Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )
   Mobile App

Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll

> Current Events, Discuss current events around the world!
Bookmark and Share
Patch 
Posted: 19-Jun-2008, 10:21 AM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian
Group Icon

Group: Scotland
ZodiacIvy

Realm: America, Mid West

male

Ex-Bear Stearns managers arrested at their homes
By TOM HAYS, Associated Press Writer
39 minutes ago

I do not have the complete story yet

Slàinte,    

Patch    
PMEmail Poster               
Patch 
Posted: 19-Jun-2008, 10:37 AM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian
Group Icon

ZodiacIvy

male

QUOTE (UlsterScotNutt @ 19-Jun-2008, 03:17 AM)
C-Span live last nite was interesting. A chart of oil drilling permits, wells drilled and the price of gas, all graphed on one chart.
The price of gas climbed regardless of permits and wells drilled.
In fact there are now more permits issued than wells drilled because the oil companies have no desire to drill at anywhere near their capabilities, nor are they willing to invest in the difficult extractions, even when they did drill to the full complement of permits, oil prices still did not drop, but climbed continously.
Then with refineries, even when there was a 50% tax credit to build them , the major oil companies refused and stated they had no interest in building refineries. The ROI wasn't there. Todays refineries are currently running at 80 t0 88% of capacity and again the oil companies say they have no interest in increasing capacity.

Reasons: the Return On Investment is far greater to do nothing than to put their money into oil drilling and refineries. They make far more money operating like they do than by any other means. Remember, corporations are in the business of making money. The most efficient way to make money and increase profits is to continue to function as they do. How many Mobil-Exxon stockholders are screaming at them to put their profits into non-profit making ventures?

Answers: there is no one answer, though that is the the current public policy approach. OldRaven covered this.

Other shames: Oil companies claiming to be "Going Green" in all their commercials ,Citgo, BP, Shell. What a joke. I forget what Mobil-Exxons total income was, but we all know their profits were 40 billion last year. Out of just their profits, the total investment in alternative energy was 10 million.
With the current policy of oil being an unregulated public commodity, oil companies have absolutely no reason to look elsewhere for profits.

Oil is not an open market product, oil prices are not ruled by the supply and demand model as stated by the oil companies to Congress. Oil is a limited, controlled source supply and limited distribution channels with a fixed growth demand.

USN king.gif beer_mug.gif note.gif thumbsup.gif Vote for me

I have pegged the problem all along as being the oil industry. No one, including the government, will solve it. It is up to US. The previous Baer Stearns Executive arrests as report on AP wire service 45 min ago are the kind of things that will shake the system up. The oil Execs lied to the House and Senate when they testified under oath that the profits were justified as they were being reinvested in exploration. I am not brilliant but I know in my little Photography business, if I buy a piece of equipment or new technology with my profits, that portion is no longer profit.

Slàinte,    

Patch    
PMEmail Poster               
John Clements 
Posted: 19-Jun-2008, 04:16 PM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian

Group: Celtic Nation
ZodiacElder

male

Question, why didn't Bush drill for oil off shore and else where in the states, when the republicans had controle of the white house, and congress? My guess is, because it was much easier to steal it, at the cost of our rights and the blood of young Americans.

--------------------
We’re all poets, only some of us write it down. JC 9/27/08

Anyone who has the courage to disagree, deserves all do respect. JC 4/28/08

Life is a loosing battle, so you might as well live it up.
J.C. 3/29/08

Life should be like skiing, you have the most fun on the way down. J.C. 8/17/07

Take their word for it, and that’s just what you’ll get.
J.C. 3/19/07

Only the truth is worth the ultimate sacrifice.
J.C. 1/26/06

Compared to the far right, the far left is somewhere in the middle. J.C. 2/22/06

I’ll be the first to apologies, as long as I get one back.
J.C. 3/7/06

It’s a happy man, who can laugh at himself.

