flora 
Posted: 23-Sep-2008, 10:22 AM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian

Group: Celtic Nation
ZodiacAsh

Realm: Tangerine, Florida

female

I have two dogs. They are mixed breed, one is labrador-german short hair pointer and the other is rotweiler-german shepherd.

We were recently broken into and robbed so I was able to convince my husband to allow the huge dogs to stay in the house. And since I was layed off from my job since March I am at home more.

Stating all that so I can explain why I have never noticed this before. My dogs have watched my daily behavior and know that when I am ready to go outside to work in the yard or garden that I always heat up a cup of coffee in the microwave. Whenever the beep on the microwave goes off, they pop up and wait at the door ready to go out. It makes you think about your behavior that you do daily.

Does any one else have similar experiences?

Flora

--------------------
"Nature always wears the colors of the spirit." -
Ralph Waldo Emerson

Forget not that the earth delights to feel your bare feet and the winds long to play with your hair.
K. Gibran

In every walk with nature one receives far more than he seeks.
John Muir

"Climb the mountains and get their good tidings. Nature's peace will flow into you as sunshine flows into trees. The winds will blow their own freshness into you, and the storms their energy, while cares will drop off like autumn leaves."
John Muir
PMEmail Poster               
Swanny 
Posted: 23-Sep-2008, 05:07 PM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian

ZodiacBirch

Realm: Two Rivers, Alaska

male

OMG, dogs are GREAT students of human behavior and many of the things we do cue their behaviors.

Most of my dogs live outside (I have 10 adults and 3 puppies). They know that when I turn on the outside lights without walking out onto the porch it means I'm getting ready to feed or water them. When I start my car they ignore me, but when I start the truck to warm up the whole yard "goes off" in a roar of excitement, because they know that means I'm planning to take them somewhere, most likely to do something really fun like a training run or visit to their buddies at their respective boarding kennels.

Most of my dogs rotate through the house, taking turns as "house dogs" and most of the adults have figured out that when I start undressing it is bed time, and most will trot down to the bedroom and "kennel up" in their airline crates or on my bed without a single word on my part. All of them watch my hands. If I leave the house carrying a white bucket the puppies get all excited while the adults sigh and settle in - they know I'm bringing food for the little guys, but not the adults.

Even the weight in the sled cues different behaviors. When the sled is relatively lightly loaded they seem to know it will be a fairly short run (two hours or less) so they all but run amok, maintaining a very fast pace for the first two or three miles. When the sled is more heavily loaded they seem to know it will be a longer run, maybe even a camping trip. They'll dash out of the yard as they always do but slow to their working trot within the first few minutes, usually after only a quarter to a half mile. It's not a huge weight difference, either. No more than 20 lb or so.

I think they even look at the clothing I'm wearing. If I come out to do chores relatively lightly dressed they don't pay a lot of attention, but if I come out wearing my heavier gear they get all excited, knowing that it means we'll be going out for a run.

The ability of dog's to read subtle differences in human body language has been well studied and is well documented. Dog's know things, and much of what they know is because they study humans so closely.

Swanny

--------------------
user posted image "You can't run with the big dogs if you still pee like a puppy".

Stardancer Historical Freight Dogs, Two Rivers, Alaska.

"Aut pax, aut bellum" (Clan Gunn)
PMEmail Poster               
flora 
Posted: 23-Sep-2008, 05:18 PM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian

ZodiacAsh

female

Oh if we could only hear their thoughts.

That should be a new t.v. show. Humans as seen through the eyes of your pets. Scary!!!!

Flora
PMEmail Poster               
valpal59 
Posted: 23-Sep-2008, 07:29 PM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian

ZodiacHolly

Realm: Texas Panhandle

female

We have a dog, Bailey, and a cat , Spike. Sometimes the look on their faces tell you what they are thinking. rolleyes.gif

--------------------
user posted imageuser posted imageuser posted image

"He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog. You are his life, his love, his leader. He will be yours, faithful and true, to the last beat of his heart.

You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion."

Author Unknown
PMEmail Poster               View my Facebook Profile.View My Space Profile.
Patch 
Posted: 23-Sep-2008, 09:38 PM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian
Group Icon

Group: Scotland
ZodiacIvy

Realm: America, Mid West

male

My dog always gives himself away when he does something wrong. He runs to the coat closet at the front door and since he can not get completely inside he figures if he can not see me, I can not see him. Today he ate a package of croissants while I was gone and he has terrible gas. It will be a long night!

