Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )
   Mobile App

Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll

> Favorite Place To Shop For Clothes At?
Bookmark and Share

Where do you do your shopping?
High end department stores (Neiman Marcus, Saks, Nordstrom) [ 0 ]  [0.00%]
Regular department stores (Sears, Kohl's, JC Penney) [ 0 ]  [0.00%]
Major discount stores (Wal-Mart, K Mart, Target) [ 7 ]  [58.33%]
Plus-sized mens'/womens' stores (Casual Male, Lane Bryant) [ 1 ]  [8.33%]
Specialty/boutique stores (too many to name) [ 3 ]  [25.00%]
Locally-owned mens'/womens' stores [ 1 ]  [8.33%]
Total Votes: 12
Guests cannot vote 
free2Bme 
Posted on 03-Jul-2003, 11:39 AM
Quote Post

Queen of Janetania

Group: Celtic Nation
ZodiacIvy

Realm: Gulf Coast of Florida

female

QUOTE (Madweasel @ Jul 3 2003, 01:09 PM)
"You can lead a horticulture, but you can't make her think."

OOOOOOOOOOh You So BAAAD! biggrin.gif biggrin.gif biggrin.gif

--------------------
RPG Anne O'Calahan
PMEmail Poster               
Aon_Daonna 
Posted on 03-Jul-2003, 11:51 AM
Quote Post

The Wolf Lady

ZodiacIvy

Realm: Fife, Scotland

female

I got quite some LARP* stuff collected, since I go to LARPs regularly, and since i'm not exactly shy to wear the things I like even if I look weird to the rest of the world, I often wear those things just for daily pleasure. I like to turn heads when I walk about the street in a velvet gown or other medieval-lookalike stuff.

*LARP = Live Action Role Play

--------------------
Moderator: The Playground (RPG)

Carpe Jugulum
Carved with a twisted smile
An epitaph for sorrow
Sethian - Epitaph

If anybody wants a costum signature, pm me!
PMEmail Poster               
maggiemahone1 
Posted on 03-Jul-2003, 12:36 PM
Quote Post

High Queen of Ireland

ZodiacIvy

Realm: Southern West Virginia

female

It's Wally World for me, I'm like Swanny I can do grocery shopping and everything else I might need in the same store. Anyway Wally World has better prices than the Kroger's that we have. Gosh, you can even get your oil changed while you shop at WW.
BTW... Swanny... nice picture! OH no! ohmy.gif Is that a redcoat your wearing? I guess someone has to portray the bad guys. biggrin.gif Just yanking yer chain as MDF would say!

maggiemahone1
PMEmail PosterUsers Website                View My Space Profile.
MDF3530 
  Posted on 03-Jul-2003, 12:59 PM
Quote Post

Madman with a box
Group Icon

Group: Scotland
ZodiacAlder

Realm: Midlothian, IL

male

We have a couple of Super K Marts in our area. I like them. No Super Targets or Wal-Mart Supercenters in close range. I have been to the Super Target in Davenport, Iowa (forgot to pack socks & undies while going to my uncle's funeral & I wasn't about to go commando in my best pants) and the Wal-Mart Supercenter in Indianola, Iowa (my late uncle's hometown). One thing I've noticed about Wal-Mart is the small town ones are a lot nicer than the ones in the major metropolitan areas.

--------------------
Mike F.

May the Irish hills caress you.
May her lakes and rivers bless you.
May the luck of the Irish enfold you.
May the blessings of Saint Patrick behold you.

user posted image
PMEmail PosterMy Photo Album               
RavenWing 
Posted on 03-Jul-2003, 01:19 PM
Quote Post

Dorkus Trollus Maximus

ZodiacHazel

Realm: Indiana, USA

female

QUOTE (Aon_Daonna @ Jul 3 2003, 05:51 PM)
I got quite some LARP* stuff collected, since I go to LARPs regularly, and since i'm not exactly shy to wear the things I like even if I look weird to the rest of the world, I often wear those things just for daily pleasure. I like to turn heads when I walk about the street in a velvet gown or other medieval-lookalike stuff.

*LARP = Live Action Role Play

You would like Dragon*Con in Atlanta Georgia. It is filled with fantasy role-play stuff like that. A bunch of friends of mine are going this year, but I am going to stay at home. mad.gif

--------------------
May all your up's and down's be under the sheets!

Religion is for those who are afraid of going to Hell. Spirituality is for those who have already been there.
- Anonymous
PMEmail Poster               
Madweasel 
Posted on 03-Jul-2003, 03:08 PM
Quote Post

Servant

ZodiacHazel

female

Aon, what LARPs? White Wolf? Nero? Or homebrewed D&D style?

I've done my share of playing in, writing, and hosting LARPs. Took a wee break after the politics of one group got too ridiculous for my liking. Wouldn't mind getting back into it with a saner group of people though.

