contexts rather than as a formulated subversion of Christianity. Thereís a balance a natural aspect to it that I find powerful.

I'm sure Stoirmeil will enlighten us with nuances that neither of us has contemplated.
PMEmail Poster               
jayhenson 
Posted: 22-Nov-2008, 08:31 PM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian

ZodiacHawthorn

Realm: Royse City, Texas USA

male

If you are referring to the poem you posted previously about the moon, I think it could be taken as either. The speaker could be using it in a totally christian context with "moon" and his personalization of it being nothing more than a humble christian man opening his heart to a constant reminder of Gods awesome and unfathomable creations (Earth, moon, sky, etc...) Just as a Sea Captain could talk to the Sea as a person or as a lover while knowing it is not really a person or his lover but fills an emotional role as such for his understanding of how he feels towards it.
Or, it could be a person who is working to be humble and sing praises to the lord but still puts out a saucer of milk so the goblins won't bother his house, throws salt over his shoulder, knocks on wood, and has a horseshoe over every opening. For him, the moon is still his godly mistress and represents a clinging to the forces his heart tells him are there but his mind may be telling him are blasphemy.
Or, it could just be a pretty poem in which the speaker never gave it a seconds thought but used the familiar term towards the moon because it sounded nice....

Jay smile.gif
PMEmail PosterMy Photo Album               View My Space Profile.
stoirmeil 
Posted: 25-Nov-2008, 08:34 PM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian

ZodiacBirch

Realm: New York

I haven't deserted you -- have some things piling up on me with work. Back very soon.
stoirmeil
PMEmail Poster               
0 User(s) are reading this topic (0 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll

Celtic RadioTM broadcasts through Live365.com and StreamLicensing.com which are officially licensed under SoundExchange, ASCAP, BMI, SESAC and SOCAN.
©2014 Celtic Radio Network, Highlander Radio, Celtic Moon, Celtic Dance, Ye O' Celtic Pub and Celt-Rock-Radio.
All rights and trademarks reserved. Read our Privacy Policy.
Celtic Graphics ©2014, Cari Buziak

Link to CelticRadio.net!
Link to CelticRadio.net
View Broadcast Status and Statistics!

Best Viewed With IE 8.0 (1680 x 1050 Resolution), Javascript & Cookies Enabled.

[Home] [Top]

Celtic Hearts Gallery | Celtic Mates Dating | My Celtic Friends | Celtic Music Radio | Family Heraldry | Medival Kingdom | Top Celtic Sites | Web Celt Blog | Video Celt