Swanny 
Posted: 21-Apr-2007, 10:15 AM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian

Group: Celtic Nation
ZodiacBirch

Realm: Two Rivers, Alaska

male

QUOTE (monksplay1958 @ 19-Apr-2007, 05:39 PM)
Hey Swanny! Sounds like Lynn & Kia have quite an adventure ahead of them.
How long would it take to train Kia to be a sled dog? I hope it goes well for them. Keep us posted! (your pic did not come thru)
Clicker training is a new term for me. I will look it up on the internet....I have some learning to do! And Mojo too!
And speaking of Mojo....here is an update on my pup--I moved the kennel to my garage (now that the weather is warmer) & am slowly reintroducing him to being inside my home. When I get home from work I let him run around the yard a bit & do his "duty", hand feed or put his feeding bowl in his kennel,then take him for a 45 minute walk. I am spending time with simple commands, like "sit" and "stay", and reward him with a little treat. I have also been working with him during our walks to "slow down" as he tends to get a little rambunctious & pull me forward. I have been keeping him close to me, on my left side, and don't allow him to get ahead of me. When he comes into my house, I am keeping him on his leash right next to me. So....I am establishing my control & so far, it seems to be working-little steps at a time. He sits for me & stays pretty well-though he needs to be a bit quicker in his response. More to come!
-Melissa
(p.s. how do i insert text from the previous person's posting?)

Lynn is accustomed to such adventures. She's an old hat at sled-dog rescue. She was one of the founders of the "Second Chance League", which specializes in placement of abandoned sled dogs. John Schandelmeier, a long distance racer, races teams of SCL dogs in middle and long distance races and does very well with them.

How long to train Kia as a sled dog? Good question but a bit tough to answer. Sled dogs are trained throughout their lives, it's an on-going and never-ending process. To get her accustomed to the harness may take anywhere from just a couple of minutes to four or five brief sessions over the course of a couple of days. Once she's comfortable wearing the harness I'll start hooking her up to an old tire to drag around, so that she can learn that when she's wearing her harness she should be pulling something. With these Northern breeds that are bred for the task that usually doesn't take very long at all.

To learn to run and pull with the other dogs in the team depends on how much she loves to run. My Anatoloian Shepherd / Alaskan husky mix took to it as though he were born on a gang line, but my St. Bernard mix took several training runs before he figured it out. Typically what we do is pair the "recruits" with older, more experienced sled dogs and take them out for short, fun runs. The whole trick is to make sure everyone is having fun at the activity. We are careful to make sure no one gets overly fatigued and take them on trails we know offer lots of stimulation and good smells.

We'll start out running the new kids with small teams. For example, we'll put one or two of the recruits into a team of four to six dogs. That way they don't become overwhelmed by all the excitement of huge numbers of dogs. Once they work well with small teams we can expand the number of dogs on the gang line to whatever the musher can control. My full team is six big freight dogs, but given appropriate conditions I can handle up to 12 when training with a four wheeler ATV and up to 10 running on good snow. Although Lynn is a much more experienced musher she is also MUCH smaller and lighter than I. She races 6 dog teams and trains 8 dog teams on good snow.

To see the picture, right click on the broken picture icon (or the "user posted image") with a PC or "control click" on it with a Mac. That will bring up a menu with options, including "view image". That should prompt the machine to download the image.

Here are a couple of links to clicker training sites that will offer LOTS of good information. The first is "Clicker Solutions" at http://www.clickersolutions.com/articles/i...index.htm#basic. I also like the articles posted on Karen Pryor's "Clicker Training dot Com" site, at http://www.clickertraining.com/. Start with the "Clicker Training Explained" articles on the clicker solutions page and you'll get a good overview of the science behind the method.

The speed of response to a cue is called "latency" and it's easy to train for a faster response. Start be giving the cue and reward as usual and note how long it takes the dog to respond. As the dog get's into the training session give the cue, but only give the treat for a faster response than before. For example, if the dog normally takes five seconds to respond, only reward him for responses within four seconds. If the dog hasn't responded to the cue within that four seconds just turn away, saying something like "too bad" or "nope" in a light hearted voice. Wait three to five seconds, then turn back to the dog and repeat the cue. Pretty soon the dog will figure out that to earn the treat he has to move a bit quicker. Once four-seconds is easy for the dog shorten it three, then two, then one, and then go for immediate.

I did this with my Anatolian mix and today it's really cute to watch this 75 pound well conditioned athlete literally thrown himself to the ground when given his "down" cue.

