Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll

> What Branch Of The Military Is Best And Why?
Bookmark and Share
Rindy 
Posted: 25-Nov-2008, 09:27 PM
Quote Post

Peasant

Group: Celtic Nation
ZodiacBirch

female

Thank you Jay. I love reading about all of this keep going if you want. Are you sure they can have cookies? lol..I have a lot to learn here. Sorry for my ignorance.

Thanks for filling me in on things everyone!

Slainte
PMEmail Poster               
piobmhorpiper 
Posted: 26-Jan-2009, 07:43 AM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian

ZodiacAsh

Realm: Ontario Canada

male

Rindy congratulations to you and your family. I salute the new Marine and wish this person well in this new career. I now little of the armed services in the US other than what you see in the movies. Here's a little history of some of my family's involvement with the military.
My Grandfather and Great Uncles fought in WWI and WWII. In WWI he was with The Grey Regiment Infantry Battalion and spent most of the war dodging mortars and snipers on a motorcycle to deliver intelligence from the front line to the command post. He got blown off his bike with a mortar shell when The Canadians battled for Vimy Ridge.
WWII saw him fighting with The Toronto Scottish Regiment, Captain of a machine gun unit. He was sent home after six months when shrapnel from his injury from the previous war started to move around his body. He and all of my uncles survived the ordeal of war and very seldom ever talked of it.
My father at the time was too young to enlist but served with The 48th Highlanders Reserve unit at Camp Borden during WWII. I spent some time through 1981-1986 with The Haistings And Prince Edward Regiment Reserve Pipband. This is probably the most storied regiment in Canada and holds The most battle honours awarded to a Canadian Regiment.
Commonly called ``The Plow Jockeys`` by the rest of the Canadian and British Regiments During WWI & WWII because they all came from rural farming communities in Southern Ontario. they were renowned for their ferocity and determination in battle and became known as ``THE REGIMENT``. You can check out their web site here if anyone is interested in learning more. The Regiment

--------------------
The Scots of course insist that the pipes produce music. But the point is after all not too important. For those who love them, the pipes can evoke more vividly than any other instrument, high emotion, they can inspire valor, and tell of tragic tales of battles long ago. They can call forth merriment or sentiment. It does not matter what the sound is called, those who are deaf to its merits would not understand anyway.
user posted image
user posted image
PMEmail PosterUsers WebsiteMy Photo Album               
Camac
Posted: 26-Jan-2009, 09:31 AM
Quote Post

Main: Registration
Questions: Help
Important: Rules

Zodiac

piobmhorpiper;

The "Hasty P's" are a most Honoured and renowned Regiment. My step-dad served in the 48th reserves from 49 to 52. Can still picture him going to the armoury in his kilt. He also had the same problem as your grandfather in that he recieved sharpnel wounds to the head in 41 and after the war sometimes they would move around and he'd pass out. Took them to his grave.

"ALL HONOUR TO THE FALLEN"
Camac.

oldraven 
Posted: 26-Jan-2009, 12:01 PM
Quote Post

The Protector of the Unknown
Group Icon

Group: Scotland
ZodiacHazel

Realm: Guysborough Co., Nova Scotia

male

No matter the branch, the best job in the military is the job of a Peace Keeper. Not looking for a fight, but looking to end one.

--------------------
Caw

"I am a Canadian by birth, but I am a Highlander by blood and feel under an obligation to do all I can for the sake of the Highlanders and their literature.... I have never yet spoken a word of English to any of my children. They can speak as much English as they like to others, but when they talk to me they have to talk in Gaelic."

-Alexander Maclean Sinclair of Goshen (protector of Gaelic Culture)

We need more Stan Rogers.

jams
PMEmail PosterUsers Website               
Camac
Posted: 26-Jan-2009, 12:46 PM
Quote Post

Zodiac

oldraven;
Your right the best is "PEACE KEEPING' but of late we seem to have given up that job to be 'PEACE MAKERS"

Camac.

Sėmeag 
Posted: 26-Feb-2009, 03:10 PM
Quote Post

Chieftain of the Clan

ZodiacHawthorn

Realm: Sassan

female

I don't know about the services in the United States, but my family are all Air Force, having serve, and continuing to serve in Australia.

I have only one uncle in the Army, and he married into the family. To my mind, Air Force is the armed service of choice. I had intended to join when I left school, but the fates had other ideas. wink.gif

--------------------
Tha mi'n dochas gu bheil an eadar theangachadh ceart!
PMEmail Poster               
Camac
Posted: 26-Feb-2009, 04:18 PM
Quote Post

Zodiac

Simeag;

I have always preferred the Army and for the following; being in the Navy or Marines and could possibly entail death by drowning and I don't much relish the thought of being fish food. In the Air Force it could entail being shot out of the sky thus becoming a spat on the ground indistiguishable from all the other bird dropings. In the Army if I got shot, blown up, run over by a tank at least I didn't have far to drop being as it were rooted to Terra Firma. Yeah the Armys' the best. More places to hide.

Camac.

Madadh 
Posted: 27-Feb-2009, 06:13 AM
Quote Post

Lord High Hound of all Ireland
Group Icon

Group: Founder
ZodiacReed

Realm: Maryland

male

I am from a long line of service to the Army. Why I even have a great-great-great uncle who deserted from the British Army to fight for the Union in the Civil war....God bless the Irish.

