Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )
   Mobile App

Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll

> New Year Read Goals For 2007, What do you plan to read this year?
Bookmark and Share
DesertRose 
Posted: 09-Jan-2007, 04:28 PM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian

Group: Celtic Nation
ZodiacAlder

Realm: The desert of Arizona

female

If some of you are like me, I have a TBR (to be read) list a mile long! ARGH! Here are my goals for the 2007.

1. Finish reading A Breath of Snow and Ashes, Diana Gabaldon
2. Finish reading Highland Rebel, Loren Teague
4. Read lots of American and Scottish history books I have in possession.
5. Read books on good health.

Anyone plan to share?

--------------------
Fine art & photography by DESERT ROSE IMAGES
http://www.desertrose-images.com
PMEmail PosterUsers WebsiteMy Photo Album               
Lady of the Loch 
Posted: 09-Jan-2007, 07:07 PM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian
Group Icon

Group: Scotland
ZodiacBirch

Realm: Indiana

female

I want to try and read what I have before going and buying more. I am guilty of buying some like every couple of weeks and my "to read list" is piling up biggrin.gif I am already on my 4th book for the year and hopefully, I will get those done before giving into temptation to buy more, well, except if a new one of one of my fav authors is introduced hahahaha
PMEmail Poster                View My Space Profile.
haynes9 
Posted: 09-Jan-2007, 10:11 PM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian
Group Icon

Group: Super Moderator
ZodiacElder

Realm: Ganado, Navajo Nation, Arizona

male

Well, I plan on reading the Bible through again this year. I also am reading a historical novel called Ireland that was recommended to me. So far, it is a good read. I was also given another book on the Civil War by my son-in-law and daughter. And I hope to read another biography on a Native American leader (I have several in my library I need to finish).

--------------------
Always vote for principle, though you may vote alone, and you may cherish the sweetest reflection that your vote is never lost. -- John Quincy Adams

Do your duty in all things. You cannot do more, you should never wish to do less - Robert E. Lee

For whosoever shall call upon the name of the Lord shall be saved - Romans 10:13 (KJV)

The Lord is good, a strong hold in the day of trouble, and he knoweth them that trust in him - Nahum 1:7 (KJV)
DesertRose 
Posted: 09-Jan-2007, 10:24 PM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian

ZodiacAlder

female

Haynes, have you read "Bury My Heart at Wounded Knee?" I so love that book. What other Native American history books do you recommend? Thanks!
haynes9 
Posted: 09-Jan-2007, 11:34 PM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian
Group Icon

ZodiacElder

male

QUOTE (CelticRose @ 09-Jan-2007, 09:24 PM)
Haynes, have you read "Bury My Heart at Wounded Knee?" I so love that book.  What other Native American history books do you recommend?  Thanks!

Great book! Another I enjoyed was Custer Died for your Sins. For where I live, The Book of the Navajo is a good read. The Fox and the Whirlwind is a paired biography of General George Crook and Geronimo. For fiction, anything by Tony Hillerman in his Chee and Leaphorn books is a great read!
DesertRose 
Posted: 10-Jan-2007, 01:02 AM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian

ZodiacAlder

female

Hello Haynes. I do have The Book of the Navaho and it is a terrific book. Love the photos in it too.

I have not seen or read "Custer Died For Your Sins" or The Fox and Whirlwind." never heard or seen either of these books and I thought I saw them all!

I have heard truly great things about Tony Hillerman though. I really need to get on the ball and read his books. I hear they are awesome!

Thanks so much for your recommendations! thumbs_up.gif
haynes9 
Posted: 10-Jan-2007, 01:06 AM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian
Group Icon

ZodiacElder

male

My pleasure! I have quite a few other Native American books that are good reads. I recently read a book on the life of Red Cloud. Pretty amazing stuff. Some of those nuggets you just have to dig for!

DesertRose 
Posted: 10-Jan-2007, 01:07 AM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian

ZodiacAlder

female

QUOTE (Lady of the Loch @ 09-Jan-2007, 07:07 PM)
I want to try and read what I have before going and buying more. I am guilty of buying some like every couple of weeks and my "to read list" is piling up biggrin.gif I am already on my 4th book for the year and hopefully, I will get those done before giving into temptation to buy more, well, except if a new one of one of my fav authors is introduced hahahaha

hey Lady of the Loch! I am soooooooooooo guilty of buying books that I have yet to have time to read. My TBR list is embarrassing! My goal is to get to them all this year! Wish us all luck, eh? wink.gif smile.gif
Siobhan Blues 
Posted: 10-Jan-2007, 11:48 AM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian

ZodiacOak

Realm: Pursuing happiness at 'The Shire' in western Georgia where hummingbirds buzz & horses graze

female

I too have a stack of books waiting to be perused! The first two came from a book sale our library in Cobb County that my daughter made me attend(we had to cart our treasures to the car in a big box!!)