It sounds like you and Mojo are doing just fine. It's a wonderful progress report and I'm looking foward to hearing more as you guys progress.

If you'd like to learn more about my sled dog team, how I manage my kennel, care for my dogs and so forth, my personal website is at http://www.tworiversak.com/mushing.htm. Yesterday I posted updated photographs of all my dogs, including the two new pups, on my blog at http://oldschoolak.blogspot.com/

--------------------
user posted image "You can't run with the big dogs if you still pee like a puppy".

Stardancer Historical Freight Dogs, Two Rivers, Alaska.

"Aut pax, aut bellum" (Clan Gunn)
PMEmail Poster               
monksplay1958 
Posted: 24-Apr-2007, 09:27 PM
Quote Post

Servant

ZodiacReed

Realm: Michigan

female

Thanks for the great update on your mushing dogs & training, Swanny! It is very intriguing-this whole dog training & retraining thing, isn't it? This is ALL new to me as I grew up with only 1 pet for a very brief period of time-it was a cute little black lab pup that we named, Saffie (short for Sassafrass). And, no animals in my life until my daughter-a great animal lover- insisted on taking in a stray cat. Well, that cat died, and next thing you know it, we got 2 brother cats from the local animal rescue. We had them for a couple years, but we had to part with them when we moved out of our house & could not have pets in the townhouse we were moving into. We then took a couple dogs in-one at a time-but these tenures were short-lived. The last dog we had before Mojo was a gorgeous, big female collie named Lady. She was so glamorous looking, but oh my, did she ever shed! My daughter did not take very good care of her, and at that time I was spending lots of time with a guy I was dating, so we gave her to a family who lived in the country and had lots of room to roam, as well as experience with dogs. So, my daughter has grown & does not live with me anymore, but now I am bringing this little laberdoodle pup into my home-hopefully for the long haul.
I went onto your website and looked at your dog pics-you have quite the healthy looking gang! A great variety of breeds, and I'll bet they each have their own personality-just like us humans. And Kia is a beauty! It sounds like Lynn has a big heart for her dogs & other dogs in her rescuing efforts! And, with all those dogs I'll bet you keep very busy.
I spent quite a bit of time reading some of the articles/blogs & I found it very helpful. Especially the dog whisperer opinion-very informative & interesting.....I have had a few people tell me to watch the program & I never did.
And, thanks to your website, you answered my previous questions about the clicker training method-make the association between the clicker & food reward while training. Is this considered a form of classical conditioning? (At one time-way back during my college days-I remember learning about the two behavioural modification methods, operant & classical conditioning, in my psych classes. However, I would have to re-educate myself on the definition for each!)
Mojo continues to do well. I have to buy some more training treats-gotta keep up with him & all this new learning he is soaking in!
Thank you, Rosemary, for your interest in my training issues. We'll keep our fingers crossed that Mojo continues to do well.
PMEmail Poster               
Shepherdess 
Posted: 25-Jul-2007, 10:36 AM
Quote Post

Servant

ZodiacAlder

female

Have any of you taken in stray and injured animals?

Yup. I spend a good bit of my time rescue and rehab of Border Collies - I specialize in dogs who don't fit in to the suburban lifestyle and have usually earned themselves a one-way trip to the vet through biting or other frustrated herding instinct-type behavior.

Although most of the dogs who come here get a chance to work with sheep, goats, and cattle if so inclined, we mostly train dogs to drive nuisance migratory birds like Canadian geese off properties. It's fantastic to see a dog go from being a public nuisance to a valued team member using the same instincts that got him in trouble to begin with! biggrin.gif

There's sad stuff but I got kind of hardened to all that a long time ago. People are not smart about dogs - or animals - anymore and I can't honestly blame them too much.

The real heartache comes with senseless things like real deliberate abuse, terrible ignorance that permanently damages a dog, or just weird stuff like the promising and talented and lovely dog I lost a few weeks ago to cluster seizures. I cried all through that one, right up to when we made the decision to let him go. And again when we picked up his ashes. But you just keep going or the dogs suffer.