I have a Son who was and Infantryman (in Iraq) and a Daughter who was a Marine.

But I tried to get both of them to join the air force. I only have one reason for that.........It is the only branch of the service that makes its officers go and fight.

--------------------
-----------------------
Céad Mile Fáilte

May God hold you in the hallows of his hands

American First, Irish Always

user posted image
PMEmail PosterUsers Website My Photo Album               View My Space Profile.
Dogshirt 
Posted: 27-Feb-2009, 08:00 AM
Quote Post

Lord of the Northern Plains
Group Icon

ZodiacElder

Realm: Washington THE State

male

Simeag;

I have always preferred the Army and for the following; being in the Navy or Marines and could possibly entail death by drowning and I don't much relish the thought of being fish food. In the Air Force it could entail being shot out of the sky thus becoming a spat on the ground indistiguishable from all the other bird dropings. In the Army if I got shot, blown up, run over by a tank at least I didn't have far to drop being as it were rooted to Terra Firma. Yeah the Armys' the best. More places to hide.

Camac.

I have always felt the same way. I can't fly, and while I can swim I've never cared for it. So the only logical choice was the Army. Keep my feet planted firmly on the ground!

beer_mug.gif

--------------------
Hoka Hey!
The more Liberals I meet, the more I like my dogs!
PMEmail PosterMy Photo Album               
MacEoghainn 
Posted: 27-Feb-2009, 01:08 PM
Quote Post

Fear-leanmhainn an Rėgh
Group Icon

ZodiacHazel

Realm: Cape Coral, Florida, USA, Planet Earth

male

I was sure we had decided the Navy was the best branch of the service (in any country)!!!

note.gif note.gif Anchors Aweigh my boys, Anchors Aweigh!!! note.gif note.gif

--------------------
MacE
AKA
Steve Ewing

I know that my Redeemer lives, and that in the end he will stand upon the earth. Job 19:25

"Non sibi sed patriae!"

Reviresco (I grow strong again)
Clan MacEwen motto

Audaciter (Audacity)
My Ewing Family Motto
(descendants of Baron William Ewing of Glasgow, born about 1630)

"Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak out and remove all doubt." Abraham Lincoln

"Igitur qui desiderat pacem, praeparet bellum." from "Epitoma Rei Militaris," by Vegetius

PMEmail PosterUsers Website My Photo Album               
Camac
Posted: 27-Feb-2009, 03:36 PM
Quote Post

Zodiac

MacEoghainn;

I will give you that point but only if you are talking about the Mother of all Navies and the children sprung from her THE ROYAL NAVY, ROYAL CANADIAN NAVY ROYAL AUSTRALIAN NAVY ETC. ETC. ETC. angel_not.gif

Camac

MacEoghainn 
Posted: 27-Feb-2009, 05:47 PM
Quote Post

Fear-leanmhainn an Rėgh
Group Icon

ZodiacHazel

Realm: Cape Coral, Florida, USA, Planet Earth

male

QUOTE (Camac @ 27-Feb-2009, 03:36 PM)
MacEoghainn;

I will give you that point but only if you are talking about the Mother of all Navies and the children sprung from her THE ROYAL NAVY, ROYAL CANADIAN NAVY ROYAL AUSTRALIAN NAVY ETC. ETC. ETC. angel_not.gif

Camac

"I have not yet begun to fight" John Paul Jones

Do you mean the Navy this guy kept embarrassing? unsure.gif

Seriously, We Yank "Squids"always appreciated our Limey, Aussie, Kiwi, and Canadian brothers in arms!!! thumbs_up.gif
PMEmail PosterUsers Website My Photo Album               
Camac
Posted: 28-Feb-2009, 12:06 PM
Quote Post

Zodiac

MacEoghainn;

In 1945 Canada had the 3rd largest Navy in the the world with 471 Combat Vessels. To-day 64 years later we are ranked 15th with 34 Combat Vessels. Mexico is 14th with 93 Combat Vessels. Bloody disgusting isn't it and we have the longest coast line in the world bordering on 3 Oceans.

Camac.

englishmix 
Posted: 01-Mar-2009, 12:13 AM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian

ZodiacBirch

Realm: My place

Hey, what about the Coast Guard?

Been reading the interesting posts, but missing out on the Coast Guard. Anyone got input on 'em?
PMEmail Poster                
Camac
Posted: 01-Mar-2009, 08:50 AM
Quote Post

Zodiac

englishmix;

I didn't mention them because the Canadian Coast Guard is a civilian organization.

Camac.

0 User(s) are reading this topic (0 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll

Celtic RadioTM broadcasts through Live365.com and StreamLicensing.com which are officially licensed under SoundExchange, ASCAP, BMI, SESAC and SOCAN.
Š2014 Celtic Radio Network, Highlander Radio, Celtic Moon, Celtic Dance, Ye O' Celtic Pub and Celt-Rock-Radio.
All rights and trademarks reserved. Read our Privacy Policy.
Celtic Graphics Š2014, Cari Buziak

Link to CelticRadio.net!
Link to CelticRadio.net
View Broadcast Status and Statistics!

Best Viewed With IE 8.0 (1680 x 1050 Resolution), Javascript & Cookies Enabled.

[Home] [Top]

Celtic Hearts Gallery | Celtic Mates Dating | My Celtic Friends | Celtic Music Radio | Family Heraldry | Medival Kingdom | Top Celtic Sites | Web Celt Blog | Video Celt