Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll

> Quality Time With Family., How do you spend it?
Bookmark and Share
ilpiccolobardo 
Posted: 14-Jul-2008, 12:26 PM
Quote Post

Servant

Group: Celtic Nation
ZodiacHazel

Realm: Italy-Piedmont-Biella

male

QUOTE (oldraven @ 14-Jul-2008, 10:28 AM)

To all who care to travel, our door is open. wink.gif Camping in the Highlands is the best I've ever experienced, and I'd love to share. The more Families the better the Quality time!

beer_mug.gif thumbsup.gif

Oldraven, your family is beautiful and you live in a wonderful place !

Me and my wife spend our time together telling about our working journey, or playing with our little princess Alessia (8 months old).
Unfortunately I work with bad times, so if I work in the morning (like this week) we can live better our time together (also with long walks around our little town...) ; if I work in the afternoon (2pm-10pm) we spend a few time together, but I pass all the morning with my daughter (fantastic ! )...
In the place where we live people are all slave to the work, they are alienated ; we don't like so much this place, but our parents and my sister are all here ; and we're lucky to have a work !
So we try to live better and to smile to grey days (Alessia helps us a lot !).
I'm new to this community, but I feel that it's very real and friendly and can teach me a lot of things, not only about music or Celts : thanks !
Maybe one day (maybe with a second child... rolleyes.gif ) we'll be in North America...

Bye___IPB

--------------------
user posted imageMe user posted imagePics user posted imageTravels user posted imageMusic

Is but a dream within a dream- Edgar Allan Poe
PMEmail PosterUsers Website               View My Space Profile.
oldraven 
Posted: 14-Jul-2008, 01:49 PM
Quote Post

The Protector of the Unknown
Group Icon

Group: Scotland
ZodiacHazel

Realm: Guysborough Co., Nova Scotia

male

QUOTE (ilpiccolobardo @ 14-Jul-2008, 10:26 AM)
Oldraven, your family is beautiful and you live in a wonderful place !
Maybe one day (maybe with a second child... rolleyes.gif ) we'll be in North America...

Bye___IPB

Thank you too, ilpiccolobardo. smile.gif I said our door is always open. That goes for North America as well.

It's a wonderful thing that you have your family so close, even if work life is a little overwhelming sometimes. When I lived in Alberta (Western Canada) I spent my days grinding away for the dollar, and missed out on much of our daughter Coira's first year. My wife even took her to work with her for the first six months of her life. Working and working, with our families a continent away. That is why we moved home. I don't make the kind of money I did out there, and steady work is less certain than before, but we get to be near our family. What more could you ask for? king.gif

p.s.
I did a quick search for Piedmont-Biella. You live in Cisalpine Gaul! wink.gif If the costs air travel ever come down, how do you feel about house swapping? tongue.gif

--------------------
Caw

"I am a Canadian by birth, but I am a Highlander by blood and feel under an obligation to do all I can for the sake of the Highlanders and their literature.... I have never yet spoken a word of English to any of my children. They can speak as much English as they like to others, but when they talk to me they have to talk in Gaelic."

-Alexander Maclean Sinclair of Goshen (protector of Gaelic Culture)

We need more Stan Rogers.

jams
PMEmail PosterUsers Website               
oldraven 
Posted: 14-Jul-2008, 01:50 PM
Quote Post

Group Icon

ZodiacHazel

male

I forgot to say, your daughter looks beautiful. I love seeing a child give a real belly laugh. biggrin.gif
UlsterScotNutt 
Posted: 14-Jul-2008, 03:57 PM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian

Group: Celtic Nation
ZodiacBirch

Realm: New England, USA

male

What great stories of family!!

oldraven, GREAT picture.

We as kids, my family spent alot of time together with family, cousins, aunts and uncles. My mothers 4 sisters and my fathers sister and brother that were in the states. I have 42 first cousins and about 20 of us would get together at family events on a routine basis. Smaller groupings were always in the mix.

