> Being a veterinarian, I had been called to examine a ten-year-old Irish
> Wolfhound named Belker. The dog's owners, Ron, his wife Lisa, and their
> little boy Shane, were all very attached to Belker, and they were hoping for
>
> a miracle.
>
> I examined Belker and found he was dying of cancer. I told the family we
> couldn't do anything for Belker, and offered to perform the euthanasia
> procedure for the old dog in their home.
>
> As we made arrangements, Ron and Lisa told me they thought it would be good
> for six-year-old Shane to observe the procedure. They felt as though Shane
> might learn something from the experience.
>
> The next day, I felt the familiar catch in my throat as Belker's family
> surrounded him. Shane seemed so calm, petting the old dog for the last time,
>
> that I wondered if he understood what was going on. Within a few minutes,
> Belker slipped pe acefully away.
>
> The little boy seemed to accept Belker's transition without any difficulty
> or confusion. We sat together for a while after Belker's Death, wondering
> aloud about the sad fact that animal lives are shorter than human lives.
> Shane, who had been listening quietly, piped up, 'I know why.'
>
> Startled, we all turned to him. What came out of his mouth next stunned me.
> I'd never heard a more comforting explanation.
>
> He said, 'People are born so that they can learn how to live a good Life --
> like loving everybody all the time and being nice, right?' The Six-year-old
> continued, 'Well, dogs already know how to do that, so they don't have to
> stay as long.'

--------------------
"If you want to make an apple pie from scratch, you must first create the universe."
Carl Sagan
PMEmail PosterUsers Website               
Dogshirt 
Posted: 08-Jul-2008, 01:53 PM
Quote Post

Lord of the Northern Plains
Group Icon

Group: Founder
ZodiacElder

Realm: Washington THE State

male

Hi all! I'm posting this here because it WILL end up here without
outside intervention.
I have an Online friend down in Portland, Or. that has a young Dachshund with some VERY serious health issues. He has a twisted spine and a liver condition called PSS(?) where a valve in his liver has shut down and allows toxins to
back up into his system. Both conditions are correctable, but the cost far exceeds
Amanda's resources.
First let me post the link to her page and you can read some of his story. His name is Smuckers, like the jam.

http://geocities.com/doxiemomma87/

Amanda has set up a way for people to donate if they wish, by calling the Vet's office and having them apply ALL monies to the bill, NO money goes to her.
If any of you feel that you could spare a few dollars in this tight economic time to help save this little guy, send me a message and I will get the details to you.

Thanks for your time.

beer_mug.gif

--------------------
Hoka Hey!
The more Liberals I meet, the more I like my dogs!
PMEmail PosterMy Photo Album               
piobmhorpiper 
Posted: 07-Jan-2009, 01:00 PM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian

Group: Celtic Nation
ZodiacAsh

Realm: Ontario Canada

male

Well they say to talk about a loss helps the healing process ....so here it goes. My wife and I have enjoyed the company of dogs since we were married almost thirty years ago. Just recently we had to put one of our dogs down six weeks before Christmas. She was an amazing 17 years old when we gave her back to the Lord. Ivory was a mix of yellow Lab and Greyhound. She really didn't think she was a dog. She would try to do things other dogs do like rubbing her head on the ground to scratch an itch and end up falling over. She'd bark at something to make sure her older sister (Ebony, I'll get to her in a minute) was paying attention and run and hide while the boss, Rimshot (a Jack russell) took over. We miss her.
And then two weeks before Christmas, Ebony(Lab/Spaniel mix), our oldest, lost the ability to walk. no one believes me but she was to be NINETEEN this spring. My Granddaughter who is 16months is still looking for her when she visits us and I get a tear in my eye every time she asks for her. Now Shorty (Rimshot) is all alone. He's gotten a lot quieter now that the girls are gone. He will be 14 this year. I hope he hangs in there awhile longer. He's healthy and gets lots of exercise.

God love you for starting this thread,
Mark

--------------------
The Scots of course insist that the pipes produce music. But the point is after all not too important. For those who love them, the pipes can evoke more vividly than any other instrument, high emotion, they can inspire valor, and tell of tragic tales of battles long ago. They can call forth merriment or sentiment. It does not matter what the sound is called, those who are deaf to its merits would not understand anyway.
user posted image
user posted image
PMEmail PosterUsers WebsiteMy Photo Album               
valpal59 
Posted: 07-Jan-2009, 02:25 PM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian

ZodiacHolly

Realm: Texas Panhandle

female

Piobmhorpiper,
I am so sorry for your loss. My thoughts and prayers are with you and your family.
We lost all 3 of our old labs last year. The last one was on Christmas Eve. Sadie was 16, Cody was 16 and Max made it past his 17th birthday. We now have Bailey. She is an 11 mo. old yellow Lab.
Talking does help and the people here are the greatest as they understand.

Val

--------------------
user posted imageuser posted imageuser posted image

"He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog. You are his life, his love, his leader. He will be yours, faithful and true, to the last beat of his heart.

You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion."

