Quote Post

Lord of the Isthmus, Keeper of the Holy Barbecue
Group Icon

Group: Galicia
ZodiacIvy

Realm: Republica de Panamá

male

I cook quite a bit, especially if I want to eat regular food. laugh.gif

Besides the barbecue stuff as well. Not much sweet stuff though, I just never had much interest in baking things. Maybe because it is too much like work. (I mean the work I do since you have to measure all the ingredients and stuff, but then on the other hand you can taste where you are at without worrying if you are going to poonk out or not, which is unlike work. laugh.gif )

But, just to prove that I am a creative soul, there is a recipe I posted here that I made for the first time a couple of years ago when I was overcome by waves of nostalgia and homesickness.

http://www.geocities.com/commentsfromazuer...e5.html#pumpkin

By the way, a zapallo is a type of squash that resembles a pumpkin except it is uglier to look at and will never become a symbol of autumn here, mainly because there is no autumn here.

Leo

--------------------

Consistency. It's only a virtue if you're not a screwup.

Ita erat quando hic adveni.

Time is a great teacher, but unfortunatley it kills all its pupils. - Hector Berlioz

"No matter where you go, there you are." - R. Young

¡Visté! ¡Te lo dijé!
PMEmail Poster               
Shadows 
Posted: 15-Jul-2003, 07:56 PM
Quote Post

Reader of souls, vision seeker, TROLL
Group Icon

Group: Super Moderator
ZodiacHolly

Realm: The frontier of Penn's Woods

male

QUOTE (Aon_Daonna @ Jul 15 2003, 03:07 PM)
*blush* shadows, I somehow thought you were female wink.gif happy.gif
The interest in cooking and such things seem to be so restricted to females sometimes (although my brother is a really good cook)

I have many interest and hobbies, cooking being one , I also make some of the clothing used in our re-enacting, A well rounded person can take care of themselves under any situation... LOL!

I would make one ugly woman!!!!!! LOL! biggrin.gif

--------------------
I support the separation of church and hate!

IMAGINATION - the freest and largest nation in the world!

One can not profess to be of "GOD" and show intolerence and prejudice towards the beliefs of others.

Am fear nach gleidh na h–airm san t–sith, cha bhi iad aige ’n am a’ chogaidh.
He that keeps not his arms in time of peace will have none in time of war.

"We're all in this together , in the parking lot between faith and fear" ... O.C.M.S.

“Beasts feed; man eats; only the man of intellect knows how to eat well.”

"Without food we are nothing, without history we are lost." - SHADOWS

Is iomadh duine laghach a mhill an Creideamh.
Religion has spoiled many a good man.

The clan MacEwen
PMEmail Poster My Photo Album               
Aon_Daonna 
Posted: 16-Jul-2003, 06:51 AM
Quote Post

The Wolf Lady

Group: Celtic Nation
ZodiacIvy

Realm: Fife, Scotland

female

*lol* I never said cooking is restricted to women only *laughs* it's just soo often to see that men don't have much interest in that..

In my relationship it's necessary for me to cook... I don't survive Craigs food... *grins* well, he always says my sense of taste is to finely develop to appreciate hot food... happy.gif I mean I like indian food and such but not in masses ...

I think we should set up a cooking forum soonish... I have alot of nice German recipes to share.. we cook better that most people think!

Leo, I know that you cook.. I tried your way of making rice =) (and failed wink.gif )

--------------------
Moderator: The Playground (RPG)

Carpe Jugulum
Carved with a twisted smile
An epitaph for sorrow
Sethian - Epitaph

If anybody wants a costum signature, pm me!
PMEmail Poster               
Herrerano 
Posted: 16-Jul-2003, 07:07 AM
Quote Post

Lord of the Isthmus, Keeper of the Holy Barbecue
Group Icon

Group: Galicia
ZodiacIvy

Realm: Republica de Panamá

male

HEY AON, good idea, why don't you start one that is not specific about anything but FOOD, which is one of my favorite things in the world.

Sorry the rice didn't turn out, might have been the type of rice. Here it is almost all medium grain and of course, locally grown. Also you probably had not consumed sufficient beer before attempting the process. laugh.gif (Don't know how anyone can cook with drinking beer at the same time. rolleyes.gif )

Leo
PMEmail Poster               
RavenWing 
Posted: 16-Jul-2003, 10:55 AM
Quote Post

Dorkus Trollus Maximus

ZodiacHazel

Realm: Indiana, USA

female

QUOTE (Aon_Daonna @ Jul 16 2003, 01:51 PM)
I have alot of nice German recipes to share.. we cook better that most people think!

That is the stuff I grew up on (old German family recipes). I would love to see some of your recipes.

--------------------
May all your up's and down's be under the sheets!

Religion is for those who are afraid of going to Hell. Spirituality is for those who have already been there.
- Anonymous
PMEmail Poster               
free2Bme 
Posted: 16-Jul-2003, 11:43 AM
Quote Post

Queen of Janetania

ZodiacIvy

Realm: Gulf Coast of Florida

female

I think a FOOD FORUM is a terrific idea, because it seems like all of our posts of late seem to gravitate towards culinary interests in the end anyways!

