Swanny 
Posted: 16-Jan-2007, 10:53 AM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian

Group: Celtic Nation
ZodiacBirch

Realm: Two Rivers, Alaska

male

While Allen Moore sleeps off the effects of the Copper Basin race, his Wife Aliy Zirkle is en route to Bethel for the start of the Kuskokwim 300. If she took the dogs I'm thinking of, it will be a very interesting race to follow. Many will be the same dogs Allen will run during his Iditarod debut in March.

Several of our favorite Iditarod contenders are running this year's Kusko, including Jeff King, Lance Mackey, Ramy Brooks, Linwood Fielder, and some others. I don't see DeeDee Jonrowe's name in this year's line up and can't help but wonder "what's with that??"

Jerry Riley is running the Kusko again this year, which is very interesting to me. Jerry is a true old-timer in the sport, the Iditarod champion in 1976. He's definitely NOT the youngest musher in the lineup.

The Kusko maintains a very nice web site at http://www.k300.org

Swanny

--------------------
user posted image "You can't run with the big dogs if you still pee like a puppy".

Stardancer Historical Freight Dogs, Two Rivers, Alaska.

"Aut pax, aut bellum" (Clan Gunn)
PMEmail Poster               
stevenpd 
Posted: 16-Jan-2007, 11:08 PM
Quote Post

An American Guardian of the Realm
Group Icon

Group: Founder
ZodiacReed

Realm: Fountain Valley, Calif.

male

Can't wait for the start on Friday night! What's frightening to me is that I am starting to recognize musher's names. This is an impressive field. Hope the weather holds. The extended forecast seems reasonable so long as the winds don't pick up.

--------------------

user posted image

Vote in the 2013 Music Awards

Dear Lord, lest I continue in my complacent ways, help me to remember that someone died for me today. And if there be war, help me to remember to ask and to answer "am I worth dying for?" - Eleanor Roosevelt

The ultimate result of shielding men from the effects of folly is to fill the world with fools.
-- Herbert Spencer, English Philosopher (1820-1903)
PMEmail Poster My Photo Album               
gettin-away 
Posted: 19-Jan-2007, 07:38 PM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian

ZodiacOak

Realm: Flushing Michigan USA

male

My daughter will be one of the volunteers handling the phones on Saturday afternoon for the race updates. She's very excited about having a chance to be part of this event after last years cold weather delays led to her missing it due to work. She said the fundraising concert Wednesday night was a big success and the town is realy pumped about this weekend. She's hoping to meet some of the racers and has promised me a t-shirt from the event.

Did you see the link about the shortage of straw in Bethel? If you can find any in town it's costing $35 a bale.

gettin-away

--------------------
Paradox...Dirty socks...Glacier Rocks...Goldilocks

user posted image
PMEmail PosterMy Photo Album               
stevenpd 
Posted: 19-Jan-2007, 11:49 PM
Quote Post

An American Guardian of the Realm
Group Icon

Group: Founder
ZodiacReed

Realm: Fountain Valley, Calif.

male

They are off!

Click here for race updates!
PMEmail Poster My Photo Album               
Swanny 
Posted: 22-Jan-2007, 03:08 AM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian

ZodiacBirch

male

1 Martin Buser 43 hours 52 min
2 Jeff King 44 hours even
3 Jon Little 46 hours 1 min
4 Rohn Buser 47 hrs even
5 Ed Iten 47 hrs 6 min
6 Hugh Neff 48 hrs 2 min
7 Tolloff Monson 49 hrs 14 min
8 Lance Mackey 49 hrs 42 min
9 Ramy Brooks 49 hrs 49 min
10 Aliy Zirkle 51 hrs 37 min 57 sec
11 Paul Gebhardt 51 hrs 37 min 58 sec

After 300 mile Martin won by only 8 minutes, and the difference between 10th and 11th place was only 1 SECOND.

WHEW!!!!
PMEmail Poster               
Swanny 
Posted: 23-Jan-2007, 01:05 AM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian

ZodiacBirch

male

As an SP Kennel sponsor, I get frequent updates from Aliy Zirkle and Allen Moore's support team while they are racing. In the last update, Kaz (Aliy's sister) described the finish of the race. Here is how she reported it:

Aliy crossed the finish line in Bethel at 10:03 pm, one second in front of Paul Gebhart.  She said she had been running with Paul on and off the entire race, especially towards the end.  She was trailing behind him through Kwethluk, where she dropped Heidi.  As they approached the finish line, there is a “No Man’s Land” where the rules for passing and repassing no longer apply.  Just before the finish, Aliy said to Doña, “Okay, girl, lets do it.”  Little 35 lb Doña, lead the team to the left of Paul’s sled and sprinted up the length of the team.  She and Bullet pulled ahead of Paul’s leaders, crossing the finish line 6” ahead of them.

Bullet, who gets her name from the shape of her nose, won the race by a “nose”.  Way to go Doña and Bullet!!!

That six inches (1 second, and probably less) represented a payday difference of $100.00. It doesn't get any more exciting or suspenseful than this.

Swanny
PMEmail Poster               
0 User(s) are reading this topic (0 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll

Celtic RadioTM broadcasts through Live365.com and StreamLicensing.com which are officially licensed under SoundExchange, ASCAP, BMI, SESAC and SOCAN.
©2014 Celtic Radio Network, Highlander Radio, Celtic Moon, Celtic Dance, Ye O' Celtic Pub and Celt-Rock-Radio.
All rights and trademarks reserved. Read our Privacy Policy.
Celtic Graphics ©2014, Cari Buziak

Link to CelticRadio.net!
Link to CelticRadio.net
View Broadcast Status and Statistics!

Best Viewed With IE 8.0 (1680 x 1050 Resolution), Javascript & Cookies Enabled.

[Home] [Top]

Celtic Hearts Gallery | Celtic Mates Dating | My Celtic Friends | Celtic Music Radio | Family Heraldry | Medival Kingdom | Top Celtic Sites | Web Celt Blog | Video Celt