TandVh 
Posted: 07-Jul-2007, 06:37 PM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian

Group: Celtic Nation
ZodiacAlder

Realm: The countryside around Exeter, California

male

Anyone having trouble with critters this year?
Aphids are destroying my Crepe Myrtle trees and going after all the roses and fuschias on my patio. Seems like an especially bad year for them! My Son's ornamental horticulture teacher tells him it's almost epidemic here in the SanJuaquine Valley this season.
Just a little frustrated that these little guys are so destructive- I hate spraying chemicals unless absolutely necessary.

--------------------
TandVh
PMEmail PosterMy Photo Album               
Rindy 
Posted: 07-Aug-2007, 11:50 PM
Quote Post

Peasant

ZodiacBirch

female

Hi TandVh, I hate those little buggers. I have used soapy water and actually went out and bought lady bugs which love to eat aphids..
I admit it helped but they were back the next year. I can't reach the tops of the trees so that may be why they are coming back. I don't know. It will be interesting to see if anyone has any ideas..
PMEmail Poster               
ogdenmusic 
Posted: 16-Oct-2007, 11:37 PM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian
Group Icon

Group: Founder
ZodiacWillow

Realm: Holly Springs, NC

male

Some of the same advice. I have found that a mixture of your own soapy water works the best. I've tried products from the store (seven, Miracle grow products) and they didn't to a very good job. Like Rindy, we tried lady bugs too but had a hard time with them staying in the garden. They normally went elsewhere after about a weeks time. Hope next years garden/flowers are Aphid free biggrin.gif

--------------------
GO KENTUCKY WILDCATS
PMEmail Poster               
Rindy 
Posted: 16-Oct-2007, 11:48 PM
Quote Post

Peasant

ZodiacBirch

female

Hi ogdenmusic, I know you probably don't like to spray chemicals but malathion works really good if ya can reach the top of the trees with it.. I hate those aphids they make the leaves sticky its just icky.. let me know if you come up with something that works. I know COLD weather....hahaha

Slainte
PMEmail Poster               
ogdenmusic 
Posted: 17-Oct-2007, 12:06 AM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian
Group Icon

Group: Founder
ZodiacWillow

Realm: Holly Springs, NC

male

Thanks for the tip, will keep you posted.
PMEmail Poster               
TandVh 
Posted: 17-Oct-2007, 08:21 AM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian

ZodiacAlder

Realm: The countryside around Exeter, California

male

QUOTE (Rindy @ 16-Oct-2007, 11:48 PM)
Hi ogdenmusic, I know you probably don't like to spray chemicals but malathion works really good if ya can reach the top of the trees with it.. I hate those aphids they make the leaves sticky its just icky.. let me know if you come up with something that works. I know COLD weather....hahaha

Slainte

I hate to use too many chemicals in the garden, but, I agree malathion is about all that can really knock a bad aphid infestation out. Ugh- I didn't get the spraying done soon enough to save some of the roses, but---- fall is upon us now and the cold winter will kill off most of these varmints- wonder what springs going to bring?

PMEmail PosterMy Photo Album               
munbeam 
Posted: 04-Feb-2008, 10:06 PM
Quote Post

Peasant

ZodiacRowan

female

Hello all,

I saw the comments about aphids and have a few ideas. I grow organically and found that when I have bad aphid problems, first start with water, spray your roses with a good spray to knock most of the buggers off and the ladybugs or green lacewings can usually take care of the rest. At times, I find myself just knocking them off myself. They actually die quite quickly. If you still can't keep them in check, go out to Gardens Away. They have a number for great produces to help with your gardening needs. If you can't keep the ladybugs in the garden it's usually because the chemicals are keeping them away and a neighbor may have a better environment for them.

I have extensive veggie gardens and as much in flower gardens. I grow pretty much every type/color of rose. I love my roses and the first few years I really fought the bugs/diseases. I was completely organic with my veggies, but felt that I just couldn't maintain my roses without chemicals and since my flower beds weren't anywhere near my veggies I didn't see the harm. Then it dawned on me that I was spending more time in my rose gardens than my veggie gardens and there was a problem. I slowly weened myself off all chemicals, over a few years, and now my roses require very little work at all. The periodic trimming, I deadhead, remove any bad leaves and check for bad bugs about once a week. The ladybugs, lacewings, bees, and butterflies are abound. I hardly even water them and yet they are gorgeous. I use a compose tea of them a few times a year and they bloom early and continue to bloom late into the year. And I have roses in my vases for the house.

Angie
in PA
PMEmail Poster               
0 User(s) are reading this topic (0 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll

Celtic RadioTM broadcasts through Live365.com and StreamLicensing.com which are officially licensed under SoundExchange, ASCAP, BMI, SESAC and SOCAN.
2014 Celtic Radio Network, Highlander Radio, Celtic Moon, Celtic Dance, Ye O' Celtic Pub and Celt-Rock-Radio.
All rights and trademarks reserved. Read our Privacy Policy.
Celtic Graphics 2014, Cari Buziak

Link to CelticRadio.net!
Link to CelticRadio.net
View Broadcast Status and Statistics!

Best Viewed With IE 8.0 (1680 x 1050 Resolution), Javascript & Cookies Enabled.

[Home] [Top]

Celtic Hearts Gallery | Celtic Mates Dating | My Celtic Friends | Celtic Music Radio | Family Heraldry | Medival Kingdom | Top Celtic Sites | Web Celt Blog | Video Celt