(Just like my posts all tend to gravitate towards kilts and sporrans! biggrin.gif )

--------------------
RPG Anne O'Calahan
PMEmail Poster               
Aon_Daonna 
Posted: 16-Jul-2003, 02:04 PM
Quote Post

The Wolf Lady

ZodiacIvy

female

That one didn't *grins*

Well, I asked Paul to maybe set one up in the special interest part but he never answered as of now... happy.gif he's got enough to do anyway tho

@Ravenwing: Well most of my recipes are adapted to the situation normally, I don't really cook after recipe once I found out how it works, in the minute I found that out I usually store it in my head, but I can give guidelines, if you want some german recipes just ask me (that goes for everybody btw)...
I know alot of french and austrian/swiss recipes.

Btw, do you have all your Mead recipes typed down somewhere? If so, could you send me a copy by e-mail? Just click on that e-mail link below my signature.. I would be very grateful for that happy.gif
PMEmail Poster               
RavenWing 
Posted: 17-Jul-2003, 06:52 AM
Quote Post

Dorkus Trollus Maximus

ZodiacHazel

Realm: Indiana, USA

female

Aon - thanks! All the mead recipes were cut and paste, so I don;t think I have them anywhere, but I will look. I can't remember. unsure.gif
PMEmail Poster               
Aon_Daonna 
Posted: 17-Jul-2003, 12:41 PM
Quote Post

The Wolf Lady

ZodiacIvy

female

oooh that would be wonderful, thank you! happy.gif
PMEmail Poster               
zeryx 
Posted: 04-Nov-2006, 06:28 AM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian

ZodiacHawthorn

Realm: Dunfermline ~ Scotland

female

Ingredients:
4 oz shredded suet or margarine (marge makes a lighter dumpling)
8 oz (2½ cups) flour
4 oz oatmeal
3 oz sugar
Rounded teaspoon baking powder
8 oz mixed currants/sultanas/chopped raisins
One or 1½ teaspoon each of ground cinnamon and mixed spice
One teaspoon golden syrup (light corn syrup is the closest in N America)
2 eggs, beaten
3/4 tablespoons buttermilk

Method:
Sift the flour and rub in the fat (suet or margarine) in a large mixing bowl. Add all the other dry ingredients and mix with a wooden spoon. Make a well in the centre and add the syrup and eggs and mix well. Add enough buttermilk to make a soft but firm batter.
At Christmas, cooks often wrapped small coins (in the old days a silver three-penny piece was popular) in greaseproof paper and placed them in the dumpling. If you do add coins, warn those eating the dumpling later so as to avoid broken teeth!
You now have a choice of container. The traditional way was with a cloth. Dip it first in boiling water and flour it well before adding the mixture. Tie the top, making sure there is enough room for expansion. Place a saucer or plate in the bottom of a saucepan and stand the dumpling in the cloth on top. Cover with boiling water and cook for 2½ to 3 hours.
Alternatively, you can use an 8-cup basin or pudding steamer which has been lightly greased with melted butter. Allow a one inch space at the top (even if this means throwing away some of the mixture - you need the saoce for expansion). Cover the steamer or basin with a greased sheet of foil and pour boiling water into the steamer until it comes two-thirds up the side. Boil for 3 hours.
Turn out the dumpling and either serve hot with custard or cold with cream.

Ingredients:
4 oz. plain biscuits (Rich Tea type)
2 oz. fine flour
1/2 lb. currants (soaked overnight and drained)
1/2 lb. raisins
1/2 lb. finely shredded suet
1 teaspoon grated nutmeg
1/4 lb. sifted caster sugar
1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
2 blades of mace or 1/2 teaspoon ground mace)
1/2 teaspoon salt
3 oz. mixed candied lemon, orange and citron peel, chopped
2 oz. blanched almonds roughly chopped
four eggs
wineglass of brandy or white wine

Method:

Put the biscuits in a cloth and roll with a heavy rolling pin to crush thoroughly. Mix the fruit, peel, pounded biscuits, spices and nuts.
Beat the eggs well and add a glass of brandy or wine. Then mix in the flour and the other dry ingredients.
Scald a pudding cloth in boiling water and dredge lightly, but thoroughly with flour. Spoon the mixture into the cloth. You can get the traditional round shape by holding the cloth in a bowl large enough to support the mixture. Gather the ends of the cloth evenly and tie firmly with string, leaving enough room for the pudding to swell.
Place an old plate in the bottom of a large saucepan, and place the cloth wrapped pudding on the plate. Cover with boiling water and simmer for three hours, turning the pudding from time to time and adding boiling water as required.
When ready take out of the pot and cool for about 10 minutes before carefully removing the cloth. Cool completely before slicing.

--------------------
user posted image

Friends are like quiet angels who lift our feet when our wings forget how to fly
PMEmail PosterMy Photo Album               
0 User(s) are reading this topic (0 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Reply to this topic Quick ReplyStart new topicStart Poll

© Celtic Radio Network
Celtic Radio is a TorontoCast radio station that is based in Canada.
TorontoCast provides music license coverage through SOCAN.
All rights and trademarks reserved. Read our Privacy Policy.

[Home] [Top]