LadyOfAvalon 
Posted: 03-Dec-2008, 01:11 PM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian
Group Icon

Group: Scotland
ZodiacVine

female

Just wanted to add here in the Grand Parents thread that my dear departed grand-maman that you can see the picture in my first post.

Was where we had the best and joyful Xmas gathering. She would have the whole family at her place.I think I described a bit of it.

It was a small place where she lived but we were all squizzed in and boy we had fun.All the kids would gather in the small living room playing with toys that she always kept for us. During the whole year she would knit some mittens for all of us and tuques as well as wool slippers. Those were our gifts.

There were songs and music,which was hell for my father for he hated with a vengeance, his gift from my grand mother was a sermon every time....she was much shorter than him but boy he wouldn't say a word while she was blasting him.
But I guess in a way she loved him and he loved her.

I miss those days, memories is what they are now,but good ones.

LOA smile.gif

--------------------
"Few men are brave:many become so through training and discipline."
Flavius Vegetius Renatus

"I think a hero is an ordinary individual who finds strenght to persevere and endure in spite of overwhelming obstacles."
Christopher Reeve
PM My Photo Album               
piobmhorpiper 
Posted: 06-Feb-2009, 12:20 PM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian

Group: Celtic Nation
ZodiacAsh

Realm: Ontario Canada

male

Well my wife and I became grandparents in April 2007. Grace will be 2 this april and our daughter Jenny is going to bless us with a brother or sister for Grace this August.
And our son, who we never thought would settle down anounced back in October that he will bless us with a grandchild this April!
I keep busy at least 2 days a week granfathering Grace while Jen works as a nurse at our hospital. I won't have that oprotunity to do the same for my son as they live an hour and a half away. But there will be lots of weekend visits!

--------------------
The Scots of course insist that the pipes produce music. But the point is after all not too important. For those who love them, the pipes can evoke more vividly than any other instrument, high emotion, they can inspire valor, and tell of tragic tales of battles long ago. They can call forth merriment or sentiment. It does not matter what the sound is called, those who are deaf to its merits would not understand anyway.
user posted image
user posted image
PMEmail PosterUsers WebsiteMy Photo Album               
LadyOfAvalon 
Posted: 06-Feb-2009, 07:57 PM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian
Group Icon

ZodiacVine

female

Congratulations to you piobmhorpiper and your wife...

I am sure you both will be the "perfect" grandpapa and grandmaman for these little treasure...and fo course they will steal your heart and won't be able to stop yourselves spoiling them rotten...and that's the way it should be.

Keep us posted on your granfathering days and it would be nice to see the face of the little cherub!!!

LOA smile.gif
PM My Photo Album               
piobmhorpiper 
Posted: 07-Feb-2009, 09:07 AM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian

ZodiacAsh

male

Thank you Lady of Avalon, I quite enjoy my time with "Zing". I call her that because my daughter named her Grace. You see when Jenny was little I always sang her to sleep with Amazing Grace, so she honoured that by naming her Grace,. So Amazing Grace, I shortened to Zing. And boy does she zing around the house now. Like all toddlers once they find their feet and balance.....non stop running. Here's a picture of our Zing mugging for the camera wearing Grama's sun glasses.

Attached Image. Works with IE only! (Click thumbnail to expand)
Attached Image (Works with IE Only)
LadyOfAvalon 
Posted: 07-Feb-2009, 12:45 PM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian
Group Icon

ZodiacVine

female

piobmhorpiper,

She's a real "cuty" this one and she'll be a heartbraker....beautiful little rascal.

Thank you for sharing that picture with us.

LOA smile.gif
PM My Photo Album               
Harlot 
Posted: 07-Feb-2009, 01:45 PM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian

ZodiacIvy

Realm: Southern Michiagn USA

female

Right now I am doing my grandma thing. My son had gotten married in June of last year and give me 2 new grandsons,ages 15 and 10. The oldest one Charles lives with his dad in Big Rapids, MI. so I don't get to see him much. I brought him a Valentine card and a little box of sour candy (he likes that stuff yucky.gif) and I will mail it to him. Now inside the card I wrote a little note telling him that I am very happy to be his new grandma and because I am there are some things he is going to have to get used too such as cards on Holidays. The youngest one Michael lives with mom and my son so I see him all the time. On Friday nights he comes and stays over night and we watch Ghost Adventures and Most Haunted. He has ADHD(Attention and Hyperactive Disorder) and I really don't mind him here at all, as my son has the same problem so I was ready for it. They will be giving me another grandchild in June so then I will have a new baby to spoil.