"God Said, 'Ha!'" Julia Sweeney
"Dancing Through Life in a Pair of Broken Heels" Mickey Guisewite

This one is a very old book given to me years ago by my friend Terri's dad Hollis Frey, who died recently; when he gave me this book he said he knew my interest in Scotland and the UK would make me the one person he knew who would really enjoy it. He was such a sweet gentleman, and we'll miss him. Hollis gave me this:
"The Romance of the Highlands" Alex Campbell, F.S.S.Scot. 1927
(There is an inscription inside that reads 'A.T. Arthur From His Sister', 'To Hugh McLaughlan from Dad J. McLaughlan' and then 'To Hollis From Hughie'. then on the next page it says "Mr. A. McLaughlan, 13 Moor Lane, Bedford England'
I just love the idea that this book has been through so many hands!)

The other books in my unread stack include:
"Cash - the Autobiography" Johnny Cash
"Paris to the Moon" Adam Copnik
"The Collected Stories" Eudora Welty

--------------------
"All that is gold does not glitter, Not all those who wander are lost;
The old that is strong does not wither, Deep roots are not reached by the frost.
From the ashes a fire shall be woken, A light from the shadows shall spring;
Renewed shall be blade that was broken, The crownless again shall be king..."
user posted image

SGGardner Art

www.SouthernShireFarm.com
PMEmail PosterUsers Website               View My Space Profile.
CelticCoalition 
Posted: 10-Jan-2007, 07:40 PM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian
Group Icon

Group: Ireland
ZodiacReed

male

I have a ton of books stacked up yet to read, but there are some books comming out I'm planning on picking up:

Two new CE Murphy books
Hopefully another PJ Tracy book
two Jim Butcher books
The new Christopher Moore book
I might re-read the Stardoc novels and catch up on the new ones

Plus I'm sure there will be a bunch more comming out to tempt me too.

--------------------
user posted imageuser posted imageuser posted image
May those who love us love us
And those who don't love us
May God turn their hearts,
And if He doesn't turn their hearts,
May He turn their ankles,
So we'll know them by their limping.
PMEmail Poster               
Lady of the Loch 
Posted: 10-Jan-2007, 09:06 PM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian
Group Icon

ZodiacBirch

Realm: Indiana

female

QUOTE (CelticRose @ 10-Jan-2007, 01:07 AM)
hey Lady of the Loch! I am soooooooooooo guilty of buying books that I have yet to have time to read. My TBR list is embarrassing! My goal is to get to them all this year! Wish us all luck, eh? wink.gif smile.gif

I wish you luck on that too biggrin.gif thumbs_up.gif laugh.gif wink.gif
PMEmail Poster                View My Space Profile.
oldraven 
Posted: 11-Jan-2007, 07:33 AM
Quote Post

The Protector of the Unknown
Group Icon

ZodiacHazel

Realm: Guysborough Co., Nova Scotia

male

Ange and I need to finish Master and Fool, from J.V.Jones' Book of Words trilogy. We haven't read in months, and ended at the point of climax, (where the 'hero' is not just left for dead, but you see his last moments, where he finally encounters the antagonist). A bad place to have a hiatus, to say the least. We always have a book on the go that we take turns reading to one another at bedtime. It's like our own realtime book club. wink.gif

I want to finish The Eye of The World, from Robert Jordan's The Wheel of Time. It's the first book, and my eldest brother has been trying to get me to read it since our teens. Angela got it for me for Christmas last year. Also Phantom Islands of the Atlantic, about islands on old maps that have gone missing, or never existed to begin with (the Isles of St. Brendan, for example).

Beyond that, I have a stack of books that need reading, along with the scores of Automotive Magazines that I barely have time to leaf through lately.

--------------------
Caw

"I am a Canadian by birth, but I am a Highlander by blood and feel under an obligation to do all I can for the sake of the Highlanders and their literature.... I have never yet spoken a word of English to any of my children. They can speak as much English as they like to others, but when they talk to me they have to talk in Gaelic."

-Alexander Maclean Sinclair of Goshen (protector of Gaelic Culture)

We need more Stan Rogers.

jams
PMEmail PosterUsers Website               
DesertRose 
Posted: 20-Jan-2007, 04:08 PM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian

ZodiacAlder

female

Ok, I accomplished one of my reading goals from my list above! biggrin.gif I finished "Highland Rebel" by Loren Teague. Now onto to the others of my TBR list and I forgot the Popular Photography magazines! How could I have forgotten my magazines?! OR reminded me when he mentioned his automotive magazines.
0 User(s) are reading this topic (0 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll

Celtic RadioTM broadcasts through Live365.com and StreamLicensing.com which are officially licensed under SoundExchange, ASCAP, BMI, SESAC and SOCAN.
2014 Celtic Radio Network, Highlander Radio, Celtic Moon, Celtic Dance, Ye O' Celtic Pub and Celt-Rock-Radio.
All rights and trademarks reserved. Read our Privacy Policy.
Celtic Graphics 2014, Cari Buziak

Link to CelticRadio.net!
Link to CelticRadio.net
View Broadcast Status and Statistics!

Best Viewed With IE 8.0 (1680 x 1050 Resolution), Javascript & Cookies Enabled.

[Home] [Top]

Celtic Hearts Gallery | Celtic Mates Dating | My Celtic Friends | Celtic Music Radio | Family Heraldry | Medival Kingdom | Top Celtic Sites | Web Celt Blog | Video Celt