Bookmark and Share
Rindy 
Posted: 13-Apr-2008, 05:40 PM
Quote Post

Peasant

Group: Celtic Nation
ZodiacBirch

female

I know I am behind the time, but I just recently found out about the Kong dog toy. I stuffed mine with peanut butter and my dog loves it. Spends hours with it. If I'm not careful he will sneak it outside to go bury it.

When I first saw the toy, I though well that's wierd looking, and picked it up, looked in the hole, squeezed and thought man that's hard, what kind of dog would like this kind of toy. It's got a wierd shape.
Well- my brother enlightened me. Oh what a wonderful thing this Kong toy is. I asked him for some recipes but you can buy all kinds of different things to put inside them. You can freeze them for teething pups, chewers and dogs that are plain bored.

If you have a kong recipe or story I would love to read it.

Slainte
PMEmail Poster               
ctbard 
Posted: 13-Apr-2008, 06:08 PM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian

ZodiacAlder

Realm: Connecticut

female

They even have mini Kongs for parrots, I havent gotten mine one yet though.

--------------------
The devil whispered behind the leaves, it's pretty but is it art?
Rudyard Kipling
PMEmail PosterMy Photo Album               
Rindy 
Posted: 14-Apr-2008, 09:31 AM
Quote Post

Peasant

ZodiacBirch

female

ctbard what??? Gee I am behind. I bet that would keep your parrot busy. I think thats so neat that you own a parrot. How long have you had your bird?

Slainte
PMEmail Poster               
valpal59 
Posted: 14-Apr-2008, 09:53 AM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian

ZodiacHolly

Realm: Texas Panhandle

female

I got one when we got Bailey. It is her favorite toy. I fill it with dog treats, peanut butter or dog food when she goes into the crate everyday during the week. It keeps her busy. She gets bored easily. On weekends there is no special time we just fill it off and on during the weekend.

--------------------
user posted imageuser posted imageuser posted image

"He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog. You are his life, his love, his leader. He will be yours, faithful and true, to the last beat of his heart.

You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion."

Author Unknown
PMEmail Poster               View my Facebook Profile.View My Space Profile.
ctbard 
Posted: 14-Apr-2008, 11:30 AM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian

ZodiacAlder

female

I have an african grey timneh Gabriel, thats 27 years old, and an sun conure Cupie, who is alittle over a year old, we adopted the african grey 3 years ago form an animal hospital in Boston, MA, he was dumped off there by his owner, he was abused, he had a little cast on his wing where it was broken, He's not able to fly because the people waited way to long to bring him to the vet.He talks, he calls me Ma and my husband Brian.My conure is just learning to talk.
Rindy 
Posted: 15-Apr-2008, 04:31 PM
Quote Post

Peasant

ZodiacBirch

female

Valpal-I'll bet Bailey is growing fast huh?

ahhh...ctbard how wonderful of you to adopt the parrot. I can just see the poor thing with the cast. I always thought it would be neat to own a bird that could talk.

Ok here's some Kong recipes some are a bit extreme but some good ideas. Like the bread holding the peanut butter...dahhh...I was just stuffing it in, which works too..lol

My Personal Favorites
Smear some peanut butter on a slice of bread. Fold up the bread and cram it into the Kong. Freeze & serve.

Use your finger to line the inside of the Kong with something sticky (like peanut butter or honey) then toss medium-sized dog treats inside -- the kind that barely fit inside the hole and are hard to get out.

Try microwaving the peanut butter or cheese first -- this makes it runny and easy to pour into the KONG and leaves very little to waste. Then layer with another food item. Then freeze. The microwaved peanut butter & cheese fills every crack and crevice inside the Kong acting as a glue around the other ingredients making it much more challenging for your dog.

For the simplest Kong treat of all, just smear a little peanut butter or honey around the inside of the Kong. You'd be surprised how long your dog will work at this simple little treat.

Dog-Friendly Kong Recipes
These Kong stuffing recipes feature unique combinations of your dog's own kibble, dog treats, and other pet-friendly foods.

Put some Kong Stuff 'n product (or Cheese Whiz) in the small hole first. Then toss in some dry dog food and/or small dog treats -- broken in pieces -- next. (We use Bil-Jac for this.) Top with some canned dog food mixed with dry dogfood and/or peanut butter smeared around the entire inside of the larger hole. Place a dog biscuit into the large opening, and leave about 1/3 of it sticking out. Freeze. (Or not.)

Moisten your dog's own food, then spoon it into the Kong toy. Freeze.

