Posted: 05-Feb-2007, 11:08 PM
Quote Post

An American Guardian of the Realm
Group Icon

Group: Founder
ZodiacReed

Realm: Fountain Valley, Calif.

male

At the Top of the World, in the Yukon-Alaskan Interior, an epic event takes place every year that few people from "down south" have experienced. Covering 1000 miles between Whitehorse, Yukon Territory and Fairbanks, Alaska during the depths of the Arctic winter, the Yukon Quest is known as the 'toughest sled dog race in the world'.

The Yukon Quest Trail follows historic Gold Rush and Mail Delivery routes from the turn of the 20th Century. Once the travel highways of the Northern frontier, the trail now comes alive every February with the breath of hundreds of sled dogs. Teams of one human 'musher' and 14 canine athletes, travel for two weeks, racing through some of the last pristine wilderness remaining in North America.

The Yukon Quest is dedicated to excellence in canine care. Yukon Quest mushers are coaches, cooks, cheerleaders, and companions to their dogs. Yukon Quest dogs are elite, marathon athletes. Bred from stock that survived and thrived during the Klondike Gold Rush, no animal on earth can match them for endurance, dedication and their ability to perform in the extreme conditions of the North.

The Spirit of the Yukon Quest is still true to its northern soul. Mushers carry mandatory equipment, food and supplies at all times. They cannot replace their sleds, and are not permitted to accept any help, except in Dawson City (the home of the Klondike Gold Rush) the half-way point along the race route. Ten checkpoints lie along the trail, some more than 200 miles apart. Teams are truly on their own, relying on a combination of toughness and skill, the commitment and endurance of the dogs, and sometimes luck.

The race route runs on frozen rivers, climbs four mountain ranges, and passes through isolated, northern villages. With temperatures hitting 40 below, 100 mile-an-hour winds, open water and bad ice all working against the teams, the Yukon Quest is a true test of the capacity of humans and canines, and a tribute to the strength of the ancient bond that unites them.

Vist their site here.

--------------------

user posted image

Vote in the 2013 Music Awards

Dear Lord, lest I continue in my complacent ways, help me to remember that someone died for me today. And if there be war, help me to remember to ask and to answer "am I worth dying for?" - Eleanor Roosevelt

The ultimate result of shielding men from the effects of folly is to fill the world with fools.
-- Herbert Spencer, English Philosopher (1820-1903)
PMEmail Poster My Photo Album               
Swanny 
Posted: 06-Feb-2007, 11:11 AM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian

Group: Celtic Nation
ZodiacBirch

Realm: Two Rivers, Alaska

male

Although I really should be packing and loading the car to return to work for two weeks, commenting on the Quest line up is much more fun.

Here are some of my favorites, and why:

Lance Mackey has to top the list of contenders, just because of past performances. He has truly awesome dogs and knows how to train and handle them. The bond between musher and dogs is definitely a big part of the Mackey outfit. I have to favor him to win this race.

That being said, Hans Gatt always performs well in the Quest, is as experienced as anyone on this trail, and is just as close with his dogs as is Lance. Add to it a bit of personal rivalry, and we have all the hallmarks of a hotly contested race.

William Kleedehn is one of my favorites, just because he's the sort of guy I really admire. He's overcome tremendous personal hardships to do what he loves, and do it in a most excellent manner. He's run this trail both directions several times and certainly has the ability and the dogs to win it.

I love people with character, and Sebastian Schnuelle certainly qualifies as a character, with character. Last year one of our local mushers lost her mother, and at the same time a handler she had hired stiffed her for the airfare and expense money she had forwarded the person to move to Alaska. Sebastian heard about it, and sent her one of his handlers for the season. That was a very, very classy move on his part. Sebastian is just as good and just as competitive as anyone else on the trail.

Dave Dalton's "Dalton Gang" have been flying under the radar all season long. No one I know has seen him or his dogs on the trail, so he can't be discounted. He's been running this race for many years and always been competitive. He's also a very nice guy who lives and breaths to care for and run his dogs. If there is a dark horse in this year's race, I think the Dalton Gang would qualify.

Frank Turner has run every Quest in history except one, stepping aside last year for his son, Saul's attempt. This year he's back on the runners. Frank frequently proves the adage that "Experience and guile can overcome youthful vigor". He know the ropes and doesn't mind tossing in a knot or two.

John Schandelmeier likes to run rescue dogs in his Quest team, and they perform exceptionally well for him. He's had a good year thus far in some of the shorter races and he's always well prepared for the Quest.

Personally, and it's only my personal opinion, Hugh Neff doesn't love his dogs enough to win the race. They'll give him a solid performance but I doubt he'll ever get the extra effort from them that's needed to win the Toughest Sled Dog Race in the World.