My boys are grown up pretty much, my oldest is 22 and works with me and the neighbor here in the industrial park. We butted heads from about 8th grade thru 18 yrs old and he definitely got in some troubles. Now he is level headed, mature, smart, hardworking and I am very proud of him.
My youngest is 17 and is smart and kind and a cherished human being. Mind you he has caused the hairs to turn grayer quicker a few times and has done some pretty lame brained things but I believe he will be ok. He does well in school, is adventurous, outgoing and is a good friend to all and I am very happy and proud with him. and as a baby , he could laugh, man could he laugh!!

We spent alot of time visiting family as they grew up and still do. We liked to fish together, my yougest still does with me. We did alot of rockhounding together digging at old mines and quarries. Camping and whitewater rafting when they were older. My oldest still works with me rebuilding Triumph sport cars.

I think keeping open communication, respect at all times and talking no matter what happens helps all in the family.

This September my honey and I will have been married 29 years.

Woods and water.

I am very fortunate and very thankful.

USN beer_mug.gif note.gif thumbs_up.gif smile.gif

--------------------
Be kind, for everyone you meet is fighting a hard battle. Plato(427-347 BC) Philosopher and Educator

Three things in human life are important: The first is to be kind. The second is to be kind. And the third is to be kind. Henry James (1843-1916) Writer

When I was young, I admired clever people. Now that I am old, I admire
kind people. -Abraham Joshua Heschel (1907-1972) Theology Professor
PMEmail PosterMy Photo Album               
LadyOfAvalon 
Posted: 14-Jul-2008, 05:17 PM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian
Group Icon

ZodiacVine

female

QUOTE (oldraven @ 14-Jul-2008, 09:53 AM)
Angela and I get our quality time together by reading together. We've been doing this since before we got married, and now that we've got kids, it's become a valued part of our relationship. We used to just read out loud when we were going to bed, but now that the wee one is sleeping so close by, we find time when we can. Mainly in the car (passenger reads, of course wink.gif ), on outings like camping, or pretty much whenever we can squeeze in a chapter.

As for camping itself.....

To all who care to travel, our door is open.  Camping in the Highlands is the best I've ever experienced, and I'd love to share. The more Families the better the Quality time!

Oldraven, what a wonderful way to spend with your love, reading is one of the best past time that one could enjoy. Camping and any outdoor activities are also great past times to be with the kids or if there is no kids well...two can still have a great time enjoying the peace of nature or any outdoor sports.
I think that this is what's missing in our world today, simple things and simple life.
People would so much happier.IMHO.

And let me point out that you must be a very generous person to open your door to the world.This is real NovaScotia hospitality.

BTW you and your wife have two beautiful little cherubs.

smile.gif LOA

--------------------
"Few men are brave:many become so through training and discipline."
Flavius Vegetius Renatus

"I think a hero is an ordinary individual who finds strenght to persevere and endure in spite of overwhelming obstacles."
Christopher Reeve
PM My Photo Album               
LadyOfAvalon 
Posted: 14-Jul-2008, 05:44 PM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian
Group Icon

ZodiacVine

female

QUOTE (Patch @ 07-Jul-2008, 10:51 PM)
QUOTE (Lady of Avalon @ 07-Jul-2008, 01:17 PM)
Patch,
So true that " time invested in family is time well invested". But even as grown ups we still have this need to connect with our loved ones. And I find that in today world people do not take the time anymore.

Are you still in touch with you children?

LOA

My oldest son is busy but I call him regularly. The other three are on the phone a couple of times a week each. The older they get, the smarter I am becoming. I guess My family has been lucky as the in-laws are great and even the cousins keep in touch pretty much. Some things like reunions went by the wayside but we have started on one side of the family again. It was open to both sides and both were represented. I see my kids getting a little lax with their children though they spend time with them. Just some of the rules I had are not important to them now. I doubt I will be around to see how that turns out. I make it a point to join in my grandchildrens activities as much as possible. They have some really diverse interests!