Cram a small piece of dog biscuit (or freeze-dried liver) into the small hole of the Kong. Smear a little honey (or Kong Stuff 'n product) around the inside. Fill it up with dry dog food. Then block the big hole with dog biscuits placed sideways inside.

Combine your dog's favorite treat with some moistened dry dogfood.

Other Tasty Kong Recipes To Try
The following Kong stuffings are made with one or more human food ingredients:

CHEESY ELVIS: Combine a ripe banana, 3 spoonfuls of peanut butter, and a slice of cheese. Mix until blended well. Fill the Kong and freeze.

MONSTER MASH: Instant mashed potatoes (without the salt) -- or leftover mashed potatoes from dinner -- mixed with crushed dog biscuits.

DOGGIE OMLET: Combine a scrambled egg, some beef, yogurt, cheese and mashed potatoes all together

FIBER CRUNCH: Combine bran cereal with some peanut butter.

KONGSICLE JERKY POPS: The equivalent of a popsicle... Seal the small hole of the Kong toy with peanut butter. Fill to the rim with water and a pinch of bouillon (or just use chicken broth instead). Place a stick or two of beef jerky inside. Freeze. (This one gets messy in a hurry, so it's recommended only for outdoor use.)

GOOEY CHEERIOS: Combine cheerios and peanut butter. Freeze.

FRUIT KITTY NOODLES: Mix together some dried fruit, cooked pasta, banana and dry cat food.

BANANA YOGURT: Plain yogurt and mashed bananas. (You can also add a little peanut butter or other fruits.) Then freeze it.

PEANUT BUTTER GLUE: Fill Kong 1/3rd full of dog food. Pour in melted peanut butter (after it has cooled from microwaving). Add more dog food, followed by more melted peanut butter until the Kong toy is full. Freeze until solid.

ROCK-HARD KIBBLE: Combine some of your dog's regular food with cream cheese, which acts as a cement, keeping everything inside.

STICKY BREAD: Smear peanut butter on a piece of bread. Fold it over and stuff inside the Kong. Mix together plain yogurt with some fruits or vegetables (carrots, celery) and pour inside. Freeze. The yogurt sticks to the bread holding everything together.

APPLE PIE: Squeeze a small piece of apple into the tiny hole. Fill the Kong with a small amount of plain yogurt. Add a few slices of mashed banana, more apple, yogurt, banana. End with a slice of banana and chunk of peanut butter on the top
PMEmail Poster               
valpal59 
Posted: 16-Apr-2008, 08:55 AM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian

ZodiacHolly

Realm: Texas Panhandle

female

Rindy--Thanks for the recipes. Variety is good. She gets bored easily. Bailey is growing like a weed. She is at the all legs stage and very clumsy.
PMEmail Poster               View my Facebook Profile.View My Space Profile.
Rindy 
Posted: 16-Apr-2008, 12:58 PM
Quote Post

Peasant

ZodiacBirch

female

Your welcome Valpal. I love it when pups are at that stage. They like children grow so quickly.

Slainte
PMEmail Poster               
maisky 
Posted: 17-Apr-2008, 09:23 AM
Quote Post

King of CelticRadio.net Jesters
Group Icon

Group: Founder
ZodiacVine

Realm: Easton, PA

male

I have a different arraingement for Princess Paws. It is a large, blue ball of heavy plastic. There are two circular cutouts about 3 inches in diameter. hard compressed discs of "treat" go into the cutouts. She now chews on the ball instead of the many sticks she has been dragging down from the Royal Woods.

--------------------
"If you want to make an apple pie from scratch, you must first create the universe."
Carl Sagan
PMEmail PosterUsers Website               
ctbard 
Posted: 17-Apr-2008, 10:05 AM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian

ZodiacAlder

female

I'm going to have to search the yard now for all the many Kongs out there, of all sizes, theres probably 2o buried ones in the yard. I"m definilty going to try those recipes to put in the Kong.Anything to keep them busy.
lschillinger 
Posted: 25-Feb-2009, 09:44 AM
Quote Post

Knight of the Round Table

ZodiacHazel

Realm: The Heart of it All

female

Kongs are wonderful things. My dog really likes hers. We recently added a new addition to the family and we were at PetsMart on Saturday picking up a few things for him and I bought two squeaky kongs. As much as my dog likes her kong she loves her squeaky toys more so this worked out really well for us. He seems to be distructive with all the squeak stuffed animals we have so in the few days we've had him this has saved me a lot of stuffing clean up!

--------------------
COURAGE GROWS STRONG AT THE WOUND

"Be happy while you're living, for you're a long time dead."