Regina Wycoff won the Spirit of the Yukon award last year, and it was well earned. Last year at Angel Creek she had a dog with a relatively minor injury to a tail that required the tip of the poor dog's tail be amputated. She was given the choice of dropping the dogs so it could be treated with pain meds, or keeping the dog on the line. She didn't hesitate for a single second to give the dog the pain relief. On Eagle Summit she rescued two Quest 300 mushers by guiding one to the main trail while carrying another (who had lost his team) on her sled. Then she went on to finish the race. Those types of actions on the part of a musher speak volumes to her character, and as I said earlier, I LOVE people with character. She may not win, but you can bet big money she'll place very highly this year.

Brent Sass won the Quest 300 last year, surviving the Eagle Summit storm to do so. He's been training hard and smart this year and I think he'll perform exceptionally well. He's a young guy with good dogs and a good brain and will be one to watch for many years to come.

Bob McAlpin is a bit of an unknown to most Quest followers, but he is well known and well respected in the Two Rivers, Alaska area. As a recreational musher he has earned a high degree of respect for his training regimen, in spite of a difficult work schedule. He is also a tremendously skilled woodsman. He loves the sport, loves his dogs, and knows how to train them to peak performance. I'll pick Bob as our Rookie of the Year.

As I look over the line up, at least half the mushers entered are people who I know have the dog-savvy and the skills to win a major long distance race. Most of the others are simply folks I don't know and can't honestly comment on.

We still don't have a lot of snow, at least not on the Alaska side. When I drove my dogs yesterday they were hard packed, icy and very fast. If the conditions are similar on the Yukon Territory side, we could see a very fast race, maybe even a record breaker.

I'm scheduled to do my volunteer shift on Wednesday, February 21st and local wisdom is that I'll be watching the lead teams sail past the only major highway crossing in the race. If conditions remain as fast as they were yesterday, I may well miss the leaders and instead watch the second wave.

That's my take from here - take it for what it's worth. It sure looks like fun, though.

--------------------
user posted image "You can't run with the big dogs if you still pee like a puppy".

Stardancer Historical Freight Dogs, Two Rivers, Alaska.

"Aut pax, aut bellum" (Clan Gunn)
PMEmail Poster               
stevenpd 
Posted: 10-Feb-2007, 12:47 PM
Quote Post

Group Icon

ZodiacReed

male

The Quest is to start in a few hours today! 11:00am AST (8:00pm GMT)

The Start Banquet is over, the mushers have drawn their numbers, and here are the results!

1. Richie Beattie
2. Mike Jayne
3. Brent Sass
4. William Kleedehn
5. Aaron Burmeister
6. Bob McAlpin
7. Benedikt Beisch
8. Tom Benson
9. Dave Dalton
10. Peter Ledwidge
11. Michelle Phillips
12. Lance Mackey
13. Regina Wycoff
14. Kelly Griffin
15. Catherine Pinard
16. Greg Parvin
17. Hans Gatt
18. Frank Turner
19. Hugh Neff
20. J.T. Hessert
21. Kyla Boivin
22. Sebastian Schnuelle
23. Gerry Willomitzer
24. Kiara Adams
25. Russ Bybee
26. William Hanes
27. Yuka Honda
28. John Schandelmeier

Good luck to all! This should be a fun race!
Swanny 
Posted: 10-Feb-2007, 10:31 PM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian

ZodiacBirch

male

The Quest teams are off and running, and the Quest 300 teams should be in the process of starting their own race as I write.

Apparently the start went off very smoothly, except for J.T. Hessert who missed his start time. As allowed by the rules he was allowed to leave after the last scheduled musher, but his time started as oroiginally scheduled, so he's lost neatly half an hour from the very get-go.

PMEmail Poster               
Swanny 
Posted: 13-Feb-2007, 11:57 PM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian

ZodiacBirch

male

To no one's surprise, Thomas Tetz won the YQ-300.

As usually happens in the Quest, the mushers are starting to group up, and this year the leading group is setting a blazing pace that, if kept up, could easily result in a new trail record. Bill Kleedehn, Gerry Willomitzer, Lance Macky and Hugh Neff all left Stewart River en route to Dawson with 8 minutes of each other. They clearly represent the leading group.

In the second group we have Hans Gatt, Michelle Phillips, Aaron Burmeister and Sebastian Schnuelle, who are also out of Stewart River.

A five year old female dog on Yuka Honda's team died in the race.

Yukon Quest Veterinary Pathologist Matti Kiupel and Head Veterinarian Vern Starks announced the preliminary findings of a gross necropsy performed last night on musher Yuka Honda’s deceased dog Jewel.