Slàinte,    

Patch    

Patch,
A phone call is quality time in my eyes because we cannot always be present for whatever reason. But at least a phone call and talking with your kids is good and is a contact in some way. Life can be very long for a forgotten parent or a forgotten grandparent. It is good that you make it a point to get involved with your grandkids as well even if the interests are different from yours.In their eyes you are a grandad with an open mind and don't judge. And that's great.

Unfortunately, I couldn't do that with my grandparents.

Thanks,
smile.gif LOA
PM My Photo Album               
LadyOfAvalon 
Posted: 14-Jul-2008, 06:14 PM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian
Group Icon

ZodiacVine

female

QUOTE (ilpiccolobardo @ 14-Jul-2008, 01:26 PM)
Me and my wife spend our time together telling about our working journey, or playing with our little princess Alessia (8 months old).
Unfortunately I work with bad times, so if I work in the morning (like this week) we can live better our time together (also with long walks around our little town...) ; if I work in the afternoon (2pm-10pm) we spend a few time together, but I pass all the morning with my daughter (fantastic ! )...
In the place where we live people are all slave to the work, they are alienated ; we don't like so much this place, but our parents and my sister are all here ; and we're lucky to have a work !
So we try to live better and to smile to grey days (Alessia helps us a lot !).
I'm new to this community, but I feel that it's very real and friendly and can teach me a lot of things, not only about music or Celts : thanks !

Bye___IPB

Hi ilpiccolobardo,
You know I spend a lot of time talking about nothing and everything with my husband, we don't have kids only each other so if we would not talk well there wouldn't be much of our relationship.
Talking between us is quality time because it's when we exchange ideas about either things that we'd like to do in or around the house or outside. It's as simple as what we'll have for supper. And like you we talk about our days at work it's good to vent some of the accumalation from work just by talking about the bad or the good day we had.Don't think that it's only where you live that people are workahoolics (slave to the work) here too it's the same. But we must make the best of our free time and try to enjoy it with the love ones.That's the most important thing.

smile.gif LOA
PM My Photo Album               
LadyOfAvalon 
Posted: 14-Jul-2008, 06:28 PM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian
Group Icon

ZodiacVine

female

QUOTE (UlsterScotNutt @ 14-Jul-2008, 04:57 PM)

oldraven, GREAT picture.

We as kids, my family spent alot of time together with family, cousins, aunts and uncles. My mothers 4 sisters and my fathers sister and brother that were in the states. I have 42 first cousins and about 20 of us would get together at family events on a routine basis. Smaller groupings were always in the mix.

My boys are grown up pretty much, my oldest is 22 and works with me and the neighbor here in the industrial park. We butted heads from about 8th grade thru 18 yrs old and he definitely got in some troubles. Now he is level headed, mature, smart, hardworking and I am very proud of him.
My youngest is 17 and is smart and kind and a cherished human being. Mind you he has caused the hairs to turn grayer quicker a few times and has done some pretty lame brained things but I believe he will be ok. He does well in school, is adventurous, outgoing and is a good friend to all and I am very happy and proud with him. and as a baby , he could laugh, man could he laugh!!

We spent alot of time visiting family as they grew up and still do. We liked to fish together, my yougest still does with me. We did alot of rockhounding together digging at old mines and quarries. Camping and whitewater rafting when they were older. My oldest still works with me rebuilding Triumph sport cars.

I think keeping open communication, respect at all times and talking no matter what happens helps all in the family.

This September my honey and I will have been married 29 years.

Woods and water.

I am very fortunate and very thankful.

USN beer_mug.gif  note.gif  thumbs_up.gif  smile.gif

Hi Ulster, I'm glad your part of this thread and glad you like the stories.
There great.

Yes sometimes I miss these few times spent in family reunion when I was younger.
They would not happen too often because we were a big family and my parents weren't welcome everywhere with their broods.But on my mother's side during the Christmas Holidays her mother would have a family dinner with everybody that would come and it was fun. One of my uncle who was a taxi driver and he was so kind though a bit scary looking by his size, he was quite fat actually, but what a voice he had.
He would start singing the Holy Nights and as he would get deeper in the song the rafters would almost come down on our heads. My grandmother would always try to tell him to shut up with no avail,imagine she was 4'9" and he was about 5'11" and sing like crazy in the living room for us kids sitting around him on the floor.
Those were great days and great memories for me.

