lschillinger 
Posted: 04-Mar-2009, 09:40 AM
Quote Post

Knight of the Round Table

Group: Celtic Nation
ZodiacHazel

Realm: The Heart of it All

female

I'm a huge Harry Potter Fan. I actually came upon the whole thing a bit by accident, but have been addicted ever since. I've even waited in line at midnight to get the last few books smile.gif

I will have to read some of the things that are posted. I've been pining away for another book to fall in love with after the series ended. I love this genre of reading.

--------------------
COURAGE GROWS STRONG AT THE WOUND

"Be happy while you're living, for you're a long time dead."

“Twelve highlanders and a bagpipe make a rebellion.”

user posted image
PMEmail PosterMy Photo Album               
ranger 
Posted: 05-Mar-2009, 12:36 PM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian

ZodiacElder

Realm: Western Kentucky

male

lschillinger, if you haven't read Tolkien , I would definitely go there. Absolute best fantasy series ever!!! (IMO, and millions of others.....). But another that is fantastic is the Shannara series by Terry Brooks. You can go to his website and find a recommended order of reading them. I would start with the Sword of Shannara and that trilogy first. Then to the Heritage series and so on......

His website is http://www.terrybrooks.net/

--------------------
"...so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."

'The Lord of the Rings' - Book one
PMEmail Poster               
Donajhi 
Posted: 05-Mar-2009, 12:45 PM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian

ZodiacBirch

Realm: Fae Hillfort

female

My check book, it has a life of it's own.........Spooky... ghost.gif

--------------------
CHECK MY SITE: BEYOND THE VEIL http://www.gmadventures.com

"I DID NOT, IT WAS THE FAIRY FOLK!"

Scottish by the grace of God

Fairy Day countdown banner

DIOGENES HAS PASSED ME THE LANTERN, STILL LOOKING.....
PMEmail PosterUsers Website My Photo Album               View My Space Profile.
stoirmeil 
Posted: 05-Mar-2009, 02:22 PM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian

ZodiacBirch

Realm: New York

QUOTE (Antwn @ 21-Sep-2008, 07:01 PM)
The Foundation Trilogy - Isaac Asimov
The Wizard of Earthsea - Ursula LeGuin
Dune - Frank Herbert

Wow . . . we have to get some coffee and talk some time. smile.gif

The Earthsea books run to five novels and one extended short story that bridges books four and five. It never stops turning the existing situation on its head, or going deeper into what it is to be human, even when that includes being both human and a dragon. The very best stuff there is.

There is literature in the Young Adult category that is wonderful for any reader -- I recommend some of Peter Dickinson's work, notably The Tears of the Salamander and The Ropemaker.

Diane Duane's first novel was fantastic -- The Door into Fire. She has continued to write things for young adults that I have not kept up with, but that first one I put with LeGuin's kind of work, where the fantasy elements only serve to take the reader deeper into the human condition. Parts of it could break your heart.
PMEmail Poster               
Taliesin 
Posted: 07-Mar-2009, 11:26 PM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian

ZodiacIvy

Realm: Central Valley, California, USA

male

The genre of fantasy is such a broad genre, but I agree with many of the recommendations here.

George R. R. Martin's Song of Ice and Fire - A most excellent series, if you like medieval political intrigue. And his character writing is absolutely amazing. It's not a swords and sorcery type of novel, though. Plenty of swords, but the sorcery is rare and dark. I love what I've read of this series so far. I only wish he'd write the dad-gum-blasted next book!!!

Harry Potter Series - This series is some of the best storytelling I've ever seen. The first 1 or 2 books may have been "kid's books", but there's no way the last few are. Rowling tells an excellent story, really.

Melanie Rawn's Dragon Prince and Dragon Star trilogies - I have never fallen so in love with characters as I did Rawn's. She writes love like no other writer, and I thoroughly enjoyed her innovative magic system! A most excellent 6-book read!

Robert Jordan's Wheel of Time series - There are pro's and cons with this series, but I quite enjoyed it. The story bogs down in some parts, and the original author passed away before finishing it (George R.R. Martin, be warned), but the author picked to finish up the last book should finish it this year, and I'm looking forward to the conclusion of the series.

That's all from me for now! smile.gif

--------------------
-Taliesin

A Scotsman Abroad
PMEmail PosterUsers Website My Photo Album               
InRi 
Posted: 08-Mar-2009, 11:11 AM
Quote Post

Chieftain of the Saxons

ZodiacVine

Realm: Arbing, Upper Austria

male

A short time ago I've got hold of some stuff by Stephen Donaldson named "The Thomas Covenant chronicles". Two bulky books (r.a. 1600 pages per book) which include the following stories:
"Lord Fouls's bane"
"The Illearth war"
"The power that preserves"
"The wounded land"
"The one tree" and
"White gold wielder"
I never heared about Donaldson before and so I began to read.
At the beginning the story was a little bit unwieldly to read and first I thought one more of these many fantasy books with a story as usual but after a time became the story really absorbing. I found a dark, daunting but fascinating atmosphere as soon as interesting and complex characters so that I could stopp to read by "physical force" only. (I really slept less lately wink.gif )
As I finished to read I was amazed about the abrupt end of the story until I heard that in the near future the chronicles will be continued in German. (in English it is already available)
I'm really exited how the story will continue... - "The Thomas Covenant chronicles" could become one of my favourite fantasy books...

Ingo

--------------------
Séreméla 
Posted: 01-Dec-2012, 08:58 AM
Quote Post

The Wolfblood Priestess
Group Icon

Group: Celtic Princess
ZodiacAsh

Realm: United States

female

I know this is a died out topic but I always enjoyed a good Eragon, Harry Potter, Narina or Lord of the Rings when I get the chance to read them.

--------------------
"In fear I hurried this way and that. I had the taste of blood and chocolate in my mouth, the one as hateful as the other."Hermann Hesse, Steppenwolf

Robert Phoenix 
Posted: 02-Dec-2012, 11:10 PM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian

ZodiacIvy

Realm: Ironwood, MI

male

Not long now before the Hobbit movie is out! And its got the 7th Doctor(Sylvester McCoy) from Doctor Who in it.

--------------------
Unavoidably Detained by the World

"Irishness is not primary a question of birth or blood or language; it is the condition on being involved in the Irish situation, and usually of being mauled by it."-Conor Cruise O'Brien

Pour mouth to mouth
PMEmail Poster               
Séreméla 
Posted: 05-Dec-2012, 11:45 PM
Quote Post

The Wolfblood Priestess
Group Icon

Group: Celtic Princess
ZodiacAsh

Realm: United States

female

I know!! I am soo excited for it!!
0 User(s) are reading this topic (0 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll

Celtic RadioTM broadcasts through Live365.com and StreamLicensing.com which are officially licensed under SoundExchange, ASCAP, BMI, SESAC and SOCAN.
©2014 Celtic Radio Network, Highlander Radio, Celtic Moon, Celtic Dance, Ye O' Celtic Pub and Celt-Rock-Radio.
All rights and trademarks reserved. Read our Privacy Policy.
Celtic Graphics ©2014, Cari Buziak

Link to CelticRadio.net!
Link to CelticRadio.net
View Broadcast Status and Statistics!

Best Viewed With IE 8.0 (1680 x 1050 Resolution), Javascript & Cookies Enabled.

[Home] [Top]

Celtic Hearts Gallery | Celtic Mates Dating | My Celtic Friends | Celtic Music Radio | Family Heraldry | Medival Kingdom | Top Celtic Sites | Web Celt Blog | Video Celt