“Twelve highlanders and a bagpipe make a rebellion.”

user posted image
Swanny 
Posted: 25-Feb-2009, 10:04 AM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian

ZodiacBirch

Realm: Two Rivers, Alaska

male

OK, here is a very neat trick with a Kong that can save your dog's life.

Bloat is killer of dogs (you can google it up for details). If your dog is bloating s/he needs surgery ASAP. You can sometimes buy time for the emergency trip to the vet if you can get a tube down the dog's throat and into the stomach to relieve some pressure.

Have you ever tried to shove a tube down an unhappy dog's throat? Past all those razor sharp teeth?

Easy solution. Shove a kong into the dog's mouth to hold it open, pass the tube through the holes in the kong straight down the dog's esophagus, and stand to one side as all the gas and semi-digest food comes flowing out.

Not a pretty picture - but a life saving one if your dog happens to be suffering.

--------------------
user posted image "You can't run with the big dogs if you still pee like a puppy".

Stardancer Historical Freight Dogs, Two Rivers, Alaska.

"Aut pax, aut bellum" (Clan Gunn)
PMEmail Poster               
lschillinger 
Posted: 25-Feb-2009, 10:35 AM
Quote Post

Knight of the Round Table

ZodiacHazel

Realm: The Heart of it All

female

Thats a great tip Swanny. This is a little off topic, but kind of relating to your post. I also found out the hard way, if you dog has eaten something bad for them (ie chocolate) a way to get it "out"

We had left my dog out of her crate because of the barking issue we were having. And this is good testimonial to why crating is important. It was New Years Eve and my husband had left an almost full box of dark chocolate covered cherries on the kitchen table. Somehow the dog figured out a way onto the table got the box and ate all but one. She did this while we were at work, so by the time we got home and realized it it could have been to late. Of course everyone was closed because of the holiday. Thankfully my boss' wife is a vet and I have a good relationship with them. I called them in a panic and she advised me to give my dog two tablespoons of peroxide to make her vomit then take her for a ten minute walk and repeat again if necessary (you only want to do this twice no more).
Well she vomitted, but it was only peroxide for the most part. She suffered tremors for the next couples of hours off and on, but thankfully was fine in the end!
Dogshirt 
Posted: 25-Feb-2009, 09:42 PM
Quote Post

Lord of the Northern Plains
Group Icon

Group: Founder
ZodiacElder

Realm: Washington THE State

male

Otto can destroy a Kong for a dog 10 times his size in 20 minutes! I have yet to find a toy he can't destroy! Just bits and pieces of rubber strung all through the house!

beer_mug.gif

--------------------
Hoka Hey!
The more Liberals I meet, the more I like my dogs!
Rindy 
Posted: 25-Feb-2009, 11:24 PM
Quote Post

Peasant

ZodiacBirch

female

I have kind of forgotten about this thread. Thanks to everyone for keeping it going. thumbs_up.gif

maisky I bet Princess Paws is content. Did you make this ball or buy it. I would love to find one.

lschillinger I haven't heard of a squeaky kong. My dog would love that. Thanks for the peroxide tip-whiter teeth too...lol.

ctbard did you get all the kongs rounded up and try some of those recipes?

Swanny wow, what a great idea. If a dog is bloated what do they do? This sounds silly but they don't go around licking the floor do they? My dog about died eating a rawhide so I don't do that anymore. He does have digestion problems. The kong with peanut butter seems to satisfy him. I don't know that I could stick anything down this ones throat. The vet has troubles just looking him over.

Dogshirt may I say now that's a DOG! Cheers to Otto-bummer for Dogshirt or who ever that has to pick it up. Hope he doesn't swallow it. I haven't heard of a dog that can chew one up he must have quite the jaw strength!

Off to find a squeaky kong!

Slainte
PMEmail Poster               
0 User(s) are reading this topic (0 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll

Celtic RadioTM broadcasts through Live365.com and StreamLicensing.com which are officially licensed under SoundExchange, ASCAP, BMI, SESAC and SOCAN.
©2014 Celtic Radio Network, Highlander Radio, Celtic Moon, Celtic Dance, Ye O' Celtic Pub and Celt-Rock-Radio.
All rights and trademarks reserved. Read our Privacy Policy.
Celtic Graphics ©2014, Cari Buziak

Link to CelticRadio.net!
Link to CelticRadio.net
View Broadcast Status and Statistics!

Best Viewed With IE 8.0 (1680 x 1050 Resolution), Javascript & Cookies Enabled.

[Home] [Top]

Celtic Hearts Gallery | Celtic Mates Dating | My Celtic Friends | Celtic Music Radio | Family Heraldry | Medival Kingdom | Top Celtic Sites | Web Celt Blog | Video Celt