You know that there would probably be less delinquants in the streets if these unfortunate kids would not be left by themselves!

It's nice to hear that your kids still follows when visiting family.
And congratulations on your 29th anniversary,long standing marriages are a rare commodity in our modern world.Wish you both all the best.

smile.gif LOA
PM My Photo Album               
oldraven 
Posted: 14-Jul-2008, 07:00 PM
Quote Post

Group Icon

ZodiacHazel

male

They have their lives to live and I have mine.

camac.

My father said something similar to that, recently, when we were talking about how three of us (kids) had moved out west. He said he understood that we had our own lives to live, and he and Mom had done the same thing with their parents.

But when we did get together, the time was very well spent. Jokes are funnier, jams are smoother, even songs you thought you'd forgotten are fresh. smile.gif I'm sure it is the same when your family gets to spend that time together. You use up every moment and it seems to that feeling of belonging.

USN    

That is one of the best paragraphs I've ever read. cheers.gif

Great topic, Lady of Avalon! You might want to mention the book thing to your husband. smile.gif Ange and I pick the books alternately. (I've been known to pull a fast one on her and pick a series or two. wink.gif ). Right now we're reading Robert Jordan's Wheel of time. The weekly private dinner isn't exactly possible for us, but it sounds like something we should find time for now and then. Something about having the kids, the marriage just gets lost in there somehow, if you get what I mean.
oldraven 
Posted: 14-Jul-2008, 07:01 PM
Quote Post

Group Icon

ZodiacHazel

male

Argh! So many mistakes in that post.
LadyOfAvalon 
Posted: 14-Jul-2008, 07:47 PM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian
Group Icon

ZodiacVine

female

QUOTE (oldraven @ 14-Jul-2008, 08:00 PM)

Great topic, Lady of Avalon! You might want to mention the book thing to your husband. smile.gif Ange and I pick the books alternately. (I've been known to pull a fast one on her and pick a series or two. wink.gif ). Right now we're reading Robert Jordan's Wheel of time. The weekly private dinner isn't exactly possible for us, but it sounds like something we should find time for now and then. Something about having the kids, the marriage just gets lost in there somehow, if you get what I mean.

Thanks oldraven glad you like it and joined in the fun in sharing your views.

As for suggesting the "book thing" to my husband well...I guess to each his own for he is not the "book reading" type at all though sometimes he sneak in my poems book and read what I write. And even though you have kids maybe not every week but once in a while a private dinner with your love is a wonderful way to get reacquainted with each other on a more intimate and personal way.
And that too is a kind of quality time that a couple with children should not forget along the way. Loving our children is wonderful but it is sad when a couple get losts in there somewhere like you say, I know some of our friends got lost somehow in their marriage...

Thanks,

LOA
PM My Photo Album               
iolanda 
  Posted: 01-Aug-2008, 04:49 PM
Quote Post

Celtic Princess
Group Icon

Group: Order of the Knights
ZodiacWillow

Realm: Rieti ( Lazio )

female

One of the moments that I really love is when my little kid, (Michelangelo, 8 years old) my little sweet angel reads to me Mickey Mouse or some sweet stories when I'm tired and need relaxing. So, he says: "Would you like do I read something for you, mummy?"With his wonderful smiling big blue eyes. He is so proud because reads very well for his age and very much . His voice is so sweet, so relaxing that every problem is fading away in those moments; it's like a lullaby for me and many times I falling asleep... angel_not.gif
So, he blankets me,gives a kiss and runs to prepare a coffee or a camomile or tea with some biscuits (it depends from what he prefer for me in that occasion laugh.gif ). he makes in a hurry, because absolutely I don't want he uses the gas cooker.
What can I say when he managed in his intent and come to me slowly, with a tray in his hands with all these thing also a flower or some leaves that he caught from my plants in balcony???
He says."It's a decoration for you, mummy, a little present for you.."
He disarms me everytime..also, I think that anybody never loved me like him, in my life. And nobody knows me better than him. hug.gif
Slàinte
iolanda note.gif bye1.gif