Slàinte,    

Patch    
PMEmail Poster               
valpal59 
Posted: 24-Sep-2008, 08:46 AM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian

ZodiacHolly

female

It's amazing that they think they can be invisible.
When I come home and I am not greeted at the door, I know something has been destroyed. Bailey has a fascination for anything that has stuffing in it. With every stuffed animal or the decorative pillows on the bed, Bailey gets a look of pure bliss on her face as she tears out the stuffing bit by bit.
delainesunshine1978 
Posted: 29-Jan-2009, 01:51 PM
Quote Post

Chieftain of the Clan

ZodiacReed

Realm: Lake Stevens Wa

female

I read that dogs pick up on what we are doing easily, and when we are about to leave is no execption! The thing I was reading said to go through the motions of leaving, shoes, coat ect... but dont leave. Do this throughout the day to throw the dog off.....

I didnt do that! So every single time I head to the door, even so much as look at my shoes or touch my coat the dog is suddenly filled with crazy excitment!

I feel so bad when I am the only one leaving and he got all crzy just to see me exit without him :0

--------------------
Follow this link to Dragon site and click the eggs before they can die please :)

http://dragcave.net/account

user posted image
PMEmail Poster               
valpal59 
Posted: 29-Jan-2009, 02:19 PM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian

ZodiacHolly

female

Delainesunshine1978,
Bailey also gets the "crazy excitement" when hubby and I go to work everyday. Sometimes I feel guilty for bringing her home when we are gone most of the time. It is just her and the 4 cats at home during the day.

Val
Patch 
Posted: 11-Feb-2009, 03:40 PM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian
Group Icon

Group: Scotland
ZodiacIvy

Realm: America, Mid West

male

I came home just a while ago in a driving rain and found a Jack Russell in my drive way. Fortunately he had a local rabies vaccination tag and I was able to get him home. My street has enough traffic that he could easily have become "road pizza!"

He knew where he lived when he got in front of his house.

Slàinte,    

Patch    

PMEmail Poster               
flora 
Posted: 11-Feb-2009, 05:50 PM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian

ZodiacAsh

female

Everyone was talking about how their mother used to correct them in another forum and I believe Camac said his mother used a wooden spoon. I thought I was the only mom that did that! When I even just pick up the wooden spoon to show my grandson that I mean business, my dogs tuck tail and head knowing someone is in trouble.

Flora
PMEmail Poster               
delainesunshine1978 
Posted: 11-Feb-2009, 08:17 PM
Quote Post

Chieftain of the Clan

ZodiacReed

Realm: Lake Stevens Wa

female

Val,
I am sorry I didnt realize you made a comment here before! At least your dogs have the cats even if they dont play!

And Flora, your comment made me laugh!!!!!!!
PMEmail Poster               
valpal59 
Posted: 12-Feb-2009, 10:30 AM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian

ZodiacHolly

female

QUOTE (flora @ 11-Feb-2009, 04:50 PM)
Everyone was talking about how their mother used to correct them in another forum and I believe Camac said his mother used a wooden spoon. I thought I was the only mom that did that! When I even just pick up the wooden spoon to show my grandson that I mean business, my dogs tuck tail and head knowing someone is in trouble.

Flora

With all of the old dogs we used to have it was the flyswatter. Pick it up to kill a fly and dogs disappeared. biggrin.gif

Val
Faerydreamer 
Posted: 18-Feb-2009, 07:53 PM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian

ZodiacReed

Realm: Coal Country, PA

female

My dogs run when I pick up the spray bottle that I use for the birds. Occassionally, I have used it to get the dogs to stop doing something. I have attached a link to my Flickr site for pics of my critters.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/barskeyszoo/

--------------------
Lady Faerydreamer

user posted image
PMEmail Poster               View My Space Profile.
englishmix 
Posted: 18-Feb-2009, 08:33 PM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian

ZodiacBirch

Realm: My place

THE SPRAY BOTTLE! Pleasant thoughts Faerydreamer. wink.gif When we pick up the spray bottle, our pomeranian rears her head back and looks in utter terror. We have used it rarely to stop those times of incessant barking. She is much better behaved and just picking up the spray bottle brings her into "quiet" compliance.
PMEmail Poster                
0 User(s) are reading this topic (0 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll

Celtic RadioTM broadcasts through Live365.com and StreamLicensing.com which are officially licensed under SoundExchange, ASCAP, BMI, SESAC and SOCAN.
©2014 Celtic Radio Network, Highlander Radio, Celtic Moon, Celtic Dance, Ye O' Celtic Pub and Celt-Rock-Radio.
All rights and trademarks reserved. Read our Privacy Policy.
Celtic Graphics ©2014, Cari Buziak

Link to CelticRadio.net!
Link to CelticRadio.net
View Broadcast Status and Statistics!

Best Viewed With IE 8.0 (1680 x 1050 Resolution), Javascript & Cookies Enabled.

[Home] [Top]

Celtic Hearts Gallery | Celtic Mates Dating | My Celtic Friends | Celtic Music Radio | Family Heraldry | Medival Kingdom | Top Celtic Sites | Web Celt Blog | Video Celt