Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )
   Mobile App

Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll

> Harry Potter And The Deathly Hallows, Book Seven, July 21st!
Bookmark and Share
Haldur 
Posted: 04-Feb-2007, 05:31 AM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian

Group: Celtic Nation
ZodiacWillow

Realm: Grayson, KY

male

It's gonna be grand! Simply cannot wait...and not long after the Order of the Phoenix movie release, either! It's going to be an awesome summer...any Potter readers?

--------------------
Haldr, Traveller of the Great Forest

"After all is said and done, a lot more will be said than done."

- Unknown

user posted image
PMEmail PosterUsers Website My Photo Album               
Aaediwen 
Posted: 04-Feb-2007, 11:02 AM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian
Group Icon

Group: Super Moderator
ZodiacHolly

Realm: Kentucky

male

Mom swears she wants to read it first. I may have to sneak it in to the house. But then I've also got other stuff to be reading on too so I may not fight her for it.

--------------------
Poet and seeker of knowledge

Mountain Legacy -- Born in the isles, raised in Appalachia
PMEmail Poster My Photo Album               View My Space Profile.
CelticCoalition 
Posted: 05-Feb-2007, 12:54 PM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian
Group Icon

Group: Ireland
ZodiacReed

male

I'll be sure to pick up a copy.

I can't wait to see how the whole thing ends. I especially want to see what happens with Snape.

--------------------
user posted imageuser posted imageuser posted image
May those who love us love us
And those who don't love us
May God turn their hearts,
And if He doesn't turn their hearts,
May He turn their ankles,
So we'll know them by their limping.
PMEmail Poster               
Sekhmet 
Posted: 06-Feb-2007, 02:21 PM
Quote Post

Queen of Hel -...um, Argyll...

ZodiacAlder

Realm: Pittsburgh-ish, Pennsylvania

female

Considering the unmitigated mess she left book six with, I'm more fascinated with how she's going to tie up innumerable loose ends and some really clunky plot devices to make this *the* last book. The way six was running it was going to take two or three....or a really, *really* thick book seven. Poor children would get hernias! LOL

--------------------
PMEmail Poster               View My Space Profile.
stoirmeil 
Posted: 06-Feb-2007, 02:38 PM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian

ZodiacBirch

Realm: New York

QUOTE (Sekhmet @ 06-Feb-2007, 02:21 PM)
Considering the unmitigated mess she left book six with, I'm more fascinated with how she's going to tie up innumerable loose ends and some really clunky plot devices to make this *the* last book.

Uh huh . . . I confess I'm only curious now about how she's going to get a wrap that has any literary merit at all (not that it ever was top drawer in that respect). I usually don't leave single books of most any kind unfinished, once I get into them, so I guess I'll say the same for this series, but this time I'm not going to any midnight parties over it. no.gif

Aaediwen -- can't you and your mom each have your own copy? I think B&N is selling them for a deep discount-- $20 instead of more like $35.
PMEmail Poster               
Sekhmet 
Posted: 06-Feb-2007, 03:52 PM
Quote Post

ZodiacAlder

female

I read book six, and I thought I had missed something, so I read it again. I got done with it again, thought I *still* must've missed something, went back and read it a third time. Nope, it was still like that. It just wasn't nearly as satisfying and infinitely more confusing than the other books, seeming to me to be more of a product of things being slapped together for the sake of a publication deadline than actual wordsmithing. I *really* hope seven isn't like that...besides, if I have to listen to the 'shippers have another hissy fit about Harry and Ginny I might have to go postal. wink.gif

I'm beginning to like Potter-fic better...
stoirmeil 
Posted: 13-Mar-2007, 09:57 AM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian

ZodiacBirch

I think fanfic is a criminal display of bone-laziness, frankly. Go loft up your own characters and setting. That's over and above my dislike of someone's appropriating someone else's work product for uses they probably wouldn't approve of or give consent to. Way beyond "imitation is the sincerest form of praise."