--------------------
]Happy who, hovers over the life..feels the language and the fragrance of the simple things and the flowers.. (C. Baudelaire)

If you lose, don't lose the lesson ... (XIV Dalai Lama)
PMEmail Poster               View my Linked-In Profile.View my Google plus Profile.View my Twitter Profile.View My Space Profile.View my YouTube Profile.
CelticRadio 
Posted: 01-Aug-2008, 08:28 PM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian
Group Icon

Group: Administrator
ZodiacOak

Realm: Boston, MA

male

QUOTE (iolanda @ 01-Aug-2008, 05:49 PM)
One of the moments that I really love is when my little kid, (Michelangelo, 8 years old) my little sweet angel reads to me Mickey Mouse or some sweet stories when I'm tired and need relaxing. So, he says: "Would you like do I read something for you, mummy?"With his wonderful smiling big blue eyes. He is so proud because reads very well for his age and very much . His voice is so sweet, so relaxing that every problem is fading away in those moments; it's like a lullaby for me and many times I falling asleep... angel_not.gif
So, he blankets me,gives a kiss and runs to prepare a coffee or a camomile or tea with some biscuits (it depends from what he prefer for me in that occasion laugh.gif ). he makes in a hurry, because absolutely I don't want he uses the gas cooker.
What can I say when he managed in his intent and come to me slowly, with a tray in his hands with all these thing also a flower or some leaves that he caught from my plants in balcony???
He disarms me everytime..also, I think that anybody never loved me like him, in my life. And nobody knows me better than him. hug.gif
Slàinte

That is so sweet! Thanks for sharing that! smile.gif

--------------------
Wallace MacArthur
http://www.CelticRadio.net
Celtic Radio Music Network

Imagination is more Important than Knowledge
PMEmail PosterUsers Website My Photo Album               View my Facebook Profile.View my Linked-In Profile.View my Google plus Profile.View my Twitter Profile.View My Space Profile.View my YouTube Profile.
LadyOfAvalon 
Posted: 01-Aug-2008, 08:44 PM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian
Group Icon

ZodiacVine

female

QUOTE (iolanda @ 01-Aug-2008, 05:49 PM)
Slàinte

iolanda, your relationship with your little boy is just wonderful, this is true quality time shared between mother and son.
He is protective of you and showing it with love.

A nice story, thank you for sharing it.

smile.gif LOA
PM My Photo Album               
iolanda 
Posted: 02-Aug-2008, 11:08 AM
Quote Post

Celtic Princess
Group Icon

Group: Order of the Knights
ZodiacWillow

Realm: Rieti ( Lazio )

female

smile.gif Hi,
here is Michelangelo; isn't he very sweet?
bye1.gif Slàinte
note.gif iolanda

Attached Image. Works with IE only! (Click thumbnail to expand)
Attached Image (Works with IE Only)
PMEmail Poster               View my Linked-In Profile.View my Google plus Profile.View my Twitter Profile.View My Space Profile.View my YouTube Profile.
0 User(s) are reading this topic (0 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll

Celtic RadioTM broadcasts through Live365.com and StreamLicensing.com which are officially licensed under SoundExchange, ASCAP, BMI, SESAC and SOCAN.
©2014 Celtic Radio Network, Highlander Radio, Celtic Moon, Celtic Dance, Ye O' Celtic Pub and Celt-Rock-Radio.
All rights and trademarks reserved. Read our Privacy Policy.
Celtic Graphics ©2014, Cari Buziak

Link to CelticRadio.net!
Link to CelticRadio.net
View Broadcast Status and Statistics!

Best Viewed With IE 8.0 (1680 x 1050 Resolution), Javascript & Cookies Enabled.

[Home] [Top]

Celtic Hearts Gallery | Celtic Mates Dating | My Celtic Friends | Celtic Music Radio | Family Heraldry | Medival Kingdom | Top Celtic Sites | Web Celt Blog | Video Celt