I hear ya about walking out among the mundanes in garb. I've had a few hilarious adventures with friends at different times of the year, wearing our garb "on the road". One of the best was riding the T in Boston over to South Station. I was dressed as an Irish immigrant washer woman from the civil war. We were taking Amtrak down to an event, and there I was pushing my way through the crowds with my bandbox. To my credit, even when I got dirty looks from the buskers, I never broke character. happy.gif We got weird looks, to be sure, but it was good fun to shake folks up!

--------------------
The Madweasel

"You can lead a horticulture, but you can't make her think. "
PMEmail Poster               
Swanny 
Posted on 03-Jul-2003, 03:12 PM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian

ZodiacBirch

Realm: Two Rivers, Alaska

male

QUOTE (maggiemahone1 @ Jul 3 2003, 09:36 AM)
OH no! ohmy.gif Is that a redcoat your wearing? I guess someone has to portray the bad guys. biggrin.gif

smile.gif
The color in the photo is fairly true. It's a fine burgandy tabby, lined in silk. The weskit is a reproduction of an eighteenth century relief-printed toille, the shirt is a relatively fine Irish linen, and the breeches are of cotton duck, which in the 1770s was a pretty spendy fabric.

The redcoat of the eighteenth century British soldier is kind of interesting, though. During that time period that particular shade of scarlet could only be produced in Stroud (also the source of a relatively coarse broadcloth manufactured solely for the North American Indian trade according to OED). The color was a result of some chemical reaction between something in the local water and whatever dye they were using. The woolen mills of Stroud must have made some seriously big bucks as a result of that little fluke of nature. But I digress.

Ain't it amazin' how much trivia can clutter one's mind?

For our reenactors on the board, especially those interested in the eighteenth and early nineteenth century, the very best place in North' America to get the historically authentic stuff you need is Nor' West Company.

I'm afraid I'm as shameless as anyone else on the board.

S

--------------------
user posted image "You can't run with the big dogs if you still pee like a puppy".

Stardancer Historical Freight Dogs, Two Rivers, Alaska.

"Aut pax, aut bellum" (Clan Gunn)
PMEmail Poster               
Madweasel 
Posted on 03-Jul-2003, 05:14 PM
Quote Post

Servant

ZodiacHazel

female

Linen thread....*drool*....

Swanny, you're such a bad influence on my budget! Darn ya! wink.gif You're bookmarked for the fall sewing season. LOL

Are those wool stockings you offer hand knit? I'm curious. I knit stockings for anyone who wants them in my circle currently, because I haven't found any quality handknit repros at sutlers. I have two USCW era patterns, one Union, one Confed. I get my yarn from a place that uses mule-spinner technology to spin their yarn. Good stuff.

PMEmail Poster               
free2Bme 
Posted on 04-Jul-2003, 06:11 AM
Quote Post

Queen of Janetania

ZodiacIvy

Realm: Gulf Coast of Florida

female

QUOTE (Madweasel @ Jul 3 2003, 05:08 PM)
I hear ya about walking out among the mundanes in garb.  I've had a few hilarious adventures with friends at different times of the year, wearing our garb "on the road".  One of the best was riding the T in Boston over to South Station. I was dressed as an Irish immigrant washer woman from the civil war.  We were taking Amtrak down to an event, and there I was pushing my way through the crowds with my bandbox.  To my credit, even when I got dirty looks from the buskers, I never broke character.  happy.gif  We got weird looks, to be sure, but it was good fun to shake folks up!

I have pumped gasoline wearing everything from Civil War Ballgowns - complete with hoops and crinolines, to Medieval Barmaid Wench outfits with the tightly laced corset... I always just act as if nothing is any different, even when everyone's heads swivel around to gawk at me.

When anyone asks me if I am in a play or something, I always respond with "No. I'm Amish." Then I just turn and walk away. It's always good for a giggle or two. biggrin.gif biggrin.gif

Curious Swanny... how many in your outfit dye their shirts and other clothes in Walnut hulls? I know lots of guys who only dye their clothes with vegetable dyes and Walnuts are a favorite. (Speaking as a former member of the 7Th Mississippi Infantry Unit, Confederate ).

I found this article that pretty much sums up my fashion attitudes:

http://www.autopen.com/romance.well.dressed.shtml
PMEmail Poster               
Herrerano 
Posted on 04-Jul-2003, 09:51 AM
Quote Post

Lord of the Isthmus, Keeper of the Holy Barbecue
Group Icon

Group: Galicia
ZodiacIvy

Realm: Republica de Panamá

male

I shop for clothes wherever I can, usually at a 'Venta de Patio' which is a sort of second hand clothing store. They are the best places out here to find anything.

Other then that I just go naked. Or if necessary wear a loin cloth. cool.gif

Leo

--------------------

Consistency. It's only a virtue if you're not a screwup.

Ita erat quando hic adveni.

