Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )
   Mobile App

Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll

> Quality Time With Family., How do you spend it?
Bookmark and Share
LadyOfAvalon 
  Posted: 04-Jul-2008, 06:56 PM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian
Group Icon

Group: Scotland
ZodiacVine

female

Spending quality time with family is a must for it is the root of balance in individuals. I think. I am not a pshychologist...very far from it. But I think that is one of the problems in our society today.People forget about quality time.Too busy.

Quality time spent in family,even if the family consist of two persons is a need in all of us to find calm and serenity in life.

From my part, my direct family consist of my husband and myself. Our quality time together is very important in our life because that is at that time that we are near each other and discuss anything and nothing.

On most of Saturday nights it is our special dinner night. That is when we prepare ourselves a special dinner and take our time savouring it while sipping a good bottle of wine and talking about either future projects we'd like to do around the house or future trips destinations. For us it is a kind of ritual that we do all the time and if for some reason we didn't have the opportunity to do it, we take note that the next saturday must be the one for it.

I invite anyone who would be interested in sharing his/her thoughts about spending quality time with your family.

smile.gif LOA

--------------------
"Few men are brave:many become so through training and discipline."
Flavius Vegetius Renatus

"I think a hero is an ordinary individual who finds strenght to persevere and endure in spite of overwhelming obstacles."
Christopher Reeve
PM My Photo Album               
Camac
Posted: 05-Jul-2008, 09:07 AM
Quote Post

Main: Registration
Questions: Help
Important: Rules

Zodiac

LOA;

Spending quality time with Family is very important and should not be missed but in many cases such as mine it is very difficult as my family is all grown and flew the nest years ago. We do spend time to-gether when ever we can but we are lucky if it is more than 4 times a years. They have their lives to live and I have mine. When they were young it was great and the time spent with them is immeasurable. I would encourage all who have young children to spend all the time you can with them for if you do not you will miss the greatest joy in life.

camac.

LadyOfAvalon 
Posted: 05-Jul-2008, 08:17 PM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian
Group Icon

ZodiacVine

female

Yes it is a fact of life that when kids have grown up they leave the nest as you say to live their lives.
However, even if they are gone and you meet 4 times a year I don't think it's the quantity that counts it's the quality.
Family reunions could be quality time spent all together once a year!
But people have to make the effort to do it otherwise there is no point.

Thanks for sharing your opinion Camac and you are right also that even though I don't have kids for myself I was one once and quality time spent with my parents never existed, unfortunately.and I think today that both of them realize it now but it's kind of late.

LOA
PM My Photo Album               
Patch 
Posted: 05-Jul-2008, 09:30 PM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian
Group Icon

ZodiacIvy

Realm: America, Mid West

male

When my youngest were 6 and 7, we set aside an hour and a half every day when I came home from work. Each got a half hour one on one and I kept a calender as to which one was "first the day before and we alternated. Then we had a half hour for the three of us, usually while I was fixing dinner and teaching them a little about cooking. We always ate at the table with no TV in the background. I supported their sports/school/church activities. I found that it was nearly impossible to find someone who would accept my children as if they were their own and I refused to put my children in a position as second class persons. In the end I believe they turned out pretty well. Time invested in our families is time well invested!

Slàinte,    

Patch    

PMEmail Poster               
DesertRose 
Posted: 05-Jul-2008, 11:27 PM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian

Group: Celtic Nation
ZodiacAlder

Realm: The desert of Arizona

female

Family is very important to us as well. My hubby and I do not have children, only furry kids. But our family understand that concept very well as they all have furry kids as well.

My in-laws live an hour south of us but we try to get together as often as we can. We always spend birthdays and holidays together. If we need each other for more serious matters, they are always there.

My family all live in GA and in CA. I keep in touch with them and we have a terrific relationship, but nothing like having my in-laws so close for what or whenever. I have 5 sister in laws and we always refer to each other as Sis...how special is that?

--------------------
Fine art & photography by DESERT ROSE IMAGES
http://www.desertrose-images.com
PMEmail PosterUsers WebsiteMy Photo Album               
LadyOfAvalon 
Posted: 07-Jul-2008, 07:17 PM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian
Group Icon

ZodiacVine

female

Patch,
So true that " time invested in family is time well invested". But even as grown ups we still have this need to connect with our loved ones. And I find that in today world people do not take the time anymore.
Are you still in touch with you children?

