> Senior Research Project, Vocal Celtic Tradition
MKOC19 
Posted: 20-Mar-2007, 09:15 PM
Quote Post

Clan Member

Group: Celtic Nation
ZodiacElder

female

So here is a bit of an update on my progress....

*I have a date, April 21st at 7:30. Unfortunately, the very next day very early I have to go sing with my school choir at a performance. It will be difficult not being able to celebrate after I am done because I will need to be up extremely early the next morning.

*Instead of covering specific groups I am going to try and address specific types of song. At the moment they are...Ballads (specifically art songs), Rebellion, Drinking, Mourning, Gaelic songs (I know that this sounds like a huge category but I need to talk about the importance of them and give them a taste of a song), and there is one other category but I cant think of it. This lecture-recital is supposed to be approximately an hour. That gives me about 10mins to talk about the category, the song and sing said song. So, in the grand scheme of things that is not much time. I know that there was so much more that I could cover, but I needed to draw the line somewhere.

*Here are a few songs that I am going to do for sure or thinking about...
"Believe me if all those Endearing Young Charms" by Thomas Moore
"Danny Boy"
"Parting Glass"
"Foggy Dew"
"Carrickfergus"
"Foggy Dew"
"Wearing of the Green"
There are more but I can not think of them off the top of my head.

SO...this is where I am at the moment. I am very excited and anxious about this. Tell me what you think so far....

Thanks
Mary smile.gif
PMEmail Poster                
sisterknight 
Posted: 21-Mar-2007, 08:07 AM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian
Group Icon

Group: Ireland
ZodiacOak

Realm: clarks corner, new brunswick

female

most important is to enjoy yourself and enjoy your song choices, she'll make sure everything else falls into place!

--------------------
non nobis domine,non nobis sed nomini tua da gloriam.

OKAY, WHAT DID I DO NOW??
PMEmail Poster               
MKOC19 
Posted: 25-Mar-2007, 04:37 PM
Quote Post

Clan Member

ZodiacElder

female

smile.gif THANKS!!
PMEmail Poster                
MKOC19 
Posted: 19-Apr-2007, 10:48 PM
Quote Post

Clan Member

ZodiacElder

female

unsure.gif

OK...So here is my problem. My presentation is in less then 2 days. I was going to sing a few songs unaccompanied and my friend was going to play the piano for me for a few others so there was going to be a balace.

Well, circumstances are that I wasn't able to get the music to her soon enough for her to feel comfortable to play them. She is a very good pianist and these accompaniments aren't that complicated. She had said earlier that it wouldnt have been too much of a problem because I showed some things that I was thinking of some time ago. Anyways, this week has been very stressful for her and she has had an extremely large amount of work to do this week and for some of next week as well. She said that she doesn't want to embarrass me even though she won't and is just getting worked up with all of the things that she has due. So, she will not be accompanying me for this concert.

My question is...will it be bad if i sing everything unaccompanied? And also, would it be bad if I didn't not have a lot of upbeat songs in the program because it is harder to sing more upbeat songs without accompaniment? Tell me what you think. I was still going to have one up beat song because I can't find a replacement.

I am kind of at my wits end on this and would love some feed back.

Thanks!!!
PMEmail Poster                
j Padraig moore 
Posted: 24-Apr-2007, 06:00 AM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian

ZodiacBirch

You will probably do great a cappella!
Be confident!!

biggrin.gif
PMEmail Poster               
sisterknight 
Posted: 24-Apr-2007, 06:56 AM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian
Group Icon

ZodiacOak

female

you put your whole self into it, express the music the way it feels to you, remember to phrase, phrase, phrase and use the commas!!! alot of times music is more purer when done unaccompanied!!!
i still say enjoy!!! note.gif
PMEmail Poster               
MKOC19 
Posted: 25-Apr-2007, 02:21 PM
Quote Post

Clan Member

ZodiacElder

female

Thank you all for your help. It went so well. There were moments were it seemed that I had forgotten how to breathe and other times where I didn't think that I could talk fast enough.

The turn out was not too bad. There were moments where I was not satisfied with how I did, but I made up for it in other moments. My professor told me that I passed with flying colors. She was tempted to fail me so that I would have to stay another year because she doesnt want me to leave, but it is done and over with. Now, I have to move on to other things.

j Padraig moore and sisterknight
Thank you both for the last minute encouragement. It means so much to me. You both are fantastic. I was definately very anxious about this presentation, but it went well and its over. So, YAY!!

THANK YOU ALL SO MUCH! You are amazing people.

biggrin.gif

Love
Mary
PMEmail Poster                
sisterknight 
Posted: 26-Apr-2007, 06:56 AM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian
Group Icon

ZodiacOak

female

hurray for you!!!drinks all around!! beer_mug.gif clap.gif clap.gif
PMEmail Poster               
0 User(s) are reading this topic (0 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Reply to this topic Quick ReplyStart new topicStart Poll

© Celtic Radio Network
Celtic Radio is a TorontoCast radio station that is based in Canada.
TorontoCast provides music license coverage through SOCAN.
All rights and trademarks reserved. Read our Privacy Policy.

[Home] [Top]