Time is a great teacher, but unfortunatley it kills all its pupils. - Hector Berlioz

"No matter where you go, there you are." - R. Young

¡Visté! ¡Te lo dijé!
PMEmail PosterUsers Website               
Aon_Daonna 
Posted on 04-Jul-2003, 10:19 AM
Quote Post

The Wolf Lady

ZodiacIvy

female

Well, there is a big FF event near where I live everyyear which lasts a week. Its at a nice old castle and its always alot of fun!
I also went to alot of D&D events.

Craig and I thought about hosting LARPS because Scotland seems to be quite empty when it comes to larps... There are masses in england tho. Well, we'll see, but since you hosted some we could maybe get together at some point and talk about that, Madweasel? It would be nice to get to know about your experiences. smile.gif
PMEmail Poster               
Madweasel 
Posted on 04-Jul-2003, 10:48 AM
Quote Post

Servant

ZodiacHazel

female

Definitely Aon! Although you being in Scotland, hard to get together over a cup of coffee. :grin:

Sort of on the subject of Independence Day... the last LARP I wrote was based in the White Wolf genre, and took place in Boston during the Rev. War. I tried to challenge my gamers by getting them into more of a politically oriented game, as opposed to the constant combat they were used to - utterly lame in White Wolf, because it devolves into an endless game of rock-paper-scissors. Some thrived on it, some complained, but overall it did well. I put it on hiatus after some key players had schedule conflicts, but I'd love to start it up again.

As for pumping gas in antebellum ballgowns...preach it, sister! I've done my grocery shopping like that a couple of times. It wasn't anywhere near halloween. Folks ask me if I'm going to a wedding, it's hilarious.

-Madweasel
PMEmail Poster               
Aon_Daonna 
Posted on 04-Jul-2003, 12:30 PM
Quote Post

The Wolf Lady

ZodiacIvy

female

you being in Scotland, hard to get together over a cup of coffee. :grin:

*lol* rrrighty, madweasel... but what's chat for?? or this forum??
I have to say I'm quite fond of non historic events, there is just too much to be thought about and it's all so much more fun with Magic involved *grins* Last year we went on a hunt for the dragon, it was class. Not only did it rain down on us like never before but also the rain destroyed all my wonderful magic fire effects *grummel*
I hated it while it lasted but our group of adventurers was one of the very few who stayed up to its end. That was worth it because the big party in the castle halls are wonderful, with bards and the right kind of food, hot blazing fireplaces and dances...
PMEmail Poster               
Swanny 
Posted on 04-Jul-2003, 05:39 PM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian

ZodiacBirch

male

QUOTE (Madweasel @ Jul 3 2003, 02:14 PM)
Are those wool stockings you offer hand knit? I'm curious.

At only $10.00 / pair? I only wish. Nope, they're machine knit but are quite nice.

However, if you're interesting in producing hand knit, knee-plus length stockings for my trade store it might be something I'd be interested in carrying. Feel free to drop me an Email through my profile.

Swanny
PMEmail Poster               
Swanny 
Posted on 04-Jul-2003, 05:46 PM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian

ZodiacBirch

male

QUOTE (free2Bme @ Jul 4 2003, 03:11 AM)
Curious Swanny... how many in your outfit dye their shirts and other clothes in Walnut hulls? 

A lot of guys who portray 18th century frontiersmen between the 7 Years War ( Last French and Indian War) and the American Revolution dye with walnut hulls, and there are quite a few fellows who do that portrayal. There is a fair amount of controversy as to how common that practice was historically, and it's always good for an alcohol-fueled argument around a campfire. I personally feel it's over-represented, but Shadows may well have another perspective. Part of it's proliferation is because a popular author in the Living History genre does so, resulting in many copy-cats, sometimes referred to as the "Brown Boys" or the "Walnut Clones".

Personally I avoid it, sticking to other documented dyes and processes but that's in part because I'm a bit contrary and not necessarily happy to follow the herd.

Swanny
PMEmail Poster               
0 User(s) are reading this topic (0 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll

Celtic RadioTM broadcasts through Live365.com and StreamLicensing.com which are officially licensed under SoundExchange, ASCAP, BMI, SESAC and SOCAN.
©2014 Celtic Radio Network, Highlander Radio, Celtic Moon, Celtic Dance, Ye O' Celtic Pub and Celt-Rock-Radio.
All rights and trademarks reserved. Read our Privacy Policy.
Celtic Graphics ©2014, Cari Buziak

Link to CelticRadio.net!
Link to CelticRadio.net
View Broadcast Status and Statistics!

Best Viewed With IE 8.0 (1680 x 1050 Resolution), Javascript & Cookies Enabled.

[Home] [Top]

Celtic Hearts Gallery | Celtic Mates Dating | My Celtic Friends | Celtic Music Radio | Family Heraldry | Medival Kingdom | Top Celtic Sites | Web Celt Blog | Video Celt