Desert Rose,

My hubby and I don't have kids of our own either except a furry friend (cat) and like you we try to give at least a phone call a week to either our parents or brothers and sisters.
Yes indeed it must be a very special relationship you share with your sister in laws
this take a lot of love to be able to develop a relationship like that because often in family a lot of inlaws just do not get along so well.

Thanks you both,

LOA
PM My Photo Album               
Patch 
Posted: 07-Jul-2008, 09:51 PM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian
Group Icon

ZodiacIvy

Realm: America, Mid West

male

QUOTE (Lady of Avalon @ 07-Jul-2008, 01:17 PM)
Patch,
So true that " time invested in family is time well invested". But even as grown ups we still have this need to connect with our loved ones. And I find that in today world people do not take the time anymore.

Are you still in touch with you children?

LOA

My oldest son is busy but I call him regularly. The other three are on the phone a couple of times a week each. The older they get, the smarter I am becoming. I guess My family has been lucky as the in-laws are great and even the cousins keep in touch pretty much. Some things like reunions went by the wayside but we have started on one side of the family again. It was open to both sides and both were represented. I see my kids getting a little lax with their children though they spend time with them. Just some of the rules I had are not important to them now. I doubt I will be around to see how that turns out. I make it a point to join in my grandchildrens activities as much as possible. They have some really diverse interests!

Slàinte,    

Patch    
PMEmail Poster               
Camac
Posted: 10-Jul-2008, 09:47 AM
Quote Post

Zodiac

Those amongst us who have children know that the difference between siblings is the same as night and day. In my case my two daughters were "Matter and Anti-Matter") Paula my oldest was a pretty normal kid and really not much trouble at all. Shannon,my youngest, came into this world with the word 'REBEL' tattooed on her butt. For the 1st 17 years of her life I used to threaten her with instant annihilation. I would ask her how old she was and when she answered I would reply with the question Do you want to see your next Birthday. My ex claimed that the hospital had switched babies on her. The amazing thing was that at 18 somebody threw a switch and this young she-devil in the guise of a human turned into one of the most caring loving persons I know. I have to say that even for all the trouble that she brought I loved her a bit more just because she was Shannon. She would be unrecognizable to anyone who knew her in her youth. There is still the rebel in her and she definitely marches to the beat of her own drummer but the rebel has mellowed and I consider myself most fortunate to be the father of two really great young women. I guess I did something right in my life.

Camac.

DesertRose 
Posted: 10-Jul-2008, 12:51 PM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian

Group: Celtic Nation
ZodiacAlder

Realm: The desert of Arizona

female

Dearest Camac,

Your right in what you said that having children is not the same as having siblings. I don't have children but can only imagine. You seem like such a lovable guy that I cannot imagine you producing a rebel child. I would bet that even if your "rebel" child had not settled down, you would still be the most patient and loving parent. Kudos to you and glad to hear that both your daughters have blessed you in many ways....rebel or not. wink.gif

beer_mug.gif thumbs_up.gif
PMEmail PosterUsers WebsiteMy Photo Album               
oldraven 
Posted: 11-Jul-2008, 01:23 PM
Quote Post

The Protector of the Unknown
Group Icon

ZodiacHazel

Realm: Guysborough Co., Nova Scotia

male

Camping/Hiking, if possible. smile.gif

--------------------
Caw

"I am a Canadian by birth, but I am a Highlander by blood and feel under an obligation to do all I can for the sake of the Highlanders and their literature.... I have never yet spoken a word of English to any of my children. They can speak as much English as they like to others, but when they talk to me they have to talk in Gaelic."

-Alexander Maclean Sinclair of Goshen (protector of Gaelic Culture)

We need more Stan Rogers.

jams
PMEmail PosterUsers Website               
Camac
Posted: 11-Jul-2008, 03:13 PM
Quote Post

Zodiac

QUOTE (DesertRose @ 10-Jul-2008, 12:51 PM)
Dearest Camac,

Your right in what you said that having children is not the same as having siblings. I don't have children but can only imagine. You seem like such a lovable guy that I cannot imagine you producing a rebel child. I would bet that even if your "rebel" child had not settled down, you would still be the most patient and loving parent. Kudos to you and glad to hear that both your daughters have blessed you in many ways....rebel or not. wink.gif

beer_mug.gif thumbsup.gif

DesertRose;

Thanks for the compliment but I did Father a rebel and I'm proud to say so. My Dad (stepfather) since Shannon was two use to say leave her be she will find her own road in life. He was right. Even though Shannon and Paula were not really his grandkids he loved them both very much. Maybe more so Shannon because she was a kindred spirit. He lived his life his way. When Anka wrote the song "My Way" he was refering to my Dad. Even though I am totally biased a man could not want better daughters. Both of them know that I would never interfere in their lives but they also know that I will always be there for them and do anything in my power to help or protect them. Even though I swore years ago never again to take a human life, for them I would break that vow.