If you’re looking for a new experience, don’t hire someone with a lot of it. J.C. sometime in 1990
PMEmail Poster               
UlsterScotNutt 
Posted: 19-Jun-2008, 05:47 PM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian

ZodiacBirch

Realm: New England, USA

male

There is no short term answer to this oil price issue. Heck, last month Congress stopped diverting oil to the strategic oil reserves and Bush agreed , yet oil prices did not go down, they went up! And as long as Congress insists on grandstanding and playing partisan answer politics, knowing full well neither party will get any results for the near term, this issue will persist. They are just looking to play the game of "see what we are trying to do for you, but they won't let us". Election year rhetoric just produces theatrics for the gullible publics consumption.

--------------------
Be kind, for everyone you meet is fighting a hard battle. Plato(427-347 BC) Philosopher and Educator

Three things in human life are important: The first is to be kind. The second is to be kind. And the third is to be kind. Henry James (1843-1916) Writer

When I was young, I admired clever people. Now that I am old, I admire
kind people. -Abraham Joshua Heschel (1907-1972) Theology Professor
PMEmail PosterMy Photo Album               
Patch 
Posted: 20-Jun-2008, 11:49 AM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian
Group Icon

ZodiacIvy

male

John Clements & UlsterScotNutt

The last two posts display tremendous insight into the cause of our problems. We may have to wait on History to tell us exactly why it happened.

Slàinte,    

Patch    
PMEmail Poster               
UlsterScotNutt 
Posted: 20-Jun-2008, 05:30 PM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian

ZodiacBirch

Realm: New England, USA

male

Has anyone done the math to the volume of wealth that is being transferred from the working class to the wealthy? IT IS PHENOMENAL!!!
PMEmail PosterMy Photo Album               
Patch 
Posted: 20-Jun-2008, 05:37 PM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian
Group Icon

ZodiacIvy

male

I suspect that when the dust has settled there will be no middle class.

Slàinte,    

Patch    
PMEmail Poster               
Camac
Posted: 21-Jun-2008, 08:16 AM
Quote Post

Main: Registration
Questions: Help
Important: Rules

Zodiac

Patch;

McCain was up here in Ottawa yesterday giving a speech to The Economic Club Of Canada. At one juncture in his ramblings he advocated the "Harmonization of Energy Policies". As Canada is the largest supplier of energy to the U.S. what that means to most Canadians is "GIVE US MORE". More Oil, more Natural Gas, more Electricity, and by the way we will also take your Water.Some times it seems to us in the North that all that we are is a "Smorgasborg" for the states.

Camac.

Patch 
Posted: 21-Jun-2008, 01:51 PM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian
Group Icon

ZodiacIvy

male

QUOTE (Camac @ 21-Jun-2008, 02:16 AM)
Patch;

McCain was up here in Ottawa yesterday giving a speech to The Economic Club Of Canada. At one juncture in his ramblings he advocated the "Harmonization of Energy Policies". As Canada is the largest supplier of energy to the U.S. what that means to most Canadians is "GIVE US MORE". More Oil, more Natural Gas, more Electricity, and by the way we will also take your Water.Some times it seems to us in the North that all that we are is a "Smorgasborg" for the states.

Camac.

We got no coverage of that trip at all. That is the policy of our representatives. Use all others reserves first. I have been contacting my representative and senators expressing my opposition to piping water from the great lakes to our South and West. The water is jointly owned and there is no way we could divide it by ownership. China's one child policy is almost a necessity but will never happen here. Along those same lines, the lack of water in Georgia is due to the fact it is being used by Florida. (an extreme concentration of people) In the West and Southwest water was "gold". Water rights were purchased years ago and belonged to the land owner. People were killed for trying to steal water. We could again have civil wars over water. It is a necessary item of survival.

Slàinte,    

Patch

"Love your Country but never trust your Government!"
PMEmail Poster               
Camac
Posted: 21-Jun-2008, 02:39 PM
Quote Post

Zodiac

QUOTE (Patch @ 21-Jun-2008, 01:51 PM)
QUOTE (Camac @ 21-Jun-2008, 02:16 AM)
Patch;

Camac.