--------------------
Becca Shouse
Irena Farm, North Carolina, USA
PMEmail Poster               
DesertRose 
Posted: 28-Jul-2007, 06:09 PM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian

ZodiacAlder

Realm: The desert of Arizona

female

Sheperdess! I know it is hard but what a wonderful person you are for doing all what you do! thumbs_up.gif thumbs_up.gif

--------------------
Fine art & photography by DESERT ROSE IMAGES
http://www.desertrose-images.com
PMEmail PosterUsers WebsiteMy Photo Album               
ctbard 
Posted: 23-May-2008, 10:14 AM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian

ZodiacAlder

Realm: Connecticut

female

I took in a rescue dogs anout 1 1/2 years ago, a female airedale, Pixie, she was named Addie when I got her, but the name just didnt fit her, and we wanted to start her on a new exciting life where she was treated well.
She was kept in a crate day after day, only being taken out to the bathroom, starved,her growth was stunted, she's just a petite little girl, only about 45 pounds, compared to my other airedale whos about 95 pounds.
She was a nervous wreck when she came to our house, not housebroken, way under weight, it was awful how anyone could treat a living thing this way.
She's so happy now and frolicks with the other two pups and sleeps with me every night.
I also have a rescue african grey timneh parrot, who was stuck in a cage and ignored for 25 years, he had a broken wing when I got him, and wouldnt let me near him, now he'll climb tentively on my hand and talk to me.

--------------------
The devil whispered behind the leaves, it's pretty but is it art?
Rudyard Kipling
PMEmail PosterMy Photo Album               
DesertRose 
Posted: 23-May-2008, 02:43 PM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian

ZodiacAlder

female

ctbard, stories like this make me cry with both sadness and joy...the latter for people like yourself who help turn an animal's life around. May you have many happy years with your new furry friends.

Bless you!
ctbard 
Posted: 29-May-2008, 03:28 PM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian

ZodiacAlder

Realm: Connecticut

female

QUOTE (CelticRose @ 23-May-2008, 02:43 PM)
ctbard, stories like this make me cry with both sadness and joy...the latter for people like yourself who help turn an animal's life around. May you have many happy years with your new furry friends.

Bless you!

Finally figured out how to put a picture in the forum! Here is my sweet little rescue dog Pixie with are pug/bulldog Maeve.

Attached Image. Works with IE only! (Click thumbnail to expand)
Attached Image (Works with IE Only)
PMEmail PosterMy Photo Album               
stoirmeil 
Posted: 29-May-2008, 03:44 PM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian

ZodiacBirch

Realm: New York

QUOTE (ctbard @ 29-May-2008, 03:28 PM)
QUOTE (CelticRose @ 23-May-2008, 02:43 PM)
ctbard, stories like this make me cry with both sadness and joy...the latter for people like yourself who help turn an animal's life around.  May you  have many happy years with your new furry friends.

Bless you!

Finally figured out how to put a picture in the forum! Here is my sweet little rescue dog Pixie with are pug/bulldog Maeve.

What a beautiful. alert little face. She looks happy and healthy. You've done a wonder, ct.
PMEmail Poster               
DesertRose 
Posted: 29-May-2008, 11:27 PM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian

ZodiacAlder

female

ctbard, what an absolutely adorable face! Good on you for rescuing a dog who needed a home........and how could anyone pass by that sweet face?

Thanks for sharing!
Patch 
Posted: 04-Sep-2008, 03:07 AM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian
Group Icon

Group: Scotland
ZodiacIvy

Realm: America, Mid West

male

I put my dog out for his nightly "constitutional" last night and two dogs came back. I hope the pup ran away but as bad as the economy is here, it is hard to say. He has had a collar but has none now and of course no tags. Since his tail has been "cut" he must have some value. Hopefully he has a chip and his owners want him. He didnt look starved and other than dog biscuits he hasn't eaten anything. I put him out again a few min ago and he came right back. Our pet store went out of business a couple of weeks ago and they were selling expensive dogs of all breeds. This one is dark (almost black) brindle with white front legs shoulders and belly. He resembles a boxer but on a small scale. After wrecking my shop, my dog is hiding in the closet and this one snuck back and is sleeping at my feet. I certainly do not need two dogs now! I haven't had any sleep tonight with the running and barking. (Some of it attributed to me!)

Slàinte,    

Patch    

PMEmail Poster               
Patch 
Posted: 04-Sep-2008, 11:06 AM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian
Group Icon

Group: Scotland
ZodiacIvy

Realm: America, Mid West

male

QUOTE (Patch @ 04-Sep-2008, 04:07 AM)
I put my dog out for his nightly "constitutional"  last night and two dogs came back.  I hope the pup ran away but as bad as the economy is here, it is hard to say.  He has had a collar but has none now and of course no tags.  Since his tail has been "cut" he must have some value.  Hopefully he has a chip and his owners want him.  He didnt look starved and other than dog biscuits he hasn't eaten anything.  I put him out again a few min ago and he came right back.  Our pet store went out of business a couple of weeks ago and they were selling expensive dogs of all breeds.  This one is dark (almost black) brindle with white front legs shoulders and belly.  He resembles a boxer but on a small scale.  After wrecking my shop, my dog is hiding in the closet and this one snuck back and is sleeping at my feet.  I certainly do not need two dogs now!  I haven't had any sleep tonight with the running and barking.  (Some of it attributed to me!)