Rowling, I believe, is the victim of her marketing handlers more than anything -- especially the website, which is a big part of the problem with the thing being disorganized. More "information" about her fictional world, characters and premises is given out there, outside the boundaries of the book, than I've ever seen happen anywhere. Impossible to keep any literary control, especially with fans partially driving the plot by their fic'cy little fantasy demands. Rowling's got a fertile imagination and she did a good deal of preliminary research, but she's never had a sense of what to leave out, or that when you introduce a thing or a character in a given moment, it's not just because it's ingenious or atmospheric -- it has to be followed through.

So much for "Wonderful! She's got the kids reading again!" What she's got the kids doing is mass consuming, and they were doing that anyway.

PMEmail Poster               
Sekhmet 
Posted: 13-Mar-2007, 03:21 PM
Quote Post

ZodiacAlder

female

I don't mind fanfic. I enjoy a well-written story, nevermind who wrote it, really. If a work of fiction enjoys any kind of popularity, you'd best be believin' that there's going to be ficcers hot on its tail.

And it's only natural if you think about it. No author has the capacity to feed any die-hard fan's demand, which leads to desire for immersion into a given fictional world, and the wonderful world of what-if. People want to figure out those mysteries, and by damn they will one way or the other!

Besides, it's a *relatively* (that's a big operative word) safe way to cut one's teeth in writing. A lot of writers have a helluva time with character and world-building and are still figuring out the basic mechanics of prose. If they go with something familiar, (at least the hope is) the rest of the writing skills will come later.

Course the flip-side of that is said rabid fan-base shredding things because, amongst other things, it doesn't fit their version of how this fictional world works, or errors in the holiest of holies, canon. Which is also extremely subjective.

I've seen some wonderful stuff come out of the fic community. There's a couple I can think of that I wish to any god listening that they'd strike off on their own with original material and get their butts published. But...they seem to be happy where they are. :shrug:

Anyway, JK is a victim of a lot of things, I think. One, I'm willing to bet that when the first book got published that she had *no* idea of how all seven years of Harry's schooling was going to pan out. When that book turned into a worldwide phenomena, I bet there were long moments of that poor lady having deer in headlights syndrome. Wouldn't it just turn your head right around? I think I'd just up and plotz.

I also think she let not only her publisher, but her fan-base dictate a lot of things that have effected her writing. Having all this "canon" is great, it's wonderful, but it limits the hell out of you when you're trying to break new ground (or you're wingin' it). Plus, if it's going to take another year for this book's elements to gel. take the damned year! What are they going to do, not publish it when it's ready? Yes yes, I know, contracts and other obligations, but they can be renegotiated.

I'm having questions about her ability to write above the juvenile/young adult level she started out from. There's NOTHING wrong with that. Except when one tries to write in a different genre and the end product isn't nearly as good. From what I understand the idea was that the books were to grow in age appropriate-ness as her children grew up (and coincidentally, the main characters). That's a great idea, *but*...it seems to me the more the books "age", the worse the writing gets.

I hope I'm wrong.

Now cos-play people...THEY scare me.
MDF3530 
  Posted: 01-Jul-2007, 06:13 PM
Quote Post

Madman with a box
Group Icon

Group: Scotland
ZodiacAlder

Realm: Midlothian, IL

male

I think that all questions will be answered, all wants satisfied, with Harry Potter & The Deathly Hallows. I know we all have our theories on whether or not Harry dies (I wouldn't be suprised either way), who R.A.B. is (my money is on Sirius' late brother, Regulus), etc.

I have reserved a copy from my library.

--------------------
Mike F.

May the Irish hills caress you.
May her lakes and rivers bless you.
May the luck of the Irish enfold you.
May the blessings of Saint Patrick behold you.

user posted image
PMEmail PosterMy Photo Album               
Robert Phoenix 
Posted: 29-Jul-2007, 10:05 PM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian

ZodiacIvy

Realm: Ironwood, MI

male

Stop youre sobbing. More HP stuff coming out.
In her first tell-all interview since the release of “Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows,” J.K. Rowling told TODAY’s Meredith Vieira she “probably will” publish a Potter encyclopedia, promising many more details about her beloved characters and the fate of the wizarding world beyond the few clues provided in the seventh book’s epilogue.