"The preliminary findings tell us that Jewel, a five-year-old female member of Yuka Honda’s team, regurgitated, aspirated and died from asphixiation," said Kuippel.

According to Yukon Quest Race Marshal Mike McCowan, Yuka Honda was on the trail outside Braeburn traveling toward Carmacks when the team’s lead dogs became tangled with the swing dogs.

Honda then stopped her team, set two snow anchors and dismounted the sled to untangle the front-runners.

"Yuka’s team pulled the brakes and got away from her," said McCowan. "Yuka ran down the trail after her team, was picked up by musher Brent Sass (bib number 3) and when they caught up with her team, Jewel was expired."

Honda arrived in Carmacks, the race’s second official checkpoint 177 miles (284 kilometres) north of Whitehorse at 10:51 p.m. Sunday night with Jewel in the sled bag.

Honda is running 1987 Yukon Quest Champion Bill Cotter’s dogs in this year’s race.

"I told her to keep going and get that team to the finish line in Fairbanks," said Cotter, who is also Honda’s handler.

Honda was encouraged by both Bill Cotter (the dog's owner) and by race officials to continue the race for the psychological well being of the other dogs on the team, as well as for herself.

So far my forecast of Bob McAlpin for rookie of the year is bust. He is running in last place, well behind the next team.

Swanny

PMEmail Poster               
stevenpd 
Posted: 14-Feb-2007, 11:29 PM
Quote Post

Group Icon

ZodiacReed

male

All I can say at this point is I'm stunned. Loosing a dog like that. I hope my favorite rookie keeps going. Especially after what happened last year. It's going to be even more important that she finishes.

I see that Mackey has developed a very nice four hour lead. This should come in handy after the 36 hour layover in Dawson City. If the weather holds the trails should remain in good shape for all.

Swanny, what's the rumor mill grinding out?
Swanny 
Posted: 16-Feb-2007, 12:02 AM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian

ZodiacBirch

male

What I'm hearing most around here is "Oh my God, I can't believe he did that in one run." That refers to Lance Mackey's run from Stewart River to Dawson City with only a short snack break.

There is a lot of concern about the very hard, fast trails. While hard trails make for fast runs, they are very hard on the dogs. Sort of like you or I pounding away on a paved surface for hour after hour. A single slip of a dog's foot on that icy surface can result in sprained wrists, shoulders or even career ending AC separations.

To bootie up or not to bootie up. That is the question. While booties may pad and protect the dogs feet, they can also be very slippery on hard packed icy trails. The key to finishing this race this year is controlling the speed and keeping as as many dogs as possible healthy and injury-free.

Swanny
PMEmail Poster               
stevenpd 
Posted: 16-Feb-2007, 09:05 PM
Quote Post

Group Icon

ZodiacReed

male

Can Mackey keep this pace up? It looks like the trail has taken yet another musher with Frank Turner scratching. But I see my favorite rookie is still hanging in there.
stevenpd 
Posted: 17-Feb-2007, 01:59 PM
Quote Post

Group Icon

ZodiacReed

male

News update (the race leaders are on this part of the trail):

Trail Report #8 Eagle to Slavin's Roadhouse ~ 100 miles

(Based on reports from Race Manager Alex Olesen at the musher's meeting in Dawson City)

The mushers will leave Eagle and head back onto the Yukon River.  They will follow the river all the way to Circle.  The snow is thin on the Alaska side of the trail due to low snowfall and high winds.  Eagle has had the most significant winds of the season and trailbreakers report that there is some glare ice along the trail although it will get better as the mushers get closer to Slavin's.

Trail conditions along most of the river are reported to be hard packed and wind blown.  Classic conditions for the Yukon River.

Fifty miles into the run, the mushers will come across Trout Creek Cabin.  This is traditionally an informal hospitality stop with a warm cabin and water for the dogs, however, the owners were not able to get out to open up the cabin this year, so the mushers will have to fend for themselves.

Trailbreakers report no other hazards on the trail.  Mushers will head into Slavin's Roadhouse on the left side of the Yukon River.  Slavin's Roadhouse is in the Yukon Charley National Park and Preserve and manned by National Park Service employees as a partnership with the Yukon Quest.  They snowmachine and fly into Slavin's from Eagle and set up shop for the mushers.

A few weeks ahead of time, trailbreakers use snowmachines and drags to create a landing strip on the Yukon River Ice in front of the cabin.  Here, ski planes can land and airlift out dropped dogs into Circle.  It is a favorite spot on the trail for mushers and officials.
Swanny 
Posted: 17-Feb-2007, 10:22 PM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian

ZodiacBirch

male

Hi Steve. I have good news and bad news for you.