Slàinte,    

Patch    

Now that they are tired and resting I found the owner. A now VERY happy 5 year old boy who had a frantic mother! I could not believe that the closest place with a chip reader is 30 plus miles away.

Happy endings are just great!!!

Slàinte,    

Patch    
PMEmail Poster               
DesertRose 
Posted: 05-Sep-2008, 01:09 AM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian

ZodiacAlder

female

Oh wow, Patch! Sorry for you lack of sleep through all this, but glad to read good news that the pup had an owner who was looking and wanted him back!

Good on you!

valpal59 
Posted: 08-Dec-2008, 10:09 AM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian

ZodiacHolly

Realm: Texas Panhandle

female

I hope it is O.K. to put this here.

PLEASE DO THIS 'FREE' GOOD DEED - Animal Rescue

Hi, all you animal lovers. This is pretty simple... Please tell ten
friends to tell ten today! The Animal Rescue Site is having
trouble getting enough people to click on it daily to meet their quota
of getting free food donated every day to abused and neglected animals.
It takes less than a minute (How about 20 seconds) to go to their site
and click on the purple box 'fund food for animals' for free. This
doesn't cost you a thing. Their corporate sponsors/advertisers use the
number of daily visits to donate food to abandoned/neglected animals in
exchange for advertising. Here's the web site! Pass it along to people
you know.
http://www.theanimalrescuesite.com/

--------------------
user posted imageuser posted imageuser posted image

"He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog. You are his life, his love, his leader. He will be yours, faithful and true, to the last beat of his heart.

You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion."

Author Unknown
PMEmail Poster               View my Facebook Profile.View My Space Profile.
Faerydreamer 
Posted: 25-May-2009, 09:24 AM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian

ZodiacReed

Realm: Coal Country, PA

female

I have a habit of watching Craig's List for birds that need homes. Earlier this year, I saw an ad for an Orange Wing Amazon, Paolo. I also belong to a Yahoo group, Second Chance Birds. The moderator of the group also saw the same ad. Well, she ended up driving two hours to within 15 miles of my house to pick up Paolo.

When she got home, she told the story of the bird on the group. I replied with how I had emailed and never received a reply from the family. Well, she and I came to an agreement that I would pick the bird up the following weekend and reimburse her the $150 she paid for the bird. I did and it is the best thing I have done.

Paolo was kept in a cage for a smaller bird and not allowed out. He did not have any contact with the people that owned him. They only fed and watered him. I got him into a larger cage and he started to be much happier since he was allowed out of the cage most of the day. I found a really big cage for free and he loves it to no end. He goes into the cage to eat and nap during the day but stays out of it all night long. He now allows me to scratch his head and give him kisses.

He 'runs' over to the side of the cage to get me to give him lovings. He has trouble walking on the cage because his claws get caught on the wires. The former family never bothered to get his claws clipped so they loop around a bit. They are better now than when he first got here, and I am still working on them.

In the long run, I have a bird that is happy and eating well.

--------------------
Lady Faerydreamer

user posted image
PMEmail Poster               View My Space Profile.
0 User(s) are reading this topic (0 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll

Celtic RadioTM broadcasts through Live365.com and StreamLicensing.com which are officially licensed under SoundExchange, ASCAP, BMI, SESAC and SOCAN.
©2014 Celtic Radio Network, Highlander Radio, Celtic Moon, Celtic Dance, Ye O' Celtic Pub and Celt-Rock-Radio.
All rights and trademarks reserved. Read our Privacy Policy.
Celtic Graphics ©2014, Cari Buziak

Link to CelticRadio.net!
Link to CelticRadio.net
View Broadcast Status and Statistics!

Best Viewed With IE 8.0 (1680 x 1050 Resolution), Javascript & Cookies Enabled.

[Home] [Top]

Celtic Hearts Gallery | Celtic Mates Dating | My Celtic Friends | Celtic Music Radio | Family Heraldry | Medival Kingdom | Top Celtic Sites | Web Celt Blog | Video Celt