jime307 
Posted: 29-Sep-2008, 04:21 PM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian

Group: Celtic Nation
ZodiacReed

Realm: Jackson Hole, Wyoming USA

male

Well, I haven't got around to editing it so it's still needs streamlining but here's my article from Historium.org on the Persian Wars I have full right to post it, because hey it's not plaugerism if I wrote it right laugh.gif Some facts are off I know, but hey it's a start I'll probably end up adding more about Marathon and whatnot

I'm sure everyone has heard stories of the incredible Persian wars in ancient Greece, whether it be about Thermopylae or Marathon everyone knows something. Now allow me if you will, to expand upon your knowledge on this interesting subject.
These are the two general areas that each country encompasses, Persia being Asia Minor and stretching up onto Thrace above Greece, (ignore the boundaries on the Map) And Persia was still hungry for more land and so started to conquer islands in Greek waters drawing ever nearer to the Balkan Penninsula. The Persian army was not made up of incredibly well trained troops with top of the line armor and weapons, it did however have immense numbers greatly dwarfing the Greeks. The Standard Persian troop would be equipped with a sword, a woven wicker shield and maybe leather armor.
    The Whole Persian wars started when a Persian adviser for an Island ruled by Persia requested help from the Greeks to Rise up in the rebellion against Persia, the Greeks helped him fight and win as long as he was part of Greece and burned down a city in Persia . But the Greeks lost interest and returned home. Persia however quickly reconquered the island and started to grow closer to the Greeks. And the Persians attempted to invade Greece, and there was only one way in, Thermopylae, or The Hot Gates, as the Greeks referred to it.
      The Spartans, a very renowned militaristic City-State who had an army of 300, the Phoenicians, a not well known City State which nearly matched Sparta in fearlessness and strength who had an army of 2-3000, and the Athenians who had a land army of 5000 and a good fleet of ships as well, made a stand against the Persians who's army was nearly one million troops, not including it's large navy. After the first day both armies had felt great losses although the Persians had taken a loss much higher than they thought possible. The Spartan King, Leonidas, who was also the head General of the Greek armies sent the Phoenicians and the Athenians home to prepare the rest of the Armies for the Persians attack. The Athenians left gladly but contrary to popular belief the Phoenicnians refused to leave and also made a stand against the Persians With the Spartans. For the next several days the Greeks made the Persians pay dearly, for the Infantry's light wicker shields and leather armor stood no chance against the Greeks strong Bronze shields and armor.
      The Greeks held of the Persians for three or four days and would've gone longer except a Spartan traitor told the Persians of a secret path leading around the Hot gates, and when the Persian infantry attacked in large numbers in suprise from behind, the Greeks were defeated very quickly. The Persians had great losses and yet it had not seemingly dented their forces Although the Cavalry had been damaged greatly.
        But when the Persians meet the Greek League, the Largest army of Greeks ever assembled at Platea it was obvious that they had picked a force to be reckoned with. There were nearly 188,000 Greeks and although they had no Cavalry and few bowmen, their superior armor and weapons gave them a great upper hand. A large deal of the Persian cavalry had be depleted at Thermopylae and so it was truly infantry versus infantry. After nearly eight days of putting off the battle, the two armies collided in a crash of ringing blades and bloody death. The Persians were simply stunned by the ferocity of the Greek warriors and were losing masses of men.        
         The Persians were still confident, however, in their Navy, but once again they were too cocky and their enormous ships could not hold against the small, fast, easily manuvered ships that the Athenians had, and their navy fell quickly. The Persians had to face the facts, they had truly bitten off more than they could chew and soon had to retreat. The Greeks celebrating in joy at the amazing feat they had just accomplished. Soon after the defeat in Greece, Persia fell due to civil strife, and it's land was divided once again into small nations again.

History articles and More on http://www.Historium.org/

--------------------

St. Patrick's Day countdown banner
PMEmail PosterView My Photographs               View My Space Profile.
0 User(s) are reading this topic (0 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Reply to this topic Fast ReplyStart new topicStart Poll

© Celtic Radio Network
Celtic Radio is a TorontoCast radio station that is based in Canada.
TorontoCast provides music license coverage through SOCAN.
All rights and trademarks reserved. Read our Privacy Policy.

[Home] [Top]