I have 2 other grandchildren by my daughter and son in-law, Andrew Lee 6 and Sarah Rae (all three of us, Sarah, my daughter and I have the same middle name which is short for Raymond after my father) age 3. I am with them every Wedendays night so mom and dad can have sometime just the two of them. The kids an I bake cookies and watch movies take their baths and put them too bed. angel_not.gif

I just love being GRANDMA!!!

--------------------
user posted image
Hopes are towers in the skies Dreams are wings taking flight

The Boundaries which divide Life from Death are at best Shadowy and vague. Who shall say where one ends and the other begins

Photobucket

SLAINTE
PMEmail PosterMy Photo Album               View My Space Profile.
LadyOfAvalon 
Posted: 07-Feb-2009, 03:23 PM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian
Group Icon

ZodiacVine

female

Harlot,

I am sure you are the best grandma ever for your little kids...and it's nice of you to babysit while the parents takes time for themselves...as it is important for them to be on their own sometimes...and also slowly gives the kids the opportunity to see others as well and not be so dependants of their parents.

I use to do some cooking with my grandmother and boy was it fun...I loved her very much.

Thank you for sharing and you too should show up your little rascals face on here.

LOA smile.gif
PM My Photo Album               
delainesunshine1978 
Posted: 08-Feb-2009, 11:07 AM
Quote Post

Chieftain of the Clan

ZodiacReed

Realm: Lake Stevens Wa

female

Lady-of-Avalon I love that your experience with your grandparents was a wonderful one! Honestly I dont know what that must be like as our family was really upside down.

See my grandmother, and I didnt know this at the time, was depressed! She hardly ever left the house. her and my mom treated one another with disrespect. And their house was so gross I hated to go over there.

My mom is now a grandmother to my daughter, and she messed that up so badly that I really do not get why the relationship is so important. To me grandmothers back talk and undermine your authority withy your kids so that you ended up always being the bad guy because 'I' refused to let me overbearing mother let my daughter become so spoiled she would be a terrible kid!

But that was a long time ago! I would love to see a grandmother and her grandchildren actually behave the way it should be! I can imagine the older wise women still attempting to put on lipstick and a pretty dress, and somehow her smile lights up a dark room! And she always would have some gum in her bag and she would bake the most amazing dinners and always make sure you are included in the conversations and not hushed up and ignored!

--------------------
Follow this link to Dragon site and click the eggs before they can die please :)

http://dragcave.net/account

user posted image
PMEmail Poster               
valpal59 
Posted: 08-Feb-2009, 12:18 PM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian

ZodiacHolly

Realm: Texas Panhandle

female

Delainesunshine,
I am so sorry that you missed out on that relationship. I had one set of grandparents that were the greatest. My other grandmother did not have anything to do with us after our parents were divorced.

Val

--------------------
user posted imageuser posted imageuser posted image

"He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog. You are his life, his love, his leader. He will be yours, faithful and true, to the last beat of his heart.

You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion."

Author Unknown
PMEmail Poster               View my Facebook Profile.View My Space Profile.
delainesunshine1978 
Posted: 08-Feb-2009, 02:35 PM
Quote Post

Chieftain of the Clan

ZodiacReed

female

Thank you! I m ok though smile.gif I will make sure that if My daughter makes me a grandmother I will know just how to be!
PMEmail Poster               
piobmhorpiper 
Posted: 09-Feb-2009, 08:54 AM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian

ZodiacAsh

male

There's no time in your childhood like grama or grampa time. I had a lot of both. In the summertime my grandparents of course were early risers and at our cottage during the summer I would always go over and have breakfast with my grandmother. She made the best crabapple jam! We'd have tea and toast with jam and watch Grampa eat his prunes. Later my grandfather would take me fishing, sometimes for the whole day.
I also spent many a night at their house while my paraents were away on business. These are all great memories for me and miss them both to this day. I am going to make sure my grandchildren have happy and fun memories of us as they grow up.
delainesunshine1978 
Posted: 09-Feb-2009, 11:12 AM
Quote Post