We got no coverage of that trip at all. That is the policy of our representatives. Use all others reserves first. I have been contacting my representative and senators expressing my opposition to piping water from the great lakes to our South and West. The water is jointly owned and there is no way we could divide it by ownership. China's one child policy is almost a necessity but will never happen here. Along those same lines, the lack of water in Georgia is due to the fact it is being used by Florida. (an extreme concentration of people) In the West and Southwest water was "gold". Water rights were purchased years ago and belonged to the land owner. People were killed for trying to steal water. We could again have civil wars over water. It is a necessary item of survival.

Slàinte,    

Patch

"Love your Country but never trust your Government!"

Patch;

I can't remember who said it but it was stated that " Just as the majority of Wars to-day are being fought over oil, in the future Wars will be waged over Water."

Camac.

Patch 
Posted: 21-Jun-2008, 03:55 PM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian
Group Icon

ZodiacIvy

male

I saw that quoted a week or two ago. You can survive without food for a month or more. Lack of hydration will remove one from the picture in days. Mexico I believe is already complaining that we are not following water treaties.

Slàinte,    

Patch    
PMEmail Poster               
dcampbellmcarthur 
Posted: 21-Jun-2008, 04:31 PM
Quote Post

Peasant

ZodiacBirch

QUOTE (Patch @ 21-Jun-2008, 03:55 PM)
I saw that quoted a week or two ago. You can survive without food for a month or more. Lack of hydration will remove one from the picture in days. Mexico I believe is already complaining that we are not following water treaties.

Slàinte,    

Patch    

Patch;

I am not really up on it and will have to do some more research but if I'm correct there are clause in NAFTA governing the trade of water.

Camac.
PMEmail Poster               
Camac
Posted: 21-Jun-2008, 04:45 PM
Quote Post

Zodiac

How did I end up becoming dcampbellmcarthur?

Camac.

Patch 
Posted: 21-Jun-2008, 05:38 PM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian
Group Icon

ZodiacIvy

male

QUOTE (dcampbellmcarthur @ 21-Jun-2008, 10:31 AM)
QUOTE (Patch @ 21-Jun-2008, 03:55 PM)
I saw that quoted a week or two ago.  You can survive without food for a month or more.  Lack of hydration will remove one from the picture in days.  Mexico I believe is already complaining that we are not following water treaties.

Slàinte,    

Patch    

Patch;

I am not really up on it and will have to do some more research but if I'm correct there are clause in NAFTA governing the trade of water.

Camac.

As I recall the complaint was, that too much water was being diverted to California.

Slàinte,    

Patch    
PMEmail Poster               
Camac
Posted: 21-Jun-2008, 08:57 PM
Quote Post

Zodiac

Patch;

Methinks that people do not realize that water is not a renewable resource. All the water that ever was or ever will be has been here from the beginning and is just recycled.

Camac.

0 User(s) are reading this topic (0 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll

Celtic RadioTM broadcasts through Live365.com and StreamLicensing.com which are officially licensed under SoundExchange, ASCAP, BMI, SESAC and SOCAN.
©2014 Celtic Radio Network, Highlander Radio, Celtic Moon, Celtic Dance, Ye O' Celtic Pub and Celt-Rock-Radio.
All rights and trademarks reserved. Read our Privacy Policy.
Celtic Graphics ©2014, Cari Buziak

Link to CelticRadio.net!
Link to CelticRadio.net
View Broadcast Status and Statistics!

Best Viewed With IE 8.0 (1680 x 1050 Resolution), Javascript & Cookies Enabled.

[Home] [Top]

Celtic Hearts Gallery | Celtic Mates Dating | My Celtic Friends | Celtic Music Radio | Family Heraldry | Medival Kingdom | Top Celtic Sites | Web Celt Blog | Video Celt