Your favorite rookie, Yuka Honda has arrived in Dawson City, so she is no longer considered a YQ rookie.

The bad news is that the newly crowned veteran has decided to scratch. Not many details are known at the moment.

DAWSON CITY, YUKON (Feb 17, 2007: 2:00 p.m.) – Yukon Quest musher Yuka Honda, of Healy, Alaska, has become the fourth musher to scratch from the 2007 race.

Honda (bib #27) scratched this afternoon in Dawson City. She arrived at the Dawson City Checkpoint Friday at 6:36 pm and was scheduled to depart at 6:39 am Sunday. Yuka was overdue by a few hours when she came into Dawson City with one dog in her sled basket, but arrived with a smile on her face and a healthy looking dog team.
No official reason has been provided at this time for Yuka's decision to scratch from the 2007 Yukon Quest.
PMEmail Poster               
stevenpd 
Posted: 17-Feb-2007, 11:08 PM
Quote Post

Group Icon

ZodiacReed

male

I'm stunned and disappointed . . .

How can you not like a musher that races dogs because she likes to watch dogs rumps!

Oh well. may next time! But glad to see she is at least a veteran now.
Swanny 
Posted: 19-Feb-2007, 09:03 AM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian

ZodiacBirch

male

This is so lop-sided that it's hardly even fair. Lance has left Central en route to the 101 mile dog drop after more than five hours rest. He left about an hour or so before Hans, in second place, even arrived there. I imagine Lance will arrive at the 101 within the next couple of hours as it's a pretty short run though a heck of a steep climb.

It's been bitterly cold on the trail, and that bitter weather is headed toward the Tanana Valley, and my place. The temperature is dropping already and it's expected we'll be seeing lows in the minus forties by Wednesday night.

To read how the weather is impacting the Quest mushers, there is a newspaper article on the topic at http://newsminer.com/2007/02/19/5354/

If Mackey keeps up this pace he is poised to shatter every speed record there is for the Yukon Quest. I am truly in awe.

Swanny
PMEmail Poster               
stevenpd 
Posted: 19-Feb-2007, 08:43 PM
Quote Post

Group Icon

ZodiacReed

male

Someone's burning the trail up!

Race fans predicted a fast 2007 Yukon Quest and the mushers are not disappointing them.  If the race stays on pace, Fairbanks could see the winner crossing the finish line on the Chena River sometime Tuesday morning with the race for the top 5 positions later that evening.  This is almost a day earlier than traditional races.

The Yukon Quest Alaska Office in conjuntion with the Fairbanks Downtown Association has planned Yukon Quest Fest for this week, a series of events focused downtown and celebrating this international event.  Events are set to begin on Wednesday night, Feb 21st at the Big I for the 'Watch for the Headlamp Party' to welcome mushers as they arrive.  The Big I will have live music, door prizes, games and drink specials available for race fans as they await the teams.

This party is still on track, however, we would like to welcome you to join us at the Big I on Tuesday as well.  Insiders speculate that Tuesday night will be the time to watch the race for the top 5 positions.  Stay warm and join the party at the Big I while we watch for the musher's headlamp coming down the Chena River.
Swanny 
Posted: 20-Feb-2007, 08:15 PM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian

ZodiacBirch

male

Someone burned up the trail - big time. Lance came into town shattering ALL previous records. He "raised the bar" by a bit more than 11 hours. I am AWESTRUCK.

This finish line photo is the only time I've ever seen Lance's leader actually looking tired. (hunch backed, stiff legged gait, ears and tail down).

user posted image
PMEmail Poster               
stevenpd 
Posted: 20-Feb-2007, 08:38 PM
Quote Post

Group Icon

ZodiacReed

male

Those dogs look exhausted! All the way down the line.

Congratulations to Lance, it must of been the new jacket.
0 User(s) are reading this topic (0 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll

Celtic RadioTM broadcasts through Live365.com and StreamLicensing.com which are officially licensed under SoundExchange, ASCAP, BMI, SESAC and SOCAN.
©2014 Celtic Radio Network, Highlander Radio, Celtic Moon, Celtic Dance, Ye O' Celtic Pub and Celt-Rock-Radio.
All rights and trademarks reserved. Read our Privacy Policy.
Celtic Graphics ©2014, Cari Buziak

Link to CelticRadio.net!
Link to CelticRadio.net
View Broadcast Status and Statistics!

Best Viewed With IE 8.0 (1680 x 1050 Resolution), Javascript & Cookies Enabled.

[Home] [Top]

Celtic Hearts Gallery | Celtic Mates Dating | My Celtic Friends | Celtic Music Radio | Family Heraldry | Medival Kingdom | Top Celtic Sites | Web Celt Blog | Video Celt