0Ash0Tree0 
Posted: 09-Feb-2008, 12:57 PM
Quote Post

Honored Clan Member

Group: Celtic Nation
ZodiacReed

female

Hi,
Does anyone know anything about the Scottish MacArthurs from Perthshire, the Southern Irish Protestant McKnights from Co. Waterford and the Irish Carr family in general? Or the Carhart/Yates/Sweet families from Cornwall, England (CELTIC NOT ENGLISH!!!)

All of them ended up in eastern Canada between 1803 and 1928.
3 brothers William John, John William and Arthur MacArthur immigrated to Canada on the Rose Ann(e) in 1803-ish
William and his wife Margaret McKnight came in 1836 to Sussex, New Brunswick, Canada.
Carr (Irish) ???
Carhart immigrated to NB in 1928 on the Albertic. My Nan was 9 then but she doesn't know much about her family.

Eventually all these families ended up in Sussex, NB, Canada, they left everybody behind in their native countries and immigrated with just their spouses, children, siblings. I'm trying to do our geneology and find any relatives in the "old" countries.

Thanks!!!
Ash Royal01.gif

--------------------
Many times man lives and dies
Between his two eternities,
That of race and that of soul
And ancient Ireland knew it all.

" To a Scot, the past clings like sand to wet feet,
and is carried about as a burden.
The many ghosts are always a part of them, inescapable."
Geddes MacGregor

Hope, fear, false-joy, and trouble,
Are these four winds which daily toss this bubble,
His breath’s a vapour, and his life’s a span;
Tis glorious misery to be born a man.
~ from a Cornish gravestone

"Now I perceive the devil understands Welsh.”
"God defend me from that Welsh fairy,
Lest he transform me to a piece of cheese!”
William Shakespeare quotes

"Onen hag Oll", One and All (Cornwall's motto)
PMEmail Poster               
Camac
Posted: 09-Feb-2008, 01:26 PM
Quote Post

Main: Registration
Questions: Help
Important: Rules

Zodiac

09/02/08

OAshOTreeO;

If it helps I can provide some info on my step-father Albert Raymond (Ray) McArthur born 20 Aug. 1920, Campbellford Ontario. Married Teresa F. Lee Jan 1946. Troon Scotland;
Father: Hector Raymond McArhtur B: 1898, Nothumberland county.
Mother: Grace Elsie Wade. B: 1898, Chelmsford Eng.

Uncles: Joel & Fred McArthur

Aunt: Rita McArthur married Harry Revoy.

Grand Father: John McArthur B: mid 1800s
Grand Mother: Hannah Redden.

My Dad had a sister Edie of which Iam sorry to say I know very little.

I realize this is not much info but I have been more involved tracing my Mother and Biological FatherDavid Campbell.
My nane by the way is David Campbell-McArthur as Raymond adopted me soon after we came to canada.

Camac.

0Ash0Tree0 
Posted: 09-Feb-2008, 02:07 PM
Quote Post

Honored Clan Member

ZodiacReed

female

I'm not sure we're related (we must be at some point) My MacArthurs came to Eastern Canada and stayed here...not big on travelling I guess. Are you on the official Clan website? It's pretty cool.
PMEmail Poster               
Camac
Posted: 09-Feb-2008, 03:25 PM
Quote Post

Zodiac

I am a McArthur by adoption and a Campbell by birth. It alonf story that goes back to 1942 in Scotland.

I took the liberty to look at your profile and the photo is that of a "Lousome young Celtic Quean".

Camac.

0Ash0Tree0 
Posted: 09-Feb-2008, 04:40 PM
Quote Post

Honored Clan Member

ZodiacReed

female

Ha ha thanks! The red hair and matching eyes are all from my Cornish Nan. Adopted or no you're still in the clan, we don't let go easily- if ever.
I suppose I should do my homework instead of haunting the forum... sad.gif
Until next time,
Slan leat!

P.S. That's my Nan

Attached Image. (Click thumbnail to expand)
Attached Image (Works with IE Only)
PMEmail Poster               
CelticRadio 
Posted: 10-Feb-2008, 11:27 AM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian
Group Icon

Group: Administrator
ZodiacOak

Realm: Toronto, CAN

male

Medieval Kingdom
Rank #74
198,556 Gold!

Hellow Ashtree!

Welcome to the forums! I have done a bit of research finding my MacArthur ancestors. Lucky for me it seems that a number of individuals with greater geneological abilities mapped out the ancesterial line - so it was just a matter of obtaining those documents.