Author Unknown
PMEmail Poster               View my Facebook Profile.View My Space Profile.
piobmhorpiper 
Posted: 08-Jan-2009, 09:42 AM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian

ZodiacAsh

male

Val
Thank you for your kind words and I offer my thoughts and condolences to you for your loss. Lossing a pet to illness, old age or an accident hurts as bad as losing a close family member. I know it helps to bring a new pet into the family soon after a loss, but I think we will wait until it's Rimshot's time. we will probably go to the humane scociety and rescue a dog when it's time for another. Having multiple dogs (3) was always a bit extra work, but they kept each other company while we were at work and of course kept us company and well excercised constantly.
rip_1.gif
LadyOfAvalon 
Posted: 08-Jan-2009, 11:17 AM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian
Group Icon

Group: Scotland
ZodiacVine

female

QUOTE (piobmhorpiper @ 07-Jan-2009, 01:00 PM)
Well they say to talk about a loss helps the healing process ....so here it goes. My wife and I have enjoyed the company of dogs since we were married almost thirty years ago. Just recently we had to put one of our dogs down six weeks before Christmas. She was an amazing 17 years old when we gave her back to the Lord. Ivory was a mix of yellow Lab and Greyhound. She really didn't think she was a dog. She would try to do things other dogs do like rubbing her head on the ground to scratch an itch and end up falling over. She'd bark at something to make sure her older sister (Ebony, I'll get to her in a minute) was paying attention and run and hide while the boss, Rimshot (a Jack russell) took over. We miss her.
And then two weeks before Christmas, Ebony(Lab/Spaniel mix), our oldest, lost the ability to walk. no one believes me but she was to be NINETEEN this spring. My Granddaughter who is 16months is still looking for her when she visits us and I get a tear in my eye every time she asks for her. Now Shorty (Rimshot) is all alone. He's gotten a lot quieter now that the girls are gone. He will be 14 this year. I hope he hangs in there awhile longer. He's healthy and gets lots of exercise.

God love you for starting this thread,
Mark

piobmhorpiper,

I am really sorry to hear about your beloved animals's passing this past month.
For animal lovers like us it is indeed very hard expecially after so many years by our sides.But as the same as us they are not eternal and their life expectancy is shorter then us so we kind of hurt ourselves in some way knowing that they will leave before us. But still animals are our friends and yes they are certainly part of our family.

We too had two wonderful friends that we lost some years ago now.And I certainly believe you when you state the age of your dogs.For mine and expecially of a Siberian Husky that passed away at 15 and 4months year of age and the other one ironically died 2 years after him at the same age. My husky was the first to go, he died in his sleep under our balcony where I would put straws on the ground for them to sleep at night so that they would be protected from snow and wind and when I discovered him his little (see picture) was just sitting by him like she was watching over him...she passed away 2 years after in my arms 2 days before my wedding anniversary of a heart attack.
We never had any dogs since then...and I really do miss my friends.

And in November 2007 my Zezette (cat) passed in my arms at a little bit over 17 years old.

I really do understand what you and your wife are going through and I know that even though it's hard you will always have fond memories of them...like I do.

Here are my now long tim gone beloved friends.These pictures were taken about a month or so of their passing. They did not look like old dogs except a bit more white around the face.For my husky had a black mask around his eyes and as you can see it's not there anymore when this picture was taken.

LOA smile.gif

Attached Image. Works with IE only! (Click thumbnail to expand)
Attached Image (Works with IE Only)

--------------------
"Few men are brave:many become so through training and discipline."
Flavius Vegetius Renatus

"I think a hero is an ordinary individual who finds strenght to persevere and endure in spite of overwhelming obstacles."
Christopher Reeve
PM My Photo Album               
valpal59 
Posted: 08-Jan-2009, 12:21 PM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian

ZodiacHolly

female

Piobmhorpiper,
We had decided not to get anymore dogs after the last one passed away. We made it from Dec. to the end of April, when we brought home Bailey. I caved in before Hubby did.

Val
DesertRose 
Posted: 09-Jan-2009, 01:55 AM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian

ZodiacAlder

Realm: The desert of Arizona

female

Dearest Piobmhorpiper,

I wanted to express my sincere and heartfelt condolences to you during this recent loss.

I have had 7 rescue Shelties in the last 24-1/2 years. My last dog who went to doggie heaven had congestive heart failure as well. It is so difficult to make that decision as to whether to put them down, but I believe your doggie friend lets you know. I am sure your heart is breaking at this time and my thoughts and prayers go out to you.

Take care.

--------------------
Fine art & photography by DESERT ROSE IMAGES
http://www.desertrose-images.com
Rindy 
Posted: 09-Jan-2009, 04:28 PM
Quote Post

Peasant

ZodiacBirch

female

piobmhorpipe,r I am so sorry to hear of your loss. It's so hard to put them down, and right before the holidays. Seventeen years is a lot of memories. They do become part of the family. I think that is so sad about your grandaughter looking for Ebony. Poor Shorty. I think dogs go through a grieving period as well. My heart goes out to you and your family.
Let us know how things are going. I do think time helps but I still have thoughts of every pet I have had during my lifetime.