The link to tthe whole article "which contains spoilers" if you have not finished Deathly Hallows is here

http://today.msnbc.msn.com/id/19935372/

--------------------
Unavoidably Detained by the World

"Irishness is not primary a question of birth or blood or language; it is the condition on being involved in the Irish situation, and usually of being mauled by it."-Conor Cruise O'Brien

Pour mouth to mouth
PMEmail Poster               
ballydun 
Posted: 29-Jul-2007, 11:14 PM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian

ZodiacWillow

Realm: Albuquerque, New Mexico

female

Well, I don't read the H.P. books for their mechanics or anything other than a good story. I think the books are great and I haven't been disappointed yet. The movies are pretty bad in my opinion, but that is to be expected I suppose.

I really enjoyed the last book, and I honestly hop she writes about something completly different and leaves the Hogwarts world behind.

--------------------
[color=red]"I've learned that whenever I decide something with an open heart, I usually make the right decision." Maya Angelou

PMEmail Poster               
stoirmeil 
Posted: 01-Aug-2007, 07:25 PM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian

ZodiacBirch

QUOTE (Sekhmet @ 13-Mar-2007, 03:21 PM)

Anyway, JK is a victim of a lot of things, I think. One, I'm willing to bet that when the first book got published that she had *no* idea of how all seven years of Harry's schooling was going to pan out. When that book turned into a worldwide phenomena, I bet there were long moments of that poor lady having deer in headlights syndrome. Wouldn't it just turn your head right around? I think I'd just up and plotz.

I also think she let not only her publisher, but her fan-base dictate a lot of things that have effected her writing. Having all this "canon" is great, it's wonderful, but it limits the hell out of you when you're trying to break new ground (or you're wingin' it). Plus, if it's going to take another year for this book's elements to gel. take the damned year! What are they going to do, not publish it when it's ready? Yes yes, I know, contracts and other obligations, but they can be renegotiated.

Ah, I've suspected as much right along. But the myth was established fairly early on that the main narrative arc was constructed in stone right from the first day she imagined it, and I'm sure she's sticking to that claim. And if it was, then all that other stuff that was or might have been fan-driven is like so much maniacal kudzu hanging off the structure and choking any hint of forward motion. Maddening -- but I could feel sorry for any aothor that gets painted into a corner like that.

Very relieved it's over. If I have any recommendation for anyone reading it, stop right after the showdown, which is slam-bang fantastic, and DO NOT read the epilogue, which was a huge mistake.
PMEmail Poster               
dundee 
Posted: 02-Aug-2007, 09:45 AM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian
Group Icon

Group: Scotland
ZodiacReed

male

ahhhh so who dies... the little girl???
how about harry's friend....

i got half way through the first movie before i left...
and as far as reading the books... there are much better things
to spend my time reading.... then again i am an old fart... *L*

--------------------
jim

www.greyaengus.com

"If I say something that can be interpreted in two ways, and one of the ways makes you sad or angry, I meant it the other way."

often in error, never in doubt.

if guns kill people then my pencil mis-spells words
quote: larry the cable guy

sometimes what ya think ya want
isnt what ya thought ya wanted
till ya get what ya thought ya wanted
and then what ya had is gone....
PMEmail PosterUsers WebsiteMy Photo Album               
0 User(s) are reading this topic (0 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll

Celtic RadioTM broadcasts through Live365.com and StreamLicensing.com which are officially licensed under SoundExchange, ASCAP, BMI, SESAC and SOCAN.
©2014 Celtic Radio Network, Highlander Radio, Celtic Moon, Celtic Dance, Ye O' Celtic Pub and Celt-Rock-Radio.
All rights and trademarks reserved. Read our Privacy Policy.
Celtic Graphics ©2014, Cari Buziak

Link to CelticRadio.net!
Link to CelticRadio.net
View Broadcast Status and Statistics!

Best Viewed With IE 8.0 (1680 x 1050 Resolution), Javascript & Cookies Enabled.

[Home] [Top]

Celtic Hearts Gallery | Celtic Mates Dating | My Celtic Friends | Celtic Music Radio | Family Heraldry | Medival Kingdom | Top Celtic Sites | Web Celt Blog | Video Celt