My MacArthur line traces back to Hugh MacArthur of the Annebella - a shipwreck off the coast of PEI in 1770.

Is this brother Arthur MacArthur that of General Douglas MacArthur?

Also I have recently discovered an old Family movie from the 1930's of William James MacArthur of PEI - born in 1858.

Good luck on your geneological travels and I hope you can locate more information on your family line!

smile.gif

--------------------
Celtic Radio DJ
http://www.CelticRadio.net
Celtic Radio Music Network
PMEmail PosterUsers Website My Photo Album               View my Facebook Profile.View my Linked-In Profile.View my Google plus Profile.View my Twitter Profile.View My Space Profile.View my YouTube Profile.
Camac
Posted: 10-Feb-2008, 02:58 PM
Quote Post

Zodiac

I just remembered something my Dad (stepfather) said about 50 odd years ago. It seems after WW2 when he was demob.(discharge) from the British Army)another story) he went to Cladich and Inverarry looking for his roots and when in the library he was approached by the Librarian and ask if he needed help. He told her that he was trying to find out about the MacArthurs her answer was "What do you want with that gang of robbers, looters, and rapers" at which she turned and walked away leaving him standing like an idiot. He also told me that he saw a MacArthur Family tree that dated back to the 8th century but all he really remembered was that General Douglas MacArthur was his 29th cousin.What ever that means.

Camac.

0Ash0Tree0 
Posted: 10-Feb-2008, 05:40 PM
Quote Post

Honored Clan Member

ZodiacReed

female

"Is this brother Arthur MacArthur that of General Douglas MacArthur?" No, I doubt it. If you look at my photo gallery you'll see I've compared my Papa and the General...they look AND ACT a lot a like.

"What do you want with that gang of robbers, looters, and rapers"
People always hate those that have had power. There are 2 branches of MacArthurs and I rather like being decended from psychotic Highlanders...it keeps me busy.

Thanks for the info!
PMEmail Poster               
Camac
Posted: 11-Feb-2008, 07:17 AM
Quote Post

Zodiac

11/02/08

OAshOTreeO;

If you haven't already , read my posted poems. You might get a chuckle.

Camac.

UlsterScotNutt 
Posted: 19-Feb-2008, 03:42 PM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian

ZodiacBirch

Realm: New England, USA

male

Hi,
The McKnight name is associated with Clan MacNaughton and was most likely my ancestors name when they left Scotland for Ireland than changed to McNutt in Ireland than Nutt in the Americas, Massachusetts, 1730. It ended up being McNutt today from Nutt in the 1840's out of Ohio.

There are some great sites and books on clan MacNaughton, a very early and historic clan.

It does get tough to get very specific family connections from across the pond. Many times entire populations of churches, parishes and even towns all left at once with very little other than their clothes and each other. With that many documents and records became lost, stolen, forgotten and or otherwise lost to time.

PS There is an historical connection with General MacArthur and Paul Vories McNutt, the High Commisioner to the Phillipines during WWII and then the !st Ambassador to the Phillipines from the USA. McNutt was a very prominent and well respected statesman.

Best to you and yours.
Fred

--------------------
Be kind, for everyone you meet is fighting a hard battle. Plato(427-347 BC) Philosopher and Educator

Three things in human life are important: The first is to be kind. The second is to be kind. And the third is to be kind. Henry James (1843-1916) Writer

When I was young, I admired clever people. Now that I am old, I admire
kind people. -Abraham Joshua Heschel (1907-1972) Theology Professor
PMEmail PosterMy Photo Album               
0Ash0Tree0 
Posted: 19-Feb-2008, 03:49 PM
Quote Post

Honored Clan Member

ZodiacReed

female

Actually in Southern Ireland we're Mac an Ridire (in Gaelic). My family is from County Waterford not Ulster, even if we are Prod.
PMEmail Poster               
UlsterScotNutt 
Posted: 19-Feb-2008, 04:08 PM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian

ZodiacBirch

Realm: New England, USA

male

There is a family of the clan in southern Ireland and they were Protestant. Their history is online somewhere, I recall perusing it.

Best of luck in your discoveries.
PMEmail PosterMy Photo Album               
0 User(s) are reading this topic (0 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Reply to this topic Quick ReplyStart new topicStart Poll

© Celtic Radio Network
Celtic Radio is a TorontoCast radio station that is based in Canada.
TorontoCast provides music license coverage through SOCAN.
All rights and trademarks reserved. Read our Privacy Policy.

[Home] [Top]