Camac.

LadyOfAvalon 
Posted: 12-Jul-2008, 05:02 PM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian
Group Icon

ZodiacVine

female

QUOTE (Camac @ 10-Jul-2008, 10:47 AM)
Those amongst us who have children know that the difference between siblings is the same as night and day. In my case my two daughters were "Matter and Anti-Matter") Paula my oldest was a pretty normal kid and really not much trouble at all. Shannon,my youngest, came into this world with the word 'REBEL' tattooed on her butt. For the 1st 17 years of her life I used to threaten her with instant annihilation. I would ask her how old she was and when she answered I would reply with the question Do you want to see your next Birthday. My ex claimed that the hospital had switched babies on her. The amazing thing was that at 18 somebody threw a switch and this young she-devil in the guise of a human turned into one of the most caring loving persons I know. I have to say that even for all the trouble that she brought I loved her a bit more just because she was Shannon. She would be unrecognizable to anyone who knew her in her youth. There is still the rebel in her and she definitely marches to the beat of her own drummer but the rebel has mellowed and I consider myself most fortunate to be the father of two really great young women. I guess I did something right in my life.

Camac.

Yes it's true having kids and siblings is two different matters.
As the oldest daughter in my family I can say that I did have to help my mom around the house on everything.And that made me a rebel somehow towards her.

By helping her so in my youth I couldn't get the quality time that sometimes was badly needed from my mom and certainly not from my dad. My mom because she was always busy and my dad because if he was not working he was at the tavern and would come home late so we were all in bed by then.

As we grew up things did not change and this is something that today,us children we kind of try not to let this happened.
My sisters and my older brother have kids and they always make sure to have quality time spent in family.

LOA
PM My Photo Album               
oldraven 
Posted: 14-Jul-2008, 08:53 AM
Quote Post

Group Icon

ZodiacHazel

male

Angela and I get our quality time together by reading together. We've been doing this since before we got married, and now that we've got kids, it's become a valued part of our relationship. We used to just read out loud when we were going to bed, but now that the wee one is sleeping so close by, we find time when we can. Mainly in the car (passenger reads, of course wink.gif ), on outings like camping, or pretty much whenever we can squeeze in a chapter.

As for camping itself.....

user posted image
Camac
Posted: 14-Jul-2008, 09:07 AM
Quote Post

Zodiac

oldraven;

Oh! how I do envy you.

Camac.

oldraven 
Posted: 14-Jul-2008, 10:28 AM
Quote Post

Group Icon

ZodiacHazel

male

QUOTE (Camac @ 14-Jul-2008, 07:07 AM)
oldraven;

Oh! how I do envy you.

Camac.

Thanks Camac. laugh.gif

To all who care to travel, our door is open. wink.gif Camping in the Highlands is the best I've ever experienced, and I'd love to share. The more Families the better the Quality time!

beer_mug.gif thumbs_up.gif
0 User(s) are reading this topic (0 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll

Celtic RadioTM broadcasts through Live365.com and StreamLicensing.com which are officially licensed under SoundExchange, ASCAP, BMI, SESAC and SOCAN.
©2014 Celtic Radio Network, Highlander Radio, Celtic Moon, Celtic Dance, Ye O' Celtic Pub and Celt-Rock-Radio.
All rights and trademarks reserved. Read our Privacy Policy.
Celtic Graphics ©2014, Cari Buziak

Link to CelticRadio.net!
Link to CelticRadio.net
View Broadcast Status and Statistics!

Best Viewed With IE 8.0 (1680 x 1050 Resolution), Javascript & Cookies Enabled.

[Home] [Top]

Celtic Hearts Gallery | Celtic Mates Dating | My Celtic Friends | Celtic Music Radio | Family Heraldry | Medival Kingdom | Top Celtic Sites | Web Celt Blog | Video Celt