Slainte
PMEmail Poster               
piobmhorpiper 
Posted: 02-Feb-2009, 07:02 AM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian

ZodiacAsh

male

Thank you all for your kind words and personal experiences, they are most comforting. Rimshot has changed quite a bit over the last little while. He has become alot quieter now. He used to carry on when someone would knock on the door, but now he just gives a couple of barks to let people know that he is here. He also used to get quite anxious befroe Ebony and Ivory left us when my Grandaughter was here and now he pretty well ignors her. I've started taking him out with me in the truck when I go out. He never was much for getting into vehicles but he seems to enjoy it now.
Thank you all once more for listening you have been a great help.
CelticQueenCelticLord 
Posted: 06-Feb-2009, 12:59 AM
Quote Post

Chieftain of the Clan

ZodiacRowan

Realm: Los Lunas, NM, USA

female

My heart goes out to all of you. this is such a nice thing to do, having a place like this to talk about our babies that we have lost or are about to.
I have a black and white cocker, Oreo Cookie, who is almost 14. He never thought he was a dog. Sat in my lap all the time, sat on his butt in the corner of the couch with his front paws up like a person and watched TV and so much more. He was my protector, my friend and biggest buddie.
I say was because now he cant get on the couch, he is blind and deaf to almost all sounds except the other dogs barking. He is getting really stiff and walks around with his nose at my heels so he can keep track of me. Where ever I am for the most part he is there to now more than he ever was before. I keep thinking each morning when I wake up he is going to be gone and each morning he is still here thank goodness. I hope he is not suffering or in pain and I dont have the heart to have him put down either. I hope that is not wrong.
Thanks for listening

--------------------
When the day shall come, that we do part; if my last words are not 'I love you'--ye'll ken it was because I didna have time. (Fiery Cross Quotes)
Also a Diana Gabaldon, Jamie Frazier lover
piobmhorpiper 
Posted: 06-Feb-2009, 07:22 AM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian

ZodiacAsh

male

CelticQueenCelticLord It is difficult to make a decision for such a beloved family member, best fiend and confidant. I had to make that decision twice last year just before christmas. Here is a little poem that helped me. God bless you and Oreo Cookie.

A Dog's Prayer
Author: Unknown

Treat me kindly, my beloved friend, for no heart in all the world is more grateful for kindness than the loving heart of mine.

Do not break my spirit with a stick, for though I lick your hand between blows, your patience and understanding will more quickly teach me the things you would have me learn.

Speak to me often, for your voice is the world's sweetest music, as you must know by the fierce wagging of my tail when your footsteps fall upon my waiting ear.

Please take me inside when it is cold and wet, for I ask no greater glory than the privilege of sitting at your feet beside the hearth.

Keep my pan filled with water, for I cannot tell you when I suffer thirst.

Feed me clean food that I may stay well, to romp and play and do your bidding, to walk by your side and stand ready, willing, and able to protect you with my life, should your life be in danger.

And my friend, when I am very old and no longer able to enjoy good health, hearing and sight, do not make heroic efforts to keep me going. I shall leave this Earth knowing with the last breath I draw, that my fate was always safest in your hands... I will always be your BEST FRIEND.
CelticQueenCelticLord 
Posted: 06-Feb-2009, 10:06 AM
Quote Post

Chieftain of the Clan

ZodiacRowan

Realm: Los Lunas, NM, USA

female

Thank you so much
valpal59 
Posted: 06-Feb-2009, 10:11 AM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian

ZodiacHolly

female

Piobmhorpiper,
Thank you so much for sharing that poem. Tears are streaming down my face and the mascara is running. I hope you do not mind, but I am going to print that off, laminate it and hang it on my fridge.

Val
piobmhorpiper 
Posted: 06-Feb-2009, 12:13 PM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian

ZodiacAsh

male

I always tear up when I read that poem. I found it in my vet's office on our visit to him before christmas. He told me it moves him the same way. Just when you think a vetranarian has nerves of steel and can hide their feelings, your wrong. They love animals so much they made a career of tending to their health needs and although they don't get as close to your pet as you do they certainly understand your feelings of loss and saddness.
0 User(s) are reading this topic (0 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll

Celtic RadioTM broadcasts through Live365.com and StreamLicensing.com which are officially licensed under SoundExchange, ASCAP, BMI, SESAC and SOCAN.
2014 Celtic Radio Network, Highlander Radio, Celtic Moon, Celtic Dance, Ye O' Celtic Pub and Celt-Rock-Radio.
All rights and trademarks reserved. Read our Privacy Policy.
Celtic Graphics 2014, Cari Buziak

Link to CelticRadio.net!
Link to CelticRadio.net
View Broadcast Status and Statistics!

Best Viewed With IE 8.0 (1680 x 1050 Resolution), Javascript & Cookies Enabled.

[Home] [Top]

Celtic Hearts Gallery | Celtic Mates Dating | My Celtic Friends | Celtic Music Radio | Family Heraldry | Medival Kingdom | Top Celtic Sites | Web Celt Blog | Video Celt