Chieftain of the Clan

ZodiacReed

female

piobmhorpiper I could picture all that perfectly! Your grand kids are in for a treat smile.gif

PMEmail Poster               
LadyOfAvalon 
Posted: 11-Feb-2009, 09:49 PM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian
Group Icon

ZodiacVine

female

QUOTE (delainesunshine1978 @ 08-Feb-2009, 11:07 AM)
Lady-of-Avalon I love that your experience with your grandparents was a wonderful one! Honestly I dont know what that must be like as our family was really upside down.

See my grandmother, and I didnt know this at the time, was depressed! She hardly ever left the house. her and my mom treated one another with disrespect. And their house was so gross I hated to go over there.

My mom is now a grandmother to my daughter, and she messed that up so badly that I really do not get why the relationship is so important. To me grandmothers back talk and undermine your authority withy your kids so that you ended up always being the bad guy because 'I' refused to let me overbearing mother let my daughter become so spoiled she would be a terrible kid!

But that was a long time ago! I would love to see a grandmother and her grandchildren actually behave the way it should be! I can imagine the older wise women still attempting to put on lipstick and a pretty dress, and somehow her smile lights up a dark room! And she always would have some gum in her bag and she would bake the most amazing dinners and always make sure you are included in the conversations and not hushed up and ignored!

Delainesunshine,

It is unfortunate but a reality that not all "grandparents" are the very image of wisdom...but that's part of life...we are all humans and different I suppose.

And if I may, I did not have a wonderful experience with my grandparents as I didn't know my grandfathers...my father's father passed away a little after my parents adopted me...I was maybe 2 years old I am not sure but it was very close to that, so I have no recollection what so ever of him only family pictures and my mother's father was the same he passed away a year later or so. I was around 3 so again no recollection of him at all.

My father's mother was not what you would call the "nice" gramma...she was a hard woman, a woman who had 21 children and got married at 15...so what life has she known...nothing but "producing" babies and life in poverty... They were living in the countryside on a farm and my grandfather was a lumberjack...so he was not home often so in a way she brought up all that brood by herself and with the help of her numerous daughters...though a lot of them died young of polio in those days.
Thus my grandmother's life was a hard one with no or pratically no school education and living in isolation from the world...

She was a woman with a lot of prejudice as it was for a lot of people in those days...and as an adopted child...she didn't accept me for who I was...she has always rejected me even as a young kiddo...until the day she died.
Prejudice is ignorance...and she was ignorant to the fact that one doesn't choose where he/she comes from and how he/she was brought into the world. That was not her fault and I can't hold it against her as I have forgiven her a long time ago for all the silent warnings or the insults towards me as she didn't know or even knew better as she was herself brought up with prejudice.

But the grandmother that you see the picture in my first post was a complete opposite of the other...she was my gramma of love...even today I miss her very much as she always told me that I was her beautiful granddaughter with the long golden hair and to never feel otherwise...but she knew it wasn't so in my heart...but I loved her very much as she always accepted me for who I was and where I came from didn't matter to her. I was her little princess.
She was the grandparent whom I had a wonderful experience.

LOA smile.gif
PM My Photo Album               
0 User(s) are reading this topic (0 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll

Celtic RadioTM broadcasts through Live365.com and StreamLicensing.com which are officially licensed under SoundExchange, ASCAP, BMI, SESAC and SOCAN.
2014 Celtic Radio Network, Highlander Radio, Celtic Moon, Celtic Dance, Ye O' Celtic Pub and Celt-Rock-Radio.
All rights and trademarks reserved. Read our Privacy Policy.
Celtic Graphics 2014, Cari Buziak

Link to CelticRadio.net!
Link to CelticRadio.net
View Broadcast Status and Statistics!

Best Viewed With IE 8.0 (1680 x 1050 Resolution), Javascript & Cookies Enabled.

[Home] [Top]

Celtic Hearts Gallery | Celtic Mates Dating | My Celtic Friends | Celtic Music Radio | Family Heraldry | Medival Kingdom | Top Celtic Sites | Web